TWILIGHT

Drifting Sun

Drifting Sun Twilight album cover

Buy DRIFTING SUN Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Twilight (The Other Side Of Life) (9:25)
2. Wings Of Hope (5:13)
3. Mystery Of Lies (5:46)
4. Soldiers (7:23)

- Mathieu Spaeter / guitars
- Pat Sanders / keyboards
- Manu Michael / bass
- Will Jones / drums

CD self-released ‎- DS005 (2017, UK)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

DRIFTING SUN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DRIFTING SUN Twilight Music

TwilightTwilight
Imports 2017

More places to buy DRIFTING SUN music online Buy DRIFTING SUN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DRIFTING SUN Twilight ratings distribution

DRIFTING SUN Twilight reviews

3 stars Last Winter was a tough one for me, being on my own for the first time in my life after the separation. So I thought of this brilliant idea of going through my Neo-Prog albums that are 4 stars and up hoping this would give me a lift. Well it didn't work but I sure enjoyed the experience. One album that really stood out for me though was "Safe Asylum" by this band DRIFTING SUN. So yes I was really looking forward to spending some time with their latest this past week. Well spin number one was a disappointment but they often are, trouble was that this just never got better even after 8 spins. I would even go as far to say that the first four tracks from "Safe Asylum" are better than my favourite song on "Twilight". Even the singer didn't quite sound the same to my ears but the bottom line for me is that this just isn't nearly as good as the previous record. I did play "Safe Asylum" tonight for comparison sake.

"Twilight(The Other Side Of Life)" opens with synths as the vocals join in followed by a fairly heavy soundscape. The tempo picks up before 1 1/2 minutes with fast paced vocals. It settles 2 minutes in with organ, guitar, drums and more but it's still fairly heavy. Synths only to follow like the intro then a calm with synths and laid back vocals. A relaxed guitar solo before 4 minutes then the vocals return. It kicks in again and there's some nice vocal arrangements when it calms down again. A beautiful guitar solo before 6 minutes followed by passionate vocals.

"Soldiers" opens with acoustic guitar before relaxed vocals, drums, bass and synths take over. It picks up after 1 1/2 minutes but the focus is on the vocals. A calm with piano only after 3 minutes then the bass joins in followed by vocals around 4 minutes. It kicks in again before 5 minutes with the guitar out front. Spoken words 6 1/2 minutes in as it settles right down. "Wings Of Hope" opens with piano as fragile vocals join in. It kicks in after 2 1/2 minutes with prominent bass, drums and synths with guitar to follow. Passionate vocals a minute later then the tempo picks up.

"Summer Skies" is the longest tune on here as almost 11 minutes and this is my favourite by far, it's not close. Like the previous album this one just has some great melodies and emotion. A feel good track all the way. Atmosphere to start as the bass joins in then drums. Guitar is next then vocals just before a minute. The keys and vocals really move me here. So much emotion. It's building. I like the vocal melodies with vocals 3 minutes in. A change follows as it turns emotional as those vocals really impress. I like how themes are repeated as well. The vocalist gets a little carried away before 5 1/2 minutes like he's on American Idol or something. Kind of funny. An instrumental section follows that goes on and on before the vocals return after 8 minutes and there's that gorgeous melody again before 9 minutes. Nice.

"Mystery Of Lies" has some guitar noodling to start in atmosphere. it kicks into gear with vocals just before 2 minutes. I like this. Acoustic guitar and high pitched vocals only after 2 1/2 minutes then it kicks in again as contrasts continue. "Remedy" opens with piano and drums as the guitar grinds away slowly. Vocals before 1 1/2 minutes and they do get emotional before 3 1/2 minutes. They stop a minute later as the music becomes more urgent sounding.

"Outside" has an orchestral start before it calms right down with atmosphere and keys. Reserved vocals and acoustic guitar a minute in. Keys then strings return as well. It kicks in hard just before 2 minutes with heavy drums then the tempo picks up with fast paced vocals. I'm not into this. Piano only before 4 minutes then it builds with drums, vocals and more.

"Remain" kicks into a full sound rather quickly. Spoken words just before 2 minutes as the instrumental sound stays constant. Vocals are back 2 1/2 minutes in and I like the sound a minute later with piano and drums before the guitar starts to solo. Synths replace the guitar around 4 1/2 minutes. A calm with vocals before 6 minutes but the sound does get fuller.

A pretty good album but no more than 3 stars for me. I'm looking forward though to some of their earlier albums if I can track them down.

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
4 stars

Back in a different life, when I was still working the night shift in a supermarket, and living in an ex-council house in the UK, I used to run a fanzine called Feedback. These were the days before the internet, and as I was one of the few outlets for prog reviews, I used to receive a lot of material from different bands and labels. One of these labels was Musea, and one day they sent me the debut album by Drifting Sun. I said some nice things about them, and I was sent the sophomore release at the end of the Nineties, and then, nothing. Keyboard player Pat Sanders had always been the main man in Drifting Sun, and after some years away he eventually decided to return to the music industry and to resurrect the band name with a brand-new line-up. The third album was released in 2015 (what's sixteen years between friends?), the fourth followed just a year later, and now we are here with the fifth. I haven't heard the intervening albums, but one day out of the blue Pat contacted me again (one advantage of keeping the same email address forever), and asked if I would be interested in hearing what they sounded like today, and now here I am playing Drifting Sun more than 20 years after our paths first crossed.

I deliberately haven't gone back and played the first two albums, although they are still here on my shelves, as I felt that would probably be unfair and I should treat them as a new act. Immediately, what did surprise me were the harmonies and sheer professionalism that pervades this release. It certainly doesn't remind me of what they used to be like, as there is a lot more thought and attention to detail in the arrangements, which are full of space and room for everyone to move and breathe. Although they are different in many ways to Big Big Train, they are the band that they remind me of the most, both in terms of musical construct and how they have moved such a very long way from their roots. ProgArchives list these guys as neo-prog, and at one time that would have been the case, but they have moved far more into the Crossover sub-genre now, and if they were put forward for inclusion now I am sure that is where they would be placed.

They have been heavily influenced by Hogarth-era Marillion, but have managed to stay away from the twee and contribute something that is both interesting and easy to listen to. This is prog that invites the listener in. True, it could never be played just in the background as it might disappear, but when wanting to play music in the evening to sit and relax to then this is almost perfect in many ways. With three albums in three years it is safe to say that Drifting Sun are very much back, and I for one am very glad they are

5 stars Twilight is the brand new album by Drifting Sun, that was released a few days ago, on the 1st of September 2017. It is the band's 5th studio album, and I dare say that, it is their best work by far. I was lucky enough to have the digital version in my hands, almost 2 weeks before the album's off ... (read more)

Report this review (#1779152) | Posted by The Jester | Monday, September 4, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DRIFTING SUN "Twilight"