Saviour Machine - Saviour Machine CD (album) cover

SAVIOUR MACHINE

Saviour Machine

UMUR
5 stars This is the debut album from Saviour Machine. I remember reading about this album in some metal magazines I read at the time this was released. It was highly praised which is something that seldom happens to Christian bands in metal magazines. As an Atheist myself I have a hard time with Christian bands praising God or even preaching Christianity in their lyrics but Saviour Machine is different. This is important to note, as I know just mentioning the word Christian will drive away many listeners. Saviour Machine´s lyrics have a christian angle but they are dark and emotional journeys into tortured souls. It´s really depressive but that´s the way I like it.

Saviour Machine is a very original progressive rock band with slight metal tendencies. Their music is dark and the most obvious influences are The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission and Fields of the Nephilim. In addition to these goth rock bands Saviour Machine also has a progressive metal edge. Eric Clayton´s baritone operatic David Bowie Croon is the driving force in the band. His vocals are very emotional and his voice very distinct. The music is very majestic and symphonic and it´s not because of the use of keyboards because keyboards are not dominant on this album, it´s mostly due to Eric Clayton´s long notes and his brother guitarist Jeff Clayton´s beautiful playing. Jeff Clayton´s playing borders neo progressive at times.

The songs are very well written. They are not very complex in structure but they are exciting enough to not fall under the commercial vers chorus banner. The songs have the same mood throughout the album, but they are diverse enough to not be trivial. Songs like Force Of The Entity and The Mask are very melodic and powerful rock/ metal songs while there are also majestic semi-ballad songs like Son Of The Rain and A World Alone. Opening song Carnival of Souls and the majestic almost epic song Killer needs to be mentioned too as they are great examples of Saviour Machine´s brilliance. There is only one song here I find pretty average and that is The Widow And The Bride. It´s not a bad song at all just very average compared to the rest of the material.

The musicians are good without being outstanding really. Eric Clayton should be mentioned though as he is an outstanding and very personal vocalist. His style is very commanding and emotional. His appearence is pretty original too. Always dressed in a black cloak ( His clothes looks like the clothes worn by Pin-Head in Hellraiser if anyone can make that connection), white chalked in the face and with a big piercing through his forehead he is sure to bring attention to himself. I´ve never seen Saviour Machine live but the reviews I have read through the years suggest that Eric Clayton´s performance was equaly as commanding as it is on record.

The production is not the most professional I have heard, but it suits the music really well anyway.

I am debating myself here if this album deserves the full 5 stars or only a big 4 star rating, but I think I´m gonna have to chose the latter. Eric Clayton´s voice decides things for me. Saviour Machine´s biggest asset ends up being their biggest weakness too. Eric Clayton´s voice beautiful as it is, is too one dimensional in the end. 67:55 minutes with his operatic vocal style is a bit much if you ask me. At least you´ll have to be in the right mood to endure it. Besides this minor flaw this album is brilliant and highly recommendable. This one is not to be missed by people into darker more goth orientated prog rock/ Metal. 4 BIG stars is my final conclusion.

NOTE: After having listened to Saviour Machine´debut album a lot over the last couple of months since I wrote this review I have now come to the conclusion that this is a masterpiece and deserves all 5 stars. I have therefore upgraded this album from 4 stars to 5 stars. I´ve come to realize that Saviour Machine is one of my favorite bands even though my worldview is very different from theirs, but I just can´t stop listening to their beautiful and dark music and that´s a good indication that this is really something special.

UMUR | 5/5 |