Steven Wilson - 4  CD (album) cover

Steven Wilson

thwok
3 stars Steven Wilson's 4 1/2 is a mini-LP (Wilson's words) of music recorded between HAND CANNOT ERASE and THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING. This is Steven Wilson, so the music is reliably intelligent and well played. As the official Allmusic (great website) review suggests, "Year of the Plague" is a nonessential track. In my opinion, the album lags in the middle. It falls too easily into repetitive, almost ambient territory, as Wilson sometimes does.

As criticisms go, however, there are far worse ones. My favorite track originates from the time when Porcupine Tree were still a going concern. I absolutely love this version of "Don't Hate Me", with Theo Travis and Ninet Tayeb's contributions. It's worth at least 1 star by itself. "Happiness III" is also very catchy. I'll give this a good 3 stars, but you just have to hear the two tracks mentioned.

thwok | 3/5 |