Torman Maxt - The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 CD (album) cover

THE PROBLEM OF PAIN: PART 1

Torman Maxt

UMUR
2 stars The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 is the third studio album from Christian rock/ soft metal act Torman Maxt. Now after downloading the album for free on the bands official internet site I went and read lead singer/ guitarist Tony Massaroīs blog. Here he tells why Torman Maxt is giving away the album for free, but what caught my eye more than anything else on the blog is that Tony doesnīt like Torman Maxt to be labelled Chrisian Rock or Metal. As he explains on the blog people who give labels like that almost always imply that the music is a second rate version of heavy metal or rock. I must say that itīs hard not to call the band Christian rock/ metal because the lyrics on this album are as extreme ( in a Christian way) as the lyrics on any Satanic black or death metal acts album. Itīs just an aquired taste if you like one or the other ( or both/ none for that matter).

The music is very influenced by Rush and itīs especially the vocals from Tony Massaro that reminds me of Geddy Lee ( another thing Tony Massaro mentions on his blog with a humourous story). The music is very melodic and generally have a positive spirit ( except Satanīs First and second song. Pretty dark mood in those). I canīt say that the music really does much for me but there are parts that are not bad. The lyrics does have a tendency to ruin things for me though. Being an atheist itīs a bit hard to listen to a full album with lines like Holy, Holy Lord and What Would Make You Pray to a God without feeling just a bit annoyed. Lyrics like that donīt work for me and invokes frightening images of mid-western republicans with Texas ties. Iīm getting the feeling that the moderate Christians also find this way too extreme to enjoy.

The musicianship is not very strong. The drums are especially worth mentioning. Simple and trivial. The vocals from Tony Massaro are allright though. Guitars and bass plays some pretty generic hard rock/ metal riffs. Again Iīm reminded of Rush on a bad day.

The production is not very good. This is not a professional sounding production. The drums sound like cardboard boxes and the guitar is way too low in the mix much of the time.

Overall The Problem Of Pain: Part 1 is not a very succesful album. I think the one star ratings are a bit too harsh though and I will give a 1.5 star rating. I can only recommend that you listen to a band like Saviour Machine instead though if you want to hear music with Chrisitan lyrics.

UMUR | 2/5 |