NEITHER IN HEAVEN

- Gerben Klazinga (Knight Area) / Keyboards
- Nathan Vanheuverzwijn / Piano
- Benoit Dupuis / Keyboards
- Johanne Laplante / Flute

Format: Digital (March 15, 2016) CD (May 1, 2016)
Label: Unicorn Digital

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

HUIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HUIS Neither in Heaven Music

HUIS Neither in Heaven ratings distribution

HUIS Neither in Heaven reviews

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team
4 stars After a promising debut, the band is back with his second album. There is no less than four keyboards musicians and that should give you a idea to what to expect in the overall sound of the music. The presence of the keyboards with some nice melody lines is what we have after the intro song. The melody is building slowly with multi-part vocals. The tempo get faster with the guitar of Michel St-Père of Mystery matching the keyboards at the end. In the song "Insane", the bass has the opportunity to shine with a keyboard solo. "The Man on the Hill" is heavy and sound like a copy of Arena style, the sound of the vocals are very close to Paul Manzini. The guitar is very busy here. In "Memories", the melody is carried by the keyboards again that are shining before a David Gilmour's guitar passage at the end. The album end with another take on the Arena's epic type of song that starts like a ballad but continue with some big symphonic parts. Those who enjoy the Neo Prog bands with a heavy edge and lot of progressive stuff will have to check this one out. The album sounds heavier than the first one and the production is clear which makes this more enjoyable to listen. Only the strait forward song "Red Gypsy" doesn't have the same quality of the rest of the album,
Review by b_olariu
4 stars Huis - this canadian/dutch neo/symphonic prog band is present with a second offer Neither in heaven, issued at canadian label Digital unicorn in april 2016. Well, what we have here is a good towards great neo prog album with hints of symphonic prog all done in a beautiful and elegant manner. I was hooked from first listen, at same level with previous album and in places even better, and aswell little more edgy in parts, but with all that the guitar parts are excellent overall. Very nice and elegant duels between musicians, I think the forte track is Synesthesia - this is impressive, really tight musicianship, excellent ideas, every musician involved here is sure what is doing and done very well in the end - the guitar parts from the end of the tune are marvelous, remind me here and there with another canadian neo band Red Sand or with norwegians The Windmill, very well performed passages, no wonder that Michel St-Père is a teacher on guitar. and worth 5 stars alone this track. Also two instrumental pieces grace the release, Insane and I held. Insane featuring keybordist Gerben Klazinga from dutch neo prog band Knight Area, very nice tune. I also find the bass little in front then previous album, but is a good thing, everything is done with taste and in elegant manner. As I said the music overall is well crafted , with lots of keyboards and guitars aswell maybe in some parts they remind me of Mystery because of St-Pere guitar touch but with hints of aformentioned bands above. Anyway strong compostions under neo/symphonic prog flavour. The art work and overall package is great to, digipak format. So, from me 4 stars, definatly one of the better albums of this year. I like this band and for sure I will check their next releases.
Review by FragileKings
4 stars Huis is a band project assembled by Michel St. Pere, the man behind the heavy neo-prog band Mystery, and "Neither in Heaven" is the band's second album. As with Mystery, Huis on this album follow the course of a heavy prog band with lots of synthesizer solos and abundant use of a heavy guitar sound. Similarities between Huis and Mystery might be easy to come by, and I wondered why St. Pere would want to run two bands of similar style at the same time. However, I haven't heard the latest Mystery album so I can't say if that band has changed at all.

There are several points worthy of mention regarding this album. First, I have to mention singer Sylvain Descoteaux who also handles piano and keyboards, one of four members in the band to have his hands on the keys! Sylvain can sing with a voice that agilely slides up to higher registers for Gillan-like howls and screams as in "Synesthesia" and "The Man on the Hill" but delivers melody and more soothing notes when required. You might soon clue into his French- Canadian accent, though this only adds charm to the vocals in my opinion.

Although many songs feature a heavier guitar with riffs that rival Arena, the album includes plenty of lighter passages either nestled within songs like "Synesthesia" or making up the bulk of the song in "Memories". I especially enjoy some of the piano with the final piano instrumental concluding the album being a favourite. "The Red Gypsy" begins with some lovely acoustic guitar and "Entering the Gallery" is a tease with a light and beautiful piano introduction that soon gives way to the heavier side of Huis. Three instrumental tracks "Neither in Heaven", "Insane" and "I Held" give the band opportunity to show off their instrumental skills free of the burden of lyrics.

This is an album written and performed by seasoned musicians, and I often find myself marveling at the perfection that has gone into the creation and recording of the songs. Still, depending on my mood, I may also feel the denser atmosphere of the heavier parts is not the best way to present the music of the album or that the same audio density is detracting from the lighter, prettier music. In general though, It's difficult to find fault with this album and at times during the day, the music may begin playing freely in my head. Worthy of four stars for certain.

4 stars Is this a change of approach for this Canadian outfit? I was looking forward to this second album from Huis after recently giving their first effort time to make sense. I was impressed with their mix of light and dark with the obvious leanings towards "Mystery" and possibly "Arena". I came ... (read more)

Report this review (#1547960) | Posted by shaunch | Monday, April 4, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HUIS "Neither in Heaven"