PROGENY - SEVEN SHOWS FROM SEVENTY-TWO

Yes Progeny - Seven Shows from Seventy-Two album cover

Buy YES Music
Live, released in 2015

Track Listing for every show/double disc

Opening (Excerpt From Firebird Suite)
Siberian Khatru

i. The Solid Time Of Change
ii. Total Mass Retain
iii. I Get Up I Get Down
iv. Seasons Of Man

Excerpts From "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII"

Roundabout

- Alan White / drums

Label: Atlantic Catalog Group
Format: 14CD Set
May 19, 2015

14-disc set that holds every note from all seven shows, recorded in the fall of 1972 as the band's tour jumped from Canada to North Carolina, and then Georgia and Tennessee, before their last stop in New York at Nassau Coliseum on November 20th. This comprehensive set comes in a cigarette-style flip top box with new artwork by Roger Dean
Read more at http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-progeny-live-from-seventy-two/#oFfK1mHWqlaLXEf3.99

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Progeny - Seven Shows from Seventy-Two Music

Progeny: Seven Shows From Seventy-Two (14CD Deluxe Box)Progeny: Seven Shows From Seventy-Two (14CD Deluxe Box)
Box set
Atlantic Catalog Group 2015

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

YES Progeny - Seven Shows from Seventy-Two ratings distribution

YES Progeny - Seven Shows from Seventy-Two reviews

Review by Man With Hat
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team
4 stars Tales From Nineteen-Seventy-Two.

An absolute treasure for fans of 70s Progressive Rock, Progeny has all the hallmarks as a classic boxset that will go down as a must own for fans, in the not too distant future. Progeny chronicles a time when Yes were special...musically adventurous, technically showy, and physically and mentally inclined to push to the heights of the rock music scene of the time. Even though Sir Bruford had recently left, Yes were still a well oiled machine, which this box set illustrates quite well. This box set is an archive of seven complete shows of Yes' North American tour in 1972, with no studio overdubs or other postmortem procedures. It is Yes, live and raw.

For me, the highlights are unequivocally Yours Is No Disgrace, Siberian Khatru, and Heart Of The Sunrise. Each of the seven versions brims with life and vitally, and usually culminates with a stellar solo spot, that shows just how fierce and talented the band are. Howe, in particular, stands out to my ears. His deft hand and keen musical mind are fully at play when it is his turn in the spotlight. Of all the songs, Yours Is No Disgrace is probably the most exciting, as before the song proper begins, there is a little improvised 'jam' as an intro. Most are rather short (under a minute) but the Nassau Coliseum show has a nearly 5 minute excursion. This is a side of Yes that is certainly under represented and it's nice to have it shown, even if briefly.

Most of the rest of the show is quite enjoyable as well. And You And I seems the most spirited, when compared to it's studio counterpart. Roundabout also manages to feel fresh (even today when it is most definitely played to death) with a subtle fire and feel good atmosphere. For me, the only dip in quality is the Steve Howe solo spot, which while technically proficient and skillful, is a bit of a drag in the overall flow of the show, and frankly reproduced seven times is quite overkill, even for a boxset like this one. But there is easily enough excellence overall to counterbalance this hiccup.

But that does lead to the obvious drawback to this set, which is the fact that Yes did not vary their song selection from show to show. While it is nice to have seven new and wonderful versions of Yours Is No Disgrace and Heart Of The Sunrise, having seven Howe/Wakeman solo spots and seven I've Seen All Good People is a bit unnecessary and slightly disappointing, considering what else they had in their (admittedly smallish) catalog. But this is what Yes was back in those fateful days of the early 70s. So, the question must be asked...is the full boxset worth it, or will the highlights package satisfy? For me, the answer is clear: The boxset is the only way to own Progeny. Admittedly, getting a general consensus for best versions for each song would be a difficult exercise. However, for me, the highlights package misses some fairly essential stuff...the aforementioned Nassau Coliseum Yours Is No Disgrace, the Maple Leaf Garden's Close To The Edge & Excerpts From The Six Wives Of Henry VII (where Wakeman tunes into a local radio station), and absolutely anything from the University Of Georgia show, which is one of the best ones overall, for me. And perhaps I'm just picky and would like to create my own highlights package, but part of me will always be happy to have the full shows at my disposal.

All in all, this is a superb document of one of the premier Progressive Rock bands, in their prime, and striking with full force. This is absolutely essential for anyone who is a fan of this period of the band's history. The sound quality is good throughout, and definitely an improvement to Yessongs (which this, specially the highlights package, will inevitably be compared to). But like the recent release of Miles Davis' full shows the the Filmore East, I find this to be an excellent compliment to Yessongs, and I wouldn't like to have my collection missing either. On a grander scale, I can see a massive box set like this (although reasonably priced for what it is) can be a bit of excess in the overall view of things. I'll rate it a extremely strong 4.5 stars, with a corollary: If you are on the fence over the boxset or the highlights package, you want the full set. Strongly recommended.

Review by Warthur
3 stars Major Yes fans who simply can't get enough of their live show as documented in Yessongs will love Progeny, a boxed set that contains seven full shows from the Close to the Edge tour of North America with Alan White having found his bearings on drums. An excellent job has been done of optimising the sound quality whilst accurately presenting the twists and turns of each show - including a Spinal Tap-esque incident where a local radio station starts interfering with Rick Wakeman's keyboard setup in one show.

Less hardcore fans, however, will probably find the entire set a bit excessive. Whilst there is some improv here and there, Yes shows of this period simply didn't vary as much as, say, your average mid-70s King Crimson concert. In fact, each show has essentially the same setlist played in basically the same order each evening.

Even an individual show (or a show reconstructed from the best cuts of each concert, as on the "Highlights" distillation of this set) has some issues; the set feels like it sags a little at points and each individual show becomes a bit of a chore to listen to all the way through on its own. On balance, this set has made me somewhat more appreciative of the judicious editing job done on Yessongs, since whilst that set does not present a single uninterrupted show I actually find it more varied and interesting to listen to than this.

For the sheer value of money it offers to the true fans, I'll give this three stars, but it really and truly isn't for anyone who isn't a fanatical completist.

4 stars Seven concerts taken from the 1972 Canadian and US tour. Same set list each time; very similar performances and presented in a warts and all set of soundboards - not multi-track recordings. These are the "source code" for most of Yessongs. So if you're familiar with Yessongs and hear the Knoxvill ... (read more)

Report this review (#1534051) | Posted by uduwudu | Tuesday, March 1, 2016 | Review Permanlink

5 stars A must !! If you where ever in doubt about this box set, don't be, this is the best live representation of a band at their peak. But 7 shows with the same setlist? really?!? Yep! 7 shows with the same setlist. But, with not the same atmosphere each night, not the same intensity and playing in ... (read more)

Report this review (#1445260) | Posted by Fido73 | Sunday, July 26, 2015 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The question looming over everyone's heads when this box set was released was no doubt: Does anyone really need seven additional versions of these ten songs? The answer turns out to be an unequivocal yes. Despite the recent departure of Bill Bruford, Yes were unquestionably on a musical peak whe ... (read more)

Report this review (#1444492) | Posted by CassandraLeo | Friday, July 24, 2015 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Progeny - Seven Shows from Seventy-Two"