APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

D'ANGELO Black Messiah PHOTO Print POSTER London Hammersmith Apollo Voodoo 001 USD $4.63 Buy It Now 1h 49m
D'ANGELO Black Messiah PHOTO Print POSTER London Hammersmith Apollo Voodoo 001 USD $6.63 Buy It Now 1h 49m
D'ANGELO Black Messiah PHOTO Print POSTER London Hammersmith Apollo Voodoo 001 USD $19.90 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Rabinovich; Apollo Ensemble-Symphonies Nos. 6, 7 & 8 CD NEW USD $15.66 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Apollo Ensemble-Suites CD NEW USD $15.66 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Apollo`S Fire/J Sorrell-Bach: St. John Passion CD NEW USD $24.28 Buy It Now 2h 4m
LA FETS & KITTY / CHRISTMAS LETTER / APOLLO / DOO WOP 70'S ISSUE 45 NM USD $27.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Apollo Four Forty ?- Gettin' High On Your Own Supply CD USD $2.64 [0 bids]
THE CHALLENGED MEN APOLLO 11 VOICES WITH OTHER CHALLENGES 1970 33 RPM LP NICE USD $14.95 Buy It Now 2h 23m
EDDIE DAVIS vg++ jazz bop 78 on APOLLO, PRE-WAR USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 58m
BRIAN ENO Apollo EDITIONS EG LP VG+ USD $21.05 [6 bids]
3h
James Brown Live at the Apollo, Vol. 2 [Deluxe Edition] USD $67.95 Buy It Now 3h
MILTON SPARKS w THE DELROYS 45 Time / Bermuda Shorts APOLLO label DOO WOP bb2204 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 7m
BONZO DOG BAND:Mr. Apollo 4:21-Ready-Mades 3:04-Germany 7" 69 Liberty 15201A PSL USD $98.98 Buy It Now 3h 15m
THE CELLOS 45 Rang Tang Ding Dong / You Took My Love APOLLO label DOO WOP bb2205 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 17m
T D - Manchester Apollo 1982 (tangerine dream) double album USD $10.56 [0 bids]
CLASSICAL GAS APOLLO 100 LP ON MFP USD $7.95 [0 bids]
VINCE APOLLO "I BEAR WITNESS" STORMING NORTHERN SOUL CLASSIC LISTEN! USD $13.27 Buy It Now 3h 53m
DOO WOP GROUP 78 RPM - THE "5" ROYALES - APOLLO 452 - "I DO" + "GOOD THINGS" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 59m
James Brown LIVE AT THE APOLLO VOLUME II Gatefold POLYDOR New Sealed Vinyl 2 LP USD $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 20m
THE CHERUBS A Man of Importance w/ Kiss all Moring APOLLO VERSION 7 INCH VINYL USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 28m
BRIAN ENO - APOLLO: ATMOSPHERES & SOUNDTRACKS NEW CD USD $7.58 Buy It Now 4h 37m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Aint talkin bout dun w/ RARE 440 EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single 1997 USD $23.49 Buy It Now 4h 38m
DISCLOSURE...APOLLO...12'' SINGLE SIDED...RSD...LIMITED EDITION...NEW...SEALED! USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Apollo Sunshine - Shall Noise Upon (Digipak) (CD, 2008, Headless Heroes) Album USD $8.60 Buy It Now 4h 41m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV 2 VINYL LP NEW+ USD $32.50 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Brian Eno Apollo CD USD $6.64 [0 bids]
UFO Concert Ticket Stub 1983 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.63 Buy It Now 4h 59m
MSG MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP Concert Ticket Stub 1982 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.63 Buy It Now 4h 59m
DEF LEPPARD Concert Ticket Stub 1983 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.63 Buy It Now 5h
HALL & OATES-LIVE AT APOLLO W/RUFFIN & KENDRICK-VICTOR PCD1-7035 JAPAN MINT CD USD $15.98 Buy It Now 5h
* THE 4 VAGABONDS GATEFOLD LP APOLLO / Yesterday's Memories RARE DOO-WOP USD $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 3m
JAZZ 78RPM RECORD-LUIS RUSSELL-APOLLO 1071 USD $100.00 Buy It Now 5h 28m
JACK DEE LIVE AT THE APOLLO 2002 - BRILL FOR LISTENING IN THE CAR! USD $1.66 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Apollo 440 Lost In Space (Theme) 12" Stealth Sonic 1998 USD $10.61 Buy It Now 5h 34m
The Complete Dvor k Piano Trios (CD, Feb-2017, Apollo Trio) USD $13.90 Buy It Now 5h 41m
KIRSTY MacCOLL Angel 5TRX w/ RARE MIXES w/ APOLLO 440 CD Single 1993 USA seller USD $23.74 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Best of Apollo Records Vol 2 LP M NOS blue wax Doo-Wop R&B Dovers Romeos Larks + USD $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Best of Apollo Records LP M NOS blue wax Doo-Wop R&B Hearts Opals Larks Jacks ++ USD $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 52m
PRINCE AUTISM ROCKS TRIBUTE MIX CD HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2016 USD $33.18 Buy It Now 5h 59m
JUDAS PRIEST Epitaph 2012 UK Tour London Hammsmith Apollo PHOTO Print Poster 002 USD $4.63 Buy It Now 6h 20m
JUDAS PRIEST Epitaph 2012 UK Tour London Hammsmith Apollo PHOTO Print Poster 002 USD $6.63 Buy It Now 6h 20m
JUDAS PRIEST Epitaph 2012 UK Tour London Hammsmith Apollo PHOTO Print Poster 002 USD $19.90 Buy It Now 6h 20m
MAHALIA JACKSON in the upper room with LP VG Apollo LP 474 Mono USA 1957 USD $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Daryl Hall & John Oates Live at the Apollo 1985 VHS w/ Ruffin & Kendrick New USD $16.57 Buy It Now 6h 24m
KELLY CLARKSON:::CONCERT TICKET:::FEBRUARY 2006::HAMMERSMITH APOLLO, LONDON USD $3.97 [0 bids]
Various ?- Yesterdays Apollo - Condition (LP/Sleeve): EX/VG+ USD $7.95 Buy It Now 6h 35m
They Might Be Giants- Apollo 18 (1992, Electra) USD $3.97 [0 bids]
APOLLO 440 - Krupa (12" 1996) Alcatraz Narcotic Thrust Serotina USD $3.97 [0 bids]
2 CDS ANASTACIA - LIVE AT THE EVENTIM APOLLO HAMMERSMITH 2017 + MANCHESTER USD $85.00 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Apollo's Fire Noels & Carols From The Olde World CD Baroque Christmas New Sealed USD $34.95 Buy It Now 6h 57m
DIRTY THREE - SHE HAS NO STRINGS APOLLO USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.70 Buy It Now 7h 5m
HANDEL: APOLLO E DAFNE & SILETE VENTI USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.89 Buy It Now 7h 6m
HALL AND OATS LIVE AT THE APOLLO VINYL LP RECORD 12" USD $11.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
HANDEL: APOLLO E DAFNE; CRUDEL TIRANNO AMOR USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.55 Buy It Now 7h 7m
BERNHARD LEWKOVITCH: APOLLO'S ART USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $9.64 Buy It Now 7h 17m
ROBERT PALMER - LIVE AT THE APOLLO USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $11.21 Buy It Now 7h 19m
GOLDEN - APOLLO STARS * USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $14.58 Buy It Now 7h 19m
VOCAL GROUP 78 RPM - THE FOUR VAGABONDS - APOLLO 1076 - "HEART OF MY HEART" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 20m
MOZART: APOLLO ET HYACINTHUS / MATT, MORVAI, ET AL USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.52 Buy It Now 7h 20m
APOLLO SUNSHINE - APOLLO SUNSHINE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.56 Buy It Now 7h 21m
LEVEL 42 - LIVE AT THE APOLLO 2003 USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $7.93 Buy It Now 7h 23m
STRAVINSKY: AGON; SYMPHONY IN THREE MOVEMENTS; APOLLO USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.11 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Live at the Apollo 1995 1995 by Brown, James . EXLIBRARY USD $5.24 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Mott the Hoople-Live at HMV Hammersmith Apollo (*Used-3-CD Set, 2010, Ais) USD $16.87 Buy It Now 7h 39m
B.B. KING - LIVE AT THE APOLLO USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $12.86 Buy It Now 7h 44m
APOLLO SAXOPHONE QUARTET - FIRST & FOREMOST USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.13 Buy It Now 7h 44m
HANDEL: APOLLO E DAFNE; DAFNE SUITES; CONCERTO GROSSO USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.11 Buy It Now 7h 45m
Luis Russell Orch APOLLO 1022 1280 Jive / I've Got A Gal USD $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 53m
JAMES APOLLO - 'TIL YOUR FEET BLEED [SLIPCASE] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $13.11 Buy It Now 7h 53m
JAMES BROWN -King 1022- Live at the Apollo V.II- 2-LP's USD $43.00 Buy It Now 8h
B.J. COLE (BRIAN JOHN "B. J." COLE)/ICEBREAKER - APOLLO * USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.11 Buy It Now 8h 7m
JAMES APOLLO - BORN LUCKY USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $10.28 Buy It Now 8h 7m
HANDEL: APOLLO E DAFNE; THE ALCHYMIST USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $5.52 Buy It Now 8h 8m
JAMES BROWN (GODFATHER OF SOUL) - BEST OF LIVE AT THE APOLLO USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $35.19 Buy It Now 8h 16m
STATUS QUO (UK) - THE FRANTIC FOUR REUNION 2013: LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO USED USD $11.14 Buy It Now 8h 19m
Apollo 440 - Rumble EP 12" - SSX T1 - VG USD $9.28 Buy It Now 8h 27m
CLYDE MCPHATTER: Live At The Apollo LP (small tag on cover, some cover wear) USD $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 28m
LEWIS SPRATLAN: APOLLO & DAPHNE VARIATIONS USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.97 Buy It Now 8h 29m
APOLLO GHOSTS - LANDMARK [DIGIPAK] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $13.37 Buy It Now 8h 30m
JOE BONAMASSA - TOUR DE FORCE: LIVE IN LONDON - HAMMERSMITH APOLLO [VIDEO] USED USD $17.76 Buy It Now 8h 30m
PAOLO APOLLO NEGRI - HELLO WORLD USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $11.04 Buy It Now 8h 33m
(HL56) Apollo Four Forty, Lost In Space - 1998 CD USD $3.25 Buy It Now 8h 33m
MOZART: LE NOZZE DI FIGARO; APOLLO ET HYACINTHUS (BOX SET) USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $19.17 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Handel: Apollo e Dafne; Telemann: Ino (CD, Nov-1990, Teldec (USA)) USD $4.84 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Robert Palmer - Live at the Apollo [New CD] Italy - Import USD $7.28 Buy It Now 8h 36m
Apollo 13 - Various Artists (CD Used Very Good) Mavericks/WHO/Hendrix/William USD $7.88 Buy It Now 8h 42m
DIRTY THREE - SHE HAS NO STRINGS APOLLO NEW CD USD $16.12 Buy It Now 8h 58m
HANDEL: APOLLO E DAFNE; THE ALCHEMIST NEW CD USD $15.64 Buy It Now 9h 11m
APOLLO NOVE - RES INEXPLICATA VOLANS NEW CD USD $5.64 Buy It Now 9h 11m
ROBERT PALMER - LIVE AT THE APOLLO NEW CD USD $13.36 Buy It Now 9h 11m
GOLDEN - APOLLO STARS * NEW CD USD $17.91 Buy It Now 9h 12m
MOZART: APOLLO ET HYACINTHUS / MATT, MORVAI, ET AL NEW CD USD $9.77 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Dirty Three She Has No Strings Apollo Vinyl LP Record & MP3! cat power nick cave USD $27.99 Buy It Now 9h 14m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"