Nik Turner - Space Fusion Odyssey CD (album) cover

SPACE FUSION ODYSSEY

Nik Turner

Psychedelic/Space Rock

friso
3 stars Nik Turner - Space Fusion Odyssey (2015)

I really liked the Space Gypsy (2013) album because of it's Hawkwind style and catchy tunes. On the Space Fusion Odyssey album another brand of spacerock is played, more in the tradion of Fusion styled Gong. Nik Turner, the ex windinstrumentalist from Hawkwind, has invited an interesting list of musicans; Robby Krieger (The Doors), Steve Hilliage (Gong, solo), Gilly Smith (Gong) and Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra, solo).. that's impressive.

However, this album fails to amaze me. Whereas Space Gypsy had plenty of catchy moments and melodies, this album doesn't have many. The fusion chords and solo's give rise to some more interesting harmonics and bass guitar / drums extravaganza's, but I never feel attached to the music. Their are few vocals on the album and even fewer lyrics. The guitar leads and fusion solo's dissapoint me a bit, perhaps we have been spoiled by earlier records of Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever. Nik Turner himself is obviously not a very experienced jazz musician, for his solos fail to rise above the rock'n roll feel that often sounds a bit misplaced here. What is interesting is how he remained true to his original Hawkwind signature sound. Still the rhythms are quite well made and the interplay of rhythm instruments is often great! I very much doubt that this record could dissapoint spacerock listeners in general.

Conclusion. A brave attempt at re-creating the space fusion sound invented by Gong, but not an improvement. This album is mainly interesting for its list of great musicians and loose spacey atmospheres. Fusionlisteners will have better alternatives, so this is for spacerock listeners only I guess. Three stars.

friso | 3/5 |