The Dear Hunter - Act I: The Lake South, The River North CD (album) cover

ACT I: THE LAKE SOUTH, THE RIVER NORTH

The Dear Hunter

UMUR
4 stars I know this is only considered an EP but donīt be fooled by that tack as Act I: The Lake South, The River North by The Dear Hunter is 38:36 minutes long which in my eyes qualify as album length. A short album yes, but album length it is. Act I: The Lake South, The River North is the debut release from The Dear Hunter and itīs a very good EP release that is worth checking out indeed. The Dear Hunter is really a one man band that consists of Casey Crescenzo. Casey sings and plays all instruments except the drums who are played by Nick Crescenzo. Judy and Phil Crescenzo also guests here with backing vocals and organ respectively. Tom Neeson plays trumpet and there are also a guy named Dan Nigro who sings some additional vocals.

The music is modern symphonic prog rock IMO, but there are also other influences present on the EP. The music evolves around Casey Crescenzoīs melody lines and the mood is generally pretty dark. The music is very dynamic and has both quit beautiful moments and more powerful moments too. Casey Crescenzo is a very diverse and skilled singer and he masters lots of different moods and styles. I generally like his vocals very much but sometimes they get a bit to emo for my ears and I canīt help being reminded of bands like My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco which IMO isnīt the best bands to be compared to. Donīt get scared by this remark though as the vocals are generally very beautiful. There are some great rythms here to acompagny the music and I am intrigued time and again by something that happens in the songs. The structure is not radio friendly pop structures.

The musicianship on the album is a real treat and I believe Casey will be one of the new stars in modern prog without a doubt.

The production is very good and it has a special emphazis on the vocals that I really enjoy.

Itīs not often I pick up something I had never heard of before and get this impressed and I will rate this EP 4 stars because I really think itīs excellent prog rock. This is highly recommendable to people who would like to hear some new prog rock that doesnīt sound like itīs made in the seventies.

UMUR | 4/5 |