BOCES

Mercury Rev

Mercury Rev Boces album cover

Buy MERCURY REV Music
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. Meth of a Rockette's Kick (10:29)
2. Trickle Down (5:04)
3. Bronx Cheer (2:49)
4. Boys Peel Out (4:28)
5. Downs Are Feminine Balloons (6:29)
6. Something for Joey (4:06)
7. Snorry Mouth (10:55)
8. Hi-Speed Boats (4:00)
9. Continuous Drunks and Blunders (0:48)
10. Girlfren (4:41)

- David Baker / vocals
- Jimy Chambers / drums, electric piano
- Suzanne Thorpe / flutes, French horn
- Grasshopper / sounds

MERCURY REV MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MERCURY REV Boces Music

Beggars Banquet Intl
BocesBoces
Music on Vinyl 2011
Vinyl$246.00

More places to buy MERCURY REV music online Buy MERCURY REV & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MERCURY REV Boces ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(27%)

MERCURY REV Boces reviews

Review by bhikkhu
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Team
3 stars This is an odd album, by an equally odd group. This is 90's alternative, with some prog tendencies (they would get proggier). That doesn't say enough either. There are some very catchy elements, surrounded by a cacophony of instruments (there are a vast array used here.) Within what seems to be a mess, a cohesion comes forth. It is quirky, and funny at times, but there is also darkness lurking about. On most of the songs, the lyrics are near impenetrable. Lost? I'm not surprised. All in all, it's a very enjoyable album.

"Meth of a Rockette's Kick" is probably the most prog of the bunch. It starts with a very light, and playful feel, and builds to a crescendo with noisy guitars. All the while, staying true to the playful aspect. It goes in to an interlude/jam, with some horns, crazy piano, and a flute keeping the theme going. The ending is an all out frenzy.

"Trickle Down" is a bit hardcore, almost metal. It reminds me a bit of Jane's Addiction.

"Bronx Cheer" may be the closest thing to a mainstream (dare I say pop?) number.

"Boys Peel Out" is a jazzy, beatnik inspired thing. There are great touches of drum brushes, electric piano, and a vibraphone.

"Snorry Mouth" is a dark little number, playing with the old relationship issues.

"Hi-Speed Boats" is reminiscent of the best of psychedelic rock. You can especially hear the Beatles' ("Rubber Soul" era) influence.

"Girlfren" is a drunken scat. If you can tell me what is being said, I would sure like to know.

Those are the highlights. It's a tough act to nail down, but I do know that I like it. Anyone who likes a good alternative band mixed with prog should dig it. This is an album you could fool your friends with. Put it on and they will say, "Thank god you're not playing that weird, boring crap." But you would know that there is much more here, beneath the surface.

H.T. Riekels

Review by Chris S
2 stars I have played this several times now and still don't quite get it. It is regarded by critics as being one of their finest works. Boces has all the qualities of pure chaos. A bit like Sun Ra but with a 90's feel to it. They meddle with a multitude of instruments which indicates there are many layers of sound to unravel. Where do you end up after attempts to penetrate the wall of sound? I cannot honestly say. Being a big Mercury Rev fan I would have to say 'Meth of a Rockette's Kick ' is the highlight and also the most progressive sounding of an odd bunch.' Downs are feminine Balloons' and 'Snorry Mouth' are the other highpoints. You can't accuse them of having odd song titles and the cover confirms the great sense of humour this band have always maintained. I would have to say for collectors only however and it will take many many listens to sink in.
Review by UMUR
3 stars Boces is the second full-length studio album by American experimental/ psychadelic rock artist Mercury Rev. I found the bandīs debut album Yerself Is Steam (1991) to be an enjoyable but flawed affair, so I was hesitant to expect too much of Boces. As it is the band travels down the same lane on Boces as they did on the debut with a few improvements though.

The music is still experimental/ psychadelic rock and not very commercial to my ears. They must have had some commercial succes though as they played on the Lollapalooza festival during the tour for the album. Allthough the words experimental and psychadelic sounds great to my ears the album is not overtly experimental. This is still basicly alternative rock with some strange psychadelic noises and a few experiments along the way. Songs like the two 10 minute long tracks Meth of a Rockette's Kick and Snorry Mouth does have long noisy and psychadelic sections but the songs are generally pretty straight. The melodies take some time to sink in and thatīs usually a feature I enjoy in music but in this case I must admit that Iīm a little in doubt if itīs because the melodies just arenīt that memorable.

The musicianship is good and I enjoy the sections where Suzanne Thorpeīs flute is heard. A strange feature in the music for sure. Lead vocalist David Baker who hasnīt the most remarkable voice in the world is somehow a great asset to the album anyway. Heīs got some sort of special thing that makes his performance special. This would be the last album to feature David Baker. He would cite musical and personal disputes as the reasons for his departure. David Baker has later recorded an album using the name Shady.

The production while professional isnīt really to my taste. It lacks warmth IMO.

Boces is not an album to my taste but I acknowledge that itīs a quality product and I do partially enjoy it. 3 small stars is deserved for an album with many good ideas but with a mixed outcome.

Post a review of MERCURY REV "Boces"