HEAT

- Wojtek Olszak / keyboards

Released: May 26, 2017 by MJM Music PL
CD: MJM5278
LP: MJM5279LP

Thanks to MChPro for the addition

Buy LION SHEPHERD Heat Music

HeatHeat
LIOSH 2017
$42.80

More places to buy LION SHEPHERD music online Buy LION SHEPHERD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

LION SHEPHERD Heat ratings distribution

LION SHEPHERD Heat reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
5 stars One of the benefits of having built up contacts over the years, is that sometimes I receive albums that I wouldn't have otherwise have come across. One day I was talking to my good friend and fellow writer Olav Bjørnsen in Denmark, and he told me that he had a duplicate of the new album by Lion Shepherd, and would I be interested in hearing it. A while later it turned up in the post, and I was impressed even before hearing it as here was fold out digipak that opened out so it formed a cross, with plenty of information on all sides, the booklet pasted into the top section, and the CD in the middle. A lot of effort and money had gone into this, and it is rare for a band to have that much spent on them unless they are quite special.

I undertook some research, and was somewhat surprised to discover that the guys were Polish, based around singer Kamil Haidar and Mateusz Owczarek (electric guitars, acoustic guitars, Irish bouzouki). They were joined on the album by Łukasz Adamczyk (bass), Sławek Berny (drums, percussion), Kasia Rościńska (backing vocals) and Wojtek Olszak (keyboards). The reason I was surprised was that musically this certainly sounds as if its roots are in the UK and the US as well as the Middle East, and I firmly expected the band to come from one of those two countries. They themselves describe their music as a "mix of world music, trance, progressive rock, blues, and Middle Eastern motifs. In addition to traditional European instruments, there is the Syrian oud lute, the Persian santur, and various Indian and Arabic percussion instruments." It is like nothing else I have ever heard from Poland, mixing and melding styles from many musical forms into something that is layered, polished, melodic and almost poppy on the first hearing, but with percussion and underlying musical motifs that transcend any particular genre or culture.

That this album is a masterpiece is never in doubt, that it is firmly one of my albums of the year is also something that isn't even up for debate. Each song brings a new delight, a new style, a new passion, and is one of those where the class and power shines through from the beginning to the very end. I knew it was special when I saw the packaging, I just didn't know how very special it was. This is essential.

3 stars It's Christmas! And LION SHEPHERD sounds like it could have been one of the titles given to JESUS but it's not. Still he's called the GOOD SHEPHERD and the LION of the tribe of Judah so there's that. LION SHEPHERD are a band out of Poland although you would think they are from the Middle East. They use a variety of ethnic instruments giving us that vibe. It truly is an album that's a bit of a paradox for me though. The acoustic tracks and passages with the ethnic instruments are okay although I'm just not really into acoustic music. When they become electric and more powerful they do bring RIVERSIDE to mind and I'm really into this. The vocals sound so commercial sounding, I just don't like them except when he sings on some of the more powerful songs with reserved vocals bringing Duda to mind. So yeah a bit of a love hate with this one but overall I can't hit 4 stars, I'm just not that into it. Too much that I don't like.

"On The Road Again" features a strummed ethnic instrument that's acoustic as the vocals join in. Drums too in this catchy piece although it's not my thing. Electric guitar before 2 minutes as I hear a hint of SPOCK'S BEARD with the vocals and sound. A toe-tapper and I like the bass around 3 1/2 minutes. "Heat" again starts off with a stringed ethnic instrument with both drums and percussion. Not a fan of the vocals here. A brief electric guitar solo starts before 1 1/2 minutes.

"Code Of Life" features lots of beats with guitar as the vocals join in. Bass to the fore after a minute. It picks up big time before 2 minutes reminding me sadly of some Christian band I used to listen to. Too commercial. I do like the guitar starting before 3 1/2 minutes but it doesn't save the song for me. "When The Curtain Falls" is better than the first three songs but it's still not that great. Contrasts between the mellow and the more powerful sections continue throughout. The harmonies late remind me of Country music.

"Dream On" is where it starts getting good. When I first spun this album I actually stopped it after the second track and sampled the following tracks because I just wasn't into it and wondered if it was mostly acoustic the rest of the way. It wasn't. This is very exotic sounding with percussion and female vocal melodies as the male vocals join in. He sounds like Duda here, so much better. I like this a lot along with those female vocal melodies that really add to the sound here. It's priceless when the electric guitar-like ethnic instrument mimics the vocal melodies that are high pitched from traditional Middle Eastern music. Pretty cool. Love the female vocal melodies that end it too.

"Fall" has some depth to the sound which I like as my speakers vibrate. Sadly when the music kicks in with vocals after 35 seconds it quickly goes down hill because of the vocals. Catchy but too commercial sounding. Not a fan. "Storm Is Coming" opens with drums and acoustic guitar as male vocal melodies join in. Electric guitar too as it becomes more powerful before a minute. Reserved vocals and a calm follow quickly and this sounds better.

"Dazed By Glory" is a top three song for me. Guitar, percussion, bass and reserved vocals. I like this. It becomes heavier 1 1/2 minutes in. That ethnic instrument that is high pitched and guitar-like comes and goes. I'll skip to the last song "Swamp Song" then return to my favourite song on here. So "Swamp Song" has reserved vocals and a catchy acoustic guitar melody with percussion. A full sound follows before 2 minutes but it's still fairly mellow. Nice guitar solo after 4 1/2 minutes.

"Farewell" is by far my favourite song on here and I can only imagine a full album full of songs like this. When it begins it reminds me so much of RIVERSIDE and Duda that I feel a lot of emotion. Absolutely gorgeous. It settles back to a more restrained sound just before a minute. Love when it kicks back in hard at 2 minutes. Some emotion again 3 1/2 minutes in. Electric guitar before 5 minutes and check out the ending and tell me this doesn't sound like Duda.

A mixed bag for my tastes no doubt. Rave reviews can be found all over the Net though so take my thoughts with a grain of salt please. 3 stars.

Post a review of LION SHEPHERD "Heat"