APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 2 RSD Purple 2LP USD $24.47 Buy It Now 2h 33m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 1 RSD White 2LP USD $24.47 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Jethro Tull live Apollo Theatre, Glasgow 8th of April 1980 A4 size poster print USD $19.32 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Jethro Tull live concert Apollo Theatre Glasgow 1 September 1984 A4 poster print USD $19.32 Buy It Now 3h
Connie Stevens "Apollo" Warner Brothers Demo 45 USD $12.89 Buy It Now 3h 3m
APOLLO 100 " JOY " EX+ COND.IN PIC SL. USD $1.28 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Apollo Symphony Orchestra-Ouvertures Royales / Royal Overtures CD NEW USD $14.01 Buy It Now 3h 26m
U.F.O Used Original Ticket Stub 5th December 1980 Manchester Apollo UFO USD $6.43 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Get Down With James Brown Live At The Apollo Vol.4 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD USD $30.37 Buy It Now 4h 7m
DIO LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993 JAPAN DVD + 2CD USD $82.55 Buy It Now 4h 7m
JAMES BROWN Live At The Apollo Vol.2 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD USD $30.62 Buy It Now 4h 7m
JAMES BROWN Live At The Apollo with bonus tracks JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD USD $32.13 Buy It Now 4h 7m
APOLLO WATERDEVILS with Bonus Track JAPAN CD USD $32.84 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Various-Apollo Et Hyacinthus CD NEW USD $11.76 Buy It Now 4h 47m
APOLLO 44O - LIQUID COOL 12" SINGLE USD $1.29 Buy It Now 4h 52m
NADINE SHAH Fast Food LP NEW VINYL Apollo PJ Harvey USD $27.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
James Brown Live At The Apollo reissue vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $45.92 Buy It Now 5h 5m
V/A ?- Stars Of The Apollo Theatre (LP) (EX-/VG) USD $20.61 Buy It Now 5h 13m
28 Twenty Eight Days Vs Apollo 440 Say What ? 5 Track CD EP Single - Like New USD $7.87 Buy It Now 5h 25m
VINCE APOLLO "I BEAR WITNESS" STORMING NORTHERN SOUL CLASSIC LISTEN! USD $12.88 Buy It Now 6h 10m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY-Gettin` High On Your Own Supply CD NEW USD $14.34 Buy It Now 6h 11m
CAT ANDERSON Cat's Boogie/For Jumper's Only APOLLO 774 EE- 78RPM HEAR USD $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 40m
CAT ANDERSON I Gotta Go Baby/Swingin' The Cat APOLLO 771 E- 78RPM HEAR USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 40m
EARL BOSTIC Apollo Theatre Jump/The Man I Love GOTHAM 248 E- 78RPM HEAR USD $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Level 42 Live At The Apollo New CD USD $3.22 [0 bids]
Apollo Four Forty / 440 - Carrera Rapida 2 x CD singles Ridge Racer USD $2.56 [0 bids]
THE STARS OF APOLLO THEATRE SEALED DOUBLE CASSETTE OUT OF PRINT 1993 RELEASE USD $50.99 Buy It Now 8h 38m
SLADE CONCERT TICKET MANCHESTER APOLLO 1996 USD $5.41 [2 bids]
ALICE COOPER CONCERT TICKET MANCHESTER APOLLO 2000 USD $3.87 [0 bids]
STRAVINSKY Orpheus Apollo STRAVINSKY 1964 Columbia MS-6646 $4 Shipping Worldwide USD $17.00 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Jumpin' at Apollo by Illinois Jacquet (CD, Apr-2002, Delmark (Label)) Like New USD $8.88 Buy It Now 10h 14m
1951 Mahalia Jackson It is no secret His eye is on the sparrow Apollo 246 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 10h 27m
Murphy Sisters Mahzel You're breaking in a new Heart Apollo 1059 NM USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 27m
1952 Mahalia Jackson God spoke to me / Said He would Apollo 269 USD $16.00 Buy It Now 10h 28m
Ray Eberle It's a Wonderful Night / More then you know Apollo 1014 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Man concert ticket stub 1974 Glasgow Apollo USD $2.84 [2 bids]
Lynyrd Skynyrd concert ticket stub 1975 Glasgow Apollo USD $13.53 [4 bids]
Caravan concert ticket stub 1975 Glasgow Apollo USD $2.56 [1 bids]
Caravan concert ticket stub 1974 Glasgow Apollo USD $1.28 [1 bids]
Poco concert ticket stub 1976 Glasgow Apollo USD $1.28 [0 bids]
FOUR VAGABONDS-HEART OF MY HEART-THAT OLD GANG OF MINE - APOLLO-1076 - (124) USD $35.00 Buy It Now 10h 42m
BOOZOO BAJOU Jan Meyen Ep 12" NEW VINYL Apollo R&S USD $13.99 Buy It Now 11h 15m
APOLLO 100 (2LP) SAME [RARE NL 1973 OMEGA VINYL GATEFOLD "TOM PARKER"]NM USD $22.00 Buy It Now 11h 40m
BOB DYLAN "Second HMV Hammersmith Apollo" ORIGINAL CRYSTAL CAT rare- read more USD $32.50 [0 bids]
BOB DYLAN "First HMV Hammersmith Apollo" ORIGINAL CRYSTAL CAT rare- read more USD $32.50 [0 bids]
NASA Apollo 11 Sounds The People Our Journey to the Moon Oreco Records SEALED USD $26.57 Buy It Now 11h 41m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - GETTIN' HIGH ON YOUR OWN SUPPLY (new sealed audio cassette) USD $5.95 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Coheed and Cambria IV good apollo I'm burning star volume one - CD Compact Disc USD $8.86 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Hall and Oates -(1985) Vinyl LP Apollo Sealed Never Been Played USD $10.00 [0 bids]
(-0-) Adam Ant Apollo 9 7" CBS A4719 EX/EX 1984 picture sleeve (-0-) USD $6.38 Buy It Now 12h 18m
James Brown And The Famous Flames Best Of Live At The Apollo Japan SHM-CD NM USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Little Anthony..The Fires Burn No More..Rockin Guitar Apollo DJ Promo 45 rpm '61 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
T-Polar- Apollo EP 12" NM/VG+ USD $3.85 [0 bids]
60's Singapore Lan Yee & The Apollo Band Chinese 7" CEP2808 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Mega Rare 70's Taiwan Teresa Teng & Apollo Chinese Life Hong Kong 7" CEP2906 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Apollo 100 ?- Joy / Tamara Young Blood ?- YB-102042 UK Vinyl 7" Single 45 USD $7.67 [0 bids]
MELODY MASTERS~MY BABY~WIG BLUES~RARE APOLLO 379~~ 78 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 13h 33m
BOBBY SMITH~DASH HOUND BOOGIE~MEGA RARE ~PROMO~CINDER BOTTOM~APOLLO 807 ~ 78 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 34m
The Apollo Affair-Fever CD NEW USD $6.68 Buy It Now 13h 38m
Live at the Apollo - Daryl Hall & John Oates - RCA AFL1-7035 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 44m
Handel - feat. Munich Symphony Orchestra CD Album Apollo Classics USD $7.72 Buy It Now 13h 45m
the LARKS When I Leave These Prison Walls LP Apollo R&B #e9 USD $20.00 [0 bids]
APOLLO presents HOUSE OF VIRGINISM Exclusive 12" vinyl UK 1995 Logic plays EX! USD $3.54 Buy It Now 14h 11m
Nicolas Roussakis: Hymn to Apollo; Ephemeris (CD 1994) * i combine shipping * NM USD $1.97 Buy It Now 14h 16m
, APOLLO ET HYACINTHUS KV 38, Excellent USD $50.77 Buy It Now 14h 19m
Mahalia Jackson 1959 Apollo Hi-Fidelity 33RPM LP Just As I Am cLEAn! USD $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 20m
DINAH WASHINGTON-RICH MAN'S BLUES/WALKING BLUES-APOLLO 374-BLUES 78 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 21m
BEN HARPER & THE BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA - Live At The Apollo - 2005 CD Album USD $5.14 [0 bids]
Daryl Hall & John Oates Live At The Apollo Vinyl LP Record Album USD $21.99 Buy It Now 14h 32m
MONO DOO WOP GROUP LP - THE 5 ROYALES - APOLLO 488 - "THE ROCKIN' 5 ROYALES" USD $850.00 Buy It Now 14h 45m
BROWN,JAMES-LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1995 CD NEW USD $7.80 Buy It Now 14h 48m
Live at the Apollo by B.B. King (CD, Apr-1991, GRP (USA)) USD $3.44 Buy It Now 14h 59m
JAMES BROWN - Live At The Apollo, 1962 - CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 15h 16m
BRIAN ENO Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks CD EG 53 1990 Ambient Prog Roger Eno USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.49 Buy It Now
Brian Eno - Apollo (Atmospheres & Soundtracks) Virgin CD Inc. An Ending (Ascent) USD $3.85 [1 bids]
Apollo Sessions 2 USD $14.50 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Infernal ?- From Paris To Berlin Cat No. APOLLO102CDX Enhanced CD Single CD2 USD $1.28 [0 bids]
JEAN MICHEL JARRE lot 2x PROMO 12" SINGLES oxygene FOURTH RENDEZ VOUS apollo 440 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 15h 46m
KRUPA: APOLLO FOUR FORTY (Single Cassette Tape) [Sunkist Advert] USD $1.22 [0 bids]
Apollo100 - Rhapsody In Rock LP - SYB 3002 1st Press - VG USD $23.19 Buy It Now 16h 8m
78 -13BB - JAZZ - APOLLO 359 - GEORGE AULD AND ORCHESTRA USD $12.00 Buy It Now 16h 9m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO Orig 1985 SEALED LP MINT USD $33.00 Buy It Now 16h 35m
Apollo 440 - Astral America 12" - SSX T2 matrix A1/B1 - Ex USD $10.30 Buy It Now 16h 45m
Apollo 100 - Joy-Best Of Apollo 100 [CD New] USD $9.76 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Guilty Simpson, Apollo Brown & Guilty Simpson - Dice Game [New CD] USD $14.74 Buy It Now 17h 8m
They Might Be Giants Apollo 18 ltd vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $50.67 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Apollo & Hyacinthus K.38 (2CD), New Music USD $14.14 Buy It Now 17h 28m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness [ USD $11.12 Buy It Now 17h 30m
CLASSICAL GAS APOLLO 100 LP ON MFP USD $7.72 [0 bids]
Mozart Symphony #40 Apollo Classics (New CD) USD $6.00 Buy It Now 17h 43m
APOLLO 100 Minuet For A Funky Lady/Telstar 45 RPM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 17h 45m
Apollo 100 - Joy: Best of Apollo 100 [New CD] USD $11.07 Buy It Now 17h 46m
THE GREAT JAMES BROWN LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1995 PCCY-00824 JAPAN CD OBI W-9986 USD $2.99 [0 bids]
Illinois Jacquet Apollo 769 78 RPM Jacquet Mood/Robins Nest USD $8.99 Buy It Now 18h 3m
Joe Bonamassa Tour De Force-Hammersmith Apollo UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $53.84 Buy It Now 18h 6m
JAMES BROWN: Live At The Apollo, Vol. 2; Part 2 LP Sealed SOUL JAMES BROWN RHINO USD $18.00 Buy It Now 18h 29m
The Vocaltones : Spotlite on Apollo Records: Doo-Wop & Rh CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 31m
, APOLLO CD UK EG, Excellent USD $50.77 Buy It Now 18h 44m
28 DAYS & APOLLO 440: Say What?: CD NEW USD $15.80 Buy It Now 19h 10m
NASA: The Spirit Of Apollo: CD NEW USD $19.76 Buy It Now 19h 10m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"