GRIMSPOUND

Big Big Train Grimspound album cover

Buy BIG BIG TRAIN Music
Studio Album, released in 2017

1. Brave Captain (12:37)
2. On The Racing Line (5:12)
3. Experimental Gentlemen (10:01)
4. Meadowland (3:36)
5. Grimspound (6:56)
6. The Ivy Gate (7:27)
7. A Mead Hall In Winter (15:20)
8. As The Crow Flies (6:44)

Total time 67:53

Search BIG BIG TRAIN Grimspound lyrics

Search BIG BIG TRAIN Grimspound tabs

- David Longdon / lead & backing vocals, flute, melodica, electric & acoustic guitars, banjo, piano, celesta, synth, mandolin, lute, percussion
- Dave Gregory / electric & 12-string guitars
- Andy Poole / acoustic guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
- Rikard Sjöblom / guitar, keyboards (8), backing vocals
- Danny Manners / keyboards, double bass
- Rachel Hall / violin, viola, cello, backing vocals, string arrangements
- Greg Spawton / bass, bass pedals, backing vocals
- Nick D'Virgilio / drums, percussion, backing vocals

With:
- Judy Dyble / vocals (6)
- Philip Trzebiatowski / cello (2)

Artwork: Sarah Ewing

CD English Electric Recordings ‎- EERCD0019 (2017, UK)

2xLP Plane Groovy - PLG050 (2017, UK)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

BIG BIG TRAIN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BIG BIG TRAIN Grimspound Music

GrimspoundGrimspound
Imports 2017

More places to buy BIG BIG TRAIN music online Buy BIG BIG TRAIN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BIG BIG TRAIN Grimspound ratings distribution

BIG BIG TRAIN Grimspound reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Prog Team
5 stars Over the last few years Big Big Train have been making a real name for themselves in the prog world, but I have missed out on the last few albums, so haven't really been fully aware of what has been going on. To me they will always be special, the first band ever to send me something to review, and I still have that 1991 demo tape, 'From The River To The Sea', and I am looking at it now. My brain has real issues in understanding that this small independently recorded and released cassette is the same band who are now playing this incredibly complex and professional music that is coming out of my speakers. True, there have been one or two line-up changes over the years, and they have gone from a five-piece to an octet, but Andy Poole and Greg Spawton were there at the very beginning, and they are still there now (while then-drummer Steve Hughes has separately gone on to be a recording artist in his own right).

It is interesting to note not only the people in the band, but the instruments being played, as it does give an insight into the complex and layered nature of the music. These days it is David Longdon (lead and backing vocals, flute, acoustic guitar, mandolin, percussion), Dave Gregory (guitars), Andy Poole (acoustic guitar, mandolin, keyboards, backing vocals), Rikard Sjöblom (keyboards, guitars, accordion, backing vocals), Danny Manners (keyboards, double bass), Rachel Hall (violin, viola, cello, lead and backing vocals, string arrangements), Greg Spawton (bass, bass pedals, acoustic guitar, backing vocals) and Nick D'Virgilio (drums, percussion, lead and backing vocals). If that wasn't enough, they have the one and only Judy Dyble guesting on vocals on one number as well.

I will never forget Greg making a beeline for me when he saw me in a pub in Winchester as he wanted to know what I thought about their new album, and I had to admit that I didn't like it as I felt they had moved too far away from their sound and it was nothing like I expected to hear from BBT (I later changed my mind after I had played it some more, honest). But, this is not a release that I would ever have expected to hear from the Dorset boys, as this is something of incredible depth and layers. I think one of the things that really makes this album work so much for me is that it is obvious that everyone involved is a master of their craft, but they are all incredibly restrained and working together to provide what is right for the music. I have been lucky to see Nick play live with Spock's Beard numerous times, and have many albums on which he has performed, but this must be the most laid-back I have ever heard him. In many ways, the lead instrument is that of Rachel, but it only works as it does due to the backdrop that is provided against it ? which can be a 'simple' acoustic guitar, or something far more powerful.

Dave Longdon has a wonderful voice, and it his vocals, combined with the melodies and instrumentation that makes this a very special album indeed. According to ProgArchives they released the best live album of 2016, and I would have thought that the chances of this being the top 2017 studio album are very high indeed. I was one of the very first reviewers of their music, and back in December 1991 I said, "If you like Genesis (prog not pop), Galahad or Marillion, then this is the band for you". More than twenty- five years on, I am pleased to amend that, and just say that here is a band for lovers of all great music, whatever the genre. Superb.

4 stars Excellent! Close to 5 Stars. More lively and diverse an album than Folklore, Grimspound is a welcome addition to the BBT catalogue. It keeps with the now-established mature BBT sound (and thus also BBT formula), but with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting, and to differentiate it fr ... (read more)

Report this review (#1743316) | Posted by Walkscore | Thursday, July 13, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Personally speaking, I think that Big Big Train reached the top with the release with the English Electric 1&2 albums, but the release of Folklore was a major step back. Grimspound is the new album of this very talented Englsih band, which comes one year after Folklore. I was kind of disappo ... (read more)

Report this review (#1722466) | Posted by The Jester | Wednesday, May 17, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Having discovered BBT only 5 years ago, I have fallen under their spell and so it was with much anticipation that I looked forward to this new album. When it was declared that there would be no brass on this release, I thought that it was a brave move given how unique that sound is. I am very pl ... (read more)

Report this review (#1721947) | Posted by eastcoastracer | Monday, May 15, 2017 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Yet another beautiful release from Big Big Train, but I admit I was concerned throughout the first track, "Brave Captain", which seemed overly repetitious, without enough going for it to merit it's 12-minute length. However, my concern immediately dissipated with the next track, "On The Racing L ... (read more)

Report this review (#1716822) | Posted by snelling | Tuesday, May 2, 2017 | Review Permanlink

5 stars It's easy to become an immediate fan of Big Big Train. They truly have a very accessible, crossover sound -- a band that answers the desires of Gabriel-era Genesis fans who always wanted to know what would happen if Phil never took over and went 80s pop synth. I became a fan of BBT with English E ... (read more)

Report this review (#1716777) | Posted by buddyblueyes | Tuesday, May 2, 2017 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BIG BIG TRAIN "Grimspound"