THE SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY

The Tangent

The Tangent The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery album cover

Buy THE TANGENT Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Two Rope Swings (6:32)
2. Dr. Livingstone (I Presume) (11:58)
3. Slow Rust (22:31)
4. The Sad Story Of Lead and Astatine (16:00)
5. A Few Steps Down The Wrong Road (17:31)

Total time 74:32

- Jonas Reingold / bass guitar, double bass

With:
- Boff Whalley / vocals
- Matt Farrow / DJ

Sub-titled "Or: Where Do We Draw The Line Now ?"

Artwork: Mark Buckingham

CD Inside Out Music ‎- IOMSECD 480 (2017, Germany) Digipak SE with a bonus track

2xLP + CD Inside Out Music - 0IO01717 (2017, Germany) Full album on both media

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

THE TANGENT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE TANGENT The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery Music

Slow Rust of Forgotten MachinerySlow Rust of Forgotten Machinery
Imports 2017

TANGENT SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY DIGIPAK CD NEW USD $18.70 Buy It Now 1 day
The Slow Rust of Forgotten Machinery [7/21] by The Tangent (CD, Jul-2017,... USD $11.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery - Tangent (CD Used Like New) USD $12.72 Buy It Now 2 days
The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery [CD] USD $12.41 Buy It Now 2 days
The Slow Rust of Forgotten Machinery [7/21] by The Tangent (Vinyl, Jul-2017,... USD $32.54 Buy It Now 5 days
THE TANGENT - THE SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY * NEW CD USD $25.06 Buy It Now 5 days
The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery - The Tangent - CD USD $19.62 Buy It Now 13 days
TANGENT - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery + BONUS Sealed digipak 2017 USD $16.79 Buy It Now 13 days
The Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery [CD] USD $13.79 Buy It Now 14 days
The Slow Rust of Forgotten Machinery by The Tangent (Vinyl, Jul-2017, 3... USD $44.99 Buy It Now 17 days
THE TANGENT - THE SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY * USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $18.13 Buy It Now 18 days
The Slow Rust of Forgotten Machinery [7/21] by The Tangent (Vinyl, Jul-2017,... USD $22.36 Buy It Now 25 days
The Tangent - Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery [New Vinyl LP] With CD, UK - Impo USD $25.29 Buy It Now 25 days
The Tangent - Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery [New CD] Germany - Import USD $14.36 Buy It Now 25 days
The Tangent - Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery [New CD] Germany - Import USD $25.00 Buy It Now 25 days
THE TANGENT - THE SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY CD NEW+ USD $25.07 Buy It Now 26 days
THE TANGENT - THE SLOW RUST OF FORGOTTEN MACHINERY 2 BLACK VINYL LP+CD NEW+ USD $32.55 Buy It Now 26 days
Tangent Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery (W Cd) (Uk) vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $51.68 Buy It Now 27 days
TANGENT, The - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery - Vinyl (2xLP) USD $28.62 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy THE TANGENT music online Buy THE TANGENT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THE TANGENT The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery ratings distribution

THE TANGENT The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery reviews

Review by Rivertree
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR PSIKE Team & Band Submissions
4 stars Back then the Canterbury homage 'The Music That Died Alone' hit me like lightning, I also thought 'COMM' to be another very recommended album, and now this one convinces right from the first listening session. When recovering from a heart attack in 2015 Andy Tillison's songwriting efforts understandably took a backseat for a while. But as somebody who's focussed on developing and playing sophisticated rock music as no other, he rebounded soon. And obviously felt challenged later on by the political development in Europe. Especially this Brexit affair, a quite exemplary result when some politicians, parties and even complete governments subtly and gradually are encouraging hate and nationalism.

How not to repeat yourself after so much prolific albums since 2002? Firstly, this is a very political album, A Few Steps Down The Wrong Road marks a strong statement due to his recitative. This may not meet everybody's taste. But at least music-wise it's definitely a top-notch result, and very jazz drenched stuff right here again. Furthermore he's effectually flirting with other styles on his albums, for example be it the excellent Pink Floyd oriented 'Aftereugene'. Alternatively, on this occasion, it's definitely Basildonxit, which opens very Lounge/2Step drenched. Well, and he surprisingly even goes the extra mile now when, for what reason ever, dealing with the percussion duties. I'm not sure, be it acoustic, electronic or via keys most likely. Presumably a little of each.

Apart from that Andy has some wellknown compagnions at his side, speaking of Theo Travis, Luke Machin and Jonas Reingold of course, my hero, when it comes to the bass guitar at least! As I'm not really fond of his work with the band Maschine, so much the more I adore Machin's contributions here, also being very present and virtuoso with a range from Gary Boyle to Santana and John Petrucci. If somebody is going to advertise a 2017 award for exceptional songwriting, here we have a strong aspirant waiting for. Another very personal statement, nothing to complain though, as this is always the fact, more or less. Groove, catchiness, complexity, sophistication, meaningfulness, experimentalism - all attributes will apply regarding this album. Is there any more of it?

Review by memowakeman
4 stars Review originally published in www.therocktologist.com

Wonderful!

Since The Tangent's early days I've been fan of their music, they know how to create challenging music with lots of changes, instrumental and vocal passages, vertiginous moments and calm tracks, they also bring a rollercoaster of emotions that touches the symphonic, Canterbury an even heavy side of prog. Andy Tillison and co. are now back this 2017 with an extraordinary album that once again shows their inherent and endless talent, an ambitious 6-track release with 4 long epics and 2 short tracks that will make you have over an hour of great prog rock. I must say that I personally have a bit trouble with albums this long, I always prefer a length minus 50 minutes, but with The Tangent I can let that rule slip away.

The album opens with "Two Rope Swings" which has a delicate sound, sweet vocals and a beautiful piano. Little by little more instruments join, calm flute, acoustic guitar, soft bass and drums. The sound is really gentle, easy to dig and easy to make you feel comfortable. Then at minute 2:30 keyboards appear so does the symphonic sound, so you have to be prepared to start a great journey and leave The Tangent guide you. "Doctor Livingstone (I Presume)" is the first (and shortest, by the way) epic of the album. The musicians have nothing to prove; we all know they are amazing, so in every single minute of the song (and album) we will feel satisfied. When asked what progressive rock is, I could easily play a The Tangent song, this instrumental one might be a great example, due to its great passages, the changes in time and mood, the use of symphonic, jazzy and classical elements, and much more. The song runs so gentle that in a blink of an eye it has already finished. The Canterbury-esque essence is provided here at its best.

Man, what a long and amazing track "Slow Rust" is, Tillison, Reingold, Travis and co have done one hell of a track (and an album). Vocals return here in an incredible labyrinth of emotions, tricks and dungeons where our ears and soul will be trapped for over 20-minutes, and let me say that you will not wish to find the exit, you will happily accept the musical seclusion. Lush keyboards and great bass lines can be found here; it is like a TV series with its chapters, the music is changing and creating different passages that naturally match with its predecessor. There are no weak moments, of course there are ones I enjoy more but I cannot ask for more. "The Sad Story of Lead and Astatine" continues with these examples of challenging compositions full of a cascade of changes, textures and nuances. The work of Travis here is beautiful and of course, Reingold always (but really, always) create the best bass lines for what the music needs.

"A Few Steps Down The Wrong Road" opens with a calm minute but then all of a sudden it explodes and becomes rockier and a bit heavier. The intensity increases and a sense of tension can be felt while a powerful symphonic sound surrounds us. As usual the song has different changes so we then listen to calm passages and minutes later it returns with more intensity. Great! The album finishes with "Basildonxit" which is the shortest composition here. As you can notice by my words, The Tangent has not let us down and I can actually say this this is my favorite release of their from this current decade, hands down. This last track is very different; it includes electronics sounds made by a DJ while keyboards work normally creating nuances. Then the symphonic explosion comes, strings, drums and keys work together in a wonderful work of art with some Floydian guitar, a jazzy funky sound and that great use of electronic background. A great way to finish a magnificent album!

The Tangent is of course, one of the bands I want to see the most on stage, and if everything goes normal, I would be able to do so next Progtoberfest at Chicago.

Enjoy it!

5 stars I must say that it is not easy to describe the music of The Tangent because it is quite unique. Many of the songs open with a beautiful melancholy melody which is reprised throughout what tend to be long tracks, interspersed with up-tempo jazz rock and further enhanced by intelligent, poignant and s ... (read more)

Report this review (#1766226) | Posted by CeeJayGee | Wednesday, July 26, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I always expect a high quality progressive rock album with every release from The Tangent, and The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery is no exception. Andy Tillison is one of the best keyboard players in the business, so I always describe his playing as electric. Like other Tangent releases, The Slo ... (read more)

Report this review (#1745498) | Posted by javajeff | Saturday, July 22, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE TANGENT "The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery"