Marillion - Fugazi CD (album) cover

FUGAZI

Marillion

UMUR
5 stars Marillionīs second album Fugazi is one of my favorite albums. It was the album that introduced me to Marillionīs fantastic music. I lend it on the public library in my home town, but wasnīt too impressed with what I heard. After a couple of listens I was converted though and the beauty of Marillionīs music unfolded to me.

The music on Fugazi is pretty simple prog rock dominated by Mark Kellyīs eighties sounding keyboards, Steve Rotheryīs nice and melodic guitar work and of course Fish emotional vocals. Donīt expect many instrumental parts as Fish fills out almost every space there are with his beautiful vocals.

He is such an outstanding and original singer and his lyrics are among the best I have ever read. Always with a melancholic edge and always about things you can relate to. Just try and listen to the every day life love song Punch and Judy. I have never read such realistic love lyrics before and it never gets cheesy like many other love songs. Well itīs not a traditional love song by any means. Whoever would sing lines like: Who forgot to flush the loo, in a song about relationships ? Well only one man is brave enough for that kind of lyrics and that would be our FISH. Or the song She Chameleon which is about a trick turning feme fatale. Itīs just beautiful stuff in my opinion.

The rythm section has been altered since Script for a Jesterīs Tear as new drummer Ian Mosley has been included in the ranks. He has a very eighties sound and style which has to be heard as I canīt describe such a thing in a good way. Pete Trewavas still plays some nice bass lines and contributes in his own way to the soundscape.

The production is very much in the eighties vein with very much treble. I think itīs great but itīs very far from the more organic sound of the seventies which I normally prefer. I love the production here though as it is perfect for the songs.

Fugazi is a true Masterpiece of symphonic prog rock ( or neo prog if you must say so) and an all time favorite of mine and of course it deserves the 5 stars more than anything.

Note the beautiful cover. Itīs a real classic.

UMUR | 5/5 |