Gojira - The Link CD (album) cover

THE LINK

Gojira

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
3 stars The Link is the second album from French metal band Gojira. Itīs a step forward from their debut which was enjoyable but flawed. The Link is a better album in terms of production and songwriting and itīs definitely an enjoyable album too.

The music is heavily inspired by Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory and especially Meshuggah. If you like any of these three bands or preferably all of them youīll probably enjoy Gojira too. Even though the influences are pretty obvious I still feel Gojira has their own approach to the tech industrial thrash/ death metal genre. Joe Duplantier is a very good singer and even though his style is pretty agressive there is always a melodic touch to his almost growling vocals.

The songs have elements from thrash metal, industrial ( only some notes, not the eletronic features many industrial metal bands use. Gojiraīs industrial approach is comparable to the industrial approach that a band like Napalm Death also have), hardcore and a tiny bit of death metal. The hardcore part includes the typical heavy break downs. There are plenty tempo and time signature changes in every song. One of the features Gojira uses a lot on The Link is the very short ( second long sometimes) blast beat parts in their riffs. This was also a feature on their debut but itīs done with a little more finesse on The Link. This is a pretty typical contemporary extreme metal feature that I donīt always enjoy, but I think Gojira pulls it of well. Most songs are very good and varied but I do get a bit tired of the style towards the end of the album and I think the quality drops a bit on the last couple of songs.

The musiciaship is great. This is not music with solos or other instrumental noodling but rather a team effort with lots of groovy rythms and precise playing between the musicians. This band works like a machine. This might be a turn-off to some, but to me as a techmetal lover itīs great.

The production is good but does have itīs flaws. In some of the songs itīs not as good in some parts as it is in others.

The Link started out as 4 star album for me, but after I have listened to the album a couple of times itīs now a 3 star album. Itīs a quality metal album and there are excellent songs and parts in songs on The Link, but I still think Gojira needs to improve on their song writing. They got the technical side of things right, but a bit more personal song writing would do the trick. Gojira is a very promising band though.

UMUR | 3/5 |