AFFECTS

New Sun

New Sun Affects album cover

Buy NEW SUN Music
Studio Album, released in 1998

1. Dark the Azure Sky (1:18)
2. Prometheus (6:25)
3. Acquired Muscle Memory (3:55)
4. Cyrus Gore (9:47)
5. Cause & Effect (4:35)
6. ...But For The Gleam In Her Eye (1:41)
7. FYB (the Deceptionist) (8:41)
8. Question (7:34)

Search NEW SUN Affects lyrics

Search NEW SUN Affects tabs

- D. L. Erickson / guitars and keyboards
- Alex Kley / bass
- Christopher Scott / guitars, vocals, keyboards, acillatem processor, samples
- Chris Trujillo / drums, percussion, and vocals

NEW SUN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NEW SUN Affects Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
TransitoryTransitory
CD Baby 2016
Fractured (1995)Fractured (1995)
Original recording
Blue Seven Music
Audio CD$7.95 (used)
Damage DoneDamage Done
CD Baby 2016

More places to buy NEW SUN music online Buy NEW SUN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

NEW SUN Affects ratings distribution

NEW SUN Affects reviews

4 stars NEW SUN's second release is not as straight forward as their debut "Fractured" as the band experiments more with spacey soundscapes on this one. It's not surprising then that fellow Americans DJAM KARET came to mind when I listened to this album. This spacey sound is in keeping with the theme (the Mind) that runs through this record. There is a line in the song "Question" that explains what this theme is about "Images stir the mind and affect our very lives".This is why the album is called "Affect" as the band shows how our endless thoughts and memories "affect" how we live our lives.

"Dark The Azure Sky" opens the record with tribal-like drumming and some scorching guitar based soundscapes.This is an amazing tune that is way too short. "Prometheus" is a song with lyrics that deal with memories and the "hours of aimless thought..." It opens with guitar- led atmospheric sounds and keys before a RUSH moment comes into play 1 1/2 minutes in. The vocals remind me of the singer for UNDER THE SUN. Heavy guitar and drums arrive and the song accelerates 4 1/2 minutes in. "Acquired Muscle Memory" is an instrumental that is very spacey and atmospheric with an eerie vibe. "Cyrus Gore" has a dark intro before we get a good rhythm with spoken vocals. The song gets heavy 3 1/2 minutes in with riffs as heavy drums follow. It becomes atmospheric until we get some blistering guitar soundscapes. The song ends with the sounds of crickets.

"Cause & Effect" is my least favourite as it's a fairly straight forward song with violin, vocals and guitar. I still like this one though and the guitar reminds me of Lifeson. "...But For The Gleam In Her Eye" is another instrumental. This one has a chilling atmosphere as sequencers and keyboards create the sounds. "FYB(The Deceptionist)" is a song about a former friend who was a liar and deceiver, and how this person became this way in their mind first. The song also relates that if this person had only "opened up their mind" they could have been different, but it's too late now (to save their friendship). The song opens with some ripping guitar as I am again reminded of RUSH. Vocals come in followed by a dark mood. Some great guitar 4 1/2 minutes in and an extended instrumental ends the tune. "Question" is dedicated to a friend who died at around 23 years of age. It again deals with memories and the mind related to this person. The music features a lot of guitar. I like the guitar melodies and the guitar soundscapes that paint the background.

Overall I prefer their debut to this one but not by much. In the liner notes Christopher Scott the band leader thanks "Ian Anderson, and the members of RUSH for constant inspiration throughout my life".

Review by b_olariu
3 stars New Sun is somehow an unknown band in prog circles even they release 4 albums to date. They are from USA formed in early '90s. The second album from 1998 named Affects is a trip in heavy prog realm with some great guitar parts and dark atmosphere. Also they incorporated in their sound some space rock passages that gives overall a fairly decent experince to the listner. The riffs and sound remind me in places of King Crimson and even some Rush passages are to be found here, but are all melted with their own twists. This album is ok, good no doubt but some parts are little forced in my opinion, like for instance in pieces like FYB (the Deceptionist) or "Cause & Effect". There are also some highlights like Prometheus and ending track Question. So, fans of Rush at some point might give this band a try, they are ok, but I don't think is a groundbreaking release, still 3 stars to this one, good cover art.

Post a review of NEW SUN "Affects"