NEVER LET ME DOWN

Collectors/fans only

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1987

1. Day-In Day-Out (4:38)
2. Time Will Crawl (4:18)
3. Beat Of Your Drum (4:32)
4. Never Let Me Down (4:03)
5. Zeroes (5:46)
6. Glass Spider (4:56)
7. Shining Star (Makin' My Love) (4:05)
8. New York's In Love (3:55)
9. '87 And Cry (3:53)
10. Too Dizzy (3:58)
11. Bang Bang (4:02)

Total time 48:06

- David Bowie / vocals, Rap (7), guitar, keyboards, Mellotron, Moog, tambourine, harmonica, co-producer

With:
- Carlos Alomar / guitar, synth guitar, tambourine, backing vocals (5)
- Peter frampton / lead guitar
- Sid McGinnis / lead guitar (1,2,11)
- Erdal Kizilšay / keyboards, drums, bass, trumpet, guitar (2), violin (11), backing vocals (5)
- Philippe Saisse / piano, keyboards (2)
- Laurie Frink / trumpet
- Errol "Crusher" Bennett / percussion
- Robin Clark / backing vocals
- Loni Groves / backing vocals
- Diva Gray / backing vocals
- Gordon Grodie / backing vocals (5)
- The Coquettes (Coco, Sandro, Charuvan, Joe, Clement, John & Aglae) / backing vocals (5)
- Mickey Rourke / Rap (7)

Artwork: Mick Haggerty

LP EMI America ‎- PJ-17267 (1987, US)

CD EMI America ‎- CDP 7 46677 2 (1987, Europe) Some tracks are slightly longer compared to the LP
CD EMI ‎- 521 8940 (1999, Europe) Remaster by Nigel Reeve & Peter Mew; original track 10 not included

Thanks to MANDRAKEROOT for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down Music

Reissued
Virgin Int'l 1999
$4.99
$19.95
never let me down 45 rpm singlenever let me down 45 rpm single
$14.99
David Bowie: Never Let Me Down (11 Tracks) (Custom Inner Sleeve Contains Lyrics, Personnel) [Vinyl LP] [Stereo]David Bowie: Never Let Me Down (11 Tracks) (Custom Inner Sleeve Contains Lyrics, Personnel) [Vinyl LP] [Stereo]
Original recording · Extra tracks
EMI America / BMG Direct
EMI Import 1999
$39.97
David Bowie : Never Let Me Down / '87 And Cry [6 Tracks Single] (12David Bowie : Never Let Me Down / '87 And Cry [6 Tracks Single] (12" 33 RPM Vinyl)
EMI (USA)
Never Let Me Down by David BowieNever Let Me Down by David Bowie
$47.47

DAVID BOWIE never let me down JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED USD $19.99 Buy It Now
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN LP VINYL RECORD RARE BRAZIL BRASIL IMPORT USD $24.49 Buy It Now 3h 49m
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN (NEAR MINT A2/B2 PRESS - LYRIC INNER - AMLS3117) USD $7.30 [2 bids]
David Bowie Vinyl CD Display Black or Gold Disc and 3 film cells and label USD $33.83 Buy It Now 5h 16m
David Bowie Vinyl CD Display Black or Gold Disc and 3 film cells and label USD $18.57 Buy It Now 5h 16m
David Bowie 45 Rock '87 And Cry Never Let Me Down 1987 Glossy Mint- USD $4.00 Buy It Now 8h 43m
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN 1983 EXYU CASSETTE TAPE USD $13.74 Buy It Now 8h 57m
DAVID BOWIE ?Never Let Me Down LP EMI America ?PJ-17267 US 1987 VG++ 14G USD $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 10m
DAVID BOWIE / NEVER LET ME DOWN EYS-91221 JAPAN LP Vinyl S359 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 42m
David Bowie Never Let Me Down Cassette EMI Records USD $9.95 Buy It Now 15h 31m
LP - David Bowie, Never Let Me Down - Cat# ST240746 EMI Australian Release USD $22.26 Buy It Now 20h 25m
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN / 87┤AND CRY UK PS 7" 1987 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 23h 23m
David Bowie Never Let Me Down 5 Remix 12" Single 1987 ULTRASONIC CLEAN USD $10.39 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down JAPAN CD TOCP-70156 2007 NEW USD $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down (Digitally Remastered, 2002) USD $6.64 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down [Remastered] CD (1999) 1987 USD $10.98 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE - Never Let Me Down. 1999 - SCARCE U.S. PROMO LABEL (see pic 2) *NM* USD $28.00 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN EMI AMERICA ANALOG RECORDING DIGITAL MIX-CD USD $1.07 [2 bids]
David Bowie 1987 Never Let Me Down (PJ-17267) 12" Vinyl 33 LP ROCK Asylum VG++ USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down EMI US CD cdp7 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN - 1987 7" P/S EX - LOTS MORE BOWIE IN MY SHOP!! USD $5.31 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie CD album (CDLP) Never Let Me Down Japanese TOCP-70156 EMI Japan USD $29.85 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN LP MADE IN BRAZIL ORIGINAL 1st PRESS 1987 USD $24.65 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down SHM MINI LP CD JAPAN TOCP-95056 USD $39.09 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down / '87 And Cry 45 with PicSleeve USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - Never Let Me Down (Rare Original 1997 Cassette Tape) USD $17.19 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN - UNITED KINGDOM 45 SINGLE USD $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down on EMI Lyrics on Sleve with Shrink USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
2 David Bowie NEAR MINT 12" vinyl LPs 1983 Let's Dance/1987 Never Let Me Down NM USD $57.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Vintage David Bowie vinyl record album Never Let Me Down USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE never let me down (original uk & inner) LP EX+/EX AMLS 3117 pop rock USD $31.29 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down LP w Hype Sticker Lyrics USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE never let me down (original uk & inner) LP EX+/EX AMLS 3117 pop rock USD $31.82 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down 12" LP Album Vinyl USD $15.93 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE never let me down JAPAN mini lp SHM CD NEW USD $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - Never Let Me Down, ORIGINAL 1987 UK LP / inner......NICE COPY USD $6.62 [0 bids]
David Bowie Never Let Me Down Extended Remix EX USD $8.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie Never Let Me Down 12" Vinyl Album EMI America Records AMLS 3117 VG USD $19.89 [0 bids]
Never Let Me Down by David Bowie Japanese mini LP - CD with obi USD $18.74 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie ?- Never Let Me Down - Vinyl, LP, Album - US 1987 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $10.50 Buy It Now
CD DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down EMI 1987 JAPAN ORIGINAL MINT USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down/'87 And Cry 7" 45RPM w/Pic Sleeve EMI B-43031 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE, ADRIAN BELEW Never Let Me Down JAPAN CD VJCP-25212 1995 USD $30.08 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN 0724352189403 NEW CD USD $11.88 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie CD album (CDLP) Never Let Me Down UK 5218940 EMI 1999 USD $16.58 Buy It Now 4 days
Never Let Me Down David Bowie USA CD album (CDLP) CDP7466772 EMI 1987 USD $36.50 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN-SPECIAL JAPAN CD OBI 2000yen CP20 SEALED 1ST PRESS USD $99.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN - rare Japanese Mini-LP CD USD $23.87 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE ~ NEVER LET ME DOWN ~ DIDX1378 ~ JAPAN PRESSING ~ LIKE NEW CD USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie "Never Let Me Down" Record - GC USD $4.17 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down / '87 and Cry 45RPM Vinyl VG+ USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN - EMI Records PJ-17267 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down Cd DIDX 1378 CDP7466772 Made in Japan USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down. 12 Track Cassette Album 1987. Play Tested. USD $7.95 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE "Never Let Me Down" EMI AMERICA 17267- STILL SEALED- W/HYPE USD $29.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN rare GREEK LETTERING LP 1987 SEMI SEALED ! USD $23.23 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie ?- Never Let Me Down - Vinyl, LP, Album - US 1987 USD $2.88 [0 bids]
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down BRAZIL RARE CASSETTE 1987 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down Taiwan CD w/OBI 1999 Day In Day Out NEW USD $59.79 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie EMI 17267 Never Let Me Down USD $13.50 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down/'87 And Cry(Single) US 45 w/EMI Paper Sleeve USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE CASSETTE 1987 NEVER LET ME DOWN USD $7.50 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down (EMI 1987) Made In Japan - NO BARCODE CD USD $15.91 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie-Never Let Me Down-1987 EMI America CDP7466772.CD.Made in Japan USD $19.50 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie ~ NEVER LET ME DOWN ~ cd 1987 NEW LONGBOX (long box) Peter Frampton USD $87.99 Buy It Now 5 days
David Bowie ?- Never Let Me Down (Japan) (1989) USD $14.84 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down 1987 11 track made in japan - RARE USD $66.36 Buy It Now 5 days
DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN 1987 UNIQUE EXYU CASSETTE USD $10.99 Buy It Now 6 days
RARE STILL SEALED DAVID BOWIE NEVER LET ME DOWN ORIGINAL1987 12"VINYL RECORD LP USD $40.00 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE "NEVER LET ME DOWN / 87 AND CRY" 1987 UK MAXI SINGLE EMI AMERICA OOP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie "Never Let Me Down(3)"/"'87 & Cry" UK 12" 45rpm EP w pic sleeve exc USD $3.50 [0 bids]
USD $5.50 Buy It Now
David Bowie Never Let Me Down / '87 & Cry 45 PS M- 1987 Pop Rock EMI B-43031 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down 1987 UK 11-track LP spot lacquered picture sleeve. USD $13.27 [0 bids]
greek DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN USD $14.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE - Never Let Me Down - CD - Import - **Excellent Condition** USD $22.95 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE-EMI 4031 PROMO ROCK 45RPM W/PS NEVER LET ME DOWN PS VG++ 45 M- USD $12.95 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN, PJ 17267 EMI AMERICA USD $26.00 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE - NEVER LET ME DOWN - CASSETTE TAPE USD $14.95 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie LP Never Let Me Down 1987 Lyric Inner EX BRAZIL PRESS USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie ?Lp Vinyl Never Let Me Down / EMI America ?64 2407461 Sealed USD $33.51 Buy It Now 6 days
David Bowie never let me down - Cassette Tape USD $6.46 Buy It Now 6 days
DAVID BOWIE-"NEVER LET ME DOWN"- RARE PRE-BARCODED EDITION 1987-CDP7466772 -NEW USD $23.87 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie - Never let me Down ( music cassette ) USD $9.42 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE, Never Let Me Down EEC 1st press EXC- LP Day-In Day-Out/Time Crawl USD $9.99 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down [CD] USD $7.94 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE 12" NEVER LET ME DOWN brazil ID# 09024 PROMO ONLY EMI 9951052 EX au USD $40.00 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE lp NEVER LET ME DOWN brazil ID# 60052 987 EMI 064240476 NM NM automa USD $50.00 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE lp NEVER LET ME DOWN mexico ID# 09014 PUNCH HOLE ON COVER -1987 EMI USD $50.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Never Let Me Down by David Bowie (CD, 1987, EMI America Records) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DAVID BOWIE-NEVER LET ME DOWN NEW CD USD $63.86 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie Never Let Me Down Usa 12" USD $13.99 Buy It Now 7 days
David Bowie - Never let Me Down Japanese orig' EMI LP obi 1984 w/Day In Day Out USD $39.99 Buy It Now 8 days
45 RECORD 7" SINGLE - DAVID BOWIE- NEVER LET ME DOWN USD $2.25 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie 4 CD LOT Sound+Vision Plus, Tin Machine, Outside, Never Let Me Down USD $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie EMI 17267 Never Let Me Down USD $13.50 Buy It Now 8 days
David Bowie - Never Let Me Down - (Cassette) USD $5.39 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(4%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(7%)

DAVID BOWIE Never Let Me Down reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars It took some three years to Bowie to recover from the release of "Tonight". His first blunder of his long career. No excuse as for his debut album. But here we go for what Bowie himself considers as his weakest album.

Actually, the first couple of songs are not that bad. But what is more interesting are both video clips. "Day-In, Day-Out" will be even banned from several TV channels (of which the BBC). Just have a look on You Tube. It is true that the images are rather raw and violent.

The second song "Time Will Crawl" will also be released as a single, but won't really chart. Just as the title track which is slightly better though. It is often considered as homage to Lennon. It is true that it reflects the melancholy of some Lennon songs. But I guess that the fans were cooled down by the harsh reviews of the album and were a bit hesitant in grabbing anything that had to do with it.

To be honest, even a song as "Beat Of Your Drum" is way better than most of the stuff available on "Tonight". Good guitar work, somewhat in the style of Fripp during "Scary Monsters". The guest guitarist is no one else than Peter Frampton and I must say that he raised the quality of some songs quite dramatically.

The same attempt is done with ."Zeroes". Rather humoristic for a title as well, but fortunately David released an OK song.Heavy (too) drumming, hypnotic and (too) repetitive beat though.

David brings us back in the "Diamond Dogs" atmosphere during the intro of "Glass Spider". A recitation depicting some sort of end of the world atmosphere. The storyboard is deeply sci-fi oriented. Some baby spiders being dropped on earth by a "Glass Spider" and be left alone. Things get worse for them when they figure out that all water has gone, which probably means death for them. The whole song features a fantastic rhythm and again a great guitar work from Peter Frampton.

The first blunder of this album is "Shining Star", but it is already the seventh track, so when compared to "Tonight" we are almost safe.

IMO, the highlight of this album is "New York's In Love". It is a mix between "Scary Monster" (the track) and "Day-In, Day-Out". I can understand that David is trying to repeat some parts of this great album, but each attempt on "Never Let Me Down" is of course inferior but again, the level remains pretty decent throughout the album even if towards the end, this cloning affair is a bit embarrassing ("87 & Cry").

The closing number is also a solid rocking number, as most of the songs featured actually. "Bang Bang" is a cover from a song written by old friend Iggy (he co-wrote it with Ivan Kral from the Patti Smith group). It is one of the songs of this album which is a pleasant surprise for me. Must have been twenty years that I didn't listen to it.

IMHHO, "Never Let Me Down" is a good album. Way better than "Tonight". Three stars.

Review by tarkus1980
1 stars Many people consider this Bowie's career low, even worse than Tonight or Labyrinth, but at least this has three tracks I like. The title track, as everybody points out, is an uncanny imitation of John Lennon circa 1980, and the combination of Bowie's vocal delivery and the great harmonica parts makes for a totally delightful experience. "Time Will Crawl" might essentially fall into the category of generic 80's pop, but it's got a genuine feeling of power in the lyrics and the beat, which is more than I can say for the bulk of the album. And you know, maybe I'm an idiot, but as far as generic semi-melodic 80's pop goes, I feel one could do a lot worse than "Shining Star (Makin' My Love)." It's just so freaking pleasant that I can't get myself to dislike it.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much all of the good that can be said for the album. This album feels like the quintessential Late 80's Album From A Washed Up 70's Star, and not even some sporadically decent guitar work (from Alomar and from guest Peter Frampton) can change that. There are a couple of instances where Bowie tries to reach into his past rather than relying solely on current trends, but they're total failures. "Zeroes" tries to conjure up memories of Ziggy Stardust and "Heroes", crossing them with synthesized audience noises meant to remind one of Diamond Dogs, and it irritates me to no end. "Glass Spider" (!) features Bowie reciting a nonsensical poem (!!) before going into a pop song no different from the bulk of the album. And believe me, the bulk of the album is just tacky and gross.

It's interesting to me that, in an interview a few years later, Bowie singled out this album and not Tonight as his low point. While I don't agree, I can definitely see where he was coming from on this. Once again, don't bother.

Review by Matti
2 stars This will be only the fourth review for this album. It doesn't deserve much more. (It came out at the time when I was 16-17 years old and quite often bought vinyls, especially from bargain bins. Naturally the majority of those buyings are long gone.) It had been three years since his previous studio album, Tonight (if Labyrinth O.S.T. is not counted) and with this album he tried to rise from the low season in his career. Commercially he probably succeeded, but artistically? It depends what you compare this one to. I'd say this is better than Tonight (which is generally regarded as one of his worst albums ever). If it's better than his later albums, I can't really say, because I have never got much interest towards them. Outside I know to be better, that's all.

This is very very 80's album, starting from the cheap-looking colourful collache cover art. The hits had heavy circulation in the MTV ('Day-In-Day-Out', 'Time Will Crawl') and I sense a little joyous yuppie feel here: most of the the album is up-tempo, catchy pop with rather light contents.

Of course in the big picture of BOWIE's vast discography this one has very little weight, but as a product of its time, I wouldn't bark at it harshly. The production is relatively good, and there are some good songs. The adventurous 'Glass Spider' is easily the best one. 'Time Will Crawl' isn't bad either. Even some of those light pop tunes do have a certain charm (title track, 'Shining Star'). However there are quite many songs I wouldn't care to visit again even for nostalgic purposes. Not quite three stars, but two deservedly.

3 stars "Never Let Me Down" is just one of many Bowie albums that have been hated in retrospect. David Bowie described the album as his worst, and many fans are disappointed. But though this album may not be pioneering, it is a pleasant listening experience with some great pop tunes. The album star ... (read more)

Report this review (#906520) | Posted by The Mystical | Tuesday, February 5, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars It is so unfortunate to hear such a dissapointing album form one of my favourite artists. It has its redeeming values, but they are few and far between. The production is cold and tinny, just like the song writing. The opener, 'Day-In Day Out', at least is a not-too-bad song in the vein of Yo ... (read more)

Report this review (#175911) | Posted by burtonrulez | Wednesday, July 2, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Never Let Me Down"