Renaissance - Prologue CD (album) cover

PROLOGUE

Renaissance

Matti
2 stars Here began the Annie Haslam -era of RENAISSANCE. I borrowed this LP in the summer of '90. Revealing about my opinion of this album is that my tapings of it haven't survived up to this day, nor do I miss them either. Prologue showed the way the band was heading at, but especially production-wise this is rather weak - a prologue indeed, where the band chemistry is only on its way to bloom. None of the six tracks make it into my favourite list, actually. The best known is the title track with wordless singing, which gets a bit irritating as it gives the impression that the "song" is an unfinished demo. 'Kiev' is an OK folkish song not far from the style of the earlier Renaissance, as is the simple 'Spare Some Love'. The calm 'Sounds of the Sea' (with exactly what the title promises) could have been developed into a beautiful dreamy song but it feels more like tired. 'Bound For Infinity' slips my memory now... The 11-minute 'Rajah Khan' is the most ambitious one with its Eastern influences, but I find it boring and a bit pretentious.

The next chapter, Ashes Are Burning, was to be a leap forward. The best side of Prologue is frankly the weird Hipgnosis cover.

Matti | 2/5 |