APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Georg Frideric Handel - APOLLO E DAFNE CD NEW USD $10.84 Buy It Now 2h 51m
USED CHANCE THE RAPPER TICKET STUB AT THE O2 APOLLO, MANCHESTER 26th NOV 2016 USD $2.79 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Apollo 100 ?- Rhapsody In Rock (REF TS) USD $34.76 Buy It Now 3h
APOLLO`S FIRE / SORRELL-SEPHARDIC JOURNEY: WANDERINGS OF THE SPANISH JEWS CD NEW USD $17.12 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Sons Of Apollo-Psychotic Symphony (Deluxe) CD NEW USD $34.50 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Todd Rundgren " A Wizard A True Star " live Feb 2010 London Apollo USD $14.01 [0 bids]
USD $21.01 Buy It Now
The Clash Glasgow Apollo NEW A1 Size 84.1cm x 59.4cm - approx 33" x 24" Poster USD $9.79 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (From Fear Through. USD $5.60 [0 bids]
RALPH FONT & ORCHESTRA RUMBA GALLEGA LATIN 78 APOLLO 1126 White Label DJ Copy USD $8.93 Buy It Now 4h 4m
Apollo 440 - Gettin' High On Your Own Supply (CD) USD $19.59 Buy It Now 4h 17m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 2 RSD Purple 2LP USD $26.60 Buy It Now 4h 25m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 1 RSD White 2LP USD $26.60 Buy It Now 4h 25m
PETER SPALENY & APOLLO - SAIL WITH ME - 12" VINYL LP USD $5.60 [0 bids]
George Frideric Handel : Georg Frideric Handel - APOLLO E DAFNE CD (2001) USD $4.50 Buy It Now 4h 39m
vinyl lp record STRAVINSKY - ANSERMET les noces / apollo musagetes USD $14.01 Buy It Now 4h 54m
APOLLO 13 SOUNDTRACK CASSETTE TAPE 2 RARE! NEW & SEALED! JAMES HORNER USD $3.95 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - Easy Truth [New Vinyl] USD $22.23 Buy It Now 5h 9m
70's Taiwan Chen Qiong Mei & Apollo Band Psych Garage Life Hong Kong 7" CEP2990 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
JAMES BROWN : LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1995 (CD) sealed USD $10.91 Buy It Now 5h 15m
COHEED & CAMBRIA : GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV VOLUME ONE (CD) sealed USD $10.91 Buy It Now 5h 16m
JAMES BROWN Live At The Apollo Volume 2 Deluxe Edition 3x LP Vinyl Set USD $11.20 [0 bids]
MOZART: APOLLO ET HYACINTHUS / MATT, MORVAI, ET AL (NEW CD) USD $6.84 Buy It Now 5h 51m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, VOL. 2: NO WORLD FOR TOMOR USD $13.04 Buy It Now 5h 51m
APOLLO 100 w/ Tom Parker Excercise In A Mirror / Joy 7" Record 45 615-0050 USD $4.39 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - Easy Truth [New Vinyl] USD $27.10 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Live at the Apollo [Remaster] by James Brown/James Brown & His Famous Flames... USD $13.81 Buy It Now 6h
Charlie Barnet 78 SOUTHERN FRIED / LITTLE JOHN ORDINARY~APOLLO VG++ USD $6.16 Buy It Now 6h 11m
CASANOVAS - Apollo 477 - Please Be My Love - 1955 DOO-WOP 45 VG/VG+ (original) USD $195.00 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Roberto Roena Y Su Apollo Sound - X El Progreso - CD - [NM] - Rare Guaguanco USD $6.99 [0 bids]
Roberto Roena Y Su Apollo Sound - 5 - CD - [NM] - Rare Salsa Guaguanco USD $6.99 [1 bids]
APOLLO 100 - Golden Instrumental Hits - CD - **Excellent Condition** USD $12.75 Buy It Now 6h 30m
THE CELLOS RANG TANG DING DONG(I am the Japanese Sandman) 45 Doo-Wop APOLLO USD $12.79 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Ain't Talkin Bout Dub / Glam [Audio CD] Apollo Four Forty USD $5.92 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Moon Voyage - Talespinners for Children APOLLO 11 - Sunset Records LP USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Misc Styles(1) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 7h 6m
THE MOTOR TOWN REVUE VOL. 1 Miracles, Mary Wells etc. APOLLO LIVE LP French NM USD $9.10 Buy It Now 7h 18m
R&B(4) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $3.53 Buy It Now 7h 19m
Dio - LIVE IN LONDON - Hammersmith Apollo 1993 DCD #86112 USD $23.84 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Bruce Springsteen Apollo Theatre 03/09/12 cd 2 disc set Rare Website Only title USD $32.99 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Barbara Thompson: Three Quartets 2006 by Barbara Thompson; The Apollo Saxophone USD $12.89 Buy It Now 7h 51m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY GETTIN VERY RARE UKR ORIGINAL TAPE CASSETTE SEALED ELECTRONIC USD $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 52m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY 1997- PROMO POSTCARD FLYER USD $2.24 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Various Artists : Apollo Classics ~ Debussy CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 57m
Come to the River: An Early American Gathering 2011 by Apollo's Fire; EXLIBRARY USD $5.94 Buy It Now 8h
Various Artists : Apollo Classics ~ Haydn CD USD $4.49 Buy It Now 8h 7m
JAMES BROWN - LIVE & LOWDOWN AT THE APOLLO VOL.1 - LP USD $12.95 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Classical(8) - Mix&Match Music CDs U Pick *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $1.63 Buy It Now 8h 25m
* CD - APOLLO 440: Millenium - 10 TRACK / BIG BEAT /TRANCE / 1997 / FREE UK P USD $4.19 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Unknown Artist : Apollo Classics: Dvorak CD USD $4.29 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Out Of This World - Apollo 2000 - CD - 1996 Telstar Records - England USD $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Apollo 440 - Astral America 12" - SSX T2 matrix A1/B1 - Ex USD $11.19 Buy It Now 8h 45m
B.B. King- Live at the Apollo  (CD, Apr-1991, GRP (USA)) USD $3.00 [0 bids]
DETROIT SOUL Prev. unreleased JUST BROTHERS Honey/APOLLO STUDIO BAND Honkey tonk USD $16.81 Buy It Now 8h 52m
APOLLO 13 cd MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE - VARIOUS ARTISTS - 15 TRACKS USD $1.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Dream Theater Ticket Stub, Manchester Apollo 2004 + related newspaper cutting. USD $9.79 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Shall Noise Upon by Apollo Sunshine USD $1.75 Buy It Now 9h 14m
R & B 45 THE ROMEOS I BEG YOU PLEASE ON APOLLO STRONG VG REPRO USD $9.00 Buy It Now 9h 24m
Unknown Artist : Apollo Classics ~ Tchaikovsky #1 CD USD $4.12 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Apollo 13 : Brave New World CD USD $5.94 Buy It Now 9h 36m
Apollo Sessions - Royals Five Compact Disc USD $14.94 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Smile, Apollo : Apollo Smile CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Apollo 2 - The Divine Compilation SRCS-7732~3 JAPAN 2CD A-6628 USD $6.98 Buy It Now 9h 52m
APOLLO 13 James Horner COMPLETE SCORE - NEW & SEALED USD $36.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Lionel Hampton 50s JAZZ BOP LP Apollo Hall Concert 1954 ORIGINAL MONO USD $17.98 Buy It Now 10h
Apollo100 - Rhapsody In Rock LP - SYB 3002 1st Press - VG USD $25.19 Buy It Now 10h 7m
Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Mad USD $5.19 Buy It Now 10h 12m
DOOWOP 45 RPM RECORD - THE 5 ROYALES - APOLLO 8-443 - RED VINYL USD $100.00 Buy It Now 10h 19m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Raw Power 5TRX 3 MIXES & INSTRUMENTAL CD single USA Seller 440 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
EDGAR WINTER Concert Ticket Stub 1982 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Apollo 440 - Rumble EP 12" - SSX T1 - VG USD $9.79 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Rare Singapore Apollo Five & The Rhythm Boy's OB Cha Cha Dance Music 12" CLP4424 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Taiwan Teresa Teng ??? & Apollo Band G/F Chinese Life Blue Label 12" CLP4346 USD $79.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Rare Malaysia Wong Shiau Chuen ??? Apollo Band Vol.6 New Year Songs 12" CLP3535 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Taiwan Wong Foong Foong & Apollo Band 1978 Vol.6 Chinese Movie OST 12" CLP4542 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
THE UPSTARTS Open the Door, Baby APOLLO 468 M- Listen!! USD $100.00 Buy It Now 10h 50m
Unknown Artist : Apollo Classics ~ Bizet-Mendelssohn CD USD $4.73 Buy It Now 10h 50m
SIR CHARLES THOMPSON with CHARLIE PARKER / J.C. HEARD Apollo Sessions VOGUE USD $5.98 Buy It Now 10h 54m
Taiwan Yao Wei & Mega Rare Sunshine Choir, Travellers & Apollo Band 12" CLP4233 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Mega Rare Malaysia Lee Yee ?? White Swan & Apollo Band Vol.13 1979 12" CLP4381 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Singapore Apollo Band Pop Cha Cha Instrumental Music 12" CLP3482 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Singapore Song Peng & Rare Apollo 5 Band G/F Chinese 12" CLP3650 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Avarice in Audio - Apollo & Dionysus [New CD] USD $20.09 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Musical Box 2 x Ticket Stub, Manchester Apollo 2006 + A4 fold-out promo flyer USD $13.99 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Avarice in Audio - Apollo & Dionysus [New CD] USD $15.15 Buy It Now 11h
Singapore Lisa Wong ?? & Apollo Band Vol.5 Chinese 12" LP (LFLP569) CLP2163 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h
Taiwan Wong Foong Foong ??? Apollo Band 1979 Vol.9 Life Malaysia 12" CLP3773 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h
Mega Rare Singapore Lisa Wong & Apollo Band Vol.5 1978 Cantonese 12" CLP3881 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 11h
Singapore Apollo Band Hokkien Folk Music Rare Durian On Cover 12" LP CLP2229 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 11h
Hong Kong Frances Yip ??? ??? & Apollo Band Chinese OST Life 12" CLP3427 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h
Mega Rare Hong Kong Liu Feng Ping & Apollo Band Cantonese Singapore 12" CLP4550 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 11h
Mega Rare 70s Taiwan Wan Sa Lang & Apollo Band Chinese Pop Life 12" CLP4562 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Rare Malaysia Yao Yi ?? & Apollo Band Vol.1 12" LP CLP2261 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Rare Singapore Lisa Wong ?? Apollo Band 1975 Chinese Christmas Songs 12" CLP3631 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Apollo Band Music Vol.4 Sexy Bikini Rare Honda Motorbike On Cover 12" CLP3486 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Hong Kong Tam Bing Man ??? & Lydia Sum ??? Apollo Band Chinese 12" CLP2197 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Singapore Chen Mei Feng & Apollo Band Chinese Life 12" CLP3620 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
70's Malaysia Wong Shiau Chuen & Apollo Band Vol.7 Chinese 12" CLP4762 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One: From Fera Through USD $24.47 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Mudslide : Apollo CD USD $4.97 Buy It Now 11h 6m
annie williams 12" ep folie apollo 23 vg+/m- uk import USD $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"