LIVE & LIFE

CD 1:
1. Witch Hunt (4:15)
2. An Angel Falls (1:11)
3. Painted Man (4:22)
4. This Way Madness Lies (3:43)
5. Spectre At The Feast (6:10)
6. Skin Game (4:26)
7. Salamander (3:35)
8. Bitter Harvest (1:17)
9. City Of Lanterns (1:31)
10. Riding The Tide (4:23)
11. Cutting The Cards (5:18)
12. Ascension (5:47)

CD2:
1. Serenity (2:27)
2. Chosen (6:38)
3. Double Vision (4:17)
4. The Hanging Tree (7:12)
5. (Don't Forget To) Breathe (5:23)
6. The Butterfly Man (9:06)
7. Enemy Without (5:37)
8. Solomon (13:47)
9. Jericho (6:42)
10. Crying For Help VII (3:52)

- Rob Sowden / vocals
- John Mitchell / guitar & backing vocals
- Clive Nolan / keyboards & backing vocals
- Ian Salmon / bass
- Mick Pointer / drums

2CD + DVD Verglas VGCD027 UK-2004

and to ratinet for the last updates

Buy ARENA Live & Life Music

Live & LifeLive & Life
Imports 2005
$19.13

Lisa Live Is Smile Always-Never Ending Glory At Yokohama Arena Dvd Japan New F/S USD $66.57 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Alter Bridge Live At The 02 Arena+Rarities CD USD $27.76 Buy It Now 4h 21m
Pearl Jam Still Sealed 2 x CD Live Official Bootleg 02 Arena London 08 18 2009 USD $26.28 Buy It Now 4h 51m
GEORGE MICHAEL 25LIVE TOUR BACKSTAGE PASS SHEET WEMBLEY ARENA DECEMBER 2006 BLUE USD $6.72 [0 bids]
RARE LED ZEPPELIN LIVE 2 LP SET HEAVY CLEAR VINYL SALT PALACE ARENA UT 5/26/1973 USD $23.00 [18 bids]
6h
Slip Double: Kasabian : Live 2011 O2 Arena London Numbered Limited Edition 5000 USD $31.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Hanson - Live From Albertane (1998 CD) Live At The Key Arena Seattle 1998 RARE USD $2.95 Buy It Now 6h 42m
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE AT LONG BEACH ARENA 1976 USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $15.89 Buy It Now 7h 17m
ELVIS PRESLEY Fever Pitch Bloch Arena Pearl Harbor HI March 25, 1961 Live CD USD $27.00 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Dire Straits Live In 85/6 tour programme UK TOUR PROGRAMME ARENA INTERNATIONAL USD $31.60 Buy It Now 10h 51m
LIVE AT WEMBLEY BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2016 kicks off at THE SSE ARENA CD Japan USD $43.00 Buy It Now 10h 59m
KINGS OF LEON LIVE AT THE 02 ARENA LONDON ENGLAND BRAND NEW SEALED R1 DVD USD $9.58 Buy It Now 12h 42m
Alter Bridge - Live at the O2 Arena Rarities 500 Copies 180g 4 Picture Vinyl LP USD $169.00 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Alter Bridge - Live at the O2 Arena + Rarities 300 Copies Gold 180g 4 Vinyl LP USD $189.00 Buy It Now 14h
Alter Bridge - Live at the O2 Arena Rarities 500 Copies 180g 4 Picture Vinyl LP USD $169.00 Buy It Now 14h
LIVE AT WEMBLEY BABYMETAL WORLD TOUR 2016 kicks off at THE SSE ARENA CD Japan USD $45.99 Buy It Now 14h 30m
ALTER BRIDGE CD - LIVE AT THE O2 ARENA + RARITIES [3 DISCS](2017) - NEW UNOPENED USD $18.99 Buy It Now 15h 19m
NEW Green Card Tour: Live from the O2 Arena (DVD) USD $30.78 Buy It Now 18h 5m
The Best-live-Reunion Arena Dallas Texas on 7th May 1990. by Madonna USD $15.08 Buy It Now 20h 36m
Deep Purple Live At Long Beach Arena 1976 UK vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $53.37 Buy It Now 21h 40m
Tina Arena Live for the one I love Soda club mixes promo USD $2.68 [0 bids]
2CELLOS Live At Arena Zagreb DVD BRAND NEW NTSC Region 0 ALL USD $11.16 Buy It Now 1 day
Babymetal - Live At Wembley Arena [New CD] UK - Import USD $12.77 Buy It Now 1 day
BAD COMPANY: Live at Wembley Arena Import Audio CD USD $19.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DURAN DURAN Live ... "Paper Gods" 2015 UK Arena Tour. Promo card tour flyers x 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1 day
DURAN DURAN Live "All you need is Now" 2011 UK Arena Tour VERY RARE Promo flyer. USD $3.30 Buy It Now 1 day
CULTURE CLUB/Boy George Live in Concert 2014 UK Arena Tour Promo card flyers x 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Paolo Conte / Live Arena Di Verona (Atlantic/5051011130427) 2xCD ALBUM USD $85.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Babymetal - Live At Wembley Arena [New CD] UK - Import USD $13.39 Buy It Now 1 day
J. COLE Live in Concert "4 Your Eyez Only" 2017 UK Arena Tour "RARE" Promo flyer USD $2.36 Buy It Now 1 day
BLINK-182 - UK CONCERT LIVE TOUR FLYER JUNE 2012 - NEWCASTLE METRO RADIO ARENA USD $1.33 [0 bids]
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium (Live at the O2 Arena London 12/21/2009 [CD+DVD... USD $10.09 [0 bids]
Harry Potter Film Concert Series LIVE Motorpoint Arena Cardiff Flyer 14 May 2017 USD $1.33 [0 bids]
Bad Company - Live In The UK/Birmingham LG Arena 01-04-2010 (3CD) USD $26.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Tina Arena - Symphony of Life [New CD] Bonus DVD, PAL Region 0 USD $13.85 Buy It Now 1 day
Dave Gahan Live in St. Petersburg Russia New Ice Arena 2003 Depeche Mode rare USD $48.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BARREN CROSS Atomic Arena cassette tape Christian metal 1988 pro-life USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Katie Melua - Live at the O2 Arena - CD - New USD $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Halford - Live At Saitama Super Arena - Original Soundtrack - CD - New USD $17.07 Buy It Now 1 day
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium [Live at the O2 Arena, London - 21 December 2009] - USD $14.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Pearl Jam Live Official Bootleg #29 Atlanta GA 08/07/2000 Philips Arena USD $18.83 Buy It Now 1 day
Duran Duran : Arena Live & Notorious LP Vinyl Record Lot NRMT Rio USD $10.00 [0 bids]
UB40 LIVE AT THE 02 ARENA VOL 2 (2009) BRAND NEW LIMITED CLEAR VINYL LP USD $32.13 Buy It Now 1 day
UB40 LIVE AT THE 02 ARENA VOL 2 (2009) BRAND NEW LIMITED RED VINYL LP USD $32.13 Buy It Now 1 day
THE-DOORS-034-LIVE-IN-BOSTON-1970-034-3CD-USED-APRIL-10-1970-BOSTON-ARENA THE- USD $14.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - LIVE AT LONG BEACH ARENA 1976 NEW CD USD $17.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Zucchero-Black Cat Live From Arena Di Verona - Lp 180 Gr. VINYL NEW USD $34.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Katie Melua-Live at the O2 Arena CD NEW USD $16.32 Buy It Now 1 day
LIVE AT WEMBLEY ARENA USED - VERY GOOD DVD USD $6.74 Buy It Now 1 day
N-Dubz Love- Live - Life (Live at the O2 Arena) Official DVD [Non USA PAL Forma USD $23.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Phish Live Cassette! Marine Midland Arena Buffalo NY Sets I & II 10/19/96. USD $20.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DURAN DURAN "ARENA LIVE" CD NEW+ USD $15.14 Buy It Now 2 days
Live at Wembley Arena [LP] by ABBA (Vinyl, Sep-2014, 3 Discs, Polydor) USD $165.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CD R.E.M. - Begin The Begin - Live in Orlando Arena FL 1989 - Soundboard USD $17.00 [0 bids]
JAM, The - NEW Live At Wembley Arena 2nd December 1982 - Vinyl (2xLP) USD $47.16 Buy It Now 2 days
BABYMETAL THE ONE Limited ver. LIVE AT WEMBLEY ARENA 2016 USD $299.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities - Alter Bridge 840588109951 (CD Used Like New) USD $23.42 Buy It Now 2 days
THE BEATLES - LIVE AT THE JUDO ARENA - PICTURE DISC LIMITED EDITION SEALED! USD $74.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The War Of The Worlds : Live At O2 Arena A5 promo tour Flyer Jason Donovan USD $1.33 [0 bids]
Paul McCartney - Out There Live At Judo Arena 2CD USD $23.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Mega Rare Duran Duran '85 Arena Live On Tour Singapore Cassette CS1158 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Duran Duran 1984 Arena Live Recording G/F EMI UK 12" ELP1487 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Alter Bridge - Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities [New CD] UK - Import USD $25.42 Buy It Now 2 days
Aca Lukas CD + DVD Najveca Zurka Na Balkanu Live Arena Serbia Bosnia Srbija USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Alter Bridge - Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities [New CD] UK - Import USD $28.83 Buy It Now 2 days
TINA ARENA Burn CD European Columbia 1998 3 Track B/W Heaven Help My Heart Live USD $6.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Sergej Cetkovic CD Arena 2013 Live Serbia Bosnia Croatia Srbija Bosna Hrvatska USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SHADOWS Final Tour - Cardiff Arena 5Th June 2004 TICKET UK Cc Live 2004 Used USD $6.72 Buy It Now 2 days
DURAN DURAN *VG+* "ARENA" 1984 US CAPITOL LIVE CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Blur The Best Of Taiwan 2-CD w/OBI+Promo 16-P+Live At Wembley Arena Hits NEW USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PEARL JAM Live Official Bootleg Praha Czech Republic 6/14/2000 Paegas Arena CD USD $38.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Live At Wembley Arena - Bad Company (CD Used Very Good) USD $15.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Company - Live at Wembley Arena [New CD] USD $17.92 Buy It Now 2 days
GREATEST HITS - LIVE AT WEMBLEY ARENA (EUROPEAN IM USED - VERY GOOD DVD USD $4.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Katie Melua - 2008: Live at the O2 Arena [New CD] UK - Import USD $12.71 Buy It Now 2 days
Katie Melua - 2008: Live at the O2 Arena [New CD] UK - Import USD $10.75 Buy It Now 2 days
Kylie X 2008 Live DVD 02 Arena Region 4 PAL USD $11.28 Buy It Now 2 days
Bad Company - Live at Wembley Arena [New CD] USD $19.94 Buy It Now 2 days
THE WANTED Live in Concert Spring UK Arena Tour 2012 RARE Promo tour flyers x 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
THE SCRIPT Live in Concert "Freedom Child" 2018 UK Arena Tour Promo flyers x 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
ELBOW/Guy Garvey Live in Concert 2014 UK Arena Tour Promotional tour flyers x 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 2 days
TINA ARENA Symphony of Life RARE AUS 4trk CD Single USD $9.74 Buy It Now 2 days
Pink Floyd Live Docklands Arena 4/7/89 2 Lp's Promotional Use Promo England USD $59.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Bring Me The Horizon: Live At Wembley Arena [DVD] [2015] USD $10.95 Buy It Now 2 days
ALTER BRIDGE - Live At The O2 Arena & Rarities - Vinyl (4xLP box set) USD $51.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Alter Bridge-Live At The O2 Arena & Rarities CD NEW USD $44.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Jeff Lynne's ELO Live in Concert 2018 UK Arena tour Promotional tour flyers x 2 USD $2.36 Buy It Now 3 days
MADNESS Live in Concert "Can't Touch Us Now" UK Arena Tour 2016 Promo flyers x 2 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 3 days
UB40: Live - London O2 Arena 12.12.2009 2 CD Set 2012 4Worlds USA FWUS006CD NEW USD $10.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Genesis Live at Wembley Arena 1974 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
CD Double: ABBA : Live At Wembley Arena 1979 : 2 CDs USD $39.67 Buy It Now 3 days
Pet Shop Boys - Pandemonium-Live At The O2 Arena London-12/21 (CD Used Like New) USD $11.24 Buy It Now 3 days
Led Zeppelin Live 2CD Boston Garden Arena Massachusetts 1971 Seventh U.S. Tour USD $21.95 Buy It Now 3 days
WET WET WET INSTANT LIVE 2004 WEMBLEY ARENA 2 CD ALBUM DIGIPACK POP VERY RARE!! USD $17.50 Buy It Now 3 days
OZZY OSBOURNE LIVE ! LONG BEACH ARENA 1981 / MINT VINYLS USD $59.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Live: 30-5-00 Wembley Arena - London, England by Pearl Jam (CD, Sep-2000, 2 Disc USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Jimi Hendrix 2-3-68 Live at Winterland Arena,San Francisco,CA 1st USD $99.99 [0 bids]
USD $149.99 Buy It Now
BABYMETAL Live At Wembley 2016 CD album NEW/SEALED SSE Arena USD $10.09 Buy It Now 3 days
Take That - Back For Good Mix + Live Beatles Tribute Wembley Arena IMPORT CD USD $5.59 Buy It Now 3 days
TINA ARENA LIVE-The Onstage Collection CD & DVD REGION 0 PAL NEW USD $17.20 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy ARENA music online Buy ARENA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ARENA Live & Life ratings distribution

ARENA Live & Life reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars Best Neo Prog Live Acts

When this box set was displayed at local CD store down here in Jakarta, I was in a big doubt whether to buy it or not. Two reasons: 1. As the title in the box set mentioning that this is The Contagion Tour 2003 and I have got the DVD Caught In The Act that's basically the same tour, I thought that buying this box set would be of waste, especially with US$ 25.7 price tag was quite expensive for me. 2. There is no track list displayed visible to potential buyers that created another doubt, what's inside? But there's an information that it contains 2 live CDs plus bonus DVD that represents 40- minute documentary about the tour. Anyway, I didn't buy it and in fact I don't need to worry as there are 2 sets displayed, I took chance not to buy it. The day after, my prog mate Tatan called me up at my cell phone informing that he saw the box set and willing to purchase it. I checked the set at progarchives.com and see the track list and content. Well, I made decision to ask Tatan to reserve the other set for me. I went back to the store the same day and here I am with the box set!

I only had a chance to play this set at first time using my son's compo system when I arrived at home as when I was in the car I played another prog CD that I bought in that store - CONDITION RED first and second album (hey, this band must be featured here! It's prog to the corner man! Derek Sherinian, Alex Masi are contributing here). OK, for the Arena box set, to my surprise, even though the track list is similar with the Caught In The Act DVD but the live set was shot at different venues - taken from various stages during their Contagion European tour. First, I am amazed with the sonic quality of the live CD. It's so perfect hi-fi-wise and also technically as I don't here any technical glitches as usually I find in live records. Especially, when I played this CD with much more decent stereo set with LOUD volume, I could hear all sounds were produced perfectly, wide dynamic range, with all instruments and vocals can be heard in great details clearly. I don't believe that it's a live record! Second, on performance this live CDs offer much more dynamic and more lively performance of all musicians in the band. Especially, the guitar work by John Mitchell is much more alive and stunning compared to Caught In The Act DVD. Ian Salmon plays his bass wonderfully with some improvisations and inventive notes. WOW!!!!

On Performance

As in the DVD set, the live set begins with an energetic song taken from the Contagion album opener Witch Hunt. The music is delivered by the band lively with more dynamic sound. John Mitchell demonstrates his best skills in delivering high register notes guitar solo throughout the song. I think he is one of the best prog guitarist nowadays. Ian Salmon solid basslines also another place to observe as throughout the song he plays the bass guitar dynamically. Clive Nolan? Who would argue for his killing keyboard fills that characterize the neo-progness of ARENA music? Excellent. Rob Sowden brings his vocal power in his performance. "Exile! You show no mercy .." oh .. what a great lyrical piece and music segment. Mick Pointer plays his drums set wondefully - providing good fills especially during transitions.

The first four-track set is performed continuously and it's something that you should not miss any second of listening to them in its entirety. It's so energetic, so powerful and it has great music flow from Witch Hunt - An Angel Falls - Painted Man - This Way Madness Lies (instrumental). This Way Madness Lies projects an image of true dynamic of the four-track piece. It gives chance to John Mitchell and Ian Salmon demonstrate their work in an attractive way. Stunning!

The band then delivers mellower track Spectre at the Feast with low register notes voice, typical neo prog vein, continued with more uplifting one Skin Game, Salamander. Well, if you are familiar with ARENA you must have known that all tracks listed on CD one is basically coming from Contagion album. It ends up beautifully with Ascension. Disc One is a masterpiece: composition-wise and the band's performance!

Disc Two contains materials from the band's classic tracks of previous albums: The Visitor, Immortal?, Songs from The Lions Cage and Pride. It starts beautifully with Floydian guitar work by John Mitchell with Serenity (The Visitor album). He performs his guitar playing wonderfully: soft touch and great melodies. It continues with my favorite track from Immortal? album Chosen where, again, John Mitchell demonstrates his killing melodies during guitar solo interlude. I have to tell you that I'd rather listen to this live version than the original studio version. It's so LIVEly! Clive Nolan's keyboard solo is much more better here. Bravo Arena!!! Your musicianship represent maturity! "Freedom of speech but you have no voice. Freedom of spirit but we have no choice!". It flows seamlessly to Double Vision with an uplifting mode.

The Hanging Tree is another great track from The Visitor album performed excellently. Another favorite of mine (Don't Forget To) Breathe is also performed wonderfully. It starts beautifully with a musical loop and some soft riffs and powerful vocal line. I like the guitar part after fist lyrical verse. It's rocking man!!! Yeah .!! Arena rulez ..!!! This is the kind of music that's truly memorable. Oh my God . I cannot bear it anymore, it's so stunning! The other follow-up tracks are also excellently performed: The Butterfly Man and Enemy Without (I like the guitar solo at the end of the track). Well, it seems like it's the end of the performance. But, the band adds some other three tracks as its encore: Solomon (13:47), Jericho (6:42), and Crying For Help VII (3:52). Even though Rob was not the original singer of Solomon but he performs wonderfully here. For those who are familiar with early albums of Arena would agree with me on this. It's a great encore!

On DVD Documentary

Disc Three is basically a 40-minute DVD documentary of LIFE ON TOUR. It has only single menu offered here: PLAY. And you can see all various activities of the performance from preparation, execution (the show) and after the show interviews. As with any DVD offer, I always enjoy this documentary. Hey, I live in "rest of the world" country where live performance from prog bands from the west is just a dream that's hard to materialize. So, I always enjoy the live footage: all stage preparation, instrument setups, rehearsals, fans interview about the show, the Y-NOT Volvo truck and the comments of the tour bus driver, lighting technician, video technician, tour manager - all are good views for me. I imagine if they play down here in Jakarta, I will participate of course . But again, for people who live in rest of the world countries and love Arena will find this documentary worth seeing. BTW, throughout the film there are some spots of the live acts by the band in various places.

Summary

I have no single regret at all buying this box set of limited edition (only 10,000 copies printed). Performance wise it's a masterpiece. Selection of tracks is also excellent. Sonic quality is beyond expectation as usually live records have not so good audio quality. This one has excellent dynamic range and you must play it LOUD. Of BTW, the audience handclapping and shouting have also made this set lively. Don't miss this box set. On overall rating, I'm already biased now as I cannot afford to put anything less than full five stars rating. I will not back-off from the view of giving five star and ready to take the blame of biasness. What can I do my friend? It's a terrific set! Keep on proggin' .!

Progressively yours,

GW

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars Arena is a very good live band. They have regularly produced great live recordings and this one is definitely on par with all the previous ones.

This live one is of course pretty much centered on their last studio release "Contagion". It was a very good album, and no less than twelve numbers (out of sixteen) are taken from it. It represents the whole of the first CD. This is only justice to one of their best albums. But Arena has never produced a weak one - IMHHO (in my humble and honest opinion).

Second CD is a great kaleidoscope of their career although I believe that the setlist from the "Immortal" numbers could have been more original. If you except "Breathe", each number played here were present on their previous live album bizarrely called "In Biarritz" (while being recorded in Amsterdam). Actually this live album was recorded in Poland. I would have anticipated that Arena would have chosen The Netherlands to do so since they are extremely popular in this country (as well as in Germany).

Of course the prog interest in Poland (but probably the rock interest in general) is enourmous for this big country (over than forty millions inhabitants) which has been for so long ignored (for the reasons we all know) from the rock concerts. I really believe that their people just deserve to get as much as rock music as possible. And the country has delivered really great prog bands as well.

Two of the three encores do belong to the best Arena's repertoire. "Solomon" and "Jericho" are great rock anthems. It will always be a pleasure to listen to those ones. The last time they were included on a live record was in 1997 for "Welcome To The Stage" (another great live album, BTW).

This double CD set will end with "Crying For Help VII" which is the traditional end of an Arena concert.

I really recommend this live album. It gives a perfect idea of their studio ones. It is also a cheaper way to get into Arena's repertoire. If you get hold of their three live albums so far, you'll get the essence of their whole studio recordings and save some substantial ? or $ or .

An even better investment is to get hold of their DVD "Caught In The Act". It holds the same tracklist + some bonuses for even cheaper (on the marketplace of a well known on-line reseller). Four stars.

Review by Warthur
3 stars A decent live release from the Contagion tour. The band missed a bit of a trick here - whilst it is nice to have an (almost) complete live rendition of the Contagion album as disc 1, they could have made the live show a real treat by reincorporating into the running order the additional songs from the Contagion saga which were trimmed from the studio album and distributed amongst the Contagious and Contagium EPs. Then again, at least disc 2 here offers a decent selection of non-Contagion tracks, even if there is a large overlap with the track selection for their previous two live albums.

One thing Live and Life does particularly well is tease out what makes this era of the band stand out - namely, that whilst they at times seem to be rehashing old ground in the "prog" stakes, they inject a healthy dose of high-energy *RAWK* into the "rock" side of the "neo-prog rock" equation. Your enjoyment of Arena's 2000s releases, I suspect, will largely hinge on whether or not you consider that an improvement by your personal standards and tastes.

5 stars Live & Life is one of my all time favourite live albums. every song on the double CD is presented with skill and passion, and received by an appreciative crowd, giving the whole thing an excellent feel. The tracks have been amply covered in Gatot's review so I won't repeat the list, but will p ... (read more)

Report this review (#100187) | Posted by laghtnans | Friday, November 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARENA "Live & Life "