The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour CD (album) cover

EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR

The Moody Blues

UMUR
3 stars Every Good Boy Deserves Favour is the seventh full-length studio album by UK progressive rock act The Moody Blues. The original LP had nine songs but the 2007 CD deluxe edition has two bonus tracks. The album sees the band return to their more usual orchestrated sound after the short experimentation with a more stripped down instrumentation and sound on A Question of Balance (1970) .

The music is still pretty simple and melodic ( song oriented) progressive rock ( easy listening type) and if you enjoyed all the previous albums from the band you´re sure to enjoy this one too. The album has some pretty interesting progressive songs in the opening Procession and the closing My song but most songs are only slightly progressive. One More Time to Live is also one of the better tracks on the album IMO.

The musicianship is great as always but feast on that mellotron sound because this is the last The Moody Blues album to feature that instrument. Mike Pinder would replace his mellotron with a Chamberlin on the next album by the band Seventh Sojourn (1972). Also notice the use of Moog on Every Good Boy Deserves Favour. Something I can´t remember hearing in their music before.

The production is the best the band had had up until then and once again it´s the work of house producer Tony Clarke.

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour is a slight return to form for The Moody Blues after what I consider to be their weakest album out of the seven of the classic era A Question of Balance but I´m still not really interested in The Moody Blues music after listening to this album and while there are good moments on the album it´s a very average recording to my ears and a 3 star rating is the most I can give.

UMUR | 3/5 |