Brian Eno

Brian Eno Neroli - Thinking Music Part IV album cover

Good, but non-essential

from partners
Studio Album, released in 1993

1. Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV) (57:58)

- Brian Eno / all instruments and production

Artwork: Brian Eno

CD All Saint Records - ASCD15 (1993, UK)

Thanks to Dragon Phoenix for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy BRIAN ENO Neroli - Thinking Music Part IV Music

Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV)Neroli (Thinking Music Part IV)
Gyroscope / All Saints Records / Caroline Records 1993

More places to buy BRIAN ENO music online Buy BRIAN ENO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BRIAN ENO Neroli - Thinking Music Part IV ratings distribution

BRIAN ENO Neroli - Thinking Music Part IV reviews

Review by Syzygy
3 stars The most ambient of all Eno's experiments in this field, Neroli makes Discreet Music sound like Metallica jamming with Motorhead. The recording features treated piano playing simple interlocking motifs in the Phyrgian mode (it says in the sleevenotes). There's no discernible rhythmic, harmonic or melodic development - the music simply hangs in the air like the perfume it's named after. It's very nice to listen to at low volume as you drift off to sleep, but if you've already got some of Eno's ambient albums it's not really essential.

4 stars If we define music as "sound in time" then this is music by definition. But you won't find here any cadences, any melodic argument and no harmony whatsoever. Instead this album represents an exploration in the latitude of sound, its expansion as a spatial event by means of a series of pitches taken ... (read more)

Report this review (#443295) | Posted by jameszbn | Thursday, May 5, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This album is not easy to review. As a matter of fact, there's a question on if 'Neroli' should actually be listened to as a record, or used as a background 'thinking music' while you read, sleep, relax, meditate etc. An hour-long piece consists of single notes being played on a synthesizer gi ... (read more)

Report this review (#222552) | Posted by In the Flesh? | Monday, June 22, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Ok I'll give this one a boost up. The first time I heard Neroli I was very disappointed and thought I'd wasted my money, then sold it soon after. However, years later and on my second copy I finaly appreciate it. Neroli has a beauty that is more akin to a late Morton Feldman piece than a 'tradit ... (read more)

Report this review (#127562) | Posted by requiredfield | Thursday, July 5, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Brian Eno produced a series of wonderful ambient records in the seventies, but this attempt from 1993 to recreate that feeling falls short in my opinion. It goes one step too far in its loss of clear melody lines and development at the attempt to create a new soundscape. Eno himself states in ... (read more)

Report this review (#35075) | Posted by Dragon Phoenix | Sunday, May 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BRIAN ENO "Neroli - Thinking Music Part IV"