THE MOVE

- Trevor Burton / guitars, bass, vocals
- Chris Ace Kefford / bass, vocals
- Bev Bevan / drums, vocals

LP: March 1968: Regal Zonophone

LP/ MC: With the title Flowers In The Rain exist a German edition for Star Power series (with diverse cover) (LP cat code 25 102-5 B and MC cat code 23 286-8 MB) in this version the label is Cube/ Intercord (but the years of this new issued is not specified. Is specified, however, that all the tracks are from 1968 except 3 and 6 that are from 1967)

CD: Remastered by Repertoire Records in 1998 with 16 bonus tracks noted with * in track listing.

Thanks to chicapah for the addition
and to mandrakeroot for the last updates

THE MOVE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE MOVE The Move Music

Magnetic Waves of Sound: Best of the MoveMagnetic Waves of Sound: Best of the Move
Import · Remastered
Esoteric 2017
Move: Remastered & Expanded Deluxe EditionMove: Remastered & Expanded Deluxe Edition
Cherry Red 2016
MoveMove
Imports 2016
Vinyl$18.17

Sly & robbie-make em' move-12"-4th b'way-425 USD $2.99 Buy It Now
Bernard Butler-People move on-1998 original poster sized advert framed USD $63.95 Buy It Now
Captain & Tennille- Make Your Move LP NBLP 7188 Shrink USD $4.99 Buy It Now
THE ALL AMERICAN REJECTS-MOVE ALONG-JAPAN SHM-CD D50 USD $17.50 Buy It Now
We Move - James Vinc Mcmorrow Compact Disc USD $13.54 Buy It Now
MOVE IT ON OVER - by GEORGE THOROGOOD AND THE DESTROYERS 12" LP (ROUNDER 3024) USD $24.99 Buy It Now
: How Can You Move? Audio CD USD $6.74 Buy It Now
The Original Sins - Move - NM/EX 2 LP - Psonik Records - rare garage USD $12.00 Buy It Now
1989 Cliff Richard - The Best Of Me/Move It/Lindsey Jane (EMI) (EM 92 A) USD $1.28 [0 bids]
ELTON JOHN - BLUE MOVES (UK) NEW CD USD $23.07 Buy It Now
ALL AMERICAN REJECTS Move Along TST PRESS PROMO DJ CD Single USA MINT USD $14.24 Buy It Now
Let The Groove Move Ya - Ryan & Foret Tradition Foret (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.32 Buy It Now
Soul 45 The Soul Children - A Little Understanding / If You Move I'Ll Fall On Ep USD $5.00 Buy It Now
The Romantics (dj 45 w/ps) BETTER MAKE A MOVE / TEST OF TIME ~ M- USD $5.60 Buy It Now
Martika 45 I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE / QUIERO ENTREGARTE MI AMOR ~Columbia VG to VG+ USD $2.10 Buy It Now
Johnny Janis 78 MOVE IT OR LOSE IT / I'M THROWING RICE ~ VG+ USD $10.50 Buy It Now
CD Martika - Twelve Inch Mixes 1993 incl. Toy soldiers & I feel the earth move USD $8.89 Buy It Now
Roman Vs. M/S/O - Make You Move (Remixed) Vinyl 12" - EC - EC 016 - Electronic USD $2.00 Buy It Now
ALEXANDER ARTHUR - YOU BETTER MOVE ON (UK) NEW VINYL USD $27.54 Buy It Now
Eurogroove - Move Your Body Vinyl 12" - United American - UA 32 - Electronic USD $1.50 Buy It Now
The Jackson 5 - Little Bitty Pretty One / If I Have To Move A Mountain Vinyl 7" USD $2.00 Buy It Now
First Moves First Moves CD ***NEW*** USD $3.95 Buy It Now
MOVE - SHAZAM: REMASTERED & EXPANDED EDITION (EXPANDED) NEW CD USD $23.07 Buy It Now
Lalo Schifrin 45 Mission-Impossible/Jim on the Move Dot 17059 USD $4.10 Buy It Now
OUTKAST Way You Move MIX CD Single SEALED Johnny Toobad USD $23.74 Buy It Now
Recon: Makin Moves Audio Cassette USD $28.98 Buy It Now
Move Along With Stompin Tom by Connors, Stompin Tom USD $20.00 Buy It Now
JOHN LENNON Stand By Me / Move Over Mr. L original 45 on APPLE label BEATLES USD $9.99 Buy It Now
one fast move or i'm gone limited edition cd kerouac's big sur USD $18.74 Buy It Now
ANDY LEEK X2 7" Move on & Please NEW WAVE DEXYS USD $2.55 Buy It Now
Move That Foot, Ian White, Very Good USD $2.75 Buy It Now
TRINI LOPEZ-ON THE MOVE-LP-REPRISE-6112-VG+/NM USD $4.99 Buy It Now
Move The-Shazam CD NEW USD $21.74 Buy It Now
The Chambers Brothers LP Right Move Avco 69003698 70s Soul Funk 1975 USD $4.92 Buy It Now
The Grassroots Move Along NEW Cutout USD $6.39 Buy It Now
BANKS,OMARI-MOVE ON (DLX) CD NEW USD $14.44 Buy It Now
Arthur Alexander - You Better Move on + 2 Bonus Tracks [New Vinyl] Bonus Tracks, USD $16.51 Buy It Now
Jeanette (Baby) Washington "Move On" R&B Soul 45 Neptune mp3 USD $7.99 [1 bids]
Meklit when the people move the music moves too 2017 CD new USD $9.99 Buy It Now
ON THE MOVE & MOVE ON - JETHRO TULL - UNOFFICIAL PROMO CD RELEASE -GERMANY USD $79.95 Buy It Now
Move Along, All American Rejects, The, Very Good Import USD $2.75 Buy It Now
45 RPM Vinyl record Bob Seger Night Moves & Main Street USD $2.00 Buy It Now
John Lennon - Stand By Me/Move Over Mrs. L - 1881 - 45 RPM Record USD $7.43 Buy It Now
James Vincent McMorrow WE MOVE 3rd Album +MP3s GATEFOLD Caroline NEW VINYL LP USD $18.99 Buy It Now
High School Confidential / Move It ( Hits from the 50's and 60's ) USD $3.18 [0 bids]
Move Flowers in the Rain / Lemon Tree 7" Regal Zonophone RZ 3001 USD $1.27 [0 bids]
Various : Radio Disney: Move It CD (2005) USD $3.99 Buy It Now
SPIRITUALS MOVES V 2 TRANCE ISRAELI CD TALAMASCA indica CALIFORNIA SUNSHINE USD $50.00 Buy It Now
ELTON JOHN BLUE MOVES DBL LP MCA2-11004 & LYRIC SLEEVES USD $3.73 Buy It Now
Emma Creamer & Singers "Move With The Spirit" 1973 Black Gospel LP,SEALED!, RARE USD $17.95 Buy It Now
r&b funk 45 SOUL OF GEORGIA - You Better Move On/Cool (Black Sheep) *MP3* rare! USD $100.00 [0 bids]
OLIVIA NEWTON JOHN rare PHYSICAL cd LANDSLIDE Make a Move On Me PROMISE dolphin USD $24.99 Buy It Now
DNCE first CD hit BODY MOVES cake by ocean + 3 BONUS songs target JOE JONAS band USD $21.99 Buy It Now
Hear! Black Gospel Soul 45 Inez Andrews - Lord Don'T Move The Mountain / I'M Fre USD $15.00 Buy It Now
Hear! Northern Soul 45 The Impressions - Woman'S Got Soul / Get Up And Move On A USD $15.00 Buy It Now
YELLOWMAN - Reggae on the move CD rare 1992 Ras Records USD $6.99 Buy It Now
JULIA FORDHAM CD single LOVE MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS protective polythene USD $3.82 Buy It Now
Sir Louie N Prime: Get up and move 12" vinyl record 4a USD $6.00 Buy It Now
LOST PROPHETS WAKE UP MAKE A MOVE. 7 INCH VINYL SINGLE. USD $1.27 [0 bids]
PSYCHEDELIC FURS : MIRROR MOVES USA IMPORT CD NO. CK 39278 USD $2.52 [0 bids]
THE JAM BEAT SURRENDER DOUBLE MOVE ON UP STONED OUT OF MY MIND SHOPPING WAR MOD USD $3.82 [1 bids]
A Baffled Republic ?- Bad Boys (Move In Silence) - Remixed (Catch ?- CAT 12007) USD $8.94 [0 bids]
Hear! Northern Soul 45 The Contours - Do You Love Me / Move Mr. Man On Gordy USD $15.00 Buy It Now
We Move [LP], New Music USD $23.17 Buy It Now
7" Vinyl Record, Tracey Ullman, Move over Darling / You Broke my Heart in 17 Pla USD $1.27 Buy It Now
PHYLLIS NELSON MOVE CLOSER 12"(84 N/MINT ILL PIC) USD $1.27 [0 bids]
Allsorts-Hendrix/Who/Procul/Move/Keen-Vinyl Lp-Free UK Post-Braille Sleeve USD $14.84 Buy It Now
Night Moves - The Professional Approach to Disco Dance Instruction Book and 2 LP USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Omari Banks - Move on [New CD] Deluxe Edition USD $11.80 Buy It Now
GAVIN DEGRAW Make A Move Rare 1 Track CD! USD $1.91 [0 bids]
Omari Banks - Move on [New CD] Deluxe Edition USD $11.43 Buy It Now
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band* - Night Moves LP. 12" Vinyl UK + 7" Single USD $10.23 Buy It Now
Mountains Move - Kristian Stanfill Compact Disc USD $10.96 Buy It Now
The All-American Rejects: Move Along Audio CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now
Eric B & Rakim 12" Move The Crowd USD $20.00 Buy It Now
BAHA MEN - Move It Like This (CD) - NEW! NICE! Take a L@@K! USD $8.00 Buy It Now
Doris Day Move over darling CBS AGG 320048 G+/VG+ USD $1.27 [1 bids]
ULTIMATE DANCE CRAZE 2 DISC CD 25 TRACKS ,DVD 8 DANCE MOVES & 11 KARAOKE TRCKS USD $1.27 [0 bids]
Hear! Jazz Soundtrack 45 Lalo Schifrin - Mission: Impossible / Jim On The Move O USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Casablanca NBLP-7188 The Captain & Tennille - Make Your Move 1979 12" 33 RPM USD $9.73 Buy It Now
Mugzy's Move - Royal Crown Revue CD USD $1.00 Buy It Now
Culture Club - Move Away / Sexuality 45 1986 VG / VG+ USD $1.99 Buy It Now
ROBERTA FLACK - why don't you move in with me - PORTUGAL 7/45 PS SINGLE SOUL USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Move Any Mountain The Shamen MUSIC CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now
Move On (In Your Maserati) 7 : Andde Leek USD $5.76 Buy It Now
Grover Washington Jr- Inside Moves on Elektra Records SEALED USD $13.99 Buy It Now
THE XPANSIONS - Move Your Body - 1990 UK Juke Box 7" vinyl single USD $12.78 Buy It Now
MY MORNING JACKET - IT STILL MOVES PROMO-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Move Something Else from Regal Zonophone TRZ 2001 VG+/EX USD $7.35 [2 bids]
MOVE: Curly 2:39-This Time Tomorrow 3:34-Portugal 7" Stateside PSS 1019, PSL USD $64.98 Buy It Now
Luther Rabb "Make A Little Move" 70s Soul Disco Funk 45 MCA WLP mp3 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
CHANTAY'S-PIPELINE/MOVE IT-DOT 145 VG+ 45 USD $7.98 Buy It Now
Move-The BBC Sessions CD Live New USD $69.07 Buy It Now
PHANTASY: Move Ahead / Same 45 (dj) Soul USD $6.00 Buy It Now
Crusaders-New Moves-Promo 12"-MCA-13991-NM USD $2.99 Buy It Now
Julia Fordham?- (Love Moves In) Mysterious Ways Circa YR73 UK Vinyl 7" 45 Single USD $5.83 [0 bids]
We Move - James Vinc Mcmorrow USD $22.78 Buy It Now
PHYLLIS NELSON - MOVE CLOSER 7" VINYL PS USD $5.10 Buy It Now
CULTURE CLUB Move Away/Sexuality - EX/EX Cond 1986 Virgin 12" Single USD $1.27 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE MOVE music online Buy THE MOVE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THE MOVE The Move ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(16%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(23%)

THE MOVE The Move reviews

Review by Chicapah
2 stars In the cinematic classic "This is Spinal Tap" there's a segment during which the mock-documentary takes a look back at the group's simple beginnings by showing a clip of their appearance on a far-out, Shindig-like program, performing their first hit, "(Listen to the) Flower People." It's embarrassingly silly and horribly dated. In real life, however, that scenario hits uncomfortably close to home for The Move's debut LP. Somewhat like their U.S. counterparts, the nightclub act Paul Revere & the Raiders, the band was able to consistently scale the pop charts but no one took them very seriously. Roy, Carl, Trevor, Bev and "Ace" were just young, fledgling musicians playing in Birmingham dives when they got discovered by manager Tony Secunda. He goaded them to garner public visibility by pulling sensational stunts like smashing TV sets on stage with axes and slandering the prime minister with naughty photos. He also encouraged leader Roy Wood to write radio-friendly songs that sounded like what was "happening" on the Top 40. The problem with that tactic is that by the time you get the tune on the airwaves the trend you're aping is already on the way out so you end up following popular culture instead of leading it. Like bubblegum music, a catchy ditty would often get you into the higher echelons of the charts but few would remember the song a year later.

Recorded in late 1967 and released early the following year, this album has very little to do with anything vaguely related to progressive rock and is only listed on this site because of the band's later three studio projects. Its only usefulness is to demonstrate how far the group had to go to be able to make the excellent proto-prog music they ended up creating. So make no mistake, it's not very good and I wouldn't recommend that anyone except die-hard fans shell out their hard-earned moola for it. I bought it a long time ago, thinking their early stuff might be interesting. Wrong. "Then why review an album you don't like?" some may ask. My answer is that in the genre of progressive rock there are few recordings that don't have at least some redeeming qualities to elevate it above the mundane tastes of the rabble of society so most of my critiques tend to praise rather than bury. Therefore, when I get an opportunity to be sarcastic and poke good-natured fun at a band I truly adore I'm not about to let my chance go by. So consider yourself forewarned. This could get ugly.

"Yellow Rainbow," with its 60s apocalypse-loitering-right-around-the-corner message is trite and instantly forgettable. For some unknown reason they opted to start the album off with their bassist, Chris "Ace" Kefford, singing lead vocals (He would never be featured in that role again). I guess the fact that they had two capable lead singers in Carl Wayne and Roy Wood escaped them. One peculiar aspect of the tune is the fact that the background chorus sounds like it was recorded live in the plaza of Munchkin land using the native population. Either that or everyone at the mike was on amphetamines. "Kilroy Was Here" follows and it's a better song but we might as well be comparing dirt clods. Drummer Bev Bevan is firmly in his element on this tune because all he's asked to do is play bass drum and snare and avoid veering too far away from the tempo. "(Here We Go Round) The Lemon Tree" is next and it is bubblegum pop on a par with the artistic contributions of The Archies as far as profundity goes. The inclusion of a string quartet is its only saving grace but the classically- trained musicians involved must have left the studio wondering how their professional reputations had managed to sink to the deck of the Titanic.

In another democratic act of sharing the spotlight and handing the microphone around to every standing member, rhythm guitarist Trevor Burton gets to warble away on their cover of Eddie Cochran's "Weekend," a 50s rockabilly ditty that shows where Joan Jett got her melody ideas for "Bad Reputation." Yet given what we've slogged through so far, it's not half bad. And one should be thankful for that because "Walk Upon the Water" digresses back into Partridge Family territory with its nauseating campfire sing-along spirit and groovy lyrics. Ironically, the horribly off-key bugle blowing mindlessly at the end is the best part of the track. "Flowers in the Rain" was a #2 hit in England and it really makes one wonder what the Brits were stuffing in their pipes at that time because it is pitiful pop complete with cheesy storm sounds scattered throughout. This is the kind of empty fluff that caused punk rock to happen. Their surprisingly credible version of Moby Grape's "Hey Grandma" is an oasis in a desert of absurdity but the tune's less-than-tricky accents prove to be too much for the hit-drum-go- boom approach of Bev on his kit and his sloppy fills keep it from rising above passable. Bless his heart. Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees would've aced it.

The escalator only goes down from there to "Useless Information," a piss-poor social commentary song that makes me wonder if Roy had been listening to too many Donovan records in those days. Be afraid, be very afraid. Speaking of scary, the mike gets passed back to Mr. Bevan next for their nostalgic cover of The Coasters' "Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart" and, as undeveloped as his baritone voice is, it's still a step up from his percussion acumen. This doo-wop number would have been right at home on the great Frank Zappa's "Ruben & The Jets" song list but as such it would've been an obvious put-on. I get the feeling that these guys were serious. Strings as syrupy as the state of Vermont glut the corny "The Girl Outside," an undisguised rip off of Peter & Gordon schlock. Diabetics should avoid listening to it at all costs.

The alarming but fun "Fire Brigade" just may be the best tune on the album when taking its competition into consideration. It also reached #2 on the charts and is probably more deserving of that accomplishment than its predecessor. It at least has an interesting chord progression, a Duane Eddy twangy thang going on, a decent melody and possesses a scintilla of imagination. A harpsichord, the Titanic string quartet and the lack of anything drum-related make "Mist on a Monday Morning" a decent cut despite the quaint but overbearing English upper-class-chamber-in-the-days-of-yore atmosphere. Yet it's almost good and, at this juncture, I'll take it. The tiring journey ends with "Cherry Blossom Clinic" (not to be confused with the exciting extended version they recorded for the "Shazam" LP), an incredibly over-produced mess with a plethora of blaring, tinny brass guaranteed to induce multiple migraines. I'm sure they were trying to be hip and psychedelic in an "All You Need is Love" kinda way but they failed miserably.

Okay, so I might've been a little rough on my boys in my review. I meant no permanent harm and still hope we can have a beer together sometime. The Move is far from being the only band who released a debut album that requires one to suppress the gag reflex while listening to it but theirs is one for the ages. The good news is that they hung in there and got a lot better in a short amount of time. It's also true that several of the songs from their formative hit single days ("Night of Fear," "I Can Hear the Grass Grow" and their sole #1 "Blackberry Way" in particular) are keepers but didn't make it onto this LP. While I hope that many of you sample the later works of The Move and thereby reap the rewards that come with that adventure, my advice is that you start anywhere but here and explore this album only if you want to dig through this group's dirt. So why two stars? I only reserve the dreaded lone star designation for those bands/artists who should know better and should be ashamed of themselves for selling manure. These boys did the best they could with what they had. As JC said, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Moving west

Formed in Birmingham UK in 1968, the Move brought in members from other local bands including Mike Sheridan's Night Riders and Carl Wayne and the Vikings. Although Wayne was the lead singer, it was the multi-talented Roy Wood who shone brightest in the band. Wood quickly become the principal songwriter, penning the band's succession of UK chart hits (success in the US completely eluded the Move). Initially, the focus was on recording singles and touring to promote them, with songs such as "Night of fear and "I can hear the grass grow" raising their profile rapidly. While the band's initial influences were primarily from Motown soul, they quickly moved towards the American West with their sound (and ultimately ended up firmly back in Britain with the latter day Beatles). One of the Move's biggest claims to fame from this period is that their third single "Flowers in the rain" was the first song to be played on Radio 1, the BBC's tardy answer to pirate radio.

It took until 1968 for this the Move's first album to be released, around the same time as their "Something else" EP. The album consists primarily of Roy Wood songs, along with three cover versions. Two of these tracks, "Flowers in the rain" and "Fire brigade" were issued as singles, with a third intend single "Cherry blossom clinic" being aborted due to the controversial lyrical content.

As a whole, this album is largely a summary of the band's journey up to this point. It contains little of the proto prog which would appear on later albums, with virtually all the songs here having singles potential. The vocal strengths of the band are highlighted on songs such as "Yellow rainbow" where Wayne sings lead on the verses and Wood on the choruses. The lyrics of songs such as "Here we go round the lemon tree" highlight Wood's wonderful appetite for humour in his writing.

For some reason, "Walk upon the water" has always been a personal favourite. This slice of psychedelic pop has a rather sinister undercurrent in the lyrics, quite at odds with the jaunty melody. "The girl outside" is something of an odd man out, being an orthodox 60's ballad sung by Wayne alone. On the other hand, the Roy Wood sung "Fire brigade" with its sound effects and amusing lyrics sounded quite different at the time of its release, and stormed up the singles chart.

Of the three cover versions, "Weekend" is a straightforward cover of the Eddie Cochran rock and roll number, complete with sha-la-las and hand claps. Wood would return to that period a number of times over his career. "Hey grandma" is a Moby Grape song, emphasising the Move's west coast influences. The song actually sounds more like Simon and Garfunkel's "Keep the customer satisfied" than anything else. The final cover sees Bev Bevan unwisely attempting to offer a new take on the Coaster "Zing went the strings of my heart".

Overall, this is an album which is totally pop focused, and indeed was the only Move album to enjoy chart success. The quality of the music is however superb, with Roy Wood's abundant talent for song writing being exploited in the fine arrangements and accomplished playing. The apparent simplicity of the product to some extent disguises an underlying depth of talent. Listen to some of 10CCs album for example and the similarities become apparent.

The reissues of the album on CD include a plethora of bonus tracks. These are mainly alternative versions and mixes of tracks on the album, however the appearance of "Vote for me", the "lost" B-side" of "Cherry blossom clinic" is worth looking out for.

Review by UMUR
3 stars The Move is the self-titled full-length studio album by UK rock act The Move. I have a 2007, 2 disc version where disc 1 contains the original album plus some single only songs and disc 2 contains a stereo version of the album. The Move features among others Roy Wood and Bev Bevan who would later be members of Electric Light Orchestra.

I was listening to the album yesterday and my parents came to visit so I asked my father if he knew The Move ( I had never heard about the band before finding them on PA) and he said sure. He was even able to hum a few of the songs from this album and I bet itīs about 35 - 40 years since he heard those songs the last time. That must be some indication that the music on the album has a lasting quality but actually that was not my first impression or my last to be honest ( sorry Dad). The music is not very original and considering that the album was recorded in 1967 and released in 1968 I expected much more. The music on this album sounds more like it was released in 1964 or maybe 1965. Mostly uptempo beat rooted in rīnīb, strict vers/ chorus formulaic structures and a strong emphasis on vocals. The instrumental side of the music plays second fiddle to the vocals. The many harmony vocals on the album are actually quite impressive but this was not an unusual feature in those days. The songs donīt stand out much from each other but the doo wop song Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart, which is kind of silly, and the slightly interesting Mist on a Monday Morning were songs that I noticed.

The production allright but nothing special.

The Move isnīt the most exciting album from 1968 and it sounds like The Move came a few years too late with this release. Itīs not obnoxious or anything like that and a 2.5 - 3 star rating is not wrong IMO.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
4 stars One of the things i always wonder is how do certain bands come up with such LAME band names? Well THE MOVE literally refers to the shifting positions of band members from one band to another. Yeah, lame, i know but luckily the music of THE MOVE on their debut album MOVE is far from lame. This is yet one of a gazillion bands to have emerged from Birmingham, England in the 60s. This is a band that had significant success in their native UK by scoring a total of 20 hit singles in a five year span but had absolutely no success in the US or other English speaking countries which meant their career was a fairly short seven year span but a sweet one nonetheless. While the band was known for its innovative and progressive leanings beginning on their second album "Shazam," on this debut album they are all about psychedelic pop and were one of the main shakers of the short lived genre called "freakbeat" which incorporated many aspects of the early British beat scene with psychedelic elements like studio effects and stereophonic embellishments as to give it a strange contemporary achronistic feel at the same time.

What can i say about THE MOVE's first album? Well, it is very catchy psychedelic pop music from 1968. The main influence seems to be The Beatles, who apparently left a vacuum in the 60s pop world when they jettisoned the predictability of the early and mid 60s and moved on to proto-progressive releases such as "Sgt Pepper's" and ushered in an entirely new "free expression" musical world. Well, not everyone was ready for the liberation of this sort and that's why bands like The Monkees were manufactured and other bands like THE MOVE hungrily moved into the formerly occupied musical territory. While the 60s were burgeoning with psychedelic pop bands from all corners of the globe, THE MOVE were actually quite talented in this niche and they nailed the psychedelic pop sound they were going for. Yes, this does sound like it should have been released 3 or 4 years prior before the advent of Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Zappa, however for 60s pop music that takes its antecedents and compiles them into a whole and fine tunes all of these elements, this is pretty good. There is not one bad track on here and it sounds like every track on this debut could have been a pop single of the era.

The Beatles seem to have the biggest influence on this one with extremely catchy hooks that mostly utilize guitars, bass and drums but have piano, harpsichord, brass and woodwind orchestral embellishments on many (especially ending) tracks. There is also an element of sunshine pop like the type of The Turtles but also the cover tracks by Eddie Cochran and The Coasters bring an element of good old fashioned 50s rock 'n' roll to the mix. This album also has a very strong sense of pacing. It begins quite innocently in the sunshine psychedelic pop arena but as ti progresses adds more complexity, most of the time bringing The Beatles to mind, but often meandering into the Baroque pop of The Beach Boys. While this is 60s pop through and through, the sophistication of it all is very much appreciated. Yes, the sound is a bit anachronistic but only by a few years. The fact is that every track on here is extremely catchy and well performed. I particularly love the energy delivered by bassist Ace Kefford who ups the energetic feel of the era a bit. While the ideas may be recycled for the most part, the delivery is very contemporary. This album was a grower. Nothing progressive at this point but if you like excellently performed 60s psychedelic music then you cannot forego such a wonderful experience as THE MOVE's very first album. I personally enjoy this one very much.

Post a review of THE MOVE "The Move"