Metallica - ...And Justice For All CD (album) cover

...AND JUSTICE FOR ALL

Metallica

siLLy puPPy
5 stars This was a new era for METALLICA. Hardly recovered from losing their bassist, Cliff Burton, they were finding sudden popularity after the success of MASTER OF PUPPETS. On this release they upped the progressiveness making this one of the earliest prog thrash metal releases and certainly one of the most successful in terms of sales. They went from being a slightly successful band to one of the biggest in the biz.

Although I hear a lot of complaining about the production of this album, I have to say that I quite like it and I think it gives it a unique sound unlike any other album. It's important to remember that there was a backlash to overproduced albums in the late 80s with the success of slick studio albums from Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Poison etc.

I believe that Metallica intended this to have a more lo-fi sound that would keep them sounding underground even if they were becoming one of the biggest names on the planet. Something about the theme and lyrical content about the lack of justice that lend an oppressive sound to the whole thing. The sounds of the guitars and bass as one super-instrument somehow imply that when justice is denied none has his own voice. I may be digging deep here but for some reason it really works for me!

While it's really hard for me to pick a favorite album from METALLICA (only 3 contenders), this one may be the one i've listened to the most. It was the first album I actually owned from them and I have listened to this more times than I can count to the point of being sick of it years ago!

siLLy puPPy | 5/5 |