APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Apollo Chamber Players-European Folkscapes CD NEW USD $15.27 Buy It Now 1h 40m
SIDA - Apollo - Vinyl (7") USD $13.35 Buy It Now 1h 42m
RARE R&B 45 Earl Bostic Gotham 7248 Apollo Theatre Jump and The Man I Love USD $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
ROBERTO ROENA y SU APOLLO SOUND: Tani USA Fania LATIN 45 NM-  USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Brown, James: Live at the Apollo 1967 Audio Cassette USD $10.43 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Golden - Apollo Stars (brand new CD 2002) USD $3.68 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Bucks Fizz, Unsold concert ticket from Glasgow Apollo. USD $5.00 [0 bids]
Mozart,Mozart,Bezzina,Mozart,Mozart,Bezzina,Ensemble Baroque De Nice : Apollo USD $4.94 Buy It Now 2h 42m
REKS The Greatest X 2x LP NEW VINYL Brick Apollo Brown Alchemist Evidence Guilt USD $30.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
FRANK SAUNDERS APOLLO 78 RPM RECORD 165 IRISH FOLK BALLAD USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 4m
HALL & OATS.LOT.5 VINYL LPS.X-STATIC,OOH YEAH,LIVE AT APOLLO,RED LEDGE,BIGGER USD $8.99 [0 bids]
USD $12.99 Buy It Now
STRAVINSKY Orpheus Apollo COLUMBIA LP MS 6646 NM 2 eye USD $11.96 Buy It Now 3h 48m
APOLLO self-titled MOTOWN G7-985R1 Mod SOUL/DISCO/Funk NM/NM- clean! 1979 LP USD $4.49 Buy It Now 3h 49m
APOLLO 13 ( Score) JAMES HORNER - Vocals by ANNIE LENNOX - Promo USD $21.22 [0 bids]
4h
NEW Apollo/Neva Argue [Vinyl] USD $4.53 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Stravinsky: Le Sacre du Printemps The Rite of Spring / Apollo USD $6.28 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Best of Live at the Apollo: 50th Anniversary New CD USD $7.36 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Patti Smith live concert Manchester Apollo 31st August 1978 A4 size poster print USD $18.72 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Apollo 100 ?- Joy / Tamara Young Blood ?- YB-102042 UK Vinyl 7" Single 45 USD $7.43 [0 bids]
PAOLO APOLLO NEGRI - A Bigger Tomorrow - CD ** Very Good condition ** USD $35.75 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Apollo - Brian Eno (2009, CD New) USD $6.52 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Live At The Apollo - Ben & Blind Boys Of Al Harper (2010, CD New) USD $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Future's What It Used To Be - Apollo 440 (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.54 Buy It Now 5h 10m
B.B. KING-LIVE AT THE APOLLO-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed C15 USD $14.50 Buy It Now 5h 10m
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993-JAPAN BLU-RAY VIDEO M65 USD $50.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Double Concerto Sinfonietta Young Apollo 2 Portrai - B. Britten (2011, CD New) USD $8.16 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Trophies Instrumentals - 2 DISC SET - Apollo Brown (2013, Vinyl New) USD $23.63 Buy It Now 5h 24m
USA 50s APOLLO DJ PROMO 45 MEL ALBERT NEVER LET ME GO USD $6.23 [0 bids]
* JAMES BROWN - LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1962 USD $3.50 Buy It Now 5h 37m
PATTI LABELLE & BLUEBELLS-LIVE AT APOLLO+EARLY HITS (2 DISCS) UK NEW SEALED CD USD $11.98 Buy It Now 5h 39m
NEW Live at the Apollo (Audio CD) USD $13.67 Buy It Now 5h 41m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO Orig 1985 SEALED LP MINT USD $38.00 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics ~ Vivaldi (2) CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Just For a Day: The Apollo Records Story 1949:1959 Various Artists Audio CD USD $14.40 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Electro Glide In Blue Apollo Four Forty Audio CD USD $14.29 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of... USD $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 16m
APOLLO self titled the motown sound CASSETTE SEALED g7-985HC USD $27.50 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Live at the Apollo by B.B. King (CD, Apr-1991, GRP (USA)) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
PAOLO "APOLLO" NEGRI-HELLO WORLD-JAPAN CD F04 USD $23.50 Buy It Now 6h 31m
Apollo MUSIC CD USD $5.23 Buy It Now 6h 32m
Apollo - Master Pieces (Mega M51-5005) (featuring Tom Parker) ('72) ("nude" FC) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 33m
V/A "Saxomaniac: Sax Sounds" Jazz LP Apollo 477 DG USD $7.99 [1 bids]
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993-JAPAN DVD+2CD Ltd/Ed P28 USD $60.99 Buy It Now 6h 40m
THE FIRES OF ORK-DEBUT CD (APOLLO, 1994) NAMLOOK/BIOSPHERE COLLAB NEW SEALED USD $50.00 Buy It Now 6h 49m
She Has No Strings Apollo Dirty Three CD USD $25.68 Buy It Now 6h 51m
CHARLIE PARKER at the Apollo Theatre & St Nick's Arena + STAN GETZ BROTHERS BAND USD $13.73 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin (CD, Jan-2015, Apollo Records) USD $10.46 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks by Brian Eno (CD, Aug-2009, Virgin) USD $3.89 Buy It Now 7h 3m
45tk-R&B vocal group-APOLLO 540-Armonda & the Jays USD $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 13m
CHARLIE BARNET: East Side West Side NYC Apollo JAZZ Jump 78 RPM USD $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 13m
45tk-Black Gospel-APOLLO 539-Mahalia Jackson *****PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 14m
45tk-Rockabilly-APOLLO 530-Mel Albert USD $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 15m
45tk-R&B-APOLLO 527-Solomon Burke USD $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 16m
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993-JAPAN DVD K03 USD $41.50 Buy It Now 7h 16m
45tk-Teen Rocker-APOLLO 525-Jimmie Lee & the Markees *****PROMO USD $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 17m
45tk- R&B vocal group-APOLLO 510-The Cellos USD $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Spirit of Apollo Audio CD USD $26.53 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Spirit of Apollo (Dlcd) [Analog] Nasa LP Record USD $30.78 Buy It Now 7h 22m
45tk-R&B vocal group-APOLLO 515-The Cellos USD $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 24m
AL APOLLO: I'm Walkin' / I Laughed 45 (rare stock) rare Soul USD $175.00 Buy It Now 7h 31m
HALL & OATES "Live At The Apollo" Original STILL SEALED 1985 LP RECORDS RCA USD $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 32m
The Future's What It Used to Be [Digipak] by Apollo 440 (CD, 2012, Radikal... USD $18.09 Buy It Now 7h 33m
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993-JAPAN 2 CD G88 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Handel: Apollo and Dafne [IMPORT] Audio CD USD $29.14 Buy It Now 7h 36m
James Brown Live at the Apollo 1962 Polygram CD Classic 60s R&B Pop Motown Rare USD $10.21 Buy It Now 7h 42m
MAHALIA JACKSON: Just As I Am APOLLO '58 Orig VINYL LP Soul VG+ USD $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Apollo 100 featuring Tom Parker: "Joy" / "Excercise In A Minor" - '71 hit - NM! USD $4.00 Buy It Now 8h 4m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES-LIVE AT THE APOLLO-JAPAN BLU-SPEC CD2 D73 USD $18.50 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants (Cassette, Mar-1992, Elektra (Label)) USD $25.00 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Jazz 78 RPM - Sir Charles Thompson w/ Charlie Parker on Apollo Records - VG+ USD $20.00 Buy It Now 8h 50m
28 DAYS & APOLLO 440 Say What? CD - Die-cut Cover USD $9.86 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954 Epic LN 3180, MONO DEEP GROOVE,EX USD $8.95 Buy It Now 9h 4m
Apollo presents house of virginism exclusive IMPORT 12" vinyl record 2f USD $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 19m
4 VAGABONDS Yesteryear's Memories LP VINYL US Apollo 14 Track (8012) Still USD $4.48 Buy It Now 9h 24m
Magnum live concert at Manchester Apollo 31st of March 1988 A4 size poster print USD $18.72 Buy It Now 9h 37m
HALL AND OATES Live At The Apollo LP VINYL German Rca 1985 7 Track With Inner USD $6.23 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Apollo - Stockholm Sydrome (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.15 Buy It Now 10h 6m
Illinois Jacquet Apollo 769 78 RPM Jacquet Mood/Robins Nest USD $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 15m
45tk-R&B vocal Group-APOLLO 523-The Casanovas *****PROMO USD $150.00 Buy It Now 10h 17m
45tk-R&B vocal Group-APOLLO 519-The Casanovas *****PROMO USD $200.00 Buy It Now 10h 18m
Handel: Apollo e Dafne; The Alchymist. USD $12.66 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Scarborough Fayre: Trad Tunes from Br Isles (Apollo's Fire) Various Composers Au USD $37.61 Buy It Now 10h 28m
APOLLO 440 Astral America 12" VINYL UK Stealth 1993 4 Track B/W Spirit Of USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 45m
APOLLO 11 One Small Step 12" VINYL UK Debut 3 Track Promo B/W Astro Mix USD $6.23 Buy It Now 10h 45m
RAW UNLTD In My Heart 12" VINYL UK Ten 1991 3 Track Apollo 440 Mix B/W Art USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 45m
MARC ET CLAUDE Loving You '03 12" VINYL UK Positiva 2003 3 Track Apollo Remix USD $6.23 Buy It Now 10h 45m
BANDERAS She Sells 12" VINYL US London 1991 4 Track Apollo 440 Edit B/w Digital USD $6.23 Buy It Now 10h 45m
APOLLO 440 Astral America 12" VINYL UK Stealth 1993 3 Track Promo Pic Disc USD $5.25 Buy It Now 10h 45m
APOLLO 440 Raw Power 12" VINYL UK Sony 1997 5 Track 440 Original B/W Urban USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 45m
SOLO Boom Baby Boom 12" VINYL UK Reverb 1994 6 Track B/W Apollo 440 Remix USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 45m
LITTLE CAESAR Whole Of The Moon 12" VINYL UK A1 1990 4 Track Apollo 11 Stage USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 46m
ADAM ANT Apollo 9 12" VINYL UK Cbs 1984 2 Track Orbit Mix B/W B Side Baby USD $5.23 Buy It Now 10h 46m
HALL AND OATES A Nite At The Apollo Live! 12" VINYL UK Rca 1985 3 Track The Way USD $5.23 Buy It Now 10h 46m
LIONEL HAMPTON Apollo Hall Concert LP VINYL Dutch Mercury 9 Track Mono Reissue USD $8.48 Buy It Now 10h 46m
BANDERAS She Sells 12" VINYL UK Ffrr 1991 4 Track Apollo 440 Mix B/W Digital USD $6.23 Buy It Now 10h 46m
SLOW BONGO FLOYD So Cool 12" VINYL Dutch Epic 1992 4 Track Apollo 440 Ragga USD $5.23 Buy It Now 10h 46m
APOLLO 440 Rumble EP 12" VINYL UK Stealth 1993 3 Track B/W Hydraglide USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10h 46m
APOLLO (70'S) Astro Disco 12" VINYL UK Motown 1979 2 Track With Factory Sample USD $5.23 Buy It Now 10h 46m
MAHALIA JACKSON Command Performance Volume 2 LP VINYL US Apollo 11 Track USD $8.48 Buy It Now 10h 46m
MAHALIA JACKSON Command Performance Volume 1 LP VINYL US Apollo 10 Track USD $8.48 Buy It Now 10h 46m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"