DROMOLOGY

RIO/Avant-Prog

Inner Ear Brigade Dromology album cover

Buy INNER EAR BRIGADE Music
Studio Album, released in 2016

1. Dark Sleep Fortress (6:40)
2. Black And White Taste (5:56)
3. Shaman Coin Toss (6:51)
4. Bobotut (6:12)
5. Dromology (8:55)
6. Targa Floria (4:22)
7. Birdie In The Wall (6:57)

- Bill Wolter / Guitar
- Chris Lauf / Drums
- Stephen Wright / Electric Bass
- Melody Ferris / Vocals
- Ivor Holloway / Tenor, Alto, and Soprano Saxophone
- Eli Wallace / Keyboards (1,2,4,5)
With:
- Theo Padouvas / Trumpet (1,2,4,5,6)
- Andrew Vernon / Keyboards (3,6,7)
- David Shaff / Trumpet (3,7)
- Aharon Wheels Bolsta / Tabla (5)

Label: AltrOck (CD)
Format: CD, Digital
December 31, 2016 (Digital) July 21, 2017 (CD)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

Buy INNER EAR BRIGADE Dromology Music

DromologyDromology
Altrock 2017
$18.54

More places to buy INNER EAR BRIGADE music online Buy INNER EAR BRIGADE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

INNER EAR BRIGADE Dromology ratings distribution

INNER EAR BRIGADE Dromology reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator
4 stars It's been five years since the wonderful Rainbro but this little gem makes the wait all worthwhile. A little heavier and more serious this time around but the compositional skill and instrumental performances have improved a notch (as if that were possible!)

1. "Dark Sleep Fortress" (6:40) opens the album with a heavier but still avant sound that is fully recognizable for people who are familiar with their previous album, Rainbro. The band is thick and tight! Forgot how much I like these horns and the voice of Melody Ferris. Nice keyboard solo and horn section work in the final two minutes. Unfortunately, the bass line here just gets too old--not enough movement and variation. (8/10)

2. "Black And White Taste" (5:56) avant in a math rock almost THINKING PLAGUE way. Almost feels like a study in whole-band (even vocal) weave using odd time signatures. I have to admit that I don't like it when Melody's voice is used in this way. Great bass, sax, and electric piano work. (8/10)

3. "Shaman Coin Toss" (6:51) nice opening with lots of fast-paced whole-band movement. Almost HAIRCUT ONE HUNDRED energy here. Melody's voice brings us back to solid ground (in a good way) before the horns and fast- play and changes take us in other directions--many! And moving so fast! This is fun! The 1960s Bay Area-style electric solo is unfortunate; turns me off. Piano section is nice, simple, a surprising twist--coupled with a softer side of Melody. FROGG CAFÉ comes to mind here. As with some of the previous album, the mid-song tempo and stylistic changes are a bit mystifying. Still, a pretty amazing composition. (9/10)

4. "Bobotut" (6:12) bouncy, upbeat multi-thread weave with instrument-like vocals mirrored by sax and other horns throughout. Part NORTH SEA RADIO ORCHESTRA, part Astrud & João Gilberto. Gorgeous! Maybe my favorite song on the album! (9.5/10)

5. "Dromology" (8:55) love the winding rondo weave of the separated horns on this with Melody's long drawn out singing notes. (9/10)

6. "Targa Floria" (4:22) horns, repeated electric guitar riff, and Fender Rhodes-like keys fill the opening before the horn section starts doing its magic in several weaves. This is all multi-layered instrumental jazz--a very intricate composition very tightly performed. The horns in the mid-section and second half are quite nostalgic in a BURT BACHARACH-kind of way. A top three for me. (9.5/10)

7. "Birdie In The Wall" (6:57) awesome big-band kind of opening turns into a more intricate staccato weave with Melody Ferris's smooth torch song vocal playing over the top. The second section gives this almost a SWING OUT SISTER sound. I love it! Such a great, smooth song! Definitely another top three song for me. (9.5/10)

The further I get into the album I keep wondering why this wonderful bass player did what he did in the opening song.

4.5 stars; a near-masterpiece of progressive rock music. There's a little feeling of the genius of HOMUNCULUS RES here.

Post a review of INNER EAR BRIGADE "Dromology"