PALEPOLITANA

9. Canzone Amara (2:58)
10. Letizia (1:46)
11. Ciao Napoli (3:10)
12. Profugo (3:00)

CD 2 - "Palepoli" re-recording (41:52)
13. Oro Caldo (14:24)
14. Stanza CittÓ (6:15)
15. Animale Senza Respiro (21:13)

Total time 80:11

- Irvin Vairetti / Mellotron, synth, backing vocals
- Nello D'Anna / bass
- Gennaro Barba / drums

With:
- Sophya Baccini / vocals (1-3,9)
- David Jackson / saxes, flute (6,7,13,14)
- Angelo Salvatore / flute (2,3,9)
- Gianluca Falasca / violin (4,7,11), string arranger
- Falasca String Quartet (1-3,9,12)

Artwork: Lino Vairetti

2xCD AfrakÓ - LVRG 2626 (2015, Italy) Bonus disc with re-recording of 1972 album "Palepoli"

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

OSANNA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OSANNA Palepolitana Music

PalepolitanaPalepolitana
Imports 2015

More places to buy OSANNA music online Buy OSANNA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

OSANNA Palepolitana ratings distribution

OSANNA Palepolitana reviews

2 stars OSANNA created one of the most original and adventerous albums in the RPI catalogue back in 1973 with "Palepoli" so hearing that they had delivered a new album in 2015 certainly caught my attention. There is just one original member left in vocalist Lino Vairetti and we do get some special guests, especially sax player extraordinaire David Jackson(VDGG) along with singer Sophya Baccini. I can't say this album has done much for me overall, and it doesn't help that we get 12 tracks at under 38 minutes.

I do like the first song though and especially the way it starts with "Marmi" with the samples of a storm and someone running and the atmosphere. Almost spoken vocals before 2 minutes as it stays atmospheric and mellow. Some strings too and it turns fuller around 3 1/2 minutes. "Fenesta Vascia" stays very relaxed almost with a Celtic vibe as the vocals come in. Flute, piano and strings help out. "Michelemma" is the first uptempo track with strings, drums and more. Again there is a Celtic vibe to my ears. Not a fan of the vocals at all here, or the music for that matter. "Santa Lucia" sounds much better with the Fender Rhodes and drums as the vocals join in. It picks up and again i'm not impressed. I do like the guitar a lot that comes in late. "Anto Train" opens with piano melodies which I really enjoy then we get an atmospheric calm before 1 1/2 minutes. Some sax too as it blends into "Anni Di Piombo" which is very relaxed as reserved vocals join in. It does build some with drums later on then the tempo picks up around 3 minutes. A pretty good sound a minute later.

"Palepolitana" is different with that raw sounding guitar and upfront drumming. The vocals are more intense as well in this rocker. Some harmonica before 1 1/2 minutes followed by some good organ runs then the guitar returns followed by some amazing dissonant sax which is the best part of the whole album in my opinion. Vocals then return. "Made In Japan" opens with some welcomed melodic guitar lines as the bass, drums and organ help out. The vocals join in sounding really good here. Sadly when it picks up I think i'm listening to a late seventies pop song. "Canzone Amara" opens with strings as female vocals join in then male vocals as they sing apart and together. Not a fan. "Letizia" features some beautiful acoustic guitars throughout. "Ciao Napoli" is more Rock oriented with harmonica, guitar, drums and more. Vocals join in, it's okay but I can't get into this. "Profugo" opens with the sounds of waves and intricate sounds as the vocals join in, strings follow as the vocals continue. I like the vocals here. A really nice way to end the album.

I really am disappointed with this album but maybe it's just me as I see two written 5 star reviews ahead of mine. Fans only in my opinion.

5 stars Gosh. I was sort of expecting that after playing around in a wise way with their back catalogue for a number of years, very careful to keep it fresh and up with the times, Osanna (meaning Lino Vairetti) would have had t sink their teeth in their opera maestra. And what a gorgeous way to do that: ... (read more)

Report this review (#1452289) | Posted by aprusso | Wednesday, August 12, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I did not expect that. Everything in this album has to be evaluated very carefully. From the same line-up (bascially) that has accompanied Lino Vaireti in the last years, after releasing the weak "Prog Family", it comes a real strong album. Palepolitana is more than the first true studio album of ... (read more)

Report this review (#1430654) | Posted by GKR | Thursday, June 25, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OSANNA "Palepolitana"