QUETZALCOATL

Zeuhl

Corima Quetzalcoatl album cover

Buy CORIMA Music
Studio Album, released in 2012

1. Corima Iss De Hündin! (1:45)
2. Gurdhait Nefertatt (1:30)
3. Vhlakoshpetzz (3:48)
4. Sunna Domitiwuando (3:15)
5. Wlakezz Fhunder (3:07)
6. Krishkalidortz (2:26)
7. Divindondiwua (2:35)
8. Khozmikh Kavhiledrios (6:53)
9. Zhuntra (7:18)

- Andrea Itzpapalotl / Violin, Vocals
- Patrick Shiroishi / Saxophones, Glockenspiel, Vocals
- Ryan Kamiyamazaki / Bass, Vocals
- Christopher Votek / Vocals on

Thanks to Monadology for the addition

CORIMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy CORIMA Quetzalcoatl Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
AmaterasuAmaterasu
Soleil Zeuhl

More places to buy CORIMA music online Buy CORIMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

CORIMA Quetzalcoatl ratings distribution

CORIMA Quetzalcoatl reviews

3 stars CORIMA are a Zeuhl band based out of Texas and they are greatly influenced by the Japanese style of Zeuhl as I thought of both RUINS and KOENJIHYAKKEI while playing this record. Even the cover art is in the Japanese style plus we get a couple of Americans playing on here who have Japanese last names. So the music is often frantic and played at a fast pace and we get both male and female vocals. Add violin and sax to the sound as well which adds a different flavour to the Zeuhl sound. To be honest I'm not into crazy, fast paced music and while KOENJIHYKKEI are a favourite of many on this site I just can't get into them or unfortunately this album by CORIMA, just my tastes of course.

This is a long one at just under 70 minutes and while the first eight songs and the final seven songs are both supposed to be long suites I find that neither of them come across as being suites as these short songs don't seem to flow or be connected to each other in my opinion. I love the title of the first song though "Corima Iss De Hundin!", that's just too funny. Vocals dominate this song and they are male and female reminding me of MAGMA. On "Gurdhait Nefertatt" we still get vocals but the violin comes in over top. It picks up speed before a minute and fast paced vocals follow. "Vhlakoshpetzz" is piano and drum led to start as the violin joins in. Again this is fast paced and frantic, and this continues on the next song "Sunna Domitiwhando".

Up next is "Wlakezz Fhunder" which opens with electric piano and drums as the violin joins in. It picks up quickly with multi-vocals. Not a fan at all. Female vocals to the fore around 2 minutes. "Krishkalidortz" is better as we get sax and drums to start with the violin over top. Male vocals and a deeper sounding soundscape follow and these soundscapes will be contrasted. "Divindondiwua" has relaxed piano melodies as the violin and vocals join in. Not a fan. "Khozmikh Kahiledrios" ends the first suite. It opens with this swinging sound as bass, drums and violin standout. Vocal melodies follow. A much better sound arrives before 1 1/2 minutes as we get some much needed upfront bass. Yeah we need more of that. Check out the fuzzed out keys(again thankyou) before 3 minutes. Vocals are the focus 5 1/2 minutes in and dissonant sax ends it. They hit on a few things in this song that I wish were prominent throughout.

"Zhuntra" has laid back electric piano to start as violin and bass join in. It turns lighter with intricate sounds including flute. Violin and drums lead before 3 minutes as it becomes intense. "Tezcatlipoca" is the longest song at over 17 minutes. It has a zeuhlish start with the focus on the male and female vocals. The tempo picks up with the vocals still being the focus, not a fan. I like the flute though. A change before 4 minutes as the vocals stop but the fast paced instrumental work continues. Guitar follows then these crazy vocal expressions arrive. Violin and flute lead around 7 minutes then distorted keys before 8 minutes as it calms down. Vocals are back at 10 1/2 minutes and I like the guitar before 16 minutes.

"Quetzalcoatl" starts the final suite and it hits the ground running with male and female vocals leading the way. "Kualtiliocayotl" is also dominated by vocals, drums and violin although sax arrives before 2 minutes. "Iknoakayotl" is uptempo with violin joining in before 1 1/2 minutes followed by vocals. I like the drumming before 3 minutes. "Necnomatlicayotl" is uptempo and all instrumental while "Teiknottalistli" is heavier but slower with piano before the vocals and violin join in. "Neltococayotl" sounds great early on with the bass and drums. It seems to speed up as it goes. "Teomatilistli" ends it with drums and piano leading in this uptempo closer. Vocals and violin join in as well.

Clearly I'm in the minority here with my rating and opinions as this album is rated very highly everywhere I looked. This just isn't the style of Zeuhl that I enjoy.

5 stars What a great, great album! Corima is a band that plays in the USA but actually started in Mexico. Quetzalcóatl means "feathered snake" in Nahuatl and is a god in many ancient mexican cultures, he is the main character in this album. Although there are a lot of songs, there are only 4, three of ... (read more)

Report this review (#1213744) | Posted by MyDarling95 | Monday, July 14, 2014 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of CORIMA "Quetzalcoatl"