HERE BE MONSTERS

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Music
Studio Album, released in 2016

1. Sleepwalking (0:57)
2. Lacuna/Sunrise (9:46)
3. Running With Scissors (5:39)
4. I. M. S. (7:05)
5. Spin, Spin, Spin (4:07)
6. Sleepwalking Again (0:56)
7. Big Black Dog (17:42)

Search MOTORPSYCHO Here Be Monsters lyrics

Search MOTORPSYCHO Here Be Monsters tabs

- Bent Sæther / bass, guitars, vocals, producer
- Hans Magnus "Snah" Ryan / guitars, vocals, flute (3)
- Kenneth Kapstad / drums

With:
- Thomas Henriksen / keyboards, vocals, mixing

Note: The actual instrumentation could not be fully confirmed at this moment

This album evolved from a piece of music they wrote for the Oslo Teknisk Museum's birthday

Artwork: Kim Hiorthøy

CD Rune Grammofon RCD2179 (2016 Norway)
LP+CD Rune Grammofon RLP 3179 (2016 Norway)
CD Stickman Records PSYCHOBABBLE 083 (2016 Germany)
LP+CD Stickman Records PSYCHOBABBLE 083 (2016 Germany)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

MOTORPSYCHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOTORPSYCHO Here Be Monsters Music

Here Be MonstersHere Be Monsters
Rune Grammofon 2016
Here Be Monsters by MotorpsychoHere Be Monsters by Motorpsycho
Stickman

More places to buy MOTORPSYCHO music online Buy MOTORPSYCHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MOTORPSYCHO Here Be Monsters ratings distribution

MOTORPSYCHO Here Be Monsters reviews

4 stars Norway's MOTORPSYCHO have been at it for over 25 years and have released a ton of music over that period. They also have changed the style of music they make many times over those years, but the last three studio albums have been similar with that strong Psyche/ Rock flavour and man have they made a fan of me in doing so. It was actually that ambitious concept album "The Death Defying Unicorn" that won me over back in 2012. Lets put it this way, "The Death Defying Unicorn", Still Life With Eggplant" and "Behind The Sun" all ended up in my top five for those three years. "Here Be Monsters" while still the same style as the previous two has more of a Psych vibe and less of a "Rock" one, in other words it's more laid back overall by a significant amount and it will probably be well out of my top ten this year even though it's still a very enjoyable album.

There seems to be a theme with this album and it's about people's fears, or the perceived monsters they have to deal with. It seems to deal with children rather than adults for the most part. "Sleepwalking" is around a minute of piano melodies. "Lacuna/ Sunrise" is a song about a person who is losing their mind and it's divided into two parts. It's slow paced with acoustic guitar before it turns fuller with a beat and bass. It picks up a notch before 1 1/2 minutes then reserved vocals join in after 2 minutes in a hazy soundscape. We get a prolonged instrumental break from after 4 1/2 minutes to after 8 minutes and I really like the guitar late in this section. Vocals are back after 8 minutes. "Running With Scissors" is one of my favs and an instrumental. I just really like that repetitive guitar melody and also when it veers off into different directions. Another hazy sounding tune and check out the relaxed guitar after 3 1/2 minutes. I love the mood here plus we get some flute.

"I.M.S." stands for "Inner Mounting Shame" apparently. Piano to start as a second piano joins in but off-set. Some power a minute in as the electric guitar starts to light it up as the drums and the bass build. Vocals before 2 1/2 minutes as they let it rip instrumentally. Love the guitar here. It settles right down then kicks in hard after 5 1/2 minutes right to the end. Great track! "Spin, Spin, Spin" is a H.P. LOVECRAFT cover. Not one of my favs but it's pretty good. Strummed guitar and electric guitar as the vocals come in singing "Spin, spin, spin my little darling". A beat with bass joins in then we get a nice instrumental section after 3 minutes to the end.

"Sleepwalking Again" is more of those piano melodies. "Big Black Dog" is the epic here and my favourite at almost 18 minutes in length. Picked acoustic guitar to start as soft vocals join in. Eventually some backing vocals and atmosphere arrive. A change after 4 minutes as it turns heavier then the vocals return but with more passion this time. We get some mellotron around 8 minutes. It's even more intense 9 1/2 minutes in but then we get a sudden calm before 11 1/2 minutes as intricate guitar takes over. Keys join in then more mellotron as it starts to slowly build until that familiar melody returns after 14 1/2 minutes. Another calm before 16 minutes as we get the intro reprised then those soft vocals return as it stays mellow to the end.

This just doesn't click with me like "Still Life With Eggplant" or "Behind The Sun" but this is a very solid album, I just feel it has moments that I'm not sold on.

3 stars I guess only Buckethead beats Motorpsycho in output. Nominally there was an unusual for them two-year break between their last and the latest, but that time was filled with original material live albums and fan memorabilia. Over the years, Motorpsycho has done all the styles conceivable, from gr ... (read more)

Report this review (#1531931) | Posted by Progrussia | Tuesday, February 23, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Get this for Big Black Dog alone, as it is a spacey 17 minute trip that should be experienced. Motorpsycho has a formula down now, and that is not a bad thing. They are making excellent progressive rock albums with a 70s soul, and fans will be right at home with Here Be Monsters. This is also ... (read more)

Report this review (#1528855) | Posted by javajeff | Saturday, February 13, 2016 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOTORPSYCHO "Here Be Monsters"