COFFINS ON IO

RIO/Avant-Prog

Kayo Dot Coffins On Io album cover

Buy KAYO DOT Music
Studio Album, released in 2014

1. The Mortality of Doves (11:54)
2. Offramp Cycle, Pattern 22 (9:25)
3. Longtime Disturbance on the Miracle Mile (4:07)
4. Library Subterranean (8:23)
5. The Assassination of Adam (5:47)
6. Spirit Photography (10:06)

Search KAYO DOT Coffins On Io lyrics

Search KAYO DOT Coffins On Io tabs

- Toby Driver / vocals, bass, synths, electric percussion, guitar, producer
- Ron Varod / guitars
- Tim Byrnes / organ solo (1), Rhodes (6)
- Daniel Means / saxophones, synths, electric percussion
- Keith Abrams / drums, electric percussion

ArtWork: Toby Driver

LP Flenser Records ‎- FR49 (2014, US)

CD Flenser Records ‎- none (2014, US)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

KAYO DOT MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYO DOT Coffins On Io Music

Coffins on IoCoffins on Io
Flenser 2014
Coffins On Io by Kayo DotCoffins On Io by Kayo Dot
The Flenser

More places to buy KAYO DOT music online Buy KAYO DOT & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

KAYO DOT Coffins On Io ratings distribution

KAYO DOT Coffins On Io reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Jazz-Rock / Fusion / Canterbury Team
4 stars Toby Driver keeps on evolving. Perhaps more than any other artist . . . ever. Miles. Fripp. Genesis. Sylvian. Herbie. Mahavishnu John. Zorn. Ulver. Trying new styles, new personas, stretching himself instrumentally and compositionally, Toby Driver's Kayo Dot discography alone would compare favorably to any of the above shape-shifting artists--and Coffins on Io does not disappoint on that account. The much-mentioned Goth/glam-synth-pop sounds from the 1980s are absolutely present here (the over-long "Library Subterranean" [8:23] [9/10], the feel of the guitar chord sequence and vocal in the first two sections of "The Assassination of Adam"), but there is so much more. There is a haunting soundtrack jazziness to the saxophone-laden "Spirit Photography" (10:06) (10/10). And yet there are still vestiges of the Post Metal heaviness of previous Kayo Dot albums, such as on the second half of "The Assassination of Adam" (5:47) (7/10; a bit too grating for my ears), as well as some of the sensitivity and enjoyable melody-making of Toby's maudlin of The Well era ("Longtime Disturbance on the Miracle Mile" [4:07] [8/10]). Parts of "The Assassination of Adam," interestingly, also fit into the realm of psychedelia.

Two of my favorite three songs sound like they came straight out of the 80s. In the haunting "Offramp Cycle, Pattern 22" (9:25) (10/10) I hear bits and pieces of bands like DIF JUZ, TALK TALK, BLUE NILE, THE CURE, GENE LOVES JEZEBEL, NEW ORDER, DEPECHE MODE, ICEHOUSE, ROXY MUSIC, and even STEELY DAN (in the drumming).

Despite its length, "The Mortality of Doves" (11:54) (9/10) has one of my favorite Toby Driver vocals of all-time. Though it is very heavily treated in reverb, it is his most consistently 'normal' vocal ever. It is also heavily steeped in similarities to the glam styles of 1980s Glam rockers like Brian Ferry, Ira Davies and Dave Gahan. And yet it is Toby Driver--his own fresh, new territory. Where the song suffers, however, is in its lack of variation and 'development' over its twelve minute length.

"Spirit Photography" (10/10) escapes being pigeon-holed in the 1980s umbrella due to its spaciousness and its jazzier drums (though 1990s TALK TALK does come to mind). The gentle central groove with its DICK PARRY-like breathy sax is quite reminiscent, to me, of the wonderfully soporific songs "Breathe" and "Us and Them" from PINK FLOYD's Dark Side of the Moon.

Still, this is, for me, the most impressive--and my favorite--Kayo Dot album since Choirs of the Eye. The others have been either too unpolished, too dark and depressing, or seeming undeveloped and without direction. While Toby's signature chunky, rolling bass remains central to every song, Coffins on Io has seen Toby & Co. take a definite turn down "a road less travelled by" other bands. Let's hope that it is the one that makes all the difference.

4.5 stars--one of the best I've heard from 2014.

Review by Second Life Syndrome
3 stars Kayo Dot. This band is such an anomaly in so many ways for me. In 2013, they released the classless, pointless "Hubardo", which I still feel is more of an experiment in cacophony than in actual music. They have rebounded, however, with 2014's "Coffins on Io", an album with a title that caught my interest to some degree.

The album features much the same list of performers as "Hubardo", with the notable exception of Mia on violin. I actually wasn't sure how to process that. Anyways, the band consists of Toby Driver on vocals, bass, synths, electric percussion, and guitars; Ron Varod on guitars; Daniel Means on saxophones, synths, and electric percussion; and Keith Abrams on drums and electric percussion. You may have noticed that electric percussion is pretty popular, and you would be correct. This new album from Kayo Dot is an electronic, bassy affair that harkens back to the 80s in some ways. The main difference between the last album and "Coffins on Io" is the fact that actual song structures and melodies are present. Some people have even likened this album's sound to Riverside, but I think that is unwarranted. Ultimately, however, the album has a droning sound to it that is mostly accompanied by some down-turning melodies and stark atmospheres. Some of the tracks, such as my favorite "Offramp Cycle, Pattern 22", are honestly quite beautiful in a weird, blunt way; almost as if we are listening to this album by candlelight somehow, if that makes any sense.

I was so happy that the band decided to make actual songs this time. I rather enjoyed the off-key sounds and edgeless sensibilities of this album. While the band returns to the style I despise here and there in the second half of this album, the album as a whole is genuinely interesting, beautifully different, and strange in the best of ways. I still can't commit and call this an excellent album, but "Coffins of Io" is definitely good and worth hearing.

5 stars In talking about KAYO DOT's "Coffins On Io" Toby Driver said they were going for that 80's retro-future noir vibe ala "Blade Runner". He also said that the album sounded like a combination of TYPE O NEGATIVE, Peter Gabriel and SISTERS OF MERCY. It just so happens that i'm a fan of the style of eighties music they are trying to emulate here, of course this is KAYO DOT so there will be a lot of surprises and experimentation.

"The Mortality Of Doves" opens with sounds pulsing in this disturbing soundscape before the vocals arrive and it settles back to a more normal sound instrumentally with fuzz. An organ solo which is far from normal arrives after after 2 minutes and ends before 4 1/2 minutes when the vocals return. The vocals by the way remind me of the band IN THE WOODS... here. Love the drum work as well. Sax before 7 minutes and the vocals will stop a minute later. Check out the bass solo that follows. It kicks back in with vocals quickly then we get this intense ending with Post-rock styled guitars.

"Offramp Cycle, Pattern 22" opens with drums as vocals and more join in quickly. A catchy number with so much going on. An eighties vibe here for sure, especially the vocals. This is so impressive instrumentally. "I push the needle, I push the needle..." then the vocals stop 5 minutes in as it becomes somewhat experimental with electronics and more. I like the background synths as this continues to the end. "Longtime Disturbance On The Miracle Mile" has this dark rhythm to start as the relaxed vocals join in. The focus is on the vocals for almost 2 minutes then that rhythm returns to the fore. The vocals return 3 minutes in in this surprisingly accessible song. A very cool tune.

"Library Subterranean" is my favourite track on here. A haunting start that turns experimental fairly quickly. Vocals after a minute as the tempo picks up. It settles back as the vocals become the focus 2 minutes in. The guitar starts to make some noise as it all becomes fuller again as the vocals step aside. Lots of fuzz here. This is dark and heavy. What an incredible instrumental section. My God! Love the mournful synths after 4 minutes that recall RUSH's "Permanent Waves" album or GENESIS self-titled record from 1983. Killer sound here! Outstanding drum work as well. Intense is the word. Sax joins the chaos after 6 1/2 minutes.

"The Assassination Of Adam" comes out of the gate with guns blazing as the vocals arrive a minute in and they are processed. Insanity! A calm after 1 1/2 minutes as the guitar solos in an unconventional manner(haha). It's experimental when the dissonant sax and more join in and processed vocals follow. So much passion. The sax kicks back in after 4 minutes as the vocals stop. Incredible! Huge bass lines too. "Spirit Photography" has relaxed vocals and a pleasant sound to start. Some high pitched vocal moments at times, man can Toby sing or what? The vocals then stop as the sax comes in before 3 minutes. It just sort of trips along until the vocals return before 8 minutes with some deep sounds as well.

I wasn't sure what to think after one listen but man once I got a grasp of what they are doing here I was totally on board and loving this stuff. I can appreciate that there are those who won't be into this dark, eighties styled music but I adore this album.

Review by Warthur
3 stars Possibly the most accessible Kayo Dot album of them all, with some sections of the selections here almost sounding like comparatively conventional gothic-leaning alternative rock given an eccentric production treatment. As usual, I find Kayo Dot's approach rather hit and miss, and whilst I appreciate the extra clarity they have attained by allowing themselves to prune back their sound and resist the temptation to turn the experimentalism up to 11 all the time, at the same time that selfsame clarity doesn't reveal much to write home about, at least to my ears. I never feel like I can mark Kayo Dot too far down, because they're always technically proficient, but I do think the album is enough of a love-it-or-hate-it deal that I can't honestly rate it as highly as Hubardo.

4 stars Kayo Dot is too experimental to stick with the same genre or sound for too long. A drastic change from its predecessor, Hubardo, Coffins on Io is nowhere close to being metal, borrowing extensively from eighties new wave with a touch of psychedelic influence. Accessible in comparison to previous ... (read more)

Report this review (#1505765) | Posted by Insin | Saturday, January 2, 2016 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Kayo Dot is one of those bands known for changing their tune with every album, but arguably never more so than with Coffins on Io. The band's pre-release description of the album as "80s retro-future noir? Blade Runner... a good record to put on while you drive across the desert at night under a tox ... (read more)

Report this review (#1324764) | Posted by Kazza3 | Tuesday, December 16, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYO DOT "Coffins On Io"