ASHES

- Michael Gagen / guitars
- Matthew Martin / keyboards
- Brendon Blanchard / bass
- Stephen Walsh / drums

CD Ozprog.com ‎- opm 001 (2007, Australia)

Thanks to UMUR for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

ARCANE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARCANE Ashes Music

More places to buy ARCANE music online Buy ARCANE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

ARCANE Ashes ratings distribution

ARCANE Ashes reviews

Review by UMUR
3 stars "Ashes" is the debut full-length studio album by Australian, Brisbane based progressive metal act Arcane. The album, which was originally intended to be released as an EP and only to feature the 24:15 minute long "Ashes" title track, was released through OzProg Music in February 2007. Now with 4 additional tracks and a playing time of 55:57 minutes.

The band play a very intricate form of progressive metal with interesting song structures, a generally dark and melancholic atmosphere and of course impeccable and at times virtuosic musicianship. The latter is more or less a trademark of the genre, so it´s not so surprising. Lead vocalist Jim Grey has a rather distinct sounding voice and it took me a while to learn to appreciate, but he sure is very skilled and after I have gotten used to his voice, I can´t imagine Arcane´s music without it. At times he reminds me of Jan-Henrik Ohme from the Norwegian act Gazpacho. There´s lots of passion and also bite in his performance. I like the fact that he is able to deliver both soft styled vocals and more raw almost aggressive vocals too. We´re not talking extreme metal vocals here though, just a commanding, powerful and passionte clean vocal style.

As such Arcane don´t bring much new to the table if you are well versed in progressive metal neither when talking instrumentation nor songwriting, but they deliver high quality material and it´s obvious that these guys are very talented and I´m sure they will release even more unique sounding material in the future. With a strong and unique sounding vocalist like Jim Grey there´s certainly a possibility that it might happen. Much great music begins with a quality vocalist and bearing that in mind Arcane are very fortunate to have Jim Grey.

There are many positive things to say about "Ashes" and overall I really enjoy the album, but unfortunately there´s one thing holding the album back from being really great. The sound production isn´t very powerful or well sounding and while I can live with that because the music is as convincing and well excecuted as it is, it´s still an issue that drags my rating down a bit. The sound is pretty powerless and some of the instruments (mainly the keyboards) sound detached from the rest of the instruments in the soundscape. So a 3.5 star (70%) rating is warranted. With a better sound production "Ashes" would have been a sure 4 star (80%) rating.

3 stars (6/10) Arcane is a band that I came across by using the list/filters function here on ProgArchives to find the 'top' albums from Australia (my glorious birthplace). It's a game I can strongly recommend playing if you're after a diverse range of excellent prog. Anyway, far ahead of all the other r ... (read more)

Report this review (#905454) | Posted by ScorchedFirth | Sunday, February 3, 2013 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARCANE "Ashes"