MADNESS

Collectors/fans only

Buy MUSE Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2012

1. Madness (4:39)

2nd single from Muse's 6th studio album "The 2nd Law". Released on the Helium 3 on 20th August 2012.

Thanks to Kulitta for the addition

Buy MUSE Madness Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Black Holes and Revelations [Vinyl]Black Holes and Revelations [Vinyl]
$8.39
Origin of SymmetryOrigin of Symmetry
Maverick 2005
$5.81
Hullaballo Soundtrack (Bonus CD)Hullaballo Soundtrack (Bonus CD)
WARNER BROS UK 2007
$4.43

More places to buy MUSE music online Buy MUSE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MUSE Madness ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(4%)

MUSE Madness reviews

Review by Conor Fynes
1 stars 'Madness' - Muse (Single)

It's buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-bad-bad-bad.

When I first heard "Unsustainable"- the first track dropped from this new Muse album- I was shocked. Not because I had finally stumbled upon the progressive-black-jazz-neofolk-metal record I had been searching for my entire life, but because a progressive rock band that had once been decent some short years ago was now a poster child for mainstream, corporate garbage of the unforgivable variety. Luckily, the first true single for this album, "Madness", is not quite as bad as my first impression with "The 2nd Law". Unfortunately, most of the things that go right with "Madness" are thanks to Muse's shameless plagiarism of the almighty Queen. I could call this listenable, but if this is the best thing that this Muse album has to offer, then I shall schedule post-traumatic stress therapy in advance.

Queen's "I Want to Break Free" was a decent song- not one of their best, but pretty good. It had a cheesy-yet-endearing 80's beat, great vocals from Mercury, and a generally catchy feel that makes it memorable, even though I haven't heard the song in some time. It feels like no coincidence, then, that "I Want to Break Free" is the first thing that pops into my head when hearing "Madness". I will refrain from attributing this revelation to handy detective work- Muse have virtually ripped off everything that was decent about the original song, and infused it into their mainstream, now slightly dubstep-influenced sound. The chord progression, the melodies, and even the shape of the guitar solo towards the end point out Muse as hacks. Queen has always been an influence on Muse, but- intentional or accidental- it's pretty lame that they would have gone this far with it.

Like I said, "Madness" is listenable, but I suspect that it is so largely because of the plagiarism. The last minute begins to hint at some interesting vocal arrangements, but for my money, this is a fairly sappy pop tune. Even so, I still get the haunting feeling that I'll be calling this one of the album's highlights when the fateful time comes.

3 stars It indeed sounds like "I Want to Break Free" with dubstep in background ! I predict that the fans of old prog metal Muse will have mixed feeling about this song just like Queen's 70's fans disliked Queen's early 80's output, but i personally, don't care.. I never had problems with Queen (or a ... (read more)

Report this review (#809715) | Posted by nuncjusz | Friday, August 24, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Going to give this one another (more) positive review, because it's not actually that bad. Muse are my second favourite band of all time, and my favourite listed on the archives. The Resistance was a completely stunning album. In every way. But half way through that album, they decided to stop be ... (read more)

Report this review (#808433) | Posted by Gallifrey | Tuesday, August 21, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MUSE "Madness"