Renaissance - Camera Camera CD (album) cover

Renaissance

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
1 stars Bonjour Swansong

If Azure D'Or was a watered-down and streamlined version of A Song For All Seasons, then Camera Camera could be said to be a watered-down and streamlined version of Azure D'Or. Over these three albums there is a clear progression (or should I say regression?) from the classic Renaissance sound of the mid 70's towards a more Pop-oriented and New-Wave-ish sound in the early 80's. Camera Camera was the culmination of this demise. On Azure D'Or the group seemed unsure about whether to continue to make bleak copies of what they had done before or to go in this new direction, but on Camera Camera they went further into contemporary New-Wave and Pop. There are still hints and traces of the old Renaissance, but whenever these appear I get the feeling that I've heard it all before. Even the next album, the controversial Time-Line, is more exciting than this one in virtue of totally breaking with the classic sound and doing something different altogether.

The vocals of Annie Haslam are still strong and recognizable but she also seems to have picked up some influences from contemporary female Pop singers. The presence of grand piano and acoustic guitars that used to play such an important role in the sound of Renaissance is kept to a minimum here. Instead the sound is dominated by thin 80's sounding electronic keyboards. The songs clearly attempt to be catchy but they fail to impress or leave any lasting impression on me. Faeries (Living At The Bottom Of The Garden) is downright embarrassing, but the rest of the songs are generally decent but rather dull. Jigsaw is a good song that would not have been out of place on A Song For All Seasons, but again I feel as if I've heard it before.

Camera Camera is in my opinion the weakest point in the long career of Renaissance. It is not a truly awful album but it adds very little of value to the legacy of the band. I can thus only recommend this to people that already owns and loves all the other albums.

SouthSideoftheSky | 1/5 |