RESPLANDOR

Buy BUBU Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2016

1. Resplandor (3:09)
2. Omer (6:42)
3. (Se ponga el) Cielo Negro (5:39)

Search BUBU Resplandor lyrics

- Julian Bachmanovsky / drums

Guest musicians
- Pablo Murgier / keyboards
- Anibal Domínguez / flute

Composed by Daniel Andreoli (composer of 1978 album "Anabelas")

Recorded in December of 2015 in "Estudio La Sonoteca"
Produced by Pedro Chalkho and Bubu
Mixed by Pedro Chalkho
Mastered in "Estudio Titanio" by Ezequiel Morfi

Digital album (April 22, 2016)

Thanks to garlop for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

BUBU MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BUBU Resplandor Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
AnabelasAnabelas

BUBU Resplandor ratings distribution

BUBU Resplandor reviews

Review by Magnum Vaeltaja
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars 38 years later, and seemingly out of nowhere, Bubu is back.

"Anabelas" composer Daniel Andreoli has assembled a new team of young Buenos Aires musicians to carry on the musical tradition of the original 70's Bubu line-up, aiming to create complex, mood-shifting music, sometimes abrasive, sometimes ethereal. The music on "Resplandor" is very similar in feel and timbre to that on "Anabelas"; indeed, if you liked the first one, you'll like this one too. For those who are unaware of what Bubu sounds like, I'd recommend going with "Anabelas" first, but just know that the band can most easily be compared to King Crimson (Lizard or Larks' Tongues era) for its chaotic, often jazz-tinged soundscapes, or, for a more modern equivalent, Birds and Buildings, who shares a very similar compositional style.

"Resplandor" is very short, clocking in at less than the length of "El Cortejo De Un Dia Amarillo" and works best when listened to as a single suite. I won't get too detailed with a track-by-track but I do have to say that the second track "Omer" is currently my favourite, though all 3 have something unique to offer. The reason why I don't give "Resplandor" 5 stars, because the playing and compositional quality are certainly there, is just because the short length leaves you wanting for more. Though, to paraphrase a comment I read on Bubu's facebook page: "That's the point of an EP". All things considered, I'll give this new release 4 stars for containing some excellent prog that will hopefully hold us all over until Andreoli and the boys get around to making a full length album.

4 stars I was shocked like every one else I'm sure when it was announced that BUBU had released some new material in 2016. The last we heard from them was with their 1978 masterpiece called "Anabelas" which is a top ten album for me for that year. Now this is just a 15 1/2 minute EP but I'm hoping it's just a teaser for a new full length album. The crazy thing is that there's not one member playing on this new EP called "Resplandor" that was on "Anabelas". The connection though is one Daniel Andreoli who composed and arranged all the music on "Anabelas" he just didn't play on it. Here he again is the composer but he also plays bass and he's gathered some young musicians from Argentina of course to play his music. We get two guests adding keyboards and flute while the main band features violin and sax along with the usual instruments.

"Resplandor" is my favourite track even though it's the shortest. I was a little excited the first time I heard the start of this song with the energy and the flute over top. So good! A calm follows with solo slicing violin just before a minute then the sax joins in. Another calm follows with flute, sax and a beat. Love the laid back guitar 1 1/2 minutes in then they hit us hard again at 2 minutes. Another calm with violin then it kicks in again before solo slicing violin returns late. Great track.

"Omer" is relaxed with laid back guitar to start. It does start to build a minute in including some fine bass then the violin comes in over top before 2 minutes. Sax and flute then comes to the fore then the guitar starts to solo over top. It's laid back 4 minutes in with violin and it stays mellow as the sax replaces the violin then both play over top. "(Se Ponga El) Cielo Negro" has this cool sounding intro with some excellent bass lines and flute along with a determined rhythm section. Some aggressive guitar before 1 1/2 minutes and check out the organ before 2 minutes. A calm with violin follows then a minute later it turns darker with flute, so good. A driving rhythm section takes over 4 minutes in with flute, then sax takes over quickly. It ends with angular guitar, flute and that darker sound.

That adventerous spirit is certainly still here and while this doesn't compare to "Anabelas" for a number of reasons, it still makes a great companion to that album and it will sit next to it on my shelf. Check out this band!

Post a review of BUBU "Resplandor"