EARTHLING

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1997

1. Little Wonder (6:02)
2. Looking for Satellites (5:21)
3. Battle for Britain (The Letter) (4:49)
4. Seven Years in Tibet (6:22)
5. Dead Man Walking (7:26)
6. Telling Lies (4:50)
7. The Last Thing You Should Do (4:58)
8. I'm Afraid of Americans (5:00)
9. Law (Earthlings on Fire) (4:49)

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Earthling tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, alto sax, keyboards, samples, producer

With:
- Reeves Gabrels / programming, synthesizers, real & sampled guitars, vocals
- Mark Plati / programming, loops, samples, keyboards
- Mike Garson / keyboards, piano
- Gail Ann Dorsey / bass, vocals
- Zachary Alford / acoustic & electronic drums & programming (loops)

CD Arista ‎- 7432143077 2 (1997, Europe)

Thanks to classicrocker for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Earthling Music

Rhino/Parlophone 2016
ISO Sony 2004
Extra tracks · Remastered
Sony 2004
Earthling + 1Earthling + 1
Earthling by Columbia Europe (2003-06-04)Earthling by Columbia Europe (2003-06-04)
Columbia Europe (2003-06-04)
Sony / Bmg Japan 2004
Audio CD$23.58 (used)
Hours / EarthlingHours / Earthling
Sony Bmg Europe 2007

David Bowie-Earthling In The City - OOP RARE Promo CD - Slip Sleeve - Awesome! USD $5.00 Buy It Now
David Bowie - Earthling - David Bowie CD R5VG The Fast Free Shipping USD $8.47 Buy It Now 6h 40m
?FREESHIPPING?DAVID BOWIE?EARTHLING?JAPAN RARE SAMPLE CD NEW?WPCR-80336 USD $28.00 Buy It Now 9h 46m
David Bowie - Earthling/Excerpts from Outside/Heathen/Reality/Hours - 2007 USD $262.76 Buy It Now 9h 57m
David Bowie - Earthling - Signed Mounted Print USD $15.83 Buy It Now 12h 47m
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING FRAMED ART PRINT 147/950 USD $85.83 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Earthling - 2 CD Limited Edition - (Moby - Nine Inch Nails Remix) USD $14.99 [0 bids]
USD $29.99 Buy It Now
David Bowie - Outside/Earthling/Hours/Heathen/Reality 10CD Box Set Very Rare NEW USD $197.02 Buy It Now 21h 20m
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling in the City - CD - USA - CQ MAGAZINE - PROMO RARE [email protected]@K USD $20.86 Buy It Now 21h 39m
DAVID BOWIE - Earthling US virgin promo cassette + 1 page press release USD $99.03 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Ticket - Los Angeles - Hollywood - USA - 1997 Earthling Tour USD $6.59 [0 bids]
David Bowie Ticket - Philadelphia - USA - 1997 Earthling Tour USD $6.59 [0 bids]
David Bowie Earthling Blue & Green Limited MOV Transp. Coloured Vinyl LP Sealed USD $349.91 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE - SUPERB 'EARTHLING / CROSS' - STUNNING 11oz COLLECTORS MUG USD $6.59 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING LIMITED EDITION BLUE VINYL MINT & SEALED (MOVLP815) USD $78.15 [8 bids]
david bowie earthling Vinyl MOVLP815 Unplayed USD $46.21 [15 bids]
Rare David Bowie Earthling Carded Case 2 Cds MINT and Concert Ticket Stub EX USD $84.33 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling CD European Parlophone 2016 9 Track (0825646507535) USD $10.15 Buy It Now 2 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) USD $6.99 [0 bids]
ROYAL MAIL DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING LIMITED EDITION 950 FRAMED STAMP USD $145.24 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie CD Bundle- Changes-Earthling-Heathen-Low Rare Remastered USD $34.32 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - Earthling (CD 1997) USD $5.61 Buy It Now 3 days
1997 USA VIRGIN VERSION! NOT 2003 REISSUE!!) Earthling David Bowie CD OOP USD $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie "Earthling In The City" Promo Only 6 Tracks USD $10.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING BVCA-721 CD JAPAN 1997 NEW USD $122.06 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE 'EARTHLING' CD (2016) USD $7.59 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING CD 1997 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Earthling [New CD] USD $12.45 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Earthling [New CD] USD $11.68 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE+Earthling+POSTER+AD+RARE ORIGINAL 1997+FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP USD $92.36 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING 2 CD BOOKLET MINT & SEALED USD $92.41 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Earthling in the City CD PROMO! 1997 LTD ED 6 tracks Ziggy Stardust USD $21.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEW & SEALED 10 CD BOX SET - OUTSIDE HEATHEN HOURS EARTHLING - OOP USD $198.06 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Earthling *BLUE WAX* RARE MOV Numbered,180g, 2000 Pressed BRAND NEW USD $115.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE-EARTHLING IN THE CITY 1997 ADVANCE ECD 6 SONGS HEARTS FILTHY LESSON USD $5.25 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie ?- Earthling In The City CD GQ Magazine Seven Years In Tibet 6 Track USD $11.86 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Earthling: CD Incs; Dead Man Walking, Little Wonder USD $6.27 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Earthling - VG+ / NM CD USD $14.52 Buy It Now 5 days
Earthling in the City by David Bowie 1997 Promotional Only CD includes 6 Tracks USD $12.03 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE * EARTHLING IN THE CITY ~1997 Enhanced CD * Promotional EP USD $8.40 Buy It Now 5 days
Earthling - David Bowie - CD Album 1997 USD $9.24 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Earthling - CD Album - 2 CD Limited Edition - COL 511935 9 USD $99.02 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie - Earthling - CD USD $18.47 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE-EARTHLING-JAPAN CD C94 USD $15.50 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie - Earthling CD (1997) Original Issue USD $11.87 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie Earthling In The City 1997 CD GQ Promo Six Tracks USD $9.98 Buy It Now 7 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) 724384262723 USD $8.95 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie Earthling LP Music On Vinyl Black USD $89.00 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling JAPAN CD SICP542 2004 reissue w/OBI+BOOKLET Ex-Rental USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City PROMO CD 3 rare LIVE TRACKS & rare MIX USD $18.99 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie Earthling in the City Promo Promotional Slipcase Enhanced 1997 CD USD $3.80 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie Earthling Cassette Tape USD $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
DAVID BOWIE STAMP featuring Earthling,1997 USD $4.74 Buy It Now 9 days
Royal Mail David Bowie Framed Earthling Stamp & High Quality Giclée Print LE950 USD $165.05 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie 4 CD lot Let's Dance Earthling Reality (2CD) Best Of 1974 1979 USD $22.00 Buy It Now 9 days
David Bowie - Earthling (1997 Cassette + Foldout Sleeve 74321449444) Exc Cond USD $9.23 Buy It Now 10 days
Earthling by David Bowie (CD, Feb-1997, Virgin) Album USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie - Earthling [CD] USD $8.70 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie 1997 Earthling Taiwan Box Cassette Tape with Promo Sticker Sealed USD $79.99 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie - Earthling - A4 Photo Print USD $6.01 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Earthling Mint Sealed Limited Edition Green 180 g Vinyl FRM-42627 USD $92.20 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie Album Cover Drinks Coaster. 28 Album Options. USD $6.60 Buy It Now 10 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Framed Album Cover Print ACPPR48155 USD $16.49 Buy It Now 11 days
DAVID BOWIE earthling in the city USA PROMO CD 1997 6 TR USD $40.00 Buy It Now 11 days
David Bowie - Earthling (CD 2003) NEW AND SEALED USD $7.91 Buy It Now 11 days
David Bowie Earthling CD 1997 Promo USD $9.49 Buy It Now 12 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING - ORIGINAL MAGAZINE MUSIC ADVERT POSTER 1997 USD $7.59 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie Earthling promo postcard USD $13.20 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie 'Earthling' Peel-Off promo postcard USD $13.20 Buy It Now 12 days
David Bowie Earthling LP Advert USD $13.20 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PHOTO Print POSTER The Next Day Blackstar Ziggy Stardust 8 USD $4.61 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PHOTO Print POSTER The Next Day Blackstar Ziggy Stardust 8 USD $6.59 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling PHOTO Print POSTER The Next Day Blackstar Ziggy Stardust 8 USD $19.79 Buy It Now 13 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING BLACK VINYL LP NEW MOVLP815 2013 USD $179.00 Buy It Now 13 days
David Bowie Earthling limited framed hand numbered print & stamp NEW/SEALED USD $236.44 Buy It Now 14 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING IN THE CITY 1997 * TESTED * 6 TRACKS PROMOTIONAL ITEM USD $5.99 Buy It Now 14 days
David Bowie Earthling CD Original 1997 CD With Fold Out Sleeve USD $26.39 Buy It Now 14 days
David Bowie Earthling 2 CD Hardback Book Edition NEW & SEALED Rare USD $92.41 Buy It Now 14 days
Earthling - David Bowie 825646507535 (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.48 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $6.47 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING NEW CD USD $8.39 Buy It Now 15 days
David Bowie - Earthling Country Gent. - A4 Photo Print USD $6.01 Buy It Now 15 days
(DIFFERENT LABEL GRAPHIC VARIATION!) DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING IN CITY RARE PROMO CD USD $7.50 Buy It Now 15 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING IN CITY RARE PROMO CD EXCLUSIVE LIVE TRACK AND REMIXES USD $7.50 Buy It Now 15 days
Rare David Bowie 2 CD Boxset Hours Earthling IMPORT Sealed Edition Sleeved MINT USD $71.47 Buy It Now 16 days
Rare David Bowie 2 CD Boxset Hours Earthling IMPORT Sealed Edition France USD $88.88 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie Framed Earthling Stamp & Print Limited Edition no 592 SEALED USD $132.04 Buy It Now 16 days
Rare David Bowie Earthling 10 Tracks inc poster OBI Booklet Arista Japan Import USD $91.24 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie Earthling Press Kit For Birthday Bash 1997 USD $262.76 Buy It Now 16 days
Earthling - DAVID BOWIE - CD USD $10.70 Buy It Now 16 days
David Bowie - Earthling - 2016 (NEW CD) USD $9.56 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie - Outside - Earthling - Hours - Limited Number 532 Of 2000 Box Set USD $237.66 Buy It Now 17 days
DAVID BOWIE - EARTHLING NEW CD 1997 Rock Art Progressive ISO Records Compact d USD $12.99 Buy It Now 17 days
RARE PROMO David Bowie CD Earthling BRIAN ENO Tin Machine The Cure little wonder USD $14.99 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie Little Wonder / Telling Lies 2-track cardsleeve CD single Earthling USD $6.99 Buy It Now 17 days
DAVID BOWIE Earthling in the City Promo Promotional 6 Tracks 1997 CD Free Ship USD $8.99 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie "Earthling" CD Virgin Records 7243-8-42627-2-3 PROMO! USD $10.00 Buy It Now 17 days
David Bowie - Earthling - Mounted Press Poster USD $15.83 Buy It Now 18 days
DAVID BOWIE EARTHLING CD FROM 1997 REEVES GABRELS MIKE GARSON ZACK ALFORD USD $20.99 Buy It Now 18 days

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DAVID BOWIE Earthling ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(25%)

DAVID BOWIE Earthling reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars WHERE IS THE LITTLE WONDER ?

If you think that "Outside" was a one shot album to feature techno beats or deep house investigations; you were wrong. Here comes "Earthling".

Although some of the songs could be considered as straight forward Bowie numbers, these background rhythms are completely denaturizing them. But this is only my opinion.

I have never been into this type of music, and even being a Bowie fan, I'm not deaf, dumb and blind (remember the no more heroes stuff). Lots of heavy post-grunge sounds as well, make this album rather difficult to bear.

I particularly hate "Dead Man Walking" and its house beat. But actually I don't like this album at all. At least "Outside" had an interesting storyboard, even if the music could never move me. "Earthling" doesn't have this feature.

As usual, the clips are highly creative and might be sufficient to apprehend this album. The live version of "Telling Lies" recorded in Amsterdam (Paradiso) and available on "LiveAndWell.com" is far much superior to the studio one. Simply rocking. But I like this.

One of the only bearable song to my ears is "I'm Afraid Of Americans". It depicts the invasion of the American "culture" all over the world (David once mentioned that he first thought of this while seeing the opening of the Mac Donald's in Indonesia).

The song is not a new one, it was co-written by Eno and Bowie and appeared in the movie "Showgirls" from the Dutch film director Paul Verhoeven (1995).

This album could have maybe been a decent one if restricted to a more straight-forward rock sound (like while played live). As such, I just can't stand it. What did you do David? One star.

Review by snobb
2 stars So, here we have a good example how one can kill the good music. The recipe is - use heavy simplistic drum machine!

Bowie's last album from "new-electronic" era. There are some good songs - "I'm Afraid Of Americans" or "Little Wonder", some good instrumental arrangements ( in "Seven Years In Tibet "or "Law" songs). In fact, there is enough of strong material for good Bowie album. But the realisation killed it!

I don't think it's done by mistake - Bowie is too professional for that. I think the idea was just to catch young fans , so the main accent was put into heavy techno/house rhytnms.

The result we know - no new listeners, and negative reaction from old fans. And there isn't a classic case with Bowie experimentation. I think, music just was killed by that. It's pity, I think from that material strong Bowie album could be produced.

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars Bowie sounds like a damned fool on this album. For his latest effort in proving how hip to the times he was, Bowie embraced the cutting-edge programmed percussion styles of 1997, and he often lets the songs go for long stretches where his programmed percussion is the only important part of the sound. The harder he tries, though, the clearer it is that he's a poseur (he was 50 when this album came out!!!) and the more I wish he would just go back to arranging his songs like on Buddha of Suburbia. This album has aged horrendously, and in my observations has been one that has been disproportionately easy to find used at very cheap prices.

And yet, out of the nine tracks on here, only two seem flat-out bad to me. "The Last Thing You Should Do" is notable only in how un-notable it is, and the closing "Law (Earthlings on Fire)" is every bit as embarrassing as "Pallas Athena" was in 1993, but once I get used to the monotonous percussion choices, I find myself enjoying every other song on here. "Dead Man Walking," for instance, sounds at first like Bowie has made one of the tackiest songs of his entire career, and yet I wasn't surprised at all when I saw a video of him performing an acoustic version of the song that sounded like a career highlight. The arrangement is hideous, mind you, but the song itself is good enough that I wouldn't mind hearing it again once in a while. And the rest just sounds like a bunch of solid, tweaked pop songs crossed with horrible techno monsters. The opening "Little Wonder" is basically just a lightweight pop ballad, except in the moments where it gets dark in the "so far away" repeated vocals, and it definitely sets a pleasant tone for the album. The "SATELLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITES" backing vocal part is a strong enough hook to make "Looking for Satellites" enjoyable, and I even like the endless noisemaking of Gabrels' guitar playing. "Battle for Britain (The Letter)" is a little too noisy and chaotic to work completely given how relatively simplistic it is at its core, but I like the individual ideas, and the song works better than it probably should. "Seven Years in Tibet" annoys me more than a bit when the "trance" beat is pushed to the forefront, but whenever it slips out of that mode into a heavy guitar rocker, I'm thoroughly sucked in. It's got a nice vocal melody, anyway, even if I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. And "Telling Lies," well, I crack up every time I hear that dead-man croak saying the title of the song; I just have to get around the drums, as usual.

But of course, the big highlight is "I'm Afraid of Americans," originally a collaboration with Brian Eno and infamous for getting remixed by Nine Inch Nails. This is the one case on the album (in my opinion) where the percussion is used in service of the song and not as a gimmick, as it works with the jittery synth line and the stuttering backing vocal sounds in a nearly ideal manner. The lyrics are really great as well; I feel like the minimalism helps amp up the paranoid vibe of the song even further, to the point that when Bowie cuts in with, "God is an American" it almost sounds horrifying. It's a freaking classic on an album that badly needs a freaking classic.

So ok, I can't say I love this album, and I'm not even sure I would recommend it, but if you can cut through the jungle of, um, jungle, there's some awfully good material here. If you can find it for a couple of dollars (and believe me, you probably can), consider getting it.

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Hardly a little "wonder", but good still

This album is not very highly regarded here on our beloved archives, but at the time of its release in 1997 Earthling was (in my personal opinion anyway) the best Bowie effort since 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) and thus something of a comeback for the man. I used to listen to this album a lot at the time when I discovered it, which must have been a few years after its release. Listening to it again now several years later, the quality of the album does not hold up as well as it used to for me. But I still find enjoyment in several of the tracks, particularly the opening Little Wonder. Many Rock fans will undoubtedly be turned off by Bowie's seemingly wholehearted embrace of contemporary production and particularly the programmed drums (sometimes mixed with real drums) that occasionally creates the feeling of a re-mix album. But one might keep in mind that Bowie has always been embracing new sounds and technology throughout his long career - sometimes with success and other times with less success.

Some tracks on Earthling are admittedly a bit annoying due to their repetitiveness, like Looking For Satellites and The Last Thing You Should Do. But generally, Bowie sounds inspired and you can tell that he had fun in the making of this album. Several of the songs have witty lyrics. What this album lacks is one or two more relaxed tunes that would let the listener catch his breath a bit.

Bowie would go on to make better albums in 'hours...' and Heathen, but Earthling somehow indicated a new beginning. Overall, it is a worthwhile listen.

4 stars Rating: 8/10 Bowie recovers his underground and always advanced-for-the-time style, now in the '90s. Corrosive, aggressive; some times too much filled with claustrophobic and lo-fi beats but that's exactly what makes it weird, yes a WEIRD album in Bowie's catalogue after almost four deca ... (read more)

Report this review (#459201) | Posted by Mattiias | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars When I listen to albums like these I get angry! I can imagine Bowie sitting on his own thinking: "Well...I guess I must create an album that appeals to all the youngsters out there that only know me by the single "China Girl" - I must show them that I am a hip dude. Let´s make an album with d ... (read more)

Report this review (#259488) | Posted by Matte | Tuesday, January 5, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Earthling"