DOES HUMOR BELONG IN MUSIC?

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Frank Zappa Does Humor Belong In Music? album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
DVD/Video, released in 2003

1. Zoot Allures (5:53)
2. Tinsel Town Rebellion (4:14)
3. Trouble Every Day (2:16)
4. Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel (1:01)
5. The Dangerous Kitchen (1:58)
6. He's So Gay (2:43)
7. Bobby Brown (2:29)
8. Keep It Greasey (3:28)
9. Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me? (4:15)
10. Dinah-Moe Humm (3:24)
11. Cosmik Debris (4:37)
12. Be In My Video (3:13)
13. Dancin' Fool (3:19)

- Bobby Martin / keyboards, tenor saxophone, vocals
- Allan Zavod / keyboards
- Scott Thunes / bass
- Chad Wackerman / drums

DVD Virgin Records (2003)

Thanks to Joren for the addition

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Roxy By ProxyRoxy By Proxy
Buffalo [2 CD]Buffalo [2 CD]
One Shot DealOne Shot Deal
Sheik YerboutiSheik Yerbouti
Zappa Records 2012

FRANK ZAPPA & CAPTAIN BEEFHEART New 2017 HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY 2 DVD SET USD $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe ()/Over-Nite Sensation (DVD, 2007) OOP GREAT MUSIC USD $6.66 [0 bids]
e594 Japan Laserdisc FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong in Music? ? USD $36.80 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Frank Zappa and Jean-Luc Ponty at POP2 1971 DVD USD $16.08 Buy It Now 16h 55m
Frank Zappa - Does Humour Belong In Music Live NYC Aug 26 1984 Remastered USD $9.49 Buy It Now 18h 41m
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation (DVD, 2007) BRAND NEW USD $2.79 Buy It Now 21h 21m
FRANK ZAPPA: FREAK JAZZ, MOVIE MADNESS AND [USED DVD] USD $10.53 Buy It Now 23h 2m
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION - I [USED DVD] USD $10.92 Buy It Now 1 day
AN EVENING WITH FRANK ZAPPA DURING WHICH... [USED DVD] USD $9.77 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK ZAPPA: 200 MOTELS [USED DVD] USD $18.10 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK ZAPPA AUTOGRAPH SIGNED 6X4 PHOTO PRINT MOTHERS OF INVENTION USD $3.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa - Zappa's Universe (VHS, 1993) USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Does Humor Belong in Music? Frank Zappa Live by Mann, Ed, Martin, Bobby, Thunes USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK ZAPPA ROXY THE MOVIE BLU-RAY JAPAN DELUXE EDITION USD $213.51 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa-Halloween DVD-Audio DVD-A Disc DTS Live Concert in NYC 1978 OOP USD $23.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa - The Dub Room Special (DVD, 2005) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: Roxy the Movie New DVD USD $18.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Eat That Question - Frank Zappa in His Own Words (Sous-titres franšais) USD $27.70 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK ZAPPA: A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME [USED DVD] USD $10.72 Buy It Now 1 day
ROLLING STONE PRESENTS 20 YEARS OF ROCK & ROLL VHS TAPE FRANK ZAPPA BOWIE ELVIS USD $3.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Baby Snakes: Starring Frank Zappa (DVD Used Very Good) USD $11.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Does Humor Belong in Music DVD Frank Zappa, Ray White, Ike Willis, Bobby Martin USD $7.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank ZAPPA Live The Pier NYC USA 26th August 1984 DVD USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK ZAPPA: THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS/THE DUB [USED DVD] USD $19.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa 'Roxy The Movie' DVD USD $7.00 [0 bids]
USD $12.00 Buy It Now
FRANK ZAPPA: FROM STRAIGHT TO BIZARRE [USED DVD] USD $14.01 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation (DVD, 2007) USD $6.42 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK ZAPPA - ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA [USED DVD] USD $15.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Zappa - Zappa Plays Zappa [2-Disc Brilliant Boxset] New DVD USD $20.69 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Zappa: A Token of His Extreme [not used] New DVD USD $63.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Timothy Carey Movie,"The World's Greatest Sinner" (DVD 1962) Music- Frank Zappa USD $24.95 Buy It Now 3 days
THE BOY WHO LEFT HOME TO FIND OUT ABOUT SHIVERS vhs CHRISTOPHER LEE Frank Zappa USD $5.55 [0 bids]
USD $7.22 Buy It Now
BRAND NEW! Frank Zappa: A Token of His Extreme (DVD NTSC 0) USA USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS-ROXY-JAPAN BLU-RAY+CD+CASSETTE+BOOK+T-SHIRT USD $167.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Cocaine Blues VHS 1983 Lightning Video Frank Zappa USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS-ROXY THE MOVIE-JAPAN BLU-RAY+CD BONUS TRACK Q06 USD $54.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-IN HIS OWN WORDS DVD NEW USD $16.71 Buy It Now 3 days
NEW Frank Zappa Classic Performances (DVD) USD $23.15 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Zappa-Trouble Every Day-Dvd- DVD NEW USD $13.96 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANK ZAPPA IN BARCELONA 1988 LIVE DVD NEW Captain Beefheart King Crimson Gong USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: Roxy the Movie DVD, 2015, CD/DVD USD $26.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Zappa: From Straight to Bizarre (DVD, 2012) USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa presents UNCLE MEAT MOVIE vhs RARE OOP 1987 Mothers of Invention USD $19.99 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA-FRANK ZAPPA NO KISEKI 1969-1973 (JAPANESE TITLE)-JAPAN DVD J50 USD $39.50 Buy It Now 4 days
1971 Frank Zappa's "200 Motels" Laserdisc Extended Play With Ringo Starr USD $10.50 [2 bids]
SEALED 7 VHS SET W/ LIVE JOHN DENVER, NEIL DIAMOND, CHAD MITCHELL, FRANK ZAPPA + USD $50.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation New DVD USD $9.04 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention - In The 1960s New DVD USD $14.17 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa - The Torture Never Stops New DVD USD $22.85 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa: From Straight to Bizarre New DVD USD $6.74 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa: The Torture Never Stops/The Dub Room Special!/Baby Snakes New DVD USD $22.75 Buy It Now 5 days
FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed 2017 EAT THAT QUESTION DOCUMENTARY & INTERVIEW DVD USD $30.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Eat That Question - Frank Zappa in His Own Words, New DVDs USD $29.76 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa: From Straight to Bizarre (DVD Used Very Good) USD $15.02 Buy It Now 5 days
From Straight To Bizarre - Frank Zappa - DVD - Brand New! Factory Sealed! USD $16.99 Buy It Now 5 days
FRANK ZAPPA - HALLOWEEN / LIVE IN NYC 1978 - DVD AUDIO DISC USD $30.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa 200 Motels DVD Region1 Canada/USA New Sealed USD $18.28 Buy It Now 5 days
Classic Album: Frank Zappa - Apostrophe/Over-Nite Sensation (2007, DVD New) USD $9.46 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa - Zappa Plays Zappa (DVD, 2008, 2-Disc Set) USD $11.95 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION-THE LOST BROADCAST...-JAPAN DVD H93 USD $33.99 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA-DUB ROOM SPECIAL-JAPAN DVD D99 USD $19.50 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS-ROXY THE MOVIE-JAPAN DVD+CD BONUS TRACK N44 USD $53.99 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS-ROXY-JAPAN BLU-RAY+CD+CASSETTE+BOOK+T-SHIRT Ltd AN66 USD $149.99 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA-BABY SNAKES-JAPAN DVD D99 USD $19.50 Buy It Now 6 days
Head (VHS, 1968/86) musical The Monkees, Frank Zappa 1st issue original RARE RCA USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA - BABY SNAKES - DVD - NEW & SEALED USD $9.68 Buy It Now 6 days
Baby Snakes: Starring Frank Zappa USD $28.86 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa - The Dub Room Special NEAR MINT (DVD, 2005) USD $7.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation NEAR MINT DVD, 2007) USD $8.98 Buy It Now 6 days
Tony Palmer/Frank Zappa-200 Motels-'71 CULT-NEW DVD USD $25.99 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS - ROXY: THE MOVIE DVD + CD NEW+ USD $51.69 Buy It Now 6 days
3 DVD music lot Led Zeppelin Frank Zappa live concerts documentary radiant USD $23.95 Buy It Now 7 days
BAND FROM UTOPIA FRANK ZAPPA TRIBUTE DVD LIVE 1990 IKE WILLIS TOMMY MARS New USD $29.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: In the 1960s DVD NEW USD $16.71 Buy It Now 7 days
Frank Zappa - The Dub Room Special New DVD USD $12.05 Buy It Now 7 days
Frank Zappa ?- Baby Snakes VHS USD $17.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words [Region 1] - DVD - New - Free Sh USD $28.26 Buy It Now 7 days
An Evening with Frank Zappa During Which... The Torture Never Stops New DVD USD $10.80 Buy It Now 8 days
VHS THE MONKEES HEAD Retro Music Comedy Mature Frank ZAPPA Groovy! USD $7.96 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa - Does Humour Belong In Music (DVD, 2004, GD) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Drum Channel.com Colle. Vol. 1: The Drummers of Frank Zappa Rare OOP Like New USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed 2017 LIVE PERFORMANCES, INTERVIEWS & MORE DVD USD $18.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes - DVD Region 1 Free Shipping!!! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (*)/Over-Nite Sensation (DVD, 2007) MAKE AN OFFER! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa: 200 Motels (DVD, 2010) USD $12.43 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (') / Over-Nite Sensation - Classic Albums New DVD USD $12.39 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa The Mothers - Roxy: The Movie New DVD USD $17.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa The Mothers - Roxy: The Movie Bluray USD $20.39 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa The Mothers - Roxy: The Movie New DVD USD $20.39 Buy It Now 9 days
FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed 2017 COMPLETE CAREER SPANNING INTERVIEWS DVD USD $20.99 Buy It Now 9 days
FRANK ZAPPA - THE DUB ROOM SPECIAL [USED DVD] USD $8.48 Buy It Now 9 days
FRANK ZAPPA HUMOR BELONG IN MUSIC? VHS PAL - PMI 1985 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
FRANK ZAPPA'S 200 MOTELS (ML100423) LASERDISC USD $30.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa / Does Humor Belong in Music? LIVE Laserdisc JAPAN LD w/OBI 70056-88 USD $68.00 Buy It Now 9 days
FRANK ZAPPA ROXY THE MOVIE SEALED DVD NEW USD $8.13 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa: A Token of His Extreme USD $12.39 Buy It Now 10 days
USED CD Frank Zappa El Paso, TX '75 2010 Cellar Dweller Records Import USD $19.77 Buy It Now 10 days
The True Story Of Frank Zappa's 200 Motels VHS 1988 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Frank Zappa: A Token of His Extreme (DVD Used Very Good) USD $11.03 Buy It Now 10 days

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? reviews

Review by Jim Garten
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Retired Admin & Razor Guru
3 stars Taken from an open air concert on the 'Them Or Us' tour in 1984, 'Does Humor Belong In Music' captures one of the tightest, and most stripped down lineups Zappa took on the road; three perfect pairings, in fact (sorry Mr Fripp):

Thunes & Wackerman playing off each other constantly (with Thunes providing many a comic moment), Martin & (the rarely seen) Zavod, facing each other at the back doing their level best to out-do each other (Martin winning due to superb vocals throughout) and the inspired pairing of Willis & White sharing guitar & vocal duties with the Man himself.

Despite the vast range of material played live by this lineup, the DVD concentrates largely on the comedy songs (hence "Does Humor....."), and while there's nothing wrong with this, I feel the film does not do Zappa justice; although the classics 'Trouble Every Day' and 'Hotplate Heaven' are included, the excerpts included clock in at less than four minutes in total. The only times we really get to see Zappa do what he does best (ie shut up & play his guitar) are in the opening 'Zoot Allures', the set closer 'Cozmik Debris' and the marvellous final encore 'Whippin' Post' (yes, the Allman Brothers' song). For the rest of the time, he is Zappa the entertainer/ringmaster, proving that avant garde rock, blues parodies, satire and downright smut can be easy bedfellows.

Throughout the film, we are also treated to clips from interviews with Zappa, where he shares his varied views on everything from cigarettes (berating the citizens of Los Angeles who believe they "wil live forever if they stamp out tobacco smoke"), women, and the high levels of drug abuse at Barry Manilow concerts...

When this was originally released on VHS in 1984, it was snapped up due to the lack of any decent concert material available on film. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing at all wrong with this DVD if you like Zappa's comic moments; if, however, you prefer to see Zappa the musician, I would recommend you try 'Baby Snakes' first.

Review by Cygnus X-2
2 stars Of all the Zappa videos available, this is probably my least favorite. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a terribly awful video, it's just it doesn't show Zappa as a musician, but more as a comedian. There are moments here and there where he really lets loose on guitar, but for the most part this set is just for the comedy numbers and the ones that are supposed to make you laugh. In the end, though, I was never terribly fond of the album that is toured for this video (Them or Us) and the material played here from that album doesn't really change my opinion either. The audio quality is a usual Zappa affair, nicely balanced and everyone gets a little piece of the mix. The video, though, is not to the best quality that it can be, it feels a bit low-budget in my opinion.

Anyway, this concert (although it's only parts of it) focuses mainly on the funnier and more obscene songs in the Zappa catalogue and most of the songs are less than 4 minutes in length. Because of this there is a lot of material played within the 50 minutes from a wide variety of albums. It opens nicely with a cool rendition of Zoot Allures with an (pun intended) alluring Zappa guitar solo. After that, expect short pieces that focus mainly on vocals and little instrumental snippets. Tinseltown Rebellion gets a rousing version here with some nice interplay between Thunes and Martin. It's one of the better pieces on the entire video, really good stuff here. Trouble Everyday and Hot Plate at the Green Hotel follow with some nice vocal harmonies from Ike Willis and Ray White, but nothing more than that.

The Dangerous Kitchen is a song that Zappa shouldn't have ever played live, in my opinion. It's such a disatrous song that Zappa should have kept it on the studio album where it gets a zanier and more enjoyable presenation. Some of the You Are What You Is material here is somewhat decent, but I wasn't too fond of that album, either. The best songs following Zoot Allures are Bobby Brown Goes Down, which has always been a favorite of mine, Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, another favorite, and Cosmik Debris, which is always a fun song when played in the live realm. Everything else, though, is a bit underwhelming and I'm not terribly impressed with the presentation. The live interview segments with Zappa act as little interludes between the music, and they offer a little humor from Zappa with his comments and his cynical sense of humor.

In the end, Does Humor Belong in Music? Yes, it does. Is this a great video? Not a great video, but there are some redeeming moments in it. If you want to see Zappa as a musician and not a comedian, you may want to steer clear of this video, as there are two other videos that more than show his musical talents. I would get this video last if you are a collector, but if you're a fan of this type of Zappa and this era of Zappa, you may also find some enjoyment out of it. Overall, though, Baby Snakes is a better video in terms of comedy and in musicianship and pretty much everything else. Not bad, but not terribly great. 2.5/5.

Review by Matti
1 stars Note: take this as a friendly warning if you're unsure whether you like Zappa or not. DO NOT start here! All the others are adviced not to waste their time reading my angry 'review'.

Several times I have given Frank Zappa a chance to get me interested in his music, but it never has turned out right for me. I believe I might enjoy One Size Fits All or other albums in that style ('Inca Roads' was OK on some V.A. compilation), but the ones I've listened from start to end have been more or less junk to my ears. But this very concert material (shot in New York 1984) that I happened to borrow from library is my ultimate "I CAN'T STAND FRANK ZAPPA" -experience. I nearly threw up.

The opening instrumental 'Zoot Allures' was pretty good and intelligent jazzy piece, but the rest is awful "humorous" riff-raff with fast-paced vocals, both solo singing and 'barbershop'- type ensemble singing, and complex time signatures just for the sake of it. Often it really doesn't sound any better than an improvisatory joke singing emphasized on the lyrical content would sound. The playing is skilful, no doubt of that, but WHAT they play is mostly irritating to me. And when they are tastelessly mocking gays on 'He's So Gay', my measure was full (I don't know any gays personally, but it looked VERY offensive).

If I can help someone like me to decide NOT to waste his/her time on this stuff (guaranteed to unplease if sharing my taste), this silly review is justified. Besides, the visual quality can be judged quite poor objectively too. Anyway, I still have perspective enough to think that this probably was the worst possible item for trying to get into Frank Zappa's music. IF I come across into some more suitable album, I'll give him ONE more try.

2 stars For one who grew up on "Hot Rats" and an admirer of Zappa's pre-'80s works, this release is rather a non-event. Indeed, if it was my first experience of his works, it's very likely that it may have ended up to be my last, too. There is nothing really wrong with the performance, but nothing mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#880334) | Posted by BORA | Saturday, December 22, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I think this is a great start to Zappa,i find these songs easily listening in comparison to Zappa's otherwork,the music itself is still musically changeling compared to other music dvds but compared to Zappa's standard you could almost dance to it. Humour is a big factor for this dvd with the son ... (read more)

Report this review (#134780) | Posted by mrcozdude | Saturday, August 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Does Humor Belong In Music?"