NIGHTPORTER

Japan Nightporter album cover

Buy JAPAN Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1982

1. Nightporter (5:02)
2. Ain't That Peculiar (4:58)

Search JAPAN Nightporter lyrics

Search JAPAN Nightporter tabs

- David Sylvian / vocals, keyboards
- Richard Barbieri / keyboards
- Mick Karn / bass, recorder (2)
- Rob Dean / guitar (2)

Vinyl 7". Virgin, VS554, date of release: 12 November 1982.

Thanks to Matti for the addition

JAPAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JAPAN Nightporter Music

NightporterNightporter
Virgin
Vinyl$89.00

13/11/1982Pg22 Single Advert 15x5 Japan, Nightporter USD $5.16 Buy It Now 13h 2m
Japan - Nightporter USD $1.28 [0 bids]
Japan LP NIGHTPORTER w/Obi japan EX !! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GEEK SLEEP SHEEP NIGHTPORTER JAPAN CD SEALED G-16223 USD $0.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Japan nightporter/Aint That Peculiar 7" vinyl 1980s new romantic 45rpm USD $1.29 [0 bids]
Japan ?- Nightporter 12" Vintage Vinyl Single 1982 UK b/w Methods Of Dance NM USD $17.95 Buy It Now 2 days
JAPAN Nightporter Pic Label 12" VINYL 6 Songs Import Japan Virgin DAVID SYLVIAN USD $22.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Japan ?- Nightporter Label: Virgin ?- VS554 Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single USD $5.15 Buy It Now 3 days
JAPAN NIGHTPORTER virgin 82 A2B2 p/s 45 EX/EX USD $7.08 Buy It Now 3 days
Nightporter Japan 7" vinyl single record UK VS554 VIRGIN 1982 USD $14.12 Buy It Now 4 days
JAPAN- Nightporter -12" Vinyl - Virgin VS554-12 USD $6.44 [0 bids]
JAPAN-GENTLEMEN TAKE POLAROIDS-CD/NIGHTPORTER/SWING/DAVID SYLVIAN/80S/POP USD $2.57 [0 bids]
nightporter : geek sleep sheep JAPAN CD SEALED G-3995 USD $1.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Japan Job Lot 2x UK 7" Nightporter Life In Tokyo EDM Electro Pop USD $7.72 Buy It Now 5 days
Japan Nightporter 12" Single A1 B2 Pressing - EX USD $9.85 Buy It Now 6 days
Japan 12" Vinyl EP NIGHTPORTER / METHODS OF DANCE 1982 Virgin David Sylvian USD $1.79 [0 bids]
JAPAN DAVID SYLVIAN NIGHTPORTER / AINT THAT PECULIAR VIRGIN RECORDS ENGLAND 1982 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID SYLVIAN*JAPAN nightporter*methods of dance 1982 UK VIRGIN 12" 45 USD $14.17 Buy It Now 10 days
JAPAN NIGHTPORTER / AIN'T THAT PECULIAR vs 554 N/M....... 45rpm USD $8.38 Buy It Now 12 days
Geek Sleep Sheep - Nightporter NEW JAPAN CD 2013 12trk TYCT-60022 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 14 days
JAPAN nightporter*ain't that peculiar 1980 UK VIRGIN PS 45 USD $9.01 Buy It Now 15 days
Japan: Nightporter / Methods Of Dance NM/NM 1982 12" single - *PLAY TESTED* USD $9.66 Buy It Now 15 days
JAPAN ~ Nightporter ~ 12" Single PS USD $5.80 Buy It Now 19 days
Sh82/24/11p38 JAPAN : NIGHTPORTER SINGLE ADVERT 11X4" USD $5.16 Buy It Now 19 days
Japan: Nightporter UK EX+ 12" USD $5.15 Buy It Now 20 days
JAPAN - Nightporter / Ain't That Peculiar 1982 UK NEW WAVE SYNTH POP Electronic USD $3.99 Buy It Now 21 days
NIGHTPORTER - WEEKEND PARADE JAPAN CD SEALED G-17763 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 23 days
Japan Nightporter, Methods Of Dance) Uk 12" USD $13.99 Buy It Now 25 days
JAPAN - EXORCISING GHOSTS - GREATEST HITS CD - QUIET LIFE / NIGHTPORTER + USD $3.60 Buy It Now 26 days
JAPAN NIGHTPORTER 12" VINYL RECORD USD $3.87 Buy It Now 26 days
GEEK SLEEP SHEEP-NIGHTPORTER--JAPAN CD G65 USD $29.50 Buy It Now 27 days
JAPAN Nightporter 7" Ps, B/W Ain't That Peculiar, Vs 554 (Vg/Ex) USD $5.15 Buy It Now 30 days

More places to buy JAPAN music online Buy JAPAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

JAPAN Nightporter ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(50%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

JAPAN Nightporter reviews

Review by Matti
4 stars I can't say that JAPAN has ever been among my favourite bands. Their clinically synthetic sound is often lacking life & emotion and many songs are just boring, artificial and monotonous. A good example actually comes as the B-side of this non-album single from the latest phase of the band's career, before the frontman DAVID SYLVIAN started a solo career (that has produced a lot of much better music than he made with Japan, in my opinion). Also worth mentioning is the keyboard player Richard Barbieri's membership in Porcupine Tree plus his own projects, e.g. teaming up with Marillion's Stve Hogarth. But back to this single. 'Ain't That Peculiar' is just one of those dead boring Japan tracks. I listened to it from YouTube and have no interest whatsoever to hear it ever again.

But there's something so fantastic about music world: one doesn't have to give a damn about a band/artist in general in order to love a song or two by them/him/her. If I'm deeply moved by a song of someone whom I couldn't care less about as an artist, I'd still let myself fully enjoy that song and simply ignore the rest of the output if it leaves me cold. 'Nightporter' is such case for me. Not necessarily the ONLY Japan song that I like, but by far the best, the one that touches me the deepest. It woud be placed quite high on my list of all-time favourite pop songs.

The song is slow, elegant, nocturnally atmospheric and beautifully melancholic. The rather minimalistic arrangement is dominated by piano, and there's a notable resemblance to the piano music of ERIK SATIE ('Gymnopedies' and such), one of the most unique figures in the world of classical music. I'm not certain if the melody is directly borrowed from a Satie piece. And Sylvian, the vocalist, pours his soul into this tune that is best suited for the late night moments when everyone's tired and it's time to depart or go to sleep. In fact, a couple of times I have played 'Nightporter' at the end of friend gatherings. Greetings to whom this concerns! - How about listening to some more of Japan, Matti? Naah, no thanks, it's so boring.

Post a review of JAPAN "Nightporter"