DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT: TRANSCENDENCE

Disc 1 (64:19)
1. Truth (4:47)
2. Stormbending (5:22)
3. Failure (6:02)
4. Secret Sciences (7:28)
5. Higher (9:40)
6. Stars (4:18)
7. Transcendence (5:55)
8. Offer Your Light (3:58)
9. From the Heart (8:23)
10. Transdermal Celebration (8:26)

Disc 2 (42:46)
1. Gump (5:24)
2. Celestial Signals (demo) (5:02)
3. Support the Cause (demo) (4:31)
4. Into the Sun (demo) (3:11)
5. Time Overload (demo) (4:00)
6. Lexus (demo) (5:14)
7. Farther On (demo) (2:51)
8. Victim (demo) (3:09)
9. MonkeyMind (demo) (3:52)
10. Canucklehead (demo) (2:09)
11. Loud (3:23)

- Julie Nadalini / chorus vocals
- Marina Bennett / chorus vocals
- Mattias Eklund / sounds

Artwork: Anthony Clarkson

CD Inside Out Music ‎- IOMCD 462 (2016, Europe)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

DEVIN TOWNSEND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Original Album Collection: Discovering DevinOriginal Album Collection: Discovering Devin
Imports 2016
AddictedAddicted
Inside Out Music 2012
DeconstructionDeconstruction
Inside Out Music 2012
Ocean MachineOcean Machine
Imports 2010

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT-TRANSCENDENCE-JAPAN CD Bonus Track F56 USD $26.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT-TRANSCENDENCE -JAPAN CD Bonus Track Ltd/Ed G88 USD $31.50 Buy It Now 2 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence + 3 JAPAN CD Steve Vai Strapping Young Lad USD $25.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Transcendence [Bonus Disc] [Digipak] by Devin Townsend Project (CD, Sep-2016) USD $15.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Devin Townsend Project VIP Embroirdered Canvas Messenger Bag - DTP Transcendence USD $5.37 [4 bids]
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence +3 JAPAN 2CD Steve Vai Strapping Young Lad USD $31.80 Buy It Now 6 days
Transcendence (Limited Edition/2Cd) DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND CD USD $36.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Transcendence DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND CD USD $34.00 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECTáTranscendence 2017 UK Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 01 USD $4.46 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECTáTranscendence 2017 UK Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 01 USD $6.38 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECTáTranscendence 2017 UK Tour PHOTO Print POSTER Shirt CD 01 USD $19.15 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND - TRANSCENDENCE 2 CD NEW+ USD $24.68 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND - TRANSCENDENCE CD NEW+ USD $22.02 Buy It Now 7 days
DEVIN PROJECT TOWNSEND - TRANSCENDENCE 2 VINYL LP+CD NEW+ USD $30.15 Buy It Now 8 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Transcendence - Vinyl (2xLP) USD $29.30 Buy It Now 9 days
TAIWAN OBI 2-CD: Devin Townsend Project Transcendence - Deluxe Edition (2016) USD $25.68 Buy It Now 10 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence with Bonus Tracks JAPAN CD USD $26.80 Buy It Now 11 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence with Bonus Tracks JAPAN 2 CD EDITION USD $32.80 Buy It Now 11 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT TRANSCENDENCE 2 CD DIGIPAK NEW USD $25.49 Buy It Now 11 days
Devin Townsend Project "Transcendence" LP USD $22.00 Buy It Now 12 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT CD - TRANSCENDENCE [2CD DELUXE EDITION](2016) - NEW USD $14.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT CD - TRANSCENDENCE (2016) - NEW UNOPENED - ROCK USD $13.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Transcendence by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project. USD $15.16 Buy It Now 14 days
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence - UK CD album 2016 USD $16.60 Buy It Now 14 days
Transcendence [9/9] * by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project (CD, Sep-2016,... USD $13.32 Buy It Now 15 days
Transcendence [9/9] by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project (CD, Sep-2016,... USD $10.37 Buy It Now 15 days
Devin Townsend Project-Transcendence VINYL NEW USD $29.33 Buy It Now 15 days
NEW DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT Transcendence Taiwan 2 CD w/OBI 2016 Steve Vai USD $26.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Devin Project Townsend - Transcendence USD $14.78 Buy It Now 16 days
Transcendence by Devin Townsend Project (Inside Out Music,Rock,Pop) [Vinyl] NEW USD $32.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Transcendence [LP/CD] by Devin Townsend Project. USD $25.77 Buy It Now 18 days
Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence Deluxe Edition (NEW 2CD) USD $16.92 Buy It Now 20 days
Transcendence [Digipak] by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project. USD $17.98 Buy It Now 20 days
Transcendence [LP/CD] by Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project (Vinyl,... USD $20.21 Buy It Now 20 days
Devin Townsend Project Transcendence CD 2 Disc Deluxe Edition Progressive Metal USD $21.43 Buy It Now 27 days
DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Transcendence (+2 free promo compilation CDs!!!) USD $13.90 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy DEVIN TOWNSEND music online Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DEVIN TOWNSEND Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence ratings distribution

DEVIN TOWNSEND Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team
2 stars Sounds like Devy. Feels like Devy. It is Devy! No matter how many times I hear pleas of Devin Townsend's "variation" and "eclectic" or "chameleonic" sound experimentations I always hear . . . Devin Townsend. With each song, on each album I struggle to hear Devy's murky though often beautiful vocals (and interesting lyrics) among the ubiquitous walls of guitar sound--or else I'm faced with his screaming approach which always makes me wonder why he has to scream: Is his screaming so necessary for the effective delivery of his subject matter? This album is, to my ears, no different. The songs' chord progressions are as constant and monotonous as ever. The existence of any other instrument other than guitar (and drums) is, as usual, completely drowned out (by the guitars). (And people actually like this!) I don't get it. With each song I open my ears, my mind, my heart--I find myself thinking, "This has been getting great reviews--great praise--maybe this is the album that will turn me," or "This might turn out to be great!" or "This might get better" or "He's singing about something important" or "He's so intelligent!" but each time I am only let down; each time I find that I'm just making excuses. "Other people love this so I must be missing something! What is it? What is the key to accessing the joy, love, admiration, and respect for Devin Townsend's music?" 'cuz, try as I do--over and over and over again--I'm not getting it. If I were writing songs to accompany these lyrical messages I would be choosing music of a very different nature. If I were singing the lyrics of these relevant and 'important' messages that I want to get out to large audiences I would not be choosing such an abrasive delivery style. But that's just me. People also go to great lengths to extoll the engineering and production of Devin's albums. I'm just not sure how the delivery of song after song of hazy, murky, fuzzy, affrontery constitutes great production. As I've mused before: I wonder what happens to water molecules (Emoto), plants (Thomkins and Bird), and human brains (Tomatis, Monroe, Gass, et al.) with repeated or constant exposure to this type of music. Another album gets dumped into my "Devin Townsend--try again later" pile . . . . Maybe someday I'll get it. After all, I finally got Gentle Giant! (... after 35 years)
Review by FragileKings
3 stars "Transcendence" is the seventh installment in the Devin Townsend Project discography and was released earlier this month. After a highly prolific release period from 2009 to 2014, which included the original four DTP albums, a live album, a box set of the four albums and live album and two discs of bonus material, a fifth DTP album "Epicloud", the Casualties of Cool album that had a special edition with an extra disc of bonus material, and the double album of DTP's "Sky Blue" and the Ziltoid sequel "Zed Squared", Devin Townsend prepared for a live performance of Ziltoid at the Albert Hall and then took a much-needed rest. On his web site he wrote that he had several ideas brewing for new albums including a project where he would play only bass guitar and another project that would include an Icelandic choir among other things. No matter what was to come, no one could be sure exactly what the Mad Man of Metal was going to do next, especially after surprise albums like "Ki", "Ghost" and "Casualties of Cool" which were so different from his more established, very loud wall of sound, aggressive pop metal approach.

At first I was a little disappointed with this album because it was exactly another installment in the very loud wall of sound aggressive pop metal approach. As we've heard on albums like "Terria", "Infinity", "Epicloud" and even "Zed Squared", Devin and the band play loud and layered heavy guitar music with a triad of screamed vocals that could make a poltergeist crap itself, soaring operatic vocals, and gentle vocals that could put a cranky baby to sleep. Guest vocalist Anneke Van Giersbergen, a regular on DTP releases, appears once again, though this time she takes less of a lead role than on "Addicted" and "Sky Blue". The music is generally a blend of aggressive heavy music and variations of adult contemporary progressive pop (by that I mean no bee-bop, bubble gum pop) but all filtered through the concept of overcoming lack of confidence and a tendency toward self-deprecation, hence the title and theme of "Transcendence".

As with "Epicloud" and perhaps even more so with "Sky Blue", the ultra heavy/aggro sound that Devin is known for at times is restrained here and only brought out in special moments that require that angst effect. There's actually a lot of acoustic guitar here compared to the other two albums mentioned above in this paragraph and even when the heavy electric guitars are thundering away it's possible to pick out the strummed acoustic guitar in some tracks. By the end of the album there's a noticeable change in direction toward lighter music with some very pleasing and beautiful moments. Of course, Devin's music often has what I call the audio equivalent of the swimming pool chlorine effect, which is because when I was a kid, after coming out of the pool I could see hazy rainbows around any light sources because of the chlorine in the water. Devin's mixing approach has a hazy, nebulous, echoing cloud of sound around the vocals, keyboards and guitars, and there's no exception here.

As I stated earlier, I was originally disappointed and that was because I had been expecting possibly hearing something really new and refreshing instead of what I quickly concluded was part three in the trilogy of "new" DTP albums that includes "Epicloud" and "Sky Blue". Remember that the original concept of the Devin Townsend Project was to release four distinctly different albums which is what we got with "Addicted", "Ki", "Deconstruction", and "Ghost". These latter three follow a more similar formula which could be considered the Devin Townsend style of the 2010's. However, after the third and fourth listen through, I found myself enjoying this new album more. It also made me want to go back and listen to a variety of songs from Devin's catalogue and I listened to a 58-song mixed playlist that also included songs from his other band, the defunct extreme metal outfit Strapping Young Lad. Thinking about it now, "Transcendence" is very much a Devin Townsend album.

I bought the special edition with a bonus disc called "Holding Patterns" which features two additional completed tracks and a bunch of demos which actually sound good enough to not be called demos (Devin says that demos are prepared ready to hear as they should sound though the songs might still undergo some changes in the mixing before growing out of their demo status). While the songs on "Transcendence" are meant to be based on deeper and more profound notions, the tracks on the bonus disc are a variety of moods including high-speed, aggro metal, pop metal, a song resembling a dance remix of an eighties dance rock song done in DTP style, and a classic rock and roll song with piano but also done in the wall-of-sound, in-your-face style of DTP. There's also an instrumental featuring Devin's lead guitar playing, which is actually very good but he downplays it in the album notes.

Fans of Devin will have nothing to complain about here. It's yet another solid album. Newcomers will be alright to hear this album first, though I personally would recommend starting with "Terria" and "Synchestra". I have been wavering about the star rating, unsure of whether to award four stars or three. I would choose either depending on my feeling at the time of listening to the album. For today, I will give it only three stars simply because I don't feel Devin has given us anything really new. For someone who really has tried to stretch out and create his own distinct concoctions of music, this album is in a way an easy approach for him to follow.

Incidentally, the Japanese edition comes with three additional demo tracks, and I was very tempted to pay the extra 1,000 yen to get them. I really wanted to hear the song called "Sophie's Boobies". But economy and reason got the better of me and I just bought the regular double-disc edition.

3 stars I'm not sure how I feel about it on this album, but then Dev has his own sound and if you're after more of the same or more from the early days then at least the first half is definitely for you. There is ultimately no doubting the genius that is Devin Townsend. I however keep getting sucked i ... (read more)

Report this review (#1612382) | Posted by RainingStigmata | Sunday, September 18, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is another excellent release by Devin Townsend. He can create a wall of sound like NO ONE else. His unique signature sound is all over Transcendence, and it just has a nice flow from track to track to keep the listener interested. He has consistently produced one high quality release after a ... (read more)

Report this review (#1611406) | Posted by javajeff | Wednesday, September 14, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Wow. This is good. Real good. Devin is back to his best. The dynamic range and wall of sounds that we all love. This by far the best drumming on any album. It is epic. The guitars are back with some sneaky solos. 1. Truth - Great remake. Its wider. The angelic vocals. It is beautiful. 2. Stor ... (read more)

Report this review (#1600588) | Posted by keriboi | Wednesday, August 24, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEVIN TOWNSEND "Devin Townsend Project: Transcendence"