APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

George Frideric Handel: Apollo e Daphne, New Music USD $9.78 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Live At The Apollo, Jack Dee, Very Good CD USD $2.78 Buy It Now 2h 6m
ILLINOIS JACQUET 12 Minutes To Go/She's Funny That Way APOLLO 764 EE- 78RPM HEAR USD $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Casanovas "Please Be My Love" Apollo 477 Doowop 45 Original USD $149.99 [0 bids]
3h
BLUNT JAMES MOON LANDING APOLLO EDITION CD + DVD NEW USD $6.80 Buy It Now 3h 10m
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS 'Apollo 18' Limited Edition Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED USD $22.43 Buy It Now 3h 18m
V.A.-APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT-JAPAN CD B50 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
THE APOLLO KIDS counting off 12" RECORD MEAT KATIE ELITE FORCE REMIX USD $17.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
JAMES BROWN SOUL FUNK LP LIVE AT THE APOLLO USD $19.99 [0 bids]
David York: Apollo & Hyacinth, , Good USD $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Apollo 440 cd singles krupa space angels USD $25.86 [0 bids]
DEACON BLUE LIVE 2 CD SET MANCHESTER APOLLO 22 NOVEMBER 2007 NEW USD $38.80 [0 bids]
PETER SPALENY & APOLLO - SAIL WITH ME - 12" VINYL LP USD $9.06 [0 bids]
Apollo Withstands CD - Sawmill Studios Cornwall - Danny Saunders Will Hargreaves USD $9.04 Buy It Now 5h 32m
BLISS: MORNING HEROES; HYMN FOR APOLLO [USED CD] USD $14.06 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Bliss: Morning Heroes; Hymn for Apollo New CD USD $14.91 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Apollo - Waterdevils USD $14.35 Buy It Now 6h 15m
JAZZ 78 rpm RECORD Apollo Records COLEMAN HAWKINS & HIS ORCHESTRA Woodyin´you... USD $49.99 Buy It Now 6h 18m
Lionel Hampton - Apollo Hall Concert 1954, Epic LN 3190, 1955 Mono LP USD $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 25m
HOODLUM PRIEST - NAKED TIME - 1995 STYLUS CD SINGLE - ZTT/APOLLO 440/NOKO USD $5.18 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Apollo Four Forty - Krupa, SSXT5, 12" Vinyl USD $6.46 Buy It Now 6h 33m
Live At The Apollo with David Ruffin & Eddie Kendrick Daryl Hall & USD $14.17 Buy It Now 6h 38m
"Sweethearts of The Apollo" Patti Labelle & The Bluebells; 2003 CD USD $5.95 Buy It Now 6h 51m
THIN LIZZY Used Original Vintage Ticket Stub Coventry Apollo 19th Feb 1983 USD $12.87 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Coheed and Cambria : Good Apollo, Im Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Thro USD $3.22 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Daryl Hall & John Oates A Nite At The Apollo Live! (3755) RCA (1985) PT 49936 USD $9.92 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Our Journey To The Moon - Friendship 7 To Apollo 11 (1970s) 12" NASA Recordings USD $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Vocaltones "Three Kinds of People" Apollo 492 Doowop 45 Original USD $74.99 [0 bids]
Apollo Saturday Night Various Artists CD USD $16.00 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Apollo Four Forty Heart Go Boom CD Single CDS L@@K USD $1.49 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Stravinsky: Agon; Symphony in Three Movements; Apollo, New Music USD $14.17 Buy It Now 7h 43m
NEW Sweethearts of the Apollo (Audio CD) USD $19.41 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Apollo Four Forty - Krupa 5 Track CD Single USD $5.20 Buy It Now 8h 3m
The Best Of The Casanovas EXCLELLENT LP (Apollo AP 1004) USD $12.92 Buy It Now 8h 8m
Richard Hatch - From Apollo To Tom Zarek - Battlestar Galactica (NEW 2 x CD) USD $18.10 Buy It Now 8h 13m
James Blunt - Moon Landing ( Special Apollo Edition) (NEW CD+DVD) USD $16.81 Buy It Now 8h 16m
APOLLO 440_Astral America_used CD single CD-S_ships from AUSTRALIA! USD $7.48 Buy It Now 8h 33m
2xLP Apollo Four Forty Electro Glide In Blue Stealth Sonic Double LP Records USD $19.95 Buy It Now 8h 45m
REV. CAMPBELL 78 " We're Sailing On" Classic Black Gospel on Rare Apollo Label USD $9.95 [0 bids]
9h
Human League Gig List/ Flyer Manchester Apollo 1995 USD $7.75 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Human League A5 Concert Flyer Manchester Apollo 1995 USD $7.75 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Apollo 3157 Charlie Barnet DEEP PURPLE / JUBILEE JUMP 78 E- USD $6.45 Buy It Now 9h 15m
James Brown Live at the Apollo Theater JAPAN MINI LP CD UICY-9283 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 19m
The CELLOS You Took My Love/ Rang Tang Ding Dong 45 APOLLO 510-45 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 20m
Lucky Millinder - Apollo Jump (2-CD) - Rhythm & Blues USD $23.35 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Apollo 440 - Future's What It Used to Be [New CD] USD $14.40 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Lucky Millinder - Apollo Jump (2-CD) - Rhythm & Blues USD $29.50 Buy It Now 9h 34m
Apollo 440 - Future's What It Used to Be [New CD] USD $13.70 Buy It Now 9h 42m
Mozart Apollo et Hyacinthus Hager PHILIPS GERMANY SEALED USD $99.00 Buy It Now 9h 45m
Don Quixote And Other Suites & Concertos - Apollo's Fire / S (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.03 Buy It Now 9h 52m
LIONEL HAMPTON ~ 3 X VINYL LP 'S " HERE'S GATES / COBB'S IDEA / 1954 APOLLO " USD $6.46 Buy It Now 10h
SCORPIONS TICKET FROM MANCHESTER APOLLO 2007 USD $4.53 Buy It Now 10h 2m
NORTHERN SOUL 45 BOBBY MILLER APOLLO PROMO THE WONDER OF IT ALL THAT MATTERS USD $6.00 Buy It Now 10h 17m
Apollo Sunshine - Katonah [New CD] Ltd Ed, Enhanced, Reissue USD $10.48 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Apollo's Fire / Sorr - Don Quixote And Other Suites & Concertos [New CD] USD $15.03 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Katonah - Apollo Sunshine (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.48 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Scorpions live concert Manchester Apollo 4th April 1982 A4 size poster print USD $19.39 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Mahalia Jackson-In The Upper Room LP~Original U.S.1957 Apollo~Nice Copy~EX USD $9.99 [0 bids]
APRIL WINE MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET JAN 21 1981 UK USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h
SAMMY HAGAR MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET STUB FEB 18 1980 UK USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h
CHRIS DE BURGH MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET STUB SEPT 22 1986 UK USD $7.12 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Scorpions live concert Manchester Apollo 5th April 1982 A4 size poster print USD $19.39 Buy It Now 11h 3m
BLACKFOOT MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET APRIL 7 1982 UK USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h 3m
MSG MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET SEPT 6 1981 UK USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h 3m
STEVE VAI MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET STUB MARCH 10 2000 UK USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h 4m
MSG MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET DEC 12 1982 UK USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h 4m
WASP MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET STUB NOV 8 1986 - USD $8.41 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Apollo Sunshine - Katonah [New CD] Ltd Ed, Enhanced, Reissue USD $10.80 Buy It Now 11h 14m
APOLLO'S FIRE - SACRUM MYSTERIUM 2 CD NEW+ TRADITIONAL USD $23.35 Buy It Now 11h 28m
APOLLO 13 cd MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE - VARIOUS ARTISTS - 15 TRACKS USD $2.50 Buy It Now 11h 29m
1972 ON THE MOON WITH APOLLO 16 YORKSHIRE 27020 USD $5.99 [0 bids]
BEAR'S DEN Manchester o2 Apollo - 30th March 2017 PHOTO Print POSTER Red Earth 2 USD $4.52 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BEAR'S DEN Manchester o2 Apollo - 30th March 2017 PHOTO Print POSTER Red Earth 2 USD $6.46 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BEAR'S DEN Manchester o2 Apollo - 30th March 2017 PHOTO Print POSTER Red Earth 2 USD $19.39 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BEAR'S DEN London Eventim Apollo - 5th April 2017 PHOTO Print POSTER Red Earth 3 USD $4.52 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BEAR'S DEN London Eventim Apollo - 5th April 2017 PHOTO Print POSTER Red Earth 3 USD $6.46 Buy It Now 11h 49m
BEAR'S DEN London Eventim Apollo - 5th April 2017 PHOTO Print POSTER Red Earth 3 USD $19.39 Buy It Now 11h 49m
SHIRLEY BASSEY PROGRAMME + 2 TICKETS - APOLLO MANCHESTER - 11TH MAY 1991 USD $12.94 Buy It Now 11h 52m
THE KEYNOTES REALLY WISH YOU WERE HERE/BYE BYE BABY APOLLO 493 PROMO USD $89.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
Hall & Oats Live At The Apollo (LP, 1985, RCA Records) New Sealed Unopen USD $12.00 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One: FFTTEOM USD $99.00 [0 bids]
USD $140.00 Buy It Now
Apollo Chamber Ensemble - Relax & De-Stress [New CD] USD $13.97 Buy It Now 12h 29m
HEAR IT ROCK SOUL Guy Apollo HIBACK 106 Toy Soldier and Big Man in Town USD $4.50 Buy It Now 12h 30m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - " HEART GO BOOM" CD SINGLE - UNUSED USD $0.65 [0 bids]
Trophies Instrumentals - Apollo Brown (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $17.63 Buy It Now 12h 36m
Apollo's Fire / Sorr - Don Quixote And Other Suites & Concertos [New CD] USD $13.14 Buy It Now 12h 47m
Apollo Self Title In Shrink Rap Vinyl N/M LP Lot HB USD $5.99 Buy It Now 12h 47m
Singapore Lisa Wong And The Apollo Chinese LP 12" USD $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 57m
NASA-The Spirit Of Apollo CD Factory Sealed! Ships in 24 hours! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Apollo Chamber Ensemble - Relax & De-Stress [New CD] USD $14.24 Buy It Now 13h 11m
APOLLO 440 - ASTRAL AMERICA - 4 TRACK DANCE CD SINGLE USD $2.57 Buy It Now 13h 24m
FOOTSTEPS ON THE MOON LP THE EPIC FLIGHT OF APOLLO 11 JULY 16 TO JULY 24, 1969 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 26m
ELECTRO/ APOLLO 17, UP TOWN ROCK - SIR HARRY (73 REGGAE ROCKERS 7") USD $9.99 [0 bids]
MARC ALMOND - LIVE AT BARCELONA APOLLO 2007 - CD & DVD USD $34.93 [6 bids]
APOLLO FOUR FORTY 440 w/ ALCATRAZ Krupa 5 TRX w/ 3 RARE REMIXES USD $23.74 Buy It Now 14h 49m
PHILIPS - Mozart: Apollo et Hyacinthus (2CD 1991) Leopold Hager Johnson Auger USD $15.51 Buy It Now 14h 54m
AVARICE IN AUDIO-APOLLO & DIONYSUS (LTD) CD NEW USD $30.11 Buy It Now 14h 57m
AVARICE IN AUDIO-APOLLO & DIONYSUS CD NEW USD $16.16 Buy It Now 14h 58m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"