BUDGIE

rock music collection

Buy BUDGIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Guts (4:20)
2. Everthing In My Heart (0:52)
3. The Author (6:28)
4. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (8:41)
5. Rape Of The Locks (6:12)
6. All Night Petrol (5:57)
7. You And I (1:41)
8. Homicidal Suicidal (6:41)

Total time 40:52

Bonus Tracks on 2004 remaster:
9. Crash Course In Brain Surgery (Alternate Mix) (2:36)
10. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (Single Edit) (4:08)
11. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (2003 rehearsal version) (3:45)
12. Guts (2003 rehearsal version) (3:53)

- Tony Bourge / guitar (1-10)
- Burke Shelley / vocals, bass, Mellotron
- Raymond Phillips / percussion & drums (1-10)

With:
- Simon Lees / guitar (11,12)
- Steve Williams / drums (11,12)

Recorded live-in-studio

Artwork: David Sparling

LP MCA Records ‎- MKPS 2018 (1971, UK)
LP Noteworthy Productions ‎- NP21V (2014, UK)

CD Roadracer Records ‎- RRD 9309 (1991, US)
CD Noteworthy Productions ‎- NP2 (2004, UK) Remastered by Mike Brown & Robert Corich with 4 bonus tracks

Thanks to chrs stacey for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy BUDGIE Budgie Music

BudgieBudgie
Remastered
Belle Antique 2013
$179.99
Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-10-21)Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-10-21)
$53.40
Live In St. Louis 1976 by Budgie (2015-10-21)Live In St. Louis 1976 by Budgie (2015-10-21)
$48.37
$83.42
In for the Kill by BudgieIn for the Kill by Budgie
Repertoire
$93.64
Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-08-03)Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-08-03)
$53.40

Budgie-Cardiff International Arena 2001-original advert framed USD $19.75 Buy It Now
BUDGIE CONCERT TICKET 1975 - FREE TRADE HALL MANCHESTER ENGLAND USD $23.72 Buy It Now
BUDGIE - IN FOR THE KILL. 1974 LP RECORD 1st UK PRESSING USD $39.53 [0 bids]
Budgie Squawk Hard Rock UK Press 1973 Issue USD $76.00 [12 bids]
Budgie If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules Hard Rock USD $20.50 [9 bids]
Budgie Bandolier Hard Rock USD $41.04 [7 bids]
Budgie Impeckable Hard Rock White Label Promo USD $17.50 [9 bids]
Budgie In For The Kill Hard Rock USD $41.00 [8 bids]
Budgie Power Supply Hard Rock UK Press USD $7.27 [5 bids]
BUDGIE- IMPECKABLE - ROCKIN' 1978 ALBUM ART PRINT T SHIRT- WHITE- EXTRA LARGE USD $15.80 [0 bids]
Budgie If I Was Brittania Id Wave the Rules SP4593 Record Vinyl Near Mint 18D092 USD $35.99 Buy It Now
BUDGIE (METAL) - BUDGIE [REMASTER] NEW CD USD $18.39 Buy It Now
Budgie-The BBC Recordings UK hard rock psych 2 cds USD $23.99 Buy It Now
Budgie "Never Turn Your Back on a Friend" LP 2012 Limited Wow-5501 Rock GERMAN USD $49.00 Buy It Now
BUDGIE (METAL) - BUDGIE [REMASTER] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.71 Buy It Now
Budgie An Ecstasy of Fumbling CD Two disc set w/slipcover Repertoire USD $29.99 Buy It Now 56m 14s
BUDGIE - BANDOLIER - VERY RARE 1975 AUSSIE LP - PROG/PSYCH USD $44.21 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Budgie - If I Were Britania I'D Waive The Rules (CD Used Like New) USD $14.32 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Budgie - If Swallowed Do Not Induce Vomiting (CD Used Like New) USD $10.34 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Budgie If I Were Britannia I'd Waive The Rules 1976 ORIG UK LP a USD $37.00 Buy It Now 2h 54m
NEW CD Album Budgie - Bandolier (Mini LP Style Card Case) USD $15.80 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Budgie ?- Bandolier Vinyl LP 2014 NEW & SEALED USD $22.12 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Budgie ?- Keeping A Rendezvous PICTURE DISC UK 7" vinyl USD $3.94 Buy It Now 8h 9m
Budgie - Deliver Us From Evil AudioCD USD $11.49 Buy It Now 9h 51m
BUDGIE Picture Disc 7" 45 Vinyl Single Keeping A Rendezvous FREE UK POST USD $6.57 Buy It Now 10h 3m
BUDGIE - Keeping A Rendezvous - 1981 UK limited edition 7" vinyl PICTURE DISC USD $13.16 Buy It Now 12h 10m
BUDGIE - Nightflight - CD - Import - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** - RARE USD $129.49 Buy It Now 14h 12m
BUDGIE~"IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAIVE THE RULES"~AMLH 68377~A2/B2 1st~76'~ EX/EX USD $39.46 Buy It Now 16h 28m
@ CD BUDGIE - BANDOLIER / PICTURE DISC - REPERTOIRE RECORDS 1990 - LIM. EDITION USD $24.99 Buy It Now 16h 32m
The Creatures Siouxsie & Budgie Rare CD Hai Limited Edition USD $79.06 [0 bids]
Budgie..In For The Kill 1974 UK LP USD $74.99 Buy It Now 16h 52m
budgie if swallowed do not induce vomiting remastered CD USD $13.16 Buy It Now 17h 16m
VINYL LP - BUDGIE'S COUNTRY - SILVER ACE - HIL LP 1019 USD $11.85 Buy It Now 17h 26m
MOUNTAIN OF POWER: SELF-TITLED CD (KILLER 70s COVER JAMS CAPTAIN BEYOND USD $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 7m
Budgie The Little Helicopter - Singalong Songs & Stories 3cd Box Set by Various USD $8.19 Buy It Now 23h 29m
Budgie JAPAN 3 titles Mini LP SHM-CD PROMO BOX SET USD $131.99 Buy It Now 23h 45m
BUDGIE BANDOLIER UK ROCK Vinyl Album 1975 MCF 2723 USD $34.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Never Turn Your Back on a Friend by Budgie. USD $36.18 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE RUNNING FROM A DARK HORSE 5 CD USD $29.99 [0 bids]
USD $39.99 Buy It Now
NEW CD Album Budgie - In for the Kill (Mini LP Style Card Case) USD $10.32 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW CD Album Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend (Mini LP Style Card Case) USD $10.32 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE best of (greatest hits) LP VG/VG+ MCF 2766 hard rock, classic rock USD $40.09 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE IN FOR THE KILL / JAPAN USD $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE - IMPECKABLE RARE CD (+ 3 BONUSTRACKS) Jewel Case+GIFT Rock USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
READING ROCK VOLUME ONE - 1982 DOUBLE LP - BUDGIE,UFO,WHITESNAKE,TWISTED SISTER USD $10.54 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - The Best Of Budgie [CD] USD $6.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Deliver Us From Evil CD 1982/1993 Repertoire USD $29.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Nightflight CD 1981/1993 Repertoire USD $29.34 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE best of (greatest hits) LP VG/VG+ MCF 2766 hard rock, classic rock USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE CREATURES SIOUXSIE & BUDGIE 2 LP VINYL LOT: BOOMERANG, FEAST (IMPORT) USD $50.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Nightflight [New Vinyl] UK - Import USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - If I Were Brittania [New Vinyl] UK - Import USD $26.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - If I Were Brittania [New Vinyl] UK - Import USD $26.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Nightflight [New Vinyl] UK - Import USD $26.25 Buy It Now 1 day
@ CD BUDGIE - POWER SUPPLY REMASTERED / NOTEWORTHY PRODUCTIONS 2012 HARDROCK UK USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE RADIO SESSIONS 1974 & 1978 RARE OOP 2CD USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
EX-/EX- !! Tredegar/Self Titled/1986 Aries Gatefold LP/Budgie/NWOBHM USD $52.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie, Deliver Us From Evil Vinyl Record/LP *USED* USD $26.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie ?- Never Turn Your Back On A Friend HARD ROCK RARE LP Venezuela Edition USD $50.00 [0 bids]
Budgie ?- In For The Kill! HARD ROCK RARE LP Venezuela Edition USD $50.00 [0 bids]
Budgie ?- Bandolier HARD ROCK RARE LP Venezuela Edition Promotional USD $50.00 [0 bids]
Budgie-same UK hard rock psych cd 4 bonus USD $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie "Bandolier" 1975 UK MCA Records MCF-2723 EX USD $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE BANDOLIER / NM MINT- SUPERB COPY WITH OBI USD $299.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Never Turn Your Back On A Friend Japan CD OBI '90 1st press METALLICA USD $19.60 [23 bids]
Budgie ?- Best Of Budgie VINYL USD $15.15 [0 bids]
Squawk-180gm Vinyl - Budgie LP Free Shipping! USD $43.20 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE never turn your back on a friend Japan CD WMC5-83 USD $9.99 [1 bids]
BUDGIE best of budgie Japan CD OBI 18DN-39 USD $9.99 [0 bids]
BUDGIE - Impeckable - CD - Import - **Mint Condition** USD $46.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie 'IF I WERE BRITTANIA I'D WAVE THE RULES' White Label Promo LP RAREST USD $89.85 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Stubby Can Holder 2009 Australian Tour Logo USD $12.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie-Bandolier UK hard rock psych cd 4 bonus USD $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Repertoire LP> Budgie/In For The Kill USD $36.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Metallica - New Skulls For The Old Ceremony CD budgie slayer megadeth anthrax USD $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Rush - Fly By Night CD 80's US PDO press metallica dream theater anthrax budgie USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Metallica - Garage Inc 2CD 1st US press misfits mercyful fate motorhead budgie USD $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Metallica - Garage Inc 2CD 1st US press misfits mercyful fate budgie thin lizzy USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - CRASH COURSE / NUDE DISINTERGRATING 7" TURKEY RARE TURKISH USD $70.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - The Musical ~ VINYL LP + BOOKLET USD $21.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules [vinyl - 12"] 1976 a USD $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE Crash Course In Brain Surgery UK 7" MCA MKS 5072 1971 Ex USD $53.35 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE COMING IN TO TRAP ME 5 CD USD $29.99 [0 bids]
TREDEGAR BUDGIE NEVER GIVE AN INCH 3 CD USD $29.99 [0 bids]
BUDGIE - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF 6B) USD $14.43 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE APARATUS near mint 1991 UK 7 INCH PICTURE DISC USD $7.91 [0 bids]
BUDGIE APPARATUS excellent+ 1991 UK PICTURE DISC 45 SINGLE USD $6.59 [0 bids]
Budgie - Squawk - Budgie CD UBVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $26.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie-Keeping a rendezvous.7" picture disc USD $10.54 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE ~ I AINT NO MOUNTAIN ~ MCA 1975 UK HARD ROCK 7" VINYL SINGLE ~ NICE AUDIO USD $17.12 Buy It Now 2 days
BRUCE FORSYTH - MY LITTLE BUDGIE / I'M A GOOD BOY - 1960 7" SINGLE USD $2.64 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie / Never Turn Your Back On A Friend JAPAN WMC5-83 1ST PRESS!!!!! E USD $94.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie 1982 Vintage Original Europe Tour Sweater Size 38/40 (RARE) USD $58.57 Buy It Now 2 days
EX- !! Budgie/Crime against the world/1980 Active 7" Single USD $10.53 Buy It Now 2 days
Siouxsie Sioux & Budgie Rare Live 3 track CD USD $98.82 [0 bids]
ALCHEMIST, The/BUDGIE - The Good Book Vol 2 - CD (2xCD) USD $44.03 Buy It Now 2 days
I Turned To Stone Budgie Polish 7" vinyl single record S-445 TONPRESS 1981 USD $17.06 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie vinyl LP album record In For The Kill - 1st - EX UK MCF2546 MCA 1974 USD $104.02 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie I Turned To Stone - Orange 7" vinyl single record UK BUDGE4 RCA 1981 USD $16.73 Buy It Now 2 days
Bored With Russia Budgie UK 7" vinyl picture disc single RCAP271 RCA 1982 USD $14.43 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy BUDGIE music online Buy BUDGIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BUDGIE Budgie ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(25%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(52%)

BUDGIE Budgie reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Ever sought a nude disintegrating parachutist woman? Look no further!

While Welsh heavy rock band Budgie were formed in 1967 (under the name Hills Contemporary Grass), it took until 1971 for the band to release their first album. The line up indicates that the trio add mellotron to their basic guitar/bass/drums set up, but do not be fooled by this; this is an album of guitar driven rock. Produced by Rodger Bain there is a distinct relationship with the sound with Black Sabbath, who he also produced. Other bands who have clearly influenced or been influenced by Budgie are the likes of Led Zeppelin and Rush. In the case of the latter, the vocals of Burke Shelley bear a passing resemblance with those of Geddy Lee.

"Budgie" was recorded on 8 track tape in only four days, and while some overdubbing was subsequently added, this is essentially a live in the studio affair. The sleeve notes advise us that the band are "not particularly subtle", and that "They're not progressive (whatever you understand that to mean)", but the track arrangements can belie such statements.

The album is essentially a succession of blues rock numbers with the occasional softer counterpoint. The opening "Guts" is a heavy riff infested song which sets the scene well for both this and future albums. We are though caught off guard by the delicate acoustic "Everything in my heart" which follows, even if it does run for just a minute. The mood appears to continue on "The author", but the initial reflective nature of the track is soon replaced by a more orthodox heavy rock number.

It is though "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman" (what a wonderful title, it does actually feature in the lyrics!) which offers the first taste of the real Budgie. This superb 8 minute romp takes us through an altogether more adventurous arrangement. The lead guitar here is the highlight of the track, but the driving nature of the song combined with a genuine raw excitement, make for a compelling piece of early metal.

"Rape of the locks" is the first of three 6 minute pieces which make up side 2, the song featuring another interesting arrangement of what is essentially a basic blues rock number. "All night petrol" slows things down slightly, sounding a bit like Led Zeppelin's "Lemon song" at times. The track features another fine lead guitar break, this time with some upfront complementary bass.

"You and I" is another brief acoustic number which sounds distinctly like a John Lennon demo. The album closes with "Homicidal suicidal", another Sabbs like riff infested blues rock piece.

Budgie's relationship with prog comes not from their raw guitar based sound, but from the relative complexity of the arrangements of songs such as "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman". This, combined with their willingness to occasionally reveal their softer side, offers an appealing diversity to what would otherwise be a straightforward guitar rock album. No one for the prog purists by any means, but those interested in discovering the roots of prog metal and those looking for some good old fashioned lead guitar magic should find much to enjoy here. Great sleeve too!

Review by Chris S
3 stars 1971....twas a good year..and it was too for the Welsh trio called Budgie, fronted by Burke Shelley on vocals and bass, Tony Bourge ala guitar and in this beginning period Ray Phillips doing the drums and percussion. The albums kicks off with the rockin plodder ' Guts'. It sets the tone for the trademark Budgie sound that followed for many years. ' Everything in My heart' is a short ballady interlude which they practiced in similar ways on follow up work. ' The Author ' is next and starts off as a slow bluesy song nicely tempered by Shelley's great voice and builds with some great straight forward rock like guitar riffs. If you have never heard Budgie but like early Rush then do yourself a favour and try this band out. They won't disappoint and consistently provided some great music over the next decade or so not least on this solid debut.

' Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' is an eight minute guitar rock fest not disimilar to some Wishbone Ash material. Bourge highlighting his talents on the guitar. My personal favourite is ' Rape the Locks' which swerves all over the show with some great riffs and drumming from Phillips. ' You And I' is another short track setting a nice moody balance between the more energetic themes with tranquility. ' Homicidal Suicidal' closes the set with some great Shelley wails amidst blues and rock backdrops. Important note: Rodger Bain of Black Sabbath fame produces this album. A good start on the rock scene for Budgie, not necessarily high in progressive 'points' but a solid album to enjoy or even explore if you need an introduction to this interesting band from Wales,UK.

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars The debut album of Welsh heavy trio smashed the ears of the early 1970's listeners pretty hard, I understood they had the most strongest sound of that time along with Black Sabbath. I have understood that these groups were considered as pioneers of the stoner rock sound: heavy repetitive metal riffs with pulsing groovy rhythm and long tracks with simple structure. Budgie's personal sound is built from Tony Bourge's acoustic electric guitar, which has very unclear and fuzzy sound. He plays very hard riffs and also great blues rock solos. Burke Shelley's bass guitar and wild and heavy drumming of Ray Phillips dominate the sound with volume, and though I like the sound texture I would wish the guitar being slightly more in front. When I learned myself to play bass guitar, I listened and learned over to these early Budige vinyls, as their melodic lines are pleasant but simple, and very audible on the instruments I tried to meditate. The vocals of the bass player are really funny, sounding like a woman or a young child. I think there is a similar contrast like in the band's name, Budgie representing a group which was very heavy rock in its time.

The song titles "Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman" represent the lyrical line: Jokes and quite poor though possibly sincere everyman's poetry. From the songs, the most best of them is in my opinion "The Author", combining a moody quiet acoustic beginning, which evolves in a pretty way to very aggressive stoner jamming. The starter "Guts" is also ok, building up from a simple chromatic riff. "Rape of The Locks" and "All Night Petrol" have some slightly irritating parts in them, but there are some interesting musical parts in them. The parachutists song is bit too long so it starts to sound boring after several plays, and the few ca. minute lasting folk tunes sound more like unfinished song ideas. The final song "Homicidal Suicidal" is then one of the best songs here, having very aggressive parts, double bass drums and fuzzy sound.

If you like other 1970's vintage heavy rock bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but have not heard yet Budgie, I would recommend their four or five first albums warmly. A taste for personal sounds and tolerance for extreme vocals are required.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Budgie's debut is a fun album from a fun band which makes for a generally fun listen. I think they have the honour of being the first hard-rock group ever that was influenced by Black Sabbath. 3000 others would follow.

The album is somewhat inconsistent and drags on a bit, but it has a number of competent heavy blues tracks that fans of Zeppelin and Black Sabbath shouldn't miss. Due to the high-pitched Plant squeal of Burke Shelley, the band also sounds like the later debut from Rush. The album starts strongly with Guts, a mix of Page guitars and Plant vocals with Butler bass and Ward drums. Originality wasn't the idea I guess. The delicate 50 seconds of Everything In My Heart has more personality then the tracks around it. More adequate Zep and Sab jamming follows on The Author, Nude Disintegrating etc... and Homicidal Suicidal.

This band hasn't all that much on offer and next to nothing proggy, but they might appeal to prog fans to whom the idea of a Black Zeppelin sounds alluring. In fact, I would nominate Budgie for being the first grunge band ever.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Budgie's debut album, with its high-pitched singing, fast playing, and one obligatory acoustic love song (You and I) might be confused for a standard early 70s hard rock release... except for the guitars. The sludgy, fuzz-drenched guitar line on opening song Guts makes it clear that here is a band that has been paying attention to Black Sabbath.

Whilst they're not as heavy as Sabbath was, it ought to be remembered that in 1971 *nobody* was as heavy as Sabbath was - and these boys come very, very close indeed. Generally playing at a fast tempo which would influence both the early New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands and Metallica, the group is also capable of slowing it down a bit to an almost doomy pace at points, as well as producing long, complex pieces such as Nude Disintegrating Parachute Woman and Homicidal Suicidal. Fans of early metal, stoner metal, and progressive metal will all find plenty to enjoy in this one.

4 stars I adore this band, there is just something about the music that grabs me and holds tight although I can't really decipher what it is - I just go with the flow without trying to analyse the music and what it is that makes me a full on band fan. The vocals, to me, are what a Budgie would sound like ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020764) | Posted by sukmytoe | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although not in the true sense of Progressive Rock, Budgie has been one of my favourite prog related acts for a while. This album is near and dear to my heart, with it's mix of Zeppelin styled vocals from Burke Shelley and fast, heavy almost sludge of Sababth mixed in. There are obvious blue ... (read more)

Report this review (#338364) | Posted by Jazzywoman | Monday, November 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BUDGIE "Budgie"