Hawkwind - Hawkwind CD (album) cover

HAWKWIND

Hawkwind

Psychedelic/Space Rock

UMUR
4 stars The self titled debut album from Hawkwind was a nice surprise for me. I´m a newbie to the band and the only thing I know about Hawkwind is that Lemmy from Mötorhead once played in the band. Hawkwind is of course nothing like Mötorhead though and Lemmy doesn´t appear on this debut album from Hawkwind.

The music is psychadelic rock with a pretty repetitive beat and some spacelike sounds to make it even more stoned. By stoned I don´t mean slow in this context as Hawkwind´s music is generally midpaced. The original album only consisted of seven songs while the CD release has four extra tracks. While the seven original songs are very good I´m very happy about the four extra tracks too as they are good for the diversity of the album.

The album starts with the blues based uptempo song Hurry On Sundown which has lots of harmonica and Dave Brock´s repetitive yet strong vocal lines. A great beginning to the album even though Hurry On Sundown is a very simple song. The Reason Is? brings us into space mode. It´s basically just a lot of weird sounds. Be Yourself is one of the highlights of the album. The simple vocal line is effective but it´s the almost tribal percussion part in the middle of the song and the great guitar solo that steals the picture. With Paranoia Part 1 and 2 we ´re back in space with weird sounds and jamlike structure. Seeing It As You Really Are is one long jamming song which has some great sections but gets a bit too long for my taste. Mirror Of Illusion is another great song here I enjoy a lot.

The four extra tracks are simple rock songs but they are very good. My favorite is Kiss Of The Velvet Whip. Hurry On Sundown is here in a different more spaced out version. Both Bring It On Home and Cymbaline are great songs too.

The musicianship is good and I especially enjoy the blues based guitar solos from Huw Lloyd Langton. He plays with great intensity. Dave Brock is a good vocalist and he suits the music fine.

The production is good. You can hear everything that´s going on.

As you can probably sense I like this album a lot even though I don´t particularly like the most spaced out moments which seems a bit too loose in structure for me. If I had to review the original LP I would give it 3 stars, but with the addition of the four bonus tracks I will give the album 4 small stars. It was either 3 big ones or 4 small so I rounded up the rating this time. I´ll be looking forward to listening to the next album from Hawkwind.

UMUR | 4/5 |