PIN UPS

David Bowie Pin Ups album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy DAVID BOWIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Rosalyn (Jimmy Duncan, Bill Farley) (2:27)
2. Here Comes The Night (Bert Berns) (3:09)
3. I Wish You Would (Billy Boy Arnold) (2:40)
4. See Emily Play (Syd Barrett) (4:03)
5. Everything's Alright (Nickey Crouch, John Konrad, Simon Stavely, Stuart James, Keith Karlson) (2:26)
6. I Can't Explain (Pete Townshend) (2:07)
7. Friday On My Mind (George Young, Harry Vanda) (3:18)
8. Sorrow (Bob Feldman, Jerry Goldstein, Richard Gottehrer) (2:48)
9. Don't Bring Me Down (Johnnie Dee) (2:01)
10. Shapes Of Things (Paul SamwellSmith, Jim McCarty, Keith Relf) (2:47)
11. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey) (3:04)
12. Where Have All The Good Times Gone (Ray Davies) (2:35)

Total time 33:25

Bonus tracks on 1990 remaster:
13. Growin' Up (Previously unreleased; originally by Bruce Springsteen) (3:26)
14. Port of Amsterdam (B-side; originally by Jacques Brel) (3:19)

Search DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups lyrics

Search DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups tabs

- David Bowie / vocals, guitar, Moog, tenor & alto saxes, harmonica, arrangements & co-producer

With:
- Mick Ronson / guitar, piano, backing vocals, arrangements
- Mike Garson / piano, organ, harpsichord, electric piano
- Ken Fordham / baritone sax, flute (?)
- Trevor Bolder / bass
- Aynsley Dunbar / drums
- G.A. MacCormack / backing vocals
- Ron Wood / guitar (13)

Artwork: Justin De Villeneuve (photo of DB with Twiggy)

LP RCA Victor - RS 1003 (1973, UK)

CD RCA - PD84653 (1984, Europe)
CD EMI - CDEMC 3580 (1990, Europe) Remastered by Toby Mountain with 2 bonus tracks
CD EMI - 521 9030 (1999, Europe) 24-bit remaster by Nigel Reeve & Peter Mew
CD Parlophone ‎- 0825646283385 (2015, Europe) Remastered by Ray Staff

Thanks to micky for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

DAVID BOWIE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups Music

Vinyl$35.00
Bowie Pin UpsBowie Pin Ups
RCA Victor
Vinyl$109.99
Pin Ups { Special Limited Edition Picture Disc } [ VINYL LP Record Album ]Pin Ups { Special Limited Edition Picture Disc } [ VINYL LP Record Album ]
Limited Edition
RCA Records Ltd., London
Vinyl$79.97

Pin Ups David Bowie French vinyl LP album record RS1003 RCA VICTOR 1973 USD $37.59 Buy It Now 5h 33m
David Bowie Pin Ups German vinyl LP album record NL84653 RCA 1983 USD $20.71 Buy It Now 5h 48m
David Bowie Pin Ups UK vinyl LP album record RS1003 RCA VICTOR 1973 USD $31.10 Buy It Now 5h 51m
David Bowie Pin Ups CD album (CDLP) UK 5219030 EMI 1999 USD $16.22 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Rare David Bowie Pin Ups EMI GF EMC3580 Pic Label 14 Track LP London UK USD $122.42 Buy It Now 7h 5m
DAVID BOWIE "PIN UPS" CD NEW+ USD $15.59 Buy It Now 8h 24m
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP VINYL 12 Track A2t/bt Matrix Orange Label Design With I USD $40.89 Buy It Now 8h 37m
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS 2015 REMASTER CD NEW USD $11.85 Buy It Now 8h 38m
David Bowie 8 Track Lot. Live/pinups/ziggy Stardust And More!! USD $45.00 Buy It Now 10h 3m
David Bowie - Pinups Vinyl LP Spain Great Condition 1983 USD $32.00 Buy It Now 10h 14m
David Bowie - Pin Ups [Remastered] (CD 1999) USD $2.58 [1 bids]
David Bowie Pin Ups Uk Vinyl LP RS1003 USD $16.87 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE: Pin Ups LP (orange label, inner sleeve, slight cover wear) USD $25.00 Buy It Now 16h 53m
David Bowie 73 & TWIGGY PIN UP ALBUM 10x8 Photo USD $3.88 Buy It Now 23h 17m
DAVID BOWIE Pinups '73 RCA MAINMAN w/ PHOTO & LYRIC Inner Sleeve ORANGE Lbel EX USD $19.99 Buy It Now 23h 47m
David Bowie Pin Ups SEALED 180g LP Parlophone Records 2015 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS 1999 UK CD * NEW * USD $7.78 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie,Pin Ups,French pressing, including insert,LP USD $16.22 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE DAVID BOWIE FIRST PINUPS CD RELEASE IN 1990 WITH UNRELEASED TRACK ETC. USD $19.48 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie - Pin Ups LP - RCA Victor VG+ USD $7.01 [2 bids]
David Bowie - Pin Ups LP UK 1973 RCA RS 1003 1st Press USD $16.22 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE BOWIE PIN UP 1970 USD $12.99 [0 bids]
David Bowie Pinups 1984 USD $64.93 [0 bids]
David Bowie "Pinups" Vinyl Record- Original US RCA LP W/inner Pic Sleeve; EX/VG USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $18.99 Buy It Now
DAVID BOWIE Pinups 1973 UK 1st PRESSING 2T/2UT WITH INSERT EX!!! USD $45.45 [0 bids]
David Bowie Bowie ?Pinups 1st Press 1973 Vinyl NM Record LP Cover VG+ USD $31.87 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie Pinups LP sealed 180 gm vinyl RE reissue 2016 USD $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
LP DAVID BOWIE - pinups USD $23.38 Buy It Now 1 day
PIN-UPS VINYL LP[RS1003]1973 DAVID BOWIE [Vinyl] DAVID BOWIE USD $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
David Bowie 1973 PINUPS VINYL APL1-0291 Record (VG) Motivated Seller USD $12.99 [0 bids]
TWIGGY 1960s HAND SIGNED PHOTO, MODEL, FASHION ICON UK DAVID BOWIE PINUPS COVER USD $39.01 [0 bids]
Ex++, David Bowie, "Pinups", 33RPM, 12"LP, 2015 Parlophone Records USD $25.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE LTD EDITION "PIN UPS" LIFE MASK V&A NICHOLAS BOXALL USD $649.25 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS [REMASTER] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $3.98 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie Pinups 8 Track Cartridge USD $25.96 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS [REMASTERED] USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $8.69 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE+Pinups+ORIGINAL VINYL LP SLV+TOP QUALITY FRAMED+EXPRESS GLOBAL SHIP USD $116.80 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS - 1973 LP - 1981 GERMAN PRESS NL 84653 BLACK LABELS EX/EX USD $25.97 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups RCA 1973 LP APL1-0291 Very Good USD $18.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS LP RECORD VG+ VINYL W/ INSERT CANADIAN PRESS 1973 RS 1003 USD $12.79 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE: Pinups UK 180g VINYL LP Super Clean NM w/ Insert USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
David Bowie - Pin Ups LP New Sealed 825646289424 180 Gram EU Vinyl Record USD $35.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups 8 TRACK TAPE TESTED USD $5.00 [0 bids]
David Bowie ? Pin-Ups ? RCA - PD84653 - Made In Germany CD RARE = USD $1.31 [3 bids]
David Bowie Pinups 12'' LP EX 1983 Pressing USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PIN UPS [REMASTER] NEW CD USD $7.34 Buy It Now 2 days
DAVID BOWIE - PINUPS [REMASTERED] NEW CD USD $10.86 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW *RARE* VINTAGE 8 TRACK ~ DAVID BOWIE - BOWIE PIN UPS USD $19.95 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups New Wave Rock w/innerRECORD LP VG++ USD $25.50 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - Pinups - Rca Victor - 1973 #745661 USD $25.96 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS excellent+ 1973 UK CASSETTE ALBUM USD $5.19 [0 bids]
Pin Ups David Bowie Audio CD USD $20.07 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pinups 180g vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $41.39 Buy It Now 3 days
8 Track cartridge tape tested David Bowie - Pin Ups - P8S11669 USD $16.23 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie "Pin Ups" Remastered CD Album: Incl. "Sorrow" (New & Sealed) USD $10.38 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie Pinups UK LP advert 1973 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS BRAND NEW SEALED CD REMASTERED 2015 USD $8.76 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie-Pin Ups (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $7.37 Buy It Now 3 days
PROMO ONLY / DAVID BOWIE PINUPS USD $1,499.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE Pinups Vinyl LP 1973 RCA UK Press VG+ Ziggy Stardust Aladdin Sane USD $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie 1973 Pinups UK record advert MM-DFSW USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie 'Pinups' LP USD $4.95 [1 bids]
David Bowie Pin Ups RS 1003 MM3 LP advert 1973 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups 1973 LP RCA APL1-0291 EX+ USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie PINUPS Remastered PARLOPHONE Pin Ups NEW SEALED CD USD $6.99 [0 bids]
PinUps (180 Gram Vinyl) [Vinyl] David Bowie Rhino/Parlophone 825646289424 USD $19.96 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie PIN UPS 1973 advert - original USD $9.08 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE - Pin Ups, ORIGINAL 1973 UK LP / insert..... DECENT COPY USD $9.08 [1 bids]
DAVID BOWIE L.P. 1973. 'PINUPS.' RCA INTERNATIONAL - INTS 5236. EX++ USD $8.44 [0 bids]
David Bowie Pin Ups #4260 Clear Wax RYKO LP Ltd. Edition OBI 2 Bonus Trax (New) USD $130.00 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - Pin-Ups, Japan for Germany, RCA, PD84653, Very Rare, Non-Target CD USD $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG Sleeve 1973 RCA APL1 0291 USD $27.99 Buy It Now 3 days
David Bowie - PinUps US Rykodisc cassette 1990 rare tested tape 2 bonus tracks USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Pin Ups [Remaster] by David Bowie (CD, Sep-1999, Virgin) USD $3.99 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE_Pinups_used VINYL LP_ships from AUS!_zz19_shD3f USD $23.88 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie-Pin Ups CD NEW USD $11.50 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pinups 180-gram VINYL LP New/Sealed Import Out of Print Mick Ronson USD $49.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE CASSETTE TAPE BOWIE PINUP RARE FREE POSTAGE WITHIN AUSTRALIA USD $5.17 Buy It Now 4 days
david bowie pin ups USD $11.30 [0 bids]
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS 2015 REMASTER SEALED CD NEW 2015 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pin Ups (2016) 180g Vinyl LP NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST USD $18.63 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups Vinyl LP + Insert 1st French Press RCA Orange Label USD $25.96 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups Vinyl LP + Insert 1st Canada Press RCA Orange Label USD $25.96 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE PIN UPS ORIGINAL CASSETTE w/Two Bonus Tracks USD $35.99 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups 1973 French Vinyl LP orange RCA EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $32.45 Buy It Now 4 days
RARE David Bowie Pinups 1990 USA Cassette Ryko RACS0136 Classic Glam Rock USD $25.96 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups (Vinyl) USD $26.48 Buy It Now 4 days
Rare David Bowie Pinups Pin-Ups Mini Lp Cd TOCP-70146 Japan Version! **New** USD $35.00 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups (Vinyl) USD $31.15 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie,Pinups,New And Sealed CD. USD $7.78 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups [New CD] Rmst USD $10.87 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie - Pinups - Vintage Vinyl Album Custom Framed Collage USD $499.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Pinups - David Bowie (2015, CD New) USD $10.97 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS RE RCA Victor GREECE LP 1980 Twiggy USD $38.94 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE PINUPS RE RCA International UK LP 1981 Twiggy USD $38.94 Buy It Now 4 days
Pin Ups CD by David Bowie w/ Bonus Tracks USD $7.00 [0 bids]
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP VINYL French Rca 1973 12 Track Orange Label Design With USD $23.81 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP VINYL European Parlophone 2016 12 Track 180 Gram 2015 USD $31.80 Buy It Now 4 days
David Bowie pinups pin ups rca 1973 apl10291 w/pic inner sleeve glam rock oop LP USD $49.00 Buy It Now 4 days
DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups LP VINYL UK Rca 1973 12 Track Green Label Reissue With USD $26.54 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy DAVID BOWIE music online Buy DAVID BOWIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(6%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(14%)

DAVID BOWIE Pin Ups reviews

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Even if this album is made of covers, it is the fourth one that David released in twenty-two months!

In the meantime, David/Ziggy put an end (?) to his stage life on July 3rd, London. Hammersmith Odeon. Bowie said in front of a petrified audience: "From all the shows from this tour, this one will be the most remembered because it is not only the last one of this tour. It is the last one.for ever". And there we went for "Rock'n'Roll Suicide".

Even if he killed Ziggy, Bolder and Ronson will still survive for a while and do play on this recording (but it will be their last album with Bowie). The press unanimously shot it down but the fans pushed it again at the first spot of the UK charts.

Still, this is not a good album IMO. My fave songs were (and still are) "Here Comes The Night" (from "Them"), "Friday On My Mind" ("The Easybeats") and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" ("The Who"). The Floyd cover ("See Emily Play") is average, less childish than the original but not really convincing. David was rather attracted by Syd with whom he had lots of things in common in the late sixties.

On a remastered CD edition, one can find a cover from Maître Jacques. This version of "Amsterdam" is not bad but during the finale, David is quite noisy in his vocals. The passion of Maître Jacques is not very well represented. But so far, I've never heard someone (except "Ange", maybe) capable of convincing me with one of his covers.

Bowie's love for Brel is not new: as soon as in 1967, he was covering him already. At the end of the day, you might well add this one in the good category. It backed up "Let's Spend The Night Together". At least in Belgium.

The other songs are quite dispensable. I have never really liked this album. I was more on the side of the critics than of the fans. Maybe premonitory of my "no more heroes" philosophy which will see the light in 78. And will never leave me.

Two stars. One of his weakest album.

Review by Chris S
3 stars Notably there are many artists nowadays doing cover song albums of other artists. Yawningly there are so many now one can almost cringe. Even Robert Plant is doing it. BUT David Bowie decided to do his version in 1973 with Pin Ups. Speaks volumes! And because of this while he was still full of ideas and creative genius it carries a hell of a lot more weight too.

Pin Ups gets plenty of airplay in this household with some excellent covers and is heads and shoulders above many failed embarrassing attempts from other musicians in recent years. Not necessarily progressive either. Highlights would have to be See Emily Play, Sorrow, and Shapes of things. Great addition to your collection. Good covers.Good all round.

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Long before cover albums became a fad (along with the equally almost obligatory MTV umplugged CD), David Bowie released this very interesting collection of cover songs that gives a clue about his musical tastes as an english teenager in the 60´s swinging London. It was also his last work with his famed backing band, The Spiders From Mars. Drummer Mick Woodmansey was fired before these sessions but guitarrist extraordinaire Mick Ronson and bassist Trevor Bolder (future Wishbone Ash and a member of Uriah Heep to this day) remained, along with celebrated pianist Mike Garson and studio ace Aynsley Dunbar replacing Woodmansey. Future Rolling Stone Ron Wood guests on one of the bonus tracks.

David Bowie gives his interpretations of songs by The Yardbirds, Them, Pretty Things, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Easybeats and The Kinks . All arrangements are respetful and quite faithful to their original form. Of course some are better than the others, but it is quite interesting to see how an original and skillful songwriter like Bowie sings his favorite tunes of the past. Sorrow, See Emily Play and Where Have All The Times Gone are some of the CD´s highlights. Bowie also shows he knew how to play some fine harmonica (plus sax and moog on some tracks) when needed to. My CD copy came with two bonus tracks: the unreleased Growin up and the Sorrow´s single b side Port Of Amsterdam. Nice additions.

Conclusion: a fun record to listen to. Not essential in any way, not to be taken too seriously either, but quite entertaining. It was the first Bowie record I ever heard (thanks to my sister´s collection) and I still like it. 3 stars.

Review by Matthew T
5 stars With Twiggy on the cover and heaps of hype Pin Ups was released back in 1973 and lasted in the charts for 4 to 5 months. Mr Bowie had decided to do an album of covers and not just any covers but what today are considered Rock,Pop and Psyche classics. With only the style that is Bowie he rips through these numbers and he is trying and giving the songs his stamp. Much maligned by the critics but for me they missed the point,so what if there is not an original on this album, the versions that David Bowie has created here are driving and rocking and this album will always be considered to be my favourite of his. I found many of his own albums great but there was always a bit of patch in them but not so with this. There is not one bad track.

Off we go with the the first track Rosalyn originally performed by The Pretty Things and he approaches it with fervour and one hard rocking song gets this album going. The single which sold by the bucket load taken of the album was Sorrow and was a hit for The Merseys who covered the song as well. He does covers of the Sid Barret ( Pink Floyd) classic See Emily Play, Easy Beats..Friday on my mind,The Who ..I Can't Explain another Pretty Things and Who cover as well as songs by Them,Yardbirds, Kinks etc, as you notice all top notch material from that era in British music.

When I bought this album about half of the songs listed on this album I had never heard in their original version myself and today I still love this album. One other note this was his last recording that he did with with The Spiders and that period was over. Classic time in the 70s and a classic album of covers which other great musicians attempt but do not succeed like this. I was given this album by a girl when I was 14 ( first thing I think I ever got off one) and I know many may wince but to me this a masterpiece and a quick history of that era ,A La David Bowie.

Review by fuxi
4 stars I can't believe this album has received such low ratings! For me, this is one of the most enjoyable albums in the Bowie canon. The recording is crisp and immaculate, the band are on FIRE, and Mike Garson's crazy piano is all over the place: a delight!

Even though I respect and enjoy nearly all of Bowie's 1970s albums, few of them give me as much pleasure as PIN UPS. Not even ZIGGY STARDUST. You may laugh if you like, but PIN UPS has far more pizzazz than comparable albums by John Lennon or Bryan Ferry that were released around the same time.

Hell, I've never even heard the 1960s originals of "Rosalyn", "Everything's Alright" or "Friday on my Mind". But I can hardly imagine they're as much fun as Bowie's. Where I do know the originals (as with "Here Comes the Night", "Shapes of Things", "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone"), I can tell that Bowie has a great time camping up the original vocals by the likes of Van Morrison or Ray Davies. Aynsley Dunbar actually surpasses Keith Moon's drumming on "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere", which also benefits from early 1970s' superior recording technique. Dunbar shines once more (and frenetically so!) on in "Friday on my Mind", and Mick Ronson has a whale of a time emulating Jeff Beck's epic solo on "Shapes of Things".

The only tracks that don't work too well are "I Can't Explain", which is unforgivably slowed down, and a rather turgid ballad called "Sorrow". The latter may, however, be of historical importance since it's the earliest track I'm aware of where you will hear Bowie croon, using his voice's lower register. Also, Syd Barrett freaks won't be too happy with Bowie's cover of "See Emily Play", since it lacks the subtlety of the Pink Floyd original. But it is bearable.

If you don't mind buying a second-hand copy, go for the (remastered) Rykodisc reissue from 1990, which boasts two fascinating bonus tracks: Jacques Brel's melodramatic "In the Port of Amsterdam" (Bowie solo, using acoustic guitar) and Bruce Springsteen's very own "Growing Up" (Bowie with band). It turns out Bowie was a Springsteen fan from day one. (Something virtually no one would have believed in the late Seventies, when Bowie and Springsteen seemed to have two mutually exclusive fan clubs.)

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars I did not expect to dislike this album this much. I mean, I knew that pretty much everybody disliked this album, considering this one of Bowie's career low points, but I didn't see how that could be possible; just how harmful could an album of covers of songs from the previous decade be? Especially when it was recorded after two albums that, at the worst, were in the top quarter of Bowie's career? Especially when it's only about half an hour long?

Well, um, this album is really bad, especially given how promising the track listing makes it look. I'm only familiar with a few of these tracks in their original versions, but they're all tracks I've always liked, and I figured that, at worst, Bowie would give them slightly eccentric tweaks that would produce alternate versions I could come back to once in a while. What I didn't expect was for him to suck so much of the life and enjoyment out of these songs, and for every single change to be one for the worse. The only track that I end up enjoying in its entirety, "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere," is the one where Bowie takes a relatively conservative approach and doesn't tweak much. People tend to offer praise towards "See Emily Play," but I'm at a loss to understand why. I do admit that the addition of an extended pseudo-psychedelic section at the end is kinda neat, but the main portion just doesn't sound good to me at all. "Where Have All the Good Times Gone?" is decent enough, but far less exuberant than the original; "I Can't Explain" is slowed down to a crawl and made sleazier, I guess, but the saxophone and David's singing don't help things much; and "Shapes of Things" is about a dozen times worse than either the Yardbirds original or the great Jeff Beck version on Truth.

So anyway, like I said, I don't know the original versions of the other tracks on here, but I'm willing to bet that the originals all sounded way better than these covers. Ronson does his best to save the album from Bowie's, um, "inspirations" and his awful singing, which is what saves the album from an even lower grade, but even he can only do so much. I think what ultimately irritates me the most about the album is that it sounds like a two-week tossoff project by a drug-addled superstar who's come to believe his own press, which I'm guessing isn't too far from the truth. Bowie could have, nay, should have made something better out of this project, but as is, it's an album that most people can do without.

Review by Warthur
5 stars After Aladdin Sane, Bowie decided that he wanted to take a bit more time about crafting its followup, Diamond Dogs - but his record company were constantly pestering him for more material, even going so far as to reissue Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold the World with anachronistic cover art depicting Bowie during his Ziggy Stardust phase. To placate them whilst he worked on the abortive 1984 musical which would become Diamond Dogs, he quickly cut this album of covers, giving a dirty glam rock veneer to Bowie's favourite songs from the Swinging London scene of the 1960s.

Aside from Sorrow, which is genuinely affecting, most of the songs here suffer on most issues from a mastering job which fails to tease out the wild garage rock stylings that Bowie was trying to bring to the material here - a sound reminiscent of Bowie not so much directly covering the material as Bowie covering the Stooges covering the Britpop originals. Thankfully, the Five Years boxed set and its accompanying reissues of the individual albums solves this issue magnificently, with the remasters finally teasing out the true quality of the material. (Possibly it helps that the set includes the Santa Monica '72 live release, which showcases Bowie and Spiders in a garage rock mood that could have helped the remastering crew find the appropriate spin to put on the material.) Star rating is for that issue of the album; earlier CD issues lose several stars for burying the release's charms.

2 stars This is David Bowie's first and only cover album,shortly after he killed his Ziggy Stardust character. But,he still works with The Spiders minus Mick Woodmansey. Pin Ups open with ''Rosalyn'' this is a very Proto-Punk track.Bowie gives this song a new edge. ''Here comes The Night'' is a gre ... (read more)

Report this review (#178197) | Posted by ziggystardust360 | Friday, July 25, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DAVID BOWIE "Pin Ups"