WALRUS

2. Rags and Old Iron/Blind Man/Roadside
3. Why?
4. Turning/Woman/Turning
5. Sunshine Needs Me
6. Coloured Rain/Mother's Dead Face in Memoriam/Coloured Rain (Reprise)
7. Tomorrow Never Comes
8. Never Let My Body Touch the Ground

Steve Hawthorn / bass guitar, 12-string guitar (3)
John Scates / lead & rhythm guitars
Noel Greenaway / vocals
Bill Hoad / soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, flute, alto flute, clarinet
Roy Voce / tenor saxophone
Don Richards / trumpet, celesta (4)
Barry Parfitt / piano & organ
Roger Harrison / drums (1, 6), claves, cowbells, tambourine
Nick Gabb / drums (2,3,4,5,7)

Decca/Deram

re-released on Esoteric Records, 2008

Thanks to Atavachron for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

$42.81
Terug Naar Het Begin by WalrusTerug Naar Het Begin by Walrus
Walrus
$60.16

BEATLES Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus 45/PS Danish Only '67 Parlophone R 5655 EX USD $32.93 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Carl de Suze Reading Elephant Child, Walrus, Snark, Jabberwocky lp, RARE USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
BEATLES 7" RECORD COLLECTION DAY TRIPPER FROM ME TO YOU I AM THE WALRUS USD $1.30 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR 8 TRACK TAPE I AM THE WALRUS CAPITOL RECORDS USD $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 24m
BEATLES ?- "Hello, Goodbye / I Am The Walrus" - 7" - SUPER RARE ITALY MISPRINT!! USD $297.24 [0 bids]
Walrus (Everyone Deserves a Fat Chance) (Janus 3051) ('72) (Sealed) USD $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
The Beatles Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus 45 Vinyl USD $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 35m
The Beatles - 45 RPM - I Am The Walrus - Hello Goodbye USD $9.95 [0 bids]
IRON WALRUS - INSIDIOUS BLACK SEA USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $19.46 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW Baby Walrus (Audio CD) USD $11.76 Buy It Now 1 day
IRON WALRUS - INSIDIOUS BLACK SEA NEW CD USD $22.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Baby Walrus Self-Titled (CD) by Baby Walrus (2008) (Promo) Slumber Party Records USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BEATLES MAKING MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR FILM SB BOOK TONY BARROW 60S WALRUS 1967 USD $46.10 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles - Hello, Goodbye / I Am The Walrus GER 7in 1967 /4* USD $25.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ORIGINAL BEATLES HIT"I Am The Walrus" /"Hello Goodbye" 45-x 16160 RECORDS IN USA USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Randy Jackson - Empathy For the Walrus sealed U.S. cd USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
WALRUS-TERUG NAAR HET BEGIN CD NEW USD $29.56 Buy It Now 2 days
the beatles hello goodbye / I am the walrus original 1967 first pressing USD $13.18 [0 bids]
The Beatles "Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus" Capitol 2056 VG++ 1967 #1 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Beatles. Record Label Vinyl Sticker. Parlophone. Apple. USD $2.64 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles 45 record HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS, Capitol 1967 sleeve USD $4.03 [0 bids]
Beatles 1967-1970 2xLP 1976 Capitol SKBO-3404 VG+ Lennon McCartney I Am Walrus! USD $8.00 [0 bids]
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS JAPAN 7" vinyl ODEON USD $21.07 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles Record - Hello Goodbye / I am the Walrus USD $5.26 [0 bids]
Lot Of 5 Beatles 45 RPM Hit Records-yellow Submarine, Help, I Am The Walrus+++++ USD $25.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Oliver Walrus (CD Used Very Good) USD $18.03 Buy It Now 2 days
Oliver Walrus 2 - Oliver Walrus (CD Used Very Good) USD $17.98 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus ITALY (COVER) HOLLAND (VINYL) VG/VG+ USD $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
WALRUS-FAMILY HANGOVER VINYL LP NEW USD $28.88 Buy It Now 2 days
BARRY WHITE - SOUL SEDUCTION CD. WALRUS OF LOVE USD $2.64 [0 bids]
Ginty-I Am The Walrus EP-UK 7"-DIY Private Press NWOBHM Heavy Metal-1980-HEAR USD $39.51 [1 bids]
WALRUS SELF TITLED CD MINI LP OBI + bonus track Roger Harrison Steve Hawthorn USD $13.34 Buy It Now 3 days
Beatles Mug I am the Walrus great condition USD $5.20 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES 45 HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS PIC SLV USD $63.75 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I AM A WALRUS ORIGINAL CAPITOL MONO 45RPM RECORD NM- USD $44.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BORIS WITH MERZBOW EP, WALRUS GROON LIMITED SPLATTER VINYL, ISIS PELICAN MELVINS USD $32.94 [0 bids]
The Beatles Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus 7" 45 RPM Record w/Picture Sleeve US USD $20.00 [0 bids]
Walrus "Walrus" 1972 Janus Records Gatefold JLS 3051 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Barry White The Walrus Of Love Dutch 2 CD album (Double CD) WHITE213 USD $21.73 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES 45 RPM I Am The Walrus/Hello Goodbye George Martin Label Capitol Slv EX USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Beatles I Am The Walrus / Hello Goodbye CAPITOL 2056 45rpm 1967 VG- USD $3.00 [0 bids]
the BEATLES Hello, Goodbye / I am the Walrus 1967 DUTCH PS NMINT VINYL SINGLE 7" USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wonderwall / I Am the Walrus Oasis MUSIC CD USD $5.48 Buy It Now 4 days
WALRUS Fragments Of Light JAPAN CD TECN-30683 2000 OBI USD $72.63 Buy It Now 4 days
The Beatles - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus Capitol 2056 45 RPM USD $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
BUMPS: Ode To A Toad 2:45-Shining 2:45-U.S. 7" 69 Walrus Toad Music Co.TMC 001/2 USD $98.98 Buy It Now 4 days
I Forgot My Blanket by Hash CD Rock Pop Grunge Music Mr. Hello I Am The Walrus USD $5.99 Buy It Now 4 days
I Am The Walrus - Mike Fab Gere CDS, Mike Fab Gere And The Permissive, Very Good USD $2.31 Buy It Now 4 days
Beatles - I Am The Walrus/ Hello, Goodbye - ROCK 45 (Import) USD $29.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus Original Gatefold Psych Rock LP - JLS 3051 Janus Records white promo rare USD $7.99 [0 bids]
CRACK THE SKY: I Am The Walrus / Long Version 12 (dj) Rock & Pop USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Randy Jackson - Empathy For The Walrus (2014 CD) Music Of The Beatles (New) USD $3.89 Buy It Now 4 days
WALRUS-FAMILY HANGOVER-JAPAN CD Bonus Track E78 USD $17.63 [0 bids]
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE/I'M THE WALRUS 1967 GERMANY Odeon 7" PS EX+/MINT- copy !!! USD $58.00 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye/I'm The Walrus SOUTH AFRICA Parlophone PICTURE SLEEVE USD $115.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Beatles - Hello, Goodbye & I Am The Walrus - 7" - MINT UNPLAYED REDUCED!!! USD $13.50 Buy It Now 5 days
NEW Beatles Limited Edition 7" Vinyl Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus S/M T-Shirt USD $37.99 Buy It Now 5 days
JOHN LENNON The Complete Lost Lennon Tapes Vols. 9/10 2 CD (Walrus) Beatles USD $29.99 [0 bids]
USD $44.99 Buy It Now
Strawberry Walrus-Because of Love (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $21.13 Buy It Now 5 days
The Beatles - Hello, Goodbye / I am the Walrus Parlophone 1967 Mono Single 7" USD $19.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Randy Jackson - Empathy For The Walrus Music [CD] USD $16.01 Buy It Now 6 days
Carl de Suze Elephant's Child Walrus and the Carpender Jabberwocky still sealed USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $11.79 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $15.75 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $18.38 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $21.02 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $26.29 Buy It Now 6 days
Boris/Merzbow "Walrus" 12" Pelican Isis Torche vinyl LP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles Limited Edition 7" Vinyl Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus USD $50.00 Buy It Now 6 days
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED FIGURES WALRUS BAND BEATLES + BACKING CARD FAB USD $85.63 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles CD Single Card Sleeve Hello Goodbye / I am the Walrus USD $13.18 Buy It Now 7 days
BEATLES - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus - FRANCE - Vintage 1967 First Pressing USD $74.37 Buy It Now 7 days
IRON WALRUS - A BEAST WITHIN CD NEW+ USD $26.63 Buy It Now 7 days
Beatles Hello, Goodbye / I Am The Walrus Japan 45 With Picture Sleeve 400 Yen USD $34.99 Buy It Now 7 days
THE BEATLES - "Hello, Goodbye"-"I Am the Walrus" - 1st Pressing -Parlophone 1957 USD $7.49 Buy It Now 7 days
CRACK THE SKY - I Am The Walrus / Lighten Up McGraw 1978 NEW WAVE AOR 7" Beatles USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE / I AM A WALRUS usa apple 2056 MINT MINUS pop 7" single USD $52.70 Buy It Now 7 days
WALRUS Self-Titled Psychedelic Rock LP Record - Vinyl in NM USD $33.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Little Lead Soldiers - The Beatles 'Walrus Band' 60mm Figure Set - Memorabilia USD $98.82 Buy It Now 7 days
IRON WALRUS - A BEAST WITHIN (LP) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $29.71 Buy It Now 7 days
BEATLES~ I AM THE WALRUS~ VG~ HELLO GOODBYE~ CAPITOL 2056~ ~ POP 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Walrus by Walrus (Prog)/Walrus (Oakland, CA) (CD, Aug-2008, Esoteric Recordings) USD $17.85 Buy It Now 7 days
Strawberry Walrus-Psychedelic Grapefruit (CD-R) CD NEW USD $17.49 Buy It Now 7 days
The Beatles I am the walrus USD $1.30 [0 bids]
Sando - For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) USA 45 Without Picture Sleeve USD $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Strawberry Walrus-Strawberry Walrus- Favorite Fifty (CD-R) CD NEW USD $22.33 Buy It Now 8 days
Order of the Walrus-Brothers (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $13.74 Buy It Now 8 days
THE BEATLES 20th ANNIVERSARY PICTURE DISC SINGLE 1987 HELLO GOODBYE/I AM WALRUS USD $39.00 Buy It Now 8 days
WALRUS CD/+1/1970 Deram/UK Progressive Rock/Traffic USD $26.98 Buy It Now 8 days
Beatles 7-Inch Vinyl/T-Shirt Combo - Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus - BRAND NEW! USD $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Sketchy Walrus-Cosmic Vandals (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $13.73 Buy It Now 8 days
RANDY JACKSON (ZEBRA) - EMPATHY FOR THE WALRUS: MUSIC OF THE BEATLES, SONGS OF H USD $14.21 Buy It Now 8 days
Walrus - Walrus MINI LP CD s/t self titled 1970 USD $11.89 Buy It Now 9 days
Sando - For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) US 1981 7" All-Star Recs USD $9.88 Buy It Now 9 days
THE BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS PS & RECORD 45 RPM RECORD USD $55.86 Buy It Now 9 days
LOKBRA ARMY OF SOUNDWAVES STOP MR. MUSIC WALRUS CD06 PROG NEO-PSYCH ROCK POP USD $4.77 Buy It Now 9 days
ARCWELDER - I AM THE WALRUS (BEATLES/PRINCE ) - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD WRAP SLV 1992 USD $14.67 Buy It Now 9 days
Walrus - Uncovered [New CD] USD $19.73 Buy It Now 9 days
Randy Jackson-Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Beatles (Songs Of Hope) CD USD $3.32 Buy It Now 9 days

More places to buy WALRUS music online Buy WALRUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

WALRUS Walrus ratings distribution

WALRUS Walrus reviews

Review by Atavachron
3 stars Rip-roaring fun on this 1970 debut from 9-piece heavy blues-jazz-rock orchestra Walrus, blasting forth with ragged and rich numbers from founder Steve Hawthorn's warm basses, guitarist John Scates' dirty riffs, and the over-the-top tribal yell of Noel Greenaway. On backup is a pulsing band of horns, woodwinds and percussion making this, their only release, a surprisingly tight blend of the sophisticated brass-jazz of Blood,Sweat&Tears, the stormy blues of Janis and her Holding Co., and echoes of early Who or Jethro Tull.

'Who Can I Trust' is typical but perfect hard acid rock boldly followed by 13 minute epic 'Rags and Old Iron', a journey of rhythm 'n blues, ancient ancestry, stoic folk rock, weird Brit-pop and sprawling brass-psych. 'Why' is a confident folk bit in paisley with Bill Hoad's pretty intertwined flutes and Greenaway's pining lament, tongue-in-cheek romp 'Turning', refreshing modern jazz in 'Coloured Rain', and beyond kitsch 'Tomorrow Never Comes' reminds of The Nice.

Nothing spectacular and brutally old-sounding, Walrus were destined to evaporate with little trace but the ensemble's impressive arrangements put them on a par with contemporaries as Room, and they deserve their small spot among the progressive orchestras of the era.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Walrus is one of one shot wonders from UK in the early '70's with a short career. Formed in late '60's by the bassist Steve Hawthorn , Walrus release in november 1970 their selftitled album at Decca records. The band was formed by 8 musicians, like a small orchestra, but only the head of the band Hawthorn was the main composer. The music offered by Walrus is jazz rock with brass intrstuments, horns arrangements and some vague progressive elements added here and there, the resoult is not bad, little dated now but ok most of the time and enjoyble. They remind me of, for instance, Jethro Tull (Benefit era) but less flute orientated and with some bluesy touch , tipical for that period aproach, Audience, Family or even Blood, Sweat & Tears. There are some fine moments , like short opening track Who Can I Trust, the lenghty Rags and Old Iron with some good mellow parts melted with some folky parts, heavy prog passages, a great tune and jazzy cover version from Traffic first album - Coloured Rain, the rest are ok. Overall a good release that desearves one way or another to be discovered, but is nothing realy a spectacular release, that's why the best I can give is 3 stars. My version of the CD is the first issue on this format from Black rose label in 1999 with some comments about the band and pieces inside. Not to be confused with other bands with same name Walrus .

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Interesting obscure band from which has released a single, self titled LP, in 1970 and quickly disappeared without trace soon after that. Their sound was a curious mix of brass rock a la Blood, Sweat & Tears or Chicago with psychedelic rock, jazz and even some acid-folk bits (like in Why). The music of this octet is quite appealing and certainly the band was promising: bassist Steve Hawthorn shows up as a viable songwriter of good material, while the players are obviously skilled enough. Singer Noel Greenaway is another great find, with a fine voice that handles well all styles of music. With time they probably could produce a personal and outstanding sound. Unfortunately this was not to be. I guess at the time there were enough good brass bands riding the charts and their psychedelic takes were already dated by 1970. Even the cover was not that original for the period:it looks like several others Ive seen then.

Anyway, if you like the above mentioned styles you should give this album a chance. I was quite surprised by the strong performances and the overall good songwriting and arrangements. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but nice to listen to. The production is very good for the time and the CD release has a bonus track that was not included on the original LP. Nice find.

Rating: 2,5 stars rounded up. good, but clearly non essential in any way.

3 stars Tucked away in the darker recesses of any prog collection are sunk without trace gems from the late 60's/early 70's. I was surprised and pleased that over a dozen others have at least heard this and bothered to rate it. It has even had a couple of reviews. I shall add mine then! With previous r ... (read more)

Report this review (#1519647) | Posted by Groucho Barks | Monday, January 25, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WALRUS "Walrus"