WATCHER OF THE SKIES

Genesis

Genesis Watcher of the Skies album cover

Buy GENESIS Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 1973

1. Watcher Of The Skies (3:44)
2. Willow Farm (2:59)

Search GENESIS Watcher of the Skies lyrics

Search GENESIS Watcher of the Skies tabs

- Tony Banks / organ, mellotron, piano, electric piano, acoustic 12 string guitar, backing vocals
- Phil Collins / drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Peter Gabriel / lead vocals, flute, tambourine, bass drum, oboe
- Steve Hackett / electric guitar, acoustic 12 string guitar, acoustic 6 string guitar
- Mike Rutherford / bass guitar, bass pedals, acoustic 12 string guitar, cello, backing vocals

Vinyl 7" Charisma 6073 331 Italy

Thanks to Per Köhler for the addition

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Watcher of the Skies Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (2CD)The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (2CD)
Atlantic Catalog Group 2014
EMI Europe Generic 2008
Genesis the Platinum CollectionGenesis the Platinum Collection
Remastered
Atlantic 2005

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

GENESIS Watcher of the Skies ratings distribution

GENESIS Watcher of the Skies reviews

Review by Matti
5 stars (When I'm behind the desk and have some time to kill, I try to find a release I can write an ex tempore review on, preferably something WITHOUT dozens/hundereds of reviews already. This time I interestingly came upon just about the most classic prog ever that "hasn't any reviews". Except that the reviews page of Foxtrot is perhaps among the longest ones here... So who do I think I'm fooling?)

'Watcher of the Skies', the mighty opener for Foxtrot and surely one of the most anthemic and best known prog songs. Naturally the single edit can't have the famous, long mellotron intro, but the song itself is so powerful and effectively catchy, especially in the prog scale, that it deserved to be released as a single too. Did you know the song was inspired by Arthur C. Clarke's science fiction novel Childhood's End? Have a look at the cover of Genesis Live and you'll see Gabe in the role of 'Overlord', the super-intelligent Extra Terrestrial that happens to look like a devil... I should re-read the book some day to evaluate the song and its lyrics from that point of view.

B-side's 'Willow Farm' is the most hilarious section of the beloved prog epic 'Supper's Ready' that fills almost the entire 2nd side of Foxtrot. Of course that groundbreaking epic should be listened as a whole, but 'Willow Farm' functions pretty well also as a separate song. The best piece of humorous prog I know!

I have a temptation to rate this single as high as possible (I haven't rated Foxtrot but no doubt I'd give five stars), but up to the cover art everything is taken from the album... What the hell, this release screams five stars!

Post a review of GENESIS "Watcher of the Skies"