KOGEL MOGEL

- Skjalg Reithaug / guitars, vocals
- Anders Hunstad / drums, keys, vocals
- Lars Andreas Haug / tuba, trumpet, vocals

With:
- Grzech Piotrowski / saxophone (4-6)
- LAH / Bydgoszcz clarinet, Kala ukulele bass (9)

LP Sotanic Sounds SOTLP503 (2016 Norway)

Thanks to The Bearded Bard for the addition

SOT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SOT Kogel Mogel Music

More places to buy SOT music online Buy SOT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SOT Kogel Mogel ratings distribution

SOT Kogel Mogel reviews

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams
4 stars The SOTanic guys are back. The Crimsonian atmospheres are still there, but the music is less fragmented than on the first two albums and this is an aprreciate improvement. Since the first track the impression is of an album a little darker than the previous one, on which there's still some fun, enhanced by the crazyness brought in by the tuba, which in this band replaces excellently the bass.

In the first track, as example, there's an interlude whose melody would be trivial but its highly distorted. The a- capella choir on the second track is another funny interlude in aa apparently chaotic track dominated by the tuba but on which at the same time drums and guitar often play at unison with it.

The same happens on track 3, where the crazy interlude is played by the vocies and guitar and tuba play unison until a drastic change into grotesque after 2 minutes.

I go ahead track by track, but I'm already too synthetic. There's really a lot going on even if a less than 4 minutes track.

Track 4 proceeds darkly and soft. The jazz imprinting is more than evident. It brings me to a smoky club in a dark rainy night. The guest saxophonist Grzech Piotrowski deserves a mention.

Of course after a track like that we need to wake up. Don't ask me what the signature is on track 5. If irrational numbers could be used for signatures, this could be one...Again the sax helps moving toward more jazzy environments, but the basis of the track is again Crimsonian.

The trilogy of tracks guesting the sax ends with track 6. This time it's like we moved to Canterbury, This track reminds me to the early GonG, those of the instrumental parts of Angel's Egg but with a touch of darkness that GonG didn't have. The guitar riff in the final part of the track, with somebody vocalizing like a trumpet is remarkable.

If anybody wants to hear what a tuba can do, the initial part of track 8 clarifies it. The track itself is the first completely fun, without the darkness of the rest of the album.

Track 8 starts like a military march. If it wasn't for the singing closer to GonG than to the operatic vocals of Magma, I could have said "borderline to Zeuhl", but no. It's SOT and nothing else. The reason why I mention other bands is just to give an idea, but this is an original band and this song is crazy. The choir is crazy and hypnotic backed by drums first and guitar later.

The album says that some LAH guests on track 9 playing clarinet and some Kala Ukulele bass (whatever it is). I suspect the guy behind is Lars Andreas Haug (LAH are the initials). The absence of percussion and the quietness of the major chords made me think to the Camel of Rain Dances. A very nice album closure that doesn't have anything to do with the rest.

Let's spend few words for the great instrumental skill of this trio, too.

The previous releases were both excellent, but this one is even better. Surely an excellent addition to any prog collection.

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Pretty nice, quirky and interesting!

I would like to thank Skjalg Reithaug for contacting me and introducing me to the world of SOT, this trio than in 2016 produced their third studio album entitled Kogel Mogel, whose dogma is: "all music is to be recorded live without any overdubs." This is a short release in which the band offers 9 tracks and a total time of 34 minutes in which we can feel an obvious sense of craziness and fun that are spread through guitar, drums, trumpets and vocals, mainly, accompanied by some other instruments.

The first song is "Tømmer" and I bet the vocals will be the first thing that hit your mind and memory here, they are funny. The work of the tuba is great, because it produces the sound of a bass guitar, of course one can notice is not a bass, but I, at least, don't miss it. This extraordinary work is present in "Salt 3/4", in moments reminding me a bit of Primus. The guitars and drums are great as well, I assume the name of Frank Zappa is truly familiar for the musicians. "Kjede Tegn" has a friendly repetitive rhythm that might be considered rock or avant-rock, sometimes guitars sound heavier which is great; and later they make a change, it is a bit slower but the presence of "fun" is inherent and that is more evident where the vocals appear.

In the next 3 songs the band introduces us to a new element, a sax player who creates new nuances and of course, change a little bit the direction of the music. "Strøsalt" is a slow track, with a jazzy feeling in which the sax is the main element. "Ekspertgraad" is a more explosive track that truly contrasts with its predecessor. Here there is a cool communion between drums, guitars, sax and tuba, all is fast at an unison, all is great. The sax participation finishes with "Ind", a song that is much different than the previous two (all of them are different, by the way). This time they produce a sexy and spacey sound

"Commandore" has an explosive start, with some rock and avant garde elements that are fulfilled by jazzy nuances and the fun element, adding even a kind of march sound at the end. "Byttomfot" starts with a new marching sound, drums, tuba and voices; later guitar joins, produce new elements with different tempo but then return for a split moment to the marching sound. This is a pretty cool track that I have enjoyed a lot, interesting and odd. The album finishes with "Elma", a relaxing song, I don't know if it could even fit under the new age genre, but it is totally different to the previous songs. This is atmospheric and peaceful. A song that clearly says goodbye and thanks.

Listen to it! You can have half an hour of good and different music that may open your mind, but I have to be honest and say that I would like to see some longer songs with more power, something that this album lacks in moments.

Enjoy it!

Post a review of SOT "Kogel Mogel"