DEAD END KINGS

Katatonia Dead End Kings album cover

Buy KATATONIA Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. The Parting (04:52)
2. The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here (03:52)
3. Hypnone (04:07)
4. The Racing Hearts (04:06)
5. Buildings (03:28)
6. Leech (04:23)
7. Ambitions (05:07)
8. Undo You (04:56)
9. Lethean (04:39)
10. First Prayers (04:28)
11. Dead Letters (04:49)

Total time 48:47

Search KATATONIA Dead End Kings lyrics

Search KATATONIA Dead End Kings tabs

- Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström / Bass, Keyboards, Guitar, Programming, Vocals (backing)
- Jonas Renkse / Drums, Vocals (lead), Programming, Guitars, Keyboards
- Daniel Liljekvist / Drums, Percussion
- Per Eriksson / guitars
- Niklas Sandin / bass

Guests:
- Silje Wergeland / Vocals (track 2)

Recorded at Ghost Ward & The City of Glass in February, May 2012.
Released by Peaceville Records.

Thanks to Prog Sothoth for the addition
and to mellotron storm for the last updates

KATATONIA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KATATONIA Dead End Kings Music

Dead End KingsDead End Kings
PEACEVILLE 2017

KATATONIA-Dead End Kings (UK IMPORT) VINYL LP NEW USD $25.95 Buy It Now 2 days
KATATONIA - DEAD END KINGS NEW CD USD $16.94 Buy It Now 2 days
katatonia -dead end kings-rare sold out box USD $88.18 [0 bids]
Katatonia - Dead End Kings [New CD] USD $13.74 Buy It Now 3 days
Katatonia 'Dead End Kings' Gatefold 2x12" 180g Vinyl - NEW USD $26.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Katatonia - Dead End Kings [New CD] USD $13.87 Buy It Now 3 days
Katatonia 'Dead End Kings' Gatefold 2x12" Vinyl - NEW USD $26.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KATATONIA LOGO TOTE BAG x 2 NEW OFFICIAL DEAD END KINGS NIGHT IS THE NEW DAY USD $6.60 Buy It Now 4 days
KATATONIA-Dead End Kings VINYL LP NEW USD $33.18 Buy It Now 4 days
Dead End Kings - Katatonia 8010568402262 (CD Used Like New) USD $12.18 Buy It Now 8 days
KATATONIA-DEAD END KINGS CD NEW USD $26.03 Buy It Now 9 days
KATATONIA dead end kings 2014 - circular WOVEN SEW ON PATCH official merchandise USD $6.60 Buy It Now 11 days
Katatonia Sew On Patches NEW OFFICIAL 2 designs to choose from USD $4.96 Buy It Now 11 days
Dead End Kings by Katatonia (CD, Jul-2014) USD $10.96 Buy It Now 12 days
Katatonia - Dead End Kings DLP #74419 USD $35.02 Buy It Now 14 days
Dead End Kings by Katatonia CD August 2012 Peaceville Records USA USD $16.95 Buy It Now 14 days
KATATONIA Dead End Kings (CD 2012) Heavy Metal Album 11 Songs USD $11.61 Buy It Now 16 days
Dead End Kings by Katatonia. USD $25.82 Buy It Now 16 days
KATATONIA - Dead End Kings - VINYL 2LP (Peaceville Records 2012) USD $34.99 Buy It Now 17 days
KATATONIA DEAD END KINGS SEALED CD NEW 2014 USD $8.52 Buy It Now 19 days
KATATONIA DEAD END KINGS BRAND NEW SEALED CD 2014 USD $11.84 Buy It Now 19 days
Dead End Kings - Katatonia - Vinyl LP - New USD $40.31 Buy It Now 20 days
KATATONIA - DEAD END KINGS, 2012 EU LIMITED EITION 180G vinyl 2LP, NEW - SEALED! USD $28.99 Buy It Now 22 days
Dead End Kings - Katatonia - Vinyl LP - Used USD $79.58 Buy It Now 23 days
KATATONIA - DEAD END KINGS USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $24.05 Buy It Now 24 days
KATATONIA - DEAD END KINGS NEW CD USD $26.02 Buy It Now 24 days
KATATONIA DEAD END KINGS CD NEW USD $7.45 Buy It Now 24 days
Official Licensed Merchandise Woven Sew-on Patch Rock KATATONIA Dead End Kings USD $6.76 Buy It Now 25 days
Dead End Kings by Katatonia (Vinyl, Aug-2012, 2 Discs, Peaceville Records (USA)) USD $30.40 Buy It Now 27 days
Dead End Kings - Katatonia LP USD $33.10 Buy It Now 27 days
Katatonia - Dead End Kings GER 2LP 2012 FOC Still Sealed Doom Prog /1* USD $39.99 Buy It Now 27 days

More places to buy KATATONIA music online Buy KATATONIA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

KATATONIA Dead End Kings ratings distribution

KATATONIA Dead End Kings reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Dead End Kings" is the 9th full-length studio album by Swedish metal act Katatonia. The album was released through Peaceville Records in August 2012. Since the release of "Night Is the New Day (2009)", there have been a few lineup changes as Fredrik Norrman (guitars) and Matthias Norrman (bass) have left the band. "Dead End Kings" was therefore recorded as a trio with Anders Nyström handling bass, keyboards, guitars, programming and backing vocals, Jonas Renkse handling lead vocals, programming, guitars, keyboards and drums, and Daniel Liljekvist handling drums and percussion. The album also features a guest vocal performance by Silje Wergeland (The Gathering) on the track "The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here".

The music on the album pretty much continues where "Night Is the New Day (2009)" left off. Which means a dark, melancholic, and emotional type of rock/metal that has Katatonia written all over it. While Jonas Renkse possesses a relatively "regular" voice, the paatos filled/emotional delivery of his vocals has always been something special. Here is a man who bleeds melancholy and who is able to greatly impact the listener with his singing. You have to be in the mood for it though, as he sometimes borders the pathetic. The instrumental side of the music features a lot of dark/light effects and dynamics between heavy loud parts and mellower more quiet parts. As such nothing new when it comes to Katatonia. It´s a sound they have fine tuned and developed upon since "Viva Emptiness (2003)". Keyboards/synths take a prominent role on some tracks and the music also features tight rhythms and both heavy chugging riffs and dynamic clean guitar work.

To my ears tracks like "The Parting", "The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here", "Hypnone", "Buildings", and "Dead Letters" are some of the highlights, but "Dead End Kings" is quality wise a consistent album. It´s also very well produced, featuring a clear, detailed, and powerful sounding production, which suits the material perfectly. While "Dead End Kings" is undeniably yet another high quality release by Katatonia, I do feel it´s time that the band try something radically new. "Dead End Kings" is a great album but it´s also a very "safe" album, and I´m missing a bit of an edge or maybe a more adventurous spirit to set the album apart from the last couple of albums by the band. Isolated seen "Dead End Kings" fully deserves a 4 star (80%) rating though.

3 stars It took me a while to warm up to the previous album "Night Is The New Day" because of how mainstream some of it was, but in the end it became a solid 4 stars and one I enjoy a lot. That's the album Mikael Akerfeldt said was possibly the strongest metal release he's heard in the last 10 years. "Dead End Kings" sees the band going further down the commercial road but this time it's too far for my tastes. Sure there's lots to like but overall 3 stars is all I can give it. Big changes in the lineup as well for the first time in many years as the Norrman brothers(guitar/ bass) have left the band to be replaced by Per Eriksson and Niklas Sandin respectively. So still a five piece with a three guests helping out with percussion, keyboards and vocals including THE GATHERINGS Silje Wergeland who adds the vocals. Travis Smith has out-done himself with some outstanding art work that I've spent quite a bit of time enjoying. Love the bleak themes Travis uses and the use of trees and crows especially. It might be his best with the band even better than the cover art and the art in the liner notes from the "Black Sessions" compilation recording.

"The Parting" opens with strings and orchestral sounds as vocals then a powerful sound kick in. It's brief though as reserved vocals, strings and drums take over, piano as well. The powerful and mellow are contrasted throughout. "The One You Are Looking For Is Not Here" is laid back but with a powerful undercurrent at times. Silje guests on vocals here but just accompanying Jonas unfortunately. We get strings and piano here as well. An okay tune. "Hypnone" opens with strummed guitar and piano to start as the drums and bass kick in, riffs follow. It settles when the vocals arrive. An emotional chorus and the title of the album is quoted in the lyrics in this song.

"The Racing Hearts" is a commercial, almost ballad-like tune but man it's emotional. Jonas sounds like Seal on this one strangely enough and I almost feel guilty liking it(haha). It's more powerful on the chorus but what a gorgeous track. "Buildings" might be the heaviest track on the album. I like the bass in this one. "Leech" opens with piano and atmosphere as reserved vocals join in followed by drums. I'm not too into this until that melancholic solo guitar arrives. So good and it reminds me of the guitar on OPETH's "Damnation" album. It turns heavy then themes are repeated including that melancholic guitar solo. Nice.

"Ambitions" is a killer for me because of the lyrics. Too close to home(gulp). The vocals are emotional along with the lyrics and I do like the more powerful sound after 1 1/2 minutes. "Undo You" features plenty of piano and it does get a little heaver at times but I'm not into this one. "Lethean" and the following 2 tracks end the album on a high for me. This one is powerful right off the hop but it settles when the vocals arrive and contrasts will continue throughout. A ripping guitar solo 3 minutes in has me smiling.

"First Prayers" is interesting lyrically as I've enjoyed reading them over and over. This one kicks some ass as well which I appreciate. Check out the minute long instrumental section starting 2 1/2 minutes in. "Dead Letters" is a great way to end the album as we get some desperate sounding spoken vocals to start as the sound builds. Jonas starts to sing as it settles back then it kicks in hard again. Nice. I can't get over how much the piano sounds like PORCUPINE TREE later on, it makes me feel good every time I hear it.

Not since the first time I heard "Tonight's Decision" have I been so disappointed over a KATATONIA album. But when a band changes their sound as KATATONIA have done a few times over their careers your going to lose and gain fans. By the way I don't own the next album by these Swedes because it's basically an acoustic version of this record and I've made it known many times that unplugged or acoustic albums do little for me.

Post a review of KATATONIA "Dead End Kings"