QUEEN OF SABA

Walpurgis Queen of Saba  album cover

Buy WALPURGIS Music
Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Dissapointment (3:42)
2. Hey You Over There (4:20)
3. Queen Of Saba (5:06)
4. Daily (6:54)
5. What Can I Do (To Find Myself?) (6:58)
6. My Last Illusion (11:14)

Search WALPURGIS Queen of Saba lyrics

- George Fruchtenicht / bass
- Jan Sundermeyer / congas, flute
- Jerzy Sokolowski / guitar, vocals

LP Ohr 1972

WALPURGIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WALPURGIS Queen of Saba Music

Queen Of SabaQueen Of Saba
ohr/pilz 1999
Queen Of Saba by WalpurgisQueen Of Saba by Walpurgis
ohr/pilz
Walpurgis - Queen Of Saba - Wah Wah Records - LPS052Walpurgis - Queen Of Saba - Wah Wah Records - LPS052
Wah Wah Records
Vinyl$33.75
Walpurgis - Queen Of Saba - Ohr Today - OHR 70030-1Walpurgis - Queen Of Saba - Ohr Today - OHR 70030-1
Ohr Today
Vinyl$28.36
Queen Of SabaQueen Of Saba
ohr/pilz 2008
Vinyl$23.48
queen of saba LPqueen of saba LP
OHR
Vinyl$174.00

More places to buy WALPURGIS music online Buy WALPURGIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

WALPURGIS Queen of Saba ratings distribution

WALPURGIS Queen of Saba reviews

Review by Alucard
3 stars I found the record in a second hand shop. I have never heard of the band before, but when I see a Pilz/Ohr release I buy it.So this one was a good surprise. The few things I found out about the group are mentioned above. The two sides of the record are quiet different. On Side One (tracks 1-4) arranged rock songs with double guitar and Jürgen Dollase from Wallenstein on organ and piano.They are good, but not very original,the best track is "Daily" with a nice piano solo by Dollase at the end. Side Two (Tracks 5-6) is the realy interesting side : two long improvisations in Westcoast style.(Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead) mainly based on the talented twin guitar play of Sokolmowski and Kalemba on electric and twelve string. As often the production of Dieter Dierks is excellent and the only weak point are the english vocals.
Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars 2.5 stars really!!

A double guitar quintet with a flutist/percussionist that recorded their sole album in mid- 72 in the Dierks studios producing an average proggy/psychey rock album that was released latter that year on the legendary Ohr label. As with a lot of those expensive and rare records, the music is not quite all it's cracked up to be. Even with the help of Wallenstein's Jurgen Dollasse playing keyboards, Walpurgis's music has problems interesting the demanding proghead on the first side of the album. Actually, I have rarely heard such an unexciting record coming from the Dieter Dierks studios, so this might give an idea on how over-rated this album is. They sound a bit depressing (but unlike Paternoster, this is more accidental than voluntary) and the songwriting is their most glaring weakness.

Don't get me wrong, the music in itself is not bad and the album is off to a poor start: the first two tracks are downright poor (the aptly titled Disappointment and the title track and the next two (Daily and Hey you, Over There) take their sweet time to really develop, but both end well and have interesting conga play, but none actually are really exciting, just plain acceptable fillers on a good to average album.

But the album ends in a much better fashion than it started, as side two is much more enthralling with two longer tracks. The 7-min What Can I Do? is right from the first note more enthusiasting (but still not that great IMHO) than anything on the first side, even if it is clear it is the same band. With the aptly-titled (and a bit prophetic I must sadly conclude) My Last Illusion, they desperately try to throw in everything they got, and they come close, but still do not manage enough, even if the lengthy guitars solos and great percussion work are worth the hear and are almost impressive until the track stops suddenly to start slowly thereafter (a bit pointlessly) to finish a bit later. No doubt they were filling space there too. NB: this album works best at loud volume (this means a fair amount louder than reasonable), but I don't think the songwriting is good enough to take the risk to upset the people in the same building you are in.

Nothing really worthy breaking your piggy bank over, really, Walpurgis is only for those people collecting artefact of the Ohr label rare releases. Clearly this group did not have enough chops to keep going and record their second album. I may sound a bit severe, but let's face it this album did not even manage a third spin in my deck.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Walpurgis is a band from Germany who didn't make it on market, both comercialy and musicaly. While here feature Wallenstein's main composer and keyboard player Jurgen Dollase, the band didn't survive in the jungle of bands from the early '70's, not because the music is realy bad but neither something special. Queen of Saba was relesed in may 1972 and for some reason didn't capture any attention by the public, quite contrary, I find this album pleasent most of the time, but is vague with what other bands done in that period. The music is something a la Wallenstein with some heavy prog here and there. Maybe the weakest point here is the voice, who many times is , at least to my ears to forced, to cold. Anyway some pieces worth mentioning like the opening track Disappointment and the longest from here My last illusion, the rest are almost mediocre, but not really bad. So i will give 2.5 round to 3, not an etirely bad album , but nothing special either, I know at least fifty bands from that year who sound miles ahead of this Walpurgis.

P.S - Beware the reissue of this album made by ZYX Music in 1999 had diffrent track arrangements than on CD. On the back cover the listner can see that the pieces are not puted like on the CD.

Post a review of WALPURGIS "Queen of Saba "