APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

James Brown - Live At The Apollo Coloured VINYL LP 180g DOS651MB USD $22.38 Buy It Now 1h 38m
SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE APOLLO LP, BEN E KING,  OTIS REDDING USD $28.97 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Apollo Four Forty ' Krupa ' CD single /EP slipcase, 1996 Sony (Sunkist ad music) USD $2.62 Buy It Now 1h 40m
COHEED & CAMBRIA - GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV - CD USD $2.95 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants (CD, Mar-1992, Elektra (Label)) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Apollo Trio - Apollo Trio Complete Dvorak Piano Trios (CD Used Like New) USD $16.69 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Sons Of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony (NEW 2x12" VINYL) USD $30.28 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Jean Michel Jarre & Apollo Four Forty - Rendez-Vous 98 - CD Single - 2003 USD $14.43 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Apollo and Hyacinthus, KV 38 (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $16.86 Buy It Now 2h 30m
KILLING JOKE live - 2010 Hammersmith Apollo UK 16-10-2010 3CD USD $11.84 Buy It Now 2h 57m
The Spirit of Apollo by N.A.S.A. (US) (CD, Feb-2009, Anti-) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Jimmy McGriff "At The Apollo" SUE RECORDS LP 1017 USD $1.99 [0 bids]
BIOSPHERE - MICROGRAVITY (1991) 1992 APOLLO/R&S 3rd EDITION W/BARCODE BELGIUM CD USD $15.80 Buy It Now 3h 38m
?FS?N.A.S.A.?THE SPIRIT OF APOLLO+1?JAPAN MEGA RARE SAMPLE CD NEW?EICP-1112 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
HALL AND OATES AT THE APOLLO/BIG BAM BOOM VINYL ALBUMS X 2 USD $19.74 Buy It Now 3h 55m
RARE! Apollo Brown & Ras Kass Blasphemy 2xLP Splatter Color Vinyl OOP SEALED USD $44.95 Buy It Now 4h
Apollo Four Forty Stop The Rock 2LP Sony SSR10 EX/VG 1999 double LP, Stop The Ro USD $19.76 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Events That Changed the World 4 Disc CD Set. JFK Assassination, Apollo 13 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 34m
78RPM Apollo 1038 Loumell Morgan, Darktown Strutters Ball, Ol' Man River Poor USD $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Live at the Apollo, James Brown Recorded 1967 King Records / Polygram 1987 CD USD $24.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Apollo Horticulture UV400 Fit Wear Cover Over Prescription Glasses Wearer Indoor USD $21.97 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Robert Palmer - Live at the Apollo [New CD] Italy - Import USD $15.47 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Apollo 440 - Charlies Angels 2000 White Label 12" USD $1.30 Buy It Now 5h 28m
KEYNOTES - Apollo 484 - A Star / I Don't Know - 1955 DOO-WOP 45 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 34m
LOU BENNETT TRIO :If I Had You / Moon Dog 10" x 78 Apollo 818 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 35m
APOLLO 8 MAN'S FIRST JOURNEY TO THE MOON LP GATEFOLD 1969 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - LOST IN SPACE - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.25 Buy It Now 5h 49m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - (DONT FEAR) THE REAPER - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.25 Buy It Now 5h 49m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - STOP THE ROCK - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.25 Buy It Now 5h 49m
R & B 45 RIVALS DON'T SAY YOU'RE SORRY ON APOLLO STRONG VG REPRO USD $11.50 Buy It Now 5h 54m
R & B 45 THE ROMEOS I BEG YOU PLEASE ON APOLLO STRONG VG REPRO USD $8.50 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Apollo Brown - Trophies Instrumentals [New Vinyl] USD $19.80 Buy It Now 6h 10m
GINA G -Fresh!- 5 track CD Single + Poster Apollo 440 Remixes USD $3.46 Buy It Now 6h 32m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - RAW POWER - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.25 Buy It Now 6h 38m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - KRUPA - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.25 Buy It Now 6h 38m
VARIOUS: Apollo Saturday Night LP (S. Africa Mono minor tear obc, lamination bu USD $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 48m
Zucchero-Hammersmith Apollo 1993-Original advert framed & mounted USD $19.74 Buy It Now 6h 50m
B.B. KING 4 CD Collection Deuces Wild, Live at the Apollo, The Collection... USD $5.95 Buy It Now 7h 4m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1" PA NEW (CD, 2005) USD $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 19m
RARE DOO WOP 45 THE KEYNOTES ONE LITTLE KISS ON APOLLO VG/VG- ORIGINAL 1ST PRESS USD $56.50 Buy It Now 7h 20m
NEW She Has No Strings Apollo (Audio CD) USD $23.54 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Apollo Four Forty - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub (1997 CD Single) USD $1.98 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Lot of 9~James Brown~CD~Live At the Apollo+ USD $45.00 Buy It Now 8h 12m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Lost In Space (UK 3 Track CD Single Pt 1) USD $0.65 [0 bids]
45 ! APOLLO 100 / DEE CLARK RIPETE SAMPLER JOY / SHOOK UP OVER YOU EX COPY USD $7.50 Buy It Now 8h 28m
SIDA - Apollo - Vinyl (7") USD $9.76 Buy It Now 8h 46m
RARE R&B 45 Earl Bostic Gotham 7248 Apollo Theatre Jump and The Man I Love USD $36.00 Buy It Now 8h 47m
JACK DEE LIVE AT THE APOLLO 2002 - BRILL FOR LISTENING IN THE CAR! USD $1.65 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Strauss (Apollo Classics), Strauss, Very Good Import USD $2.30 Buy It Now 9h
Apollo 13: Music From The Motion Picture MUSIC CD USD $6.91 Buy It Now 9h
New: JAMES BROWN-Live at the Apollo 1967 CASSETTE USD $10.43 Buy It Now 9h 2m
LIVE AT THE APOLLO by B.B. KING (CD, 1991, GRP) USD $6.94 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Patti LaBelle & The Bluebells At The Apollo LP UPF-129 (NM Vinyl) USD $8.00 Buy It Now 9h 31m
HALL & OATES - Live At Apollo With David Ruffin & E - CD - Live - **SEALED/NEW** USD $31.95 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Apollo Four Forty - Lost In Space CD 1998 USD $1.96 [0 bids]
Ensemble Baroque De Nice : Apollo & Hyacinthus CD USD $4.94 Buy It Now 9h 46m
VINTAGE 1962 "APOLLO II" LUNAR LANDING RECORD - 33RPM - MAP- NR- Free Shipping USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 49m
FLIGHT OF APOLLO 11 - ROSTAN LP SRC-5117 SPOKANE WASHINGTON USD $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 50m
45bs-R&B vocal group- APOLLO 458-The 5 Royales USD $30.00 Buy It Now 9h 55m
45bs-R&B - APOLLO 495-Chuck Edwards USD $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 55m
REKS The Greatest X 2x LP NEW VINYL Brick Apollo Brown Alchemist Evidence Guilty USD $30.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
FRANK SAUNDERS APOLLO 78 RPM RECORD 165 IRISH FOLK BALLAD USD $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Mahalia Jackson - Salvation is Free / Last Mile RARE gospel soul 45 (Apollo) VG USD $17.96 Buy It Now 10h 39m
Apollo 440 - Electro Glide In Blue (1997) USD $3.95 Buy It Now 10h 43m
78rpm [1947 E+ R&B] "THAT OLD GANG OF MINE" The Four Vagabonds APOLLO #1076 USD $12.50 Buy It Now 10h 45m
78 RPM Dean martin APOLLO 1088 Oh Marie / Walkin My Baby 1947 V+ USD $9.99 [2 bids]
Man On The Moon The flight of Apollo 11 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 48m
ALISON KRAUSS & UNION STATION Used Ticket 1996 Manchester Labatts Apollo USD $1.30 [0 bids]
Brown, James-Live: At The Apollo 1962 (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $16.77 Buy It Now 11h
The Chesters (Little Anthony), The Fires Burn No More, Apollo # 521, vg+++ USD $7.00 [1 bids]
ROBERTO ROENA Y SU APOLLO SAUND "Parece mentira" MADE IN PERU, SALSA, 7" (VG+) USD $11.99 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Travis Blaque Feat. Apollo , Dominant G & EV.ON Who R U? 12" Unique 2006 USD $6.57 Buy It Now 11h 3m
MYNC Project Something On Your Mind CDr Apollo Recordings 2006 USD $5.25 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Apollo Four Forty - Gettin High on Your Own Supply CD 1999 USD $5.25 [0 bids]
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - LOST IN SPACE, 3 TRACKS, 1998 (STEALTH SONIC CASSETTE) USD $1.84 [0 bids]
Apollo Four Forty Krupa USD $1.30 [0 bids]
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Live At The Apollo - Japan Mini LP CD - BVCM-37297 - USD $35.55 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Lot of three APOLLO 11 LUNAR LANDING (MAN ON THE MOON) Met Life 7" 33rpm/45rpm USD $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 44m
JAMES BROWN (R&B) - BEST OF LIVE AT THE APOLLO: 50TH ANNIVERSARY NEW CD USD $7.65 Buy It Now 11h 49m
APOLLO 440 - Krupa (12" 1996) Alcatraz Narcotic Thrust Serotina USD $3.94 [0 bids]
DJ Apollo The Bully 12" Head In The Clouds 1997 USD $5.27 Buy It Now 12h 2m
The Band Apollo - Soldier or a Spy [New CD] USD $15.98 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Dirty Three - She Has No Strings Apollo (CD Used Like New) USD $13.40 Buy It Now 12h 6m
Brian Eno - Apollo [New CD] UK - Import USD $6.64 Buy It Now 12h 11m
Apollo (Atmospheres & Soundtracks, 1989) USD $3.69 [0 bids]
Apollo Brown - Trophies Instrumentals [New Vinyl] USD $24.68 Buy It Now 12h 28m
Unknown Artist : Apollo Classics ~ Vivaldi (2) CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Blows For 1300 - Arnett Cobb Like New Jazz CD delmark Apollo Records - Near Mint USD $17.95 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Joe Bonamassa - Tour De Force - Hammersmith Apollo NEW CD USD $13.05 Buy It Now 12h 53m
KRUPA: APOLLO FOUR FORTY (Single Cassette Tape) [Sunkist Advert] USD $1.25 [0 bids]
The 5 Royales Sing Baby Don't Do It LP Apollo R&B Doo Wop 1987 Comp. VG++/Mint- USD $15.00 Buy It Now 13h 22m
DANIELS SINGERS-I'm Leaning/Wade In The Water. Apollo 78 rpm.1953 USD $9.98 Buy It Now 13h 27m
APOLLO self titled the motown sound CASSETTE SEALED g7-985HC USD $27.50 Buy It Now 13h 28m
Live at the Apollo by B.B. King (CD, Apr-1991, GRP (USA)) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 13h 34m
Apollo - Master Pieces (Mega M51-5005) (featuring Tom Parker) ('72) ("nude" FC) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 37m
FREE UK SHIP Apollo Four Forty Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub (@440 Radio Edit) UK CDs USD $3.94 Buy It Now 13h 49m
N.A.S.A. - Spirit Of Apollo (CD Used Like New) USD $12.47 Buy It Now 14h 7m
45tk-R&B vocal group-APOLLO 540-Armonda & the Jays USD $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 17m
45tk-Rockabilly-APOLLO 530-Mel Albert USD $30.00 Buy It Now 14h 19m
45tk-R&B-APOLLO 527-Solomon Burke USD $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 20m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"