WALRUS

2. Rags and Old Iron/Blind Man/Roadside
3. Why?
4. Turning/Woman/Turning
5. Sunshine Needs Me
6. Coloured Rain/Mother's Dead Face in Memoriam/Coloured Rain (Reprise)
7. Tomorrow Never Comes
8. Never Let My Body Touch the Ground

Steve Hawthorn / bass guitar, 12-string guitar (3)
John Scates / lead & rhythm guitars
Noel Greenaway / vocals
Bill Hoad / soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, flute, alto flute, clarinet
Roy Voce / tenor saxophone
Don Richards / trumpet, celesta (4)
Barry Parfitt / piano & organ
Roger Harrison / drums (1, 6), claves, cowbells, tambourine
Nick Gabb / drums (2,3,4,5,7)

Decca/Deram

re-released on Esoteric Records, 2008

Thanks to Atavachron for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

$42.81
Terug Naar Het Begin by WalrusTerug Naar Het Begin by Walrus
Walrus
$74.17
Walrus by WALRUS (2008-09-16)Walrus by WALRUS (2008-09-16)
Esoteric
$46.75

THE BEATLES - "Hello, Goodbye"-"I Am the Walrus" - 1st Pressing -Parlophone 1957 USD $7.49 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Beatles - Hello, Goodbye & I Am The Walrus - 7" - MINT UNPLAYED REDUCED!!! USD $13.50 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Carl de Suze Elephant's Child Walrus and the Carpender Jabberwocky still sealed USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 33m
NEW Beatles Limited Edition 7" Vinyl Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus S/M T-Shirt USD $37.99 Buy It Now 12h 8m
MEGA RARE THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE SINGAPORE VINYL 45 R5655 GREAT AUDIO WALRUS USD $34.82 [0 bids]
BEATLES - Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus - FRANCE - Vintage 1967 First Pressing USD $74.37 Buy It Now 13h 6m
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 12" VINYL UK A Summer USD $2.93 Buy It Now 15h 13m
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus 12" VINYL UK A Summ USD $6.95 Buy It Now 15h 13m
MIKE FAB GERE AND THE PERMISSIVE SOCIETY I Am The Walrus CD UK Piglet 1993 3 USD $2.93 Buy It Now 15h 23m
WALRUS (70'S GROUP) S/T CD German Black Rose 1999 7 Track Digitally Remastered USD $20.75 Buy It Now 15h 24m
KENICKIE Punka CD UK Emi 1996 4 Track Original Pic Disc B/W Drag Race, Walrus USD $4.37 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Strawberry Walrus-Because of Love (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $21.13 Buy It Now 22h 17m
Randy Jackson - Empathy For The Walrus Music [CD] USD $19.69 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $12.47 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $16.65 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $19.44 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $22.22 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES - I Am The Walrus ? song lyrics typography poster art print A1 A2 A3 USD $27.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Boris/Merzbow "Walrus" 12" Pelican Isis Torche vinyl LP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
WALRUS Walrus MINI LP CD USD $12.87 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES I AM THE WALRUS PS & RECORD 45 RPM RECORD USD $55.86 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES "LEAD" HAND PAINTED FIGURES WALRUS BAND BEATLES + BACKING CARD FAB USD $90.55 Buy It Now 1 day
WALRUS Self-Titled Psychedelic Rock LP Record - Vinyl in NM USD $33.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BEATLES "HELLO GOODBYE/I AM THE WALRUS" ORIGINAL 45rpm CAPITOL 2056 SOUGHT USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Sealed Original Gatefold Psych Rock LP : Walrus ~Everyone Deserves A Fat Chance USD $34.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Beatles CD Single Card Sleeve Hello Goodbye / I am the Walrus USD $13.93 Buy It Now 2 days
IRON WALRUS - A BEAST WITHIN CD NEW+ USD $26.63 Buy It Now 2 days
BEATLES 45RPM HELLO GOODBYE / I AM THE WALRUS USD $4.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Barry White The Collection Love Unlimited Orchestra CD 1988 The Walrus Of Love! USD $5.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Beatles Hello, Goodbye / I Am The Walrus Japan 45 With Picture Sleeve 400 Yen USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ginty?-I Am The Walrus 7" EPWild Dog Records 1980 (Beatles Cover) NWOBHM USD $68.27 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles "I Am The Walrus b/w Hello, Goodbye" Ex Parlophone R 5655 USD $4.17 [0 bids]
CRACK THE SKY - I Am The Walrus / Lighten Up McGraw 1978 NEW WAVE AOR 7" Beatles USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES UK 1st Press Vinyl:A Hard Days Night Hello Goodbye I'm the Walrus VG USD $6.97 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL 45 & PICTURE SLEEVE HELLO GOODBYE b/w I AM THE WALRUS USD $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BEATLES: Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus 45 w/picture sleeve USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Little Lead Soldiers - The Beatles 'Walrus Band' 60mm Figure Set - Memorabilia USD $104.49 Buy It Now 2 days
The Beatles - Hello, Goodbye/I Am The Walrus - Japanese Picture Sleeve PS 7" USD $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
IRON WALRUS - A BEAST WITHIN (LP) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $29.71 Buy It Now 2 days
Beatles 7-Inch Vinyl/T-Shirt Combo - Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus - BRAND NEW! USD $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BEATLES~ I AM THE WALRUS~ VG~ HELLO GOODBYE~ CAPITOL 2056~ ~ POP 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Walrus by Walrus (Prog)/Walrus (Oakland, CA) (CD, Aug-2008, Esoteric Recordings) USD $17.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Strawberry Walrus-Psychedelic Grapefruit (CD-R) CD NEW USD $17.49 Buy It Now 2 days
WALRUS & THE CARPENTER - OLD SOUL'S EYES USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $3.92 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES MAKING MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR FILM SB BOOK TONY BARROW 60S WALRUS 1967 USD $34.82 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES Hello Goodbye b/w I Am The Walrus Danish 45PS 1967 USD $15.54 Buy It Now 3 days
Sando - For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) USA 45 Without Picture Sleeve USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BEATLES 45rpm + Picture Sleeve Hello Goodbye b/w I Am the Walrus LISTEN USD $50.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Strawberry Walrus-Strawberry Walrus- Favorite Fifty (CD-R) CD NEW USD $22.33 Buy It Now 3 days
Order of the Walrus-Brothers (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $13.74 Buy It Now 3 days
Barry White The Walrus Of Love 2 CD album (Double CD) Dutch WHITE213 USD $22.97 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES 20th ANNIVERSARY PICTURE DISC SINGLE 1987 HELLO GOODBYE/I AM WALRUS USD $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BEATLES HELLO GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS RARE MEXICAN 45rpm 7" ORANGE LABEL USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Sando - For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) US 1981 7" All-Star Recs USD $6.95 [0 bids]
The Beatles - Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus.1968 Japan 7" 45. OR1838. NM+ USD $1.39 [2 bids]
WALRUS CD/+1/1970 Deram/UK Progressive Rock/Traffic USD $26.98 Buy It Now 3 days
*<* BEATLES "MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR/YOUR MOTHER SHOULD KNOW/I AM THE WALRUS" UK 45 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Sketchy Walrus-Cosmic Vandals (CD-RP) CD NEW USD $13.73 Buy It Now 3 days
RANDY JACKSON (ZEBRA) - EMPATHY FOR THE WALRUS: MUSIC OF THE BEATLES, SONGS OF H USD $14.32 Buy It Now 3 days
The Beatles Hello Goodbye I Am The Walrus 2056 114-3II USD $4.79 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus - Walrus MINI LP CD s/t self titled 1970 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
LOKBRA ARMY OF SOUNDWAVES STOP MR. MUSIC WALRUS CD06 PROG NEO-PSYCH ROCK POP USD $4.77 Buy It Now 4 days
Rare Private 45 Hombre on Walrus Way You Make Me Feel USD $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Randy Jackson-Empathy For The Walrus: Music Of The Beatles (Songs Of Hope) CD USD $3.51 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus - Uncovered [New CD] USD $19.73 Buy It Now 4 days
Rock The Beatles 45RPM Capitol Records Near Mint I Am The Walrus, Hello Goodbye USD $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus - Uncovered [New CD] USD $20.12 Buy It Now 4 days
Oliver Walrus - Oliver Walrus 2 Limited Edition CD BRAND NEW DB1546 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Oliver Walrus CD LIKE NEW DB1547 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BARRY WHITE - SOUL SEDUCTION CD. WALRUS OF LOVE USD $2.77 [0 bids]
BORIS WITH MERZBOW EP, WALRUS GROON LIMITED SPLATTER VINYL, ISIS PELICAN MELVINS USD $45.96 [0 bids]
New Music CD Liquidation Sale ** Artists: N-P #155 ** Buy 1 Get 1 flat ship fee USD $20.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus - Family Hangover [New Vinyl LP] USD $23.86 Buy It Now 4 days
THE BEATLES-I AM THE WALRUS-HELLO GOODBYE- CAPITOL 5810-VINYL 4.0, SLEEVE 6.0 USD $70.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Used Music CD Liquidation Sale ** Artists: T-T #535 ** Buy 1 Get 1 flat ship fee USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BEATLES hello goodbye / i am walrus ( rock ) 7" / 45 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BEATLES hello goodbye / i am walrus ( rock ) 7" / 45 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Walrus - Family Hangover [New Vinyl LP] USD $26.74 Buy It Now 4 days
SANDO 45 For The Walrus (Tribute To John Lennon) - NM USD $3.00 Buy It Now 4 days
BEATLES 45 (NM) & Cover PS Picture Sleeve (NM-) - "Hello Goodbye/I Am Walrus" USD $49.95 [0 bids]
USD $90.00 Buy It Now
THE BEATLES ? I AM THE WALRUS / HELLO GOODBYE ? 1967 EX+ F1/F3 STUNNING 2056 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 4 days
WALRUS SELF LP 1972 ORIGINAL PRESS PSYCH PROG SHRINK GREAT COND! VG+/VG++!! USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Wonderwall / I Am the Walrus 1996 by Oasis USD $23.33 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES~HELLO/GOODBYE I AM THE WALRUS ~VERY GOOD CONDITION!! USD $17.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Wonderwall / I Am the Walrus by Oasis USD $19.96 Buy It Now 5 days
NM 45RPM THE BEATLES - I AM THE WALRUS & HELLO GOODBYE CAPITOL RECORDS USD $25.00 Buy It Now 5 days
The Beatles - I Am The Walrus/Hello, Goodbye Record Rare 7XCE 18434-1 USD $1.38 [0 bids]
WALRUS Virus JAPAN CD TECN-16384 1998 NEW USD $37.04 Buy It Now 5 days
Uncovered 2013 by The Walrus USD $6.07 Buy It Now 5 days
THE BEATLES MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR APPLE GERMANY RARE COVER VINYL LP WALRUS PAUL USD $99.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BEATLES 45 RPM "Hello Goodbye" "I am the Walrus" VG Condition USD $4.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BEATLES 45 RPM "Hello Goodbye" "I am the Walrus" G to G+ Condition USD $2.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BEATLES hello goodbye / i am walrus ( rock ) 7" / 45 apple USD $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
BORIS WITH MERZBOW Walrus / Groon LP HYDRA HEAD yellow/green vinyl UNPLAYED USD $29.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Beatles I Am The Walrus/Hello Goodbye 45 Record Good Condition Capitol 1967 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
THE WALRUS EP - TROSS *NEW VINYL* USD $25.58 Buy It Now 6 days
BEATLES~HELLO GOODBYE~NEAR MINT~I AM THE WALRUS~CAPITOL 2056~ POP 45 USD $79.99 Buy It Now 6 days
The Beatles I am the walrus / hello goodbye - 45 Record Vinyl Album 7" USD $21.50 Buy It Now 6 days
HARRY DEAL & GALAXIES: This Love I Have / Walrus 45 (dj) Soul USD $25.00 Buy It Now 6 days

More places to buy WALRUS music online Buy WALRUS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

WALRUS Walrus ratings distribution

WALRUS Walrus reviews

Review by Atavachron
3 stars Rip-roaring fun on this 1970 debut from 9-piece heavy blues-jazz-rock orchestra Walrus, blasting forth with ragged and rich numbers from founder Steve Hawthorn's warm basses, guitarist John Scates' dirty riffs, and the over-the-top tribal yell of Noel Greenaway. On backup is a pulsing band of horns, woodwinds and percussion making this, their only release, a surprisingly tight blend of the sophisticated brass-jazz of Blood,Sweat&Tears, the stormy blues of Janis and her Holding Co., and echoes of early Who or Jethro Tull.

'Who Can I Trust' is typical but perfect hard acid rock boldly followed by 13 minute epic 'Rags and Old Iron', a journey of rhythm 'n blues, ancient ancestry, stoic folk rock, weird Brit-pop and sprawling brass-psych. 'Why' is a confident folk bit in paisley with Bill Hoad's pretty intertwined flutes and Greenaway's pining lament, tongue-in-cheek romp 'Turning', refreshing modern jazz in 'Coloured Rain', and beyond kitsch 'Tomorrow Never Comes' reminds of The Nice.

Nothing spectacular and brutally old-sounding, Walrus were destined to evaporate with little trace but the ensemble's impressive arrangements put them on a par with contemporaries as Room, and they deserve their small spot among the progressive orchestras of the era.

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Walrus is one of one shot wonders from UK in the early '70's with a short career. Formed in late '60's by the bassist Steve Hawthorn , Walrus release in november 1970 their selftitled album at Decca records. The band was formed by 8 musicians, like a small orchestra, but only the head of the band Hawthorn was the main composer. The music offered by Walrus is jazz rock with brass intrstuments, horns arrangements and some vague progressive elements added here and there, the resoult is not bad, little dated now but ok most of the time and enjoyble. They remind me of, for instance, Jethro Tull (Benefit era) but less flute orientated and with some bluesy touch , tipical for that period aproach, Audience, Family or even Blood, Sweat & Tears. There are some fine moments , like short opening track Who Can I Trust, the lenghty Rags and Old Iron with some good mellow parts melted with some folky parts, heavy prog passages, a great tune and jazzy cover version from Traffic first album - Coloured Rain, the rest are ok. Overall a good release that desearves one way or another to be discovered, but is nothing realy a spectacular release, that's why the best I can give is 3 stars. My version of the CD is the first issue on this format from Black rose label in 1999 with some comments about the band and pieces inside. Not to be confused with other bands with same name Walrus .

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Interesting obscure band from which has released a single, self titled LP, in 1970 and quickly disappeared without trace soon after that. Their sound was a curious mix of brass rock a la Blood, Sweat & Tears or Chicago with psychedelic rock, jazz and even some acid-folk bits (like in Why). The music of this octet is quite appealing and certainly the band was promising: bassist Steve Hawthorn shows up as a viable songwriter of good material, while the players are obviously skilled enough. Singer Noel Greenaway is another great find, with a fine voice that handles well all styles of music. With time they probably could produce a personal and outstanding sound. Unfortunately this was not to be. I guess at the time there were enough good brass bands riding the charts and their psychedelic takes were already dated by 1970. Even the cover was not that original for the period:it looks like several others Ive seen then.

Anyway, if you like the above mentioned styles you should give this album a chance. I was quite surprised by the strong performances and the overall good songwriting and arrangements. Nothing spectacular or groundbreaking, but nice to listen to. The production is very good for the time and the CD release has a bonus track that was not included on the original LP. Nice find.

Rating: 2,5 stars rounded up. good, but clearly non essential in any way.

3 stars Tucked away in the darker recesses of any prog collection are sunk without trace gems from the late 60's/early 70's. I was surprised and pleased that over a dozen others have at least heard this and bothered to rate it. It has even had a couple of reviews. I shall add mine then! With previous r ... (read more)

Report this review (#1519647) | Posted by Groucho Barks | Monday, January 25, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WALRUS "Walrus"