Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets CD (album) cover

HERE COME THE WARM JETS

Brian Eno

Progressive Electronic

UMUR
4 stars Here Come The Warm Jets is the debut studio album from UK experimental pop/ rock artist Brian Eno. After leaving Roxy Music because of differences with Bryan Ferry, Brian Eno made an experimental sound album with Robert Fripp ( King Crimson) called No Pussyfooting but his first true solo album is Here Come The Warm Jets. I havenīt heard any of his releases before this one and only know his performances on the first two Roxy Music albums. From what Iīve been able to read he is considered a leader and an innovator in electronic music but the music on this album does not point in that direction.

The music is pretty influenced by the glam rock David Bowie played at the time without being a ripp-off. Lots of great guitar riffs, great vocals from Brian Eno himself who has a voice and vocal style somewhere between David Bowie and Bryan Ferry. Thereīs also a noticable fifties doo woop element in some of the songs that I greatly enjoy ( Cindy Tells Me, On Some Faraway Beach). Of course there are lots of keyboard and synths in the music as well but not to an extent where I think itīs obvious that itīs a keyboardist solo album. Brian Eno is very aware of the fact that skilled musicianship doesnīt necessarely make good songs. In other words he is a very skilled composer and I really enjoy the music on the album. The only song that reminds me of his old band Roxy Music is The Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch so donīt expect this to be a Roxy Music sound alike album. There are some wonderful dark songs on the album as well in Babyīs on Fire and especially Driving me Backwards and in addition to all of the above mentioned styles Some of them are Old has a melody right of a Beatles album. The songs are generally not overtly progressive in structure but they are certainly innovative and exciting anyway.

The musicianship is excellent. Brian Enoīs vocal performance is very good and his mood enhancing keyboard style is great too. He is not a show-off and I appreciate his generally restrained style. The album hosts guests performances from such prolific musicians as Robert Fripp, Phil Manzanera, John Wetton, Andy Mackay, Simon King and Paul Thompson. Especially Robert Frippīs presense on the album is very obvious.

The production is a bit raw but still very enjoyable. Some of the songs have many layers and Iīm still discovering new things. Very professional sound indeed.

As you might have noticed Iīm a bit surprised at the sound on Here Come The Warm Jets and by the fact that I enjoy this album so much. Iīve listened to the album many times to be sure that this feeling would continue and fortunately the album just gets better and better. A sure 4 star rating from me. A very recommendable album. I canīt wait to listen to more music from Brian Eno.

UMUR | 4/5 |