IF 2

If

If If 2 album cover

Buy IF Music
Studio Album, released in 1970

1. Your City Is Falling (5:04)
2. Sunday Sad (8:18)
3. Tarmac T. Pirate And The Lonesome Nymphomaniac (5:12)
4. I Couldn't Write And Tell You (8:23)
5. Shadows and Echoes (4:24)
6. Song For Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday (5:11)

Search IF If 2 lyrics

Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_2"

LP ISLAND ILPS9137 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CASW676 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If 2 Music

If 2If 2
Import · Limited Edition
Repertoire 2006
If by If (1997-02-25)If by If (1997-02-25)
Edsel
IF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' by IfIF 2 + If 'Live in Liverpool' by If
Repertoire Records
2 by If2 by If
Vivid
If 2 by IfIf 2 by If
Sunrise

WET WET WET IF I NEVER SEE YOU AGAIN CD2 CD SINGLE + POSTCARDS 4K USD $3.48 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Ninja Tune If Ya Can't Stand Da Beatz Git Outta Da Kitchen Funki Porcini (2xCD) USD $7.05 Buy It Now 3h 19m
J./MORONEY,D. HOLLOWAY - DIE ROSENKRANZSONATEN H.I.F. BIBER 2 CD 4 TRACKS NEW+ USD $16.43 Buy It Now 3h 32m
AC/DC If You Want Blood You've Got It/Ballbreaker (CD Set of 2) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
If These Walls Could Talk 2 HBO Sndtrk CD 2002 NEW Lauper, Etheridge, Moby, etc. USD $1.50 Buy It Now 4h 11m
MARC DORSEY If you Really Wanna Know w/RARE INSTRUMENTAL 2TRX PROMO DJ CD Single USD $23.74 Buy It Now 4h 11m
vinyl lp record 2 michael mcdonald lps no looking back &if that what it takes USD $5.16 [1 bids]
HUNDRED REASONS - IF I COULD - VIDEO ENHANCED CD SINGLE 2 - MINT USD $2.57 Buy It Now 4h 19m
DANDY WARHOLS - NOT IF YOU WERE THE LAST JUNKIE ON EARTH - 1998 CD Single (CD2) USD $3.87 [0 bids]
DANE COOK - Harmful If Swallowed [+DVD](2003) USA 2-CD Digipak Set EXC-NM USD $6.44 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Stevie B. Funky Melodie (x2)If You Still Love Me CD USD $4.94 Buy It Now 5h 31m
IF 2 SELF TITLED 1970 UK 1ST STEREO PRESS LP ISLAND PINK RIM LABELS EX PLAY USD $6.46 [0 bids]
UB40 - If It Happens Again - 1984 UK 2-track 12" single USD $21.98 Buy It Now 6h 16m
If I Tell U 2xLP USD $33.14 Buy It Now 6h 18m
If I Should Go Before You [2 LP] USD $30.20 Buy It Now 6h 18m
2 Sydney Youngblood 7" vinyl - If Only I Could + Sit and Wait USD $2.57 [0 bids]
DAVID CROSBY-IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME-1995 ANALOGUE CD-CSN-NEW USD $6.46 Buy It Now 7h 7m
2Pac ?- Holler If Ya Hear Me (12") 1993 Interscope Records USD $12.92 [1 bids]
LFO (Lyte funkie ones) If I can't have you 2 mix 1998 CD single cardboard sleeve USD $2.57 [0 bids]
NEW The Songs of Pete Seeger, Vol. 2: If I Had a Song... (Audio CD) USD $17.16 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Mark Markham Athens Free Enterprise 2 If This Is Love Then I Want My Money Back USD $9.99 [0 bids]
AC/DC IF YOU WANT BLOOD YOU'VE GOT IT ORIGINAL USA ATLANTIC CD SD 19212-2 USD $20.00 Buy It Now 9h 9m
HEASH IF WE/BAND 1 ENGLISH CLASS BAND 2 LUNCH 45 DRC 1875 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
R. Kelly - If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time - CD single - 2 tracks USD $1.50 [0 bids]
Mint Condition - If You Love Me - CD single - 2 tracks USD $1.50 [0 bids]
SUZI QUATRO 4 Letter Words/Aggro-Phobia If U Knew/Rock Hard 3 CD 6 Titles 2 on 1 USD $44.08 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Ruben Studdard - What If - CD single - 2 tracks USD $1.50 [0 bids]
AUDIO CD ..CHISTIAN.THE FLAME/IF PEOPLE PRAYED... LOT OF 2 CDS 1.50 USD $1.50 [0 bids]
USD $2.50 Buy It Now
If I'm Honest by Blake Shelton (CD, May-2016, 2 Discs, Warner Bros.) USD $5.00 [0 bids]
USD $7.00 Buy It Now
If You Can't Take The Hits... Stay Off The Grass! CD The Early Years Vol 2 Fah-Q USD $0.99 [0 bids]
2 LP'S "MILES" & "JUST PLAY ONE TUNE MORE" + SONG BOOK IF I WERE A WORD, THEN I' USD $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 18m
Hawthorne Heights If Only You Were 2 CD USD $3.87 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Hanson If Only Pt 2 CD USD $6.49 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Peggy Lee THE MAN I LOVE / IF YOU GO 2 on 1 EMI CD 1997 UK USD $19.00 [0 bids]
14h
IF THESE TREES COULD TALK "The Bones Of A Dying World" 2o16 (CD) METAL PROG USD $10.45 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Poison Flesh & Blood 1990 US Cassette - discounted shipping if you buy 2 or more USD $0.69 [1 bids]
45 HANK THOMPSON (LOT OF 2) SMOKY THE BAR / IF I LOSE YOU TOMORROW" DOT USD $5.99 Buy It Now 14h 50m
45 STING (LOT OF 2) "IF YOU LOVE SOMEBODY SET THE FREE" USD $4.49 Buy It Now 14h 51m
Ninja Tune & If Music Present: If by Various Artists, 2 X LP, Vinyl USD $26.99 Buy It Now 14h 57m
LOVEHORN: If / Part 2 45 Soul USD $45.00 Buy It Now 15h
VAN MORRISON BROWN EYED GIRL/FREAKY IF YOU GOT THIS FAR 2 CD BOX SET USD $14.95 Buy It Now 15h 2m
U2 - Europe CD single / If God Will Send His Angels + 3 Tracks / Island 572 1892 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 16h 19m
Broken Social Scene Presents - Kevin Drew Spirit If...JAPAN CD+2Bonus NEW #29 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 17h
Snowing "I Could Do Whatever I Wanted If I Wanted" LP NM /300 Spraynard Dads 2 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 17h 22m
brook benton 2 record lot deal if you believe &it's just a matter of time USD $10.00 Buy It Now 17h 42m
Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C. (NEW 2 VINYL LP) USD $33.62 Buy It Now 17h 52m
Cher You Wouldn't Know Love / If I Could Turn Back Time (2 x 12" 45rpms) Ex / Ex USD $10.34 Buy It Now 17h 55m
Lot of 2 45 RPM Records Suzi Quatro If you Can't Give Me Love & Stumblin' In USD $14.99 [0 bids]
THE BANGLES UK 2-45 set, IF SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTS,'86 release USD $10.80 Buy It Now 18h 16m
HK CD Soundtrack OST ???? If Sky Love Andy Lau Movie ???? III NEW 2580-2 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 18h 21m
NINJA TUNE & IF MUSIC PRESENT: If Music 2.0 UK triple LP in gatefold 2014 USD $31.04 Buy It Now 19h 32m
ABBA Agnetha Faltskog IF I THOUGHT YOU... ALMIGHTY MIXES Euro 3-trk CD WEA375CD2 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 20h 50m
FREE US SHIP. on ANY 2 CDs! NEW CD IV Thieves: If We Can't Escape My Pretty USD $2.28 Buy It Now 20h 56m
Jack Johnson - If I Had Eyes - Scarce 2007 UK 2 track vinyl 7" USD $6.46 Buy It Now 21h 28m
AC/DC Highway To Hell / If You Want Blood (You've Got It) GER 7in 1979 Orig! //2 USD $45.99 Buy It Now 21h 31m
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink / If I Could Do.. Spain 2LP 1972 Prog //1 USD $45.99 Buy It Now 21h 31m
IF - IF 4 GER LP 1972 Rare Original Jazz Prog On Tour In Germany Cover //2 USD $57.49 Buy It Now 21h 31m
If - If GER LP 1970 Pink Island Jazzrock Prog //2 USD $45.99 Buy It Now 21h 31m
The Dictators - Fuck 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke FRA LP 1992 + Insert Punk //2 USD $28.74 Buy It Now 21h 33m
Pure Prairie League If the Shoe Fits 1979 Analog Wally EXC 2nd ULTRASONIC CLEAN USD $35.00 Buy It Now 21h 38m
CD SINGLE - U2 - I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAZY TONIGHT USD $2.59 [0 bids]
Dawson Smith"I Don't Know If I Can Make It pt 1&2"vtg Funk Soul 45 Scepter 12400 USD $4.00 [0 bids]
USD $5.25 Buy It Now
Modern Talking You Can Win If You Want (Spec Remix) FRA Maxi 1985 Diff Cover //2 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 21h 59m
Five Star: 2 x 7" Singles: Find The Time + If I Say Yes: [1986] USD $5.16 Buy It Now 22h 11m
Aqua Record Co. A-EP-2 The Aqua Tones and the Aqua String Band If You Knew Susie USD $9.88 Buy It Now 22h 20m
U2 CD Albums, Last Night on Earth, If God Will Send his Angels USD $10.00 Buy It Now 22h 31m
BILLY OCEAN - L.I.F.E. - 2 X GREATEST HITS CD SET - SUDDENLY / CARIBBEAN QUEEN + USD $2.96 [0 bids]
City and Colour - If I Should Go Before You 2x12 Vinyl (Clear w/ Black Smoke) LP USD $43.87 Buy It Now 23h 21m
Great Train Robbery-Give a Little Lovin'..Baby/if You Quit Me- 45 Give G-2 Promo USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie-If I Were Brittania I'd Waive the Rules UK hard rock psych cd 2 bonus USD $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
O'ROURKE,JIM/AMBARCHI - I WONDER IF YOU NOTICED ''I'M SORRY''... 2 VINYL LP NEW+ USD $36.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Richard Groove Holmes JAZZ ORGAN 45 1-2-3 / If I Had a USD $11.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Claudja Barry (2) 12"s UK IF I DO IT TO YOU / UP ALL NIGHT & Secret Affair 4 Mix USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Seekers 2 LPS....LIVE & The Seekers ( Pickwick ) IF I HAD A HAMMER USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Brenda K. Starr (2) 12" Desayuno De Amor 3 Mixes If You Could Read My Mind 5 Mix USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Lisa Lisa Cult Jam (2) 12"s I WONDER IF I TAKE YOU HOME & CAN YOU FEEL THE BEAT USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Wildhearts / Stop Us If You've Heard This One Before Vol 1 JAPAN T-Shirt C2 USD $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
What If / ST JAPAN Tommy Funderburk King of Hearts Airplay 1ST PRESS AOR OOP C2 USD $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
AC/DC ALBUM X 2 - IF YOU WANT BLOOD / FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK ~ USD $15.51 Buy It Now 1 day
2 Olivia-Newton John If You Love Me Making A Good LP ERROR Vinyl Both In Shrink USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Harmful If Swallowed by Dane Cook 2 CDs 2003 Comedy Central Records (G) #E23 USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
CRUNCHY FROG RECORDINGS 1994-2014 Vinyl Sampler 2LP If We Took out The Bones It USD $19.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Amen Corner If Paradise Was Twice As Nice Immediate Anthology 2 CD Bee Gees USD $29.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Babyface - What If - Lover and Friend - from Face 2 Face - Vinyl Record - USD $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Running From Dharma if we don't speak Bonus track+2 JAPAN CD OBI+LYRIC BOOK MINT USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Fields If You Fail We All Fail Part 2 7" Vinyl Record Single USD $0.63 [0 bids]
2-45s JILL HOLLIER - IF YOU'RE GONNA BE DUMB /IF IT WASN'T FOR HEARTACHE NMint USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
2-BUCK OWENS ALBUMS IF YOU AIN'T LOVIN'-CHRISTMAS SHOPPING USD $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
R. KELLY - I Can't Sleep Baby (If I) CD Promo 1996 - 2 Track US Single USD $4.99 [0 bids]
David Whitfield No. 2 1958 EP Adoration Waltz / If I Lost You/ I'll Find 7" USD $14.19 Buy It Now 1 day
MELANIE /MEL C-2 CD SINGLES/IF THAT WERE ME/I TURN TO YOU/SPICE GIRLS/POP USD $2.57 [0 bids]
LOT of 2 DAVE CLARK FIVE--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY-CATCH US IF U CAN USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PEOPLE'S CHOICE - IF YOU GONNA DO IT (PARTS 1&2) 1977 ITALIAN ISSUE PHILADELPHIA USD $1.94 [0 bids]
UB40 If It Happens Again b/w Nkomo A Go Go (2 TRACK 12"VINYL ) USD $5.11 Buy It Now 1 day
STATE OF MIND:If He Comes Back 2:08-Move2:09-U.S. 1966 Chavis Records Inc. 1038 USD $348.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Willie Hutch (45 w/ps) If You Ain't Got No Money / part 2 ~ M- French Motown USD $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Drake - If You're Reading This Its Too Late [2LP] Vinyl 12" Record 2015 X/1000 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
STATUS QUO DOG OF TWO HEADS/IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT VINYL ALBUMS X 2 USD $32.33 Buy It Now 1 day
NOS Sealed 8 Track Tape IF2(Squared) Capitol 8XW-676 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
June - If You Speak Any Faster 2005 CD+Bonus DVD Sealed #07-2 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If 2 ratings distribution

IF If 2 reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If's second album perfectly complements the first, the songwriting generally isn't as strong but includes one of their best songs "Sunday Sad".

The first track "Your City is Falling" is very up-tempo fast jazz playing and includes a great sax solo, and also good keyboards from John Mealing and drums from Dennis Elliot. The slower eight-minute "Sunday Sad" has a spanish guitar style and flute intro, with a haunting vocal from JW Hodkinson. The song builds into a Chicago style jam and features some good keyboard and heavy guitar solos, very reminiscent of early King Crimson dare I say. Not such a sad song at all. The next track the up-tempo "Tarmac T Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" features some great interplay between the band members. Another oustanding eight-minute track, the rock orientated "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" ebbs and flows around solid keyboards and drums . The AOR sounding "Shadows and Echoes" changes pace and builds into a much more jazz orientated sound, and includes a very fast jazzy guitar solo. The last track, the odd sounding "A Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday", fast jazz alternating with slow bluesy sax solos.

A good follow-up to If 1, released the same year and includes the same high standard of playing.

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!

Coming in an impressive gatefold psych cover (this album like most of their earlier albums received different artworks and sometimes names, rendering their discography difficult to find your way through), If's second album is certainly their crowning achievement of sorts, but I personally prefer their debut. With an unchanged line-up, but a few tours (including US tour with Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart), they even recorded this album in NY, with Morrissey and Quincy again taking the lion's share of the songwriting to them.

Opening up on the soulful Your City Is Falling, the track's best moments are the excellents drum breaks around the end of the track. The following Sunday Sad starts on a pastoral electric Spanish-sounding guitar mixed with a quiet flute, soon joined by Hodgkinson's soulful vocals, but Smith's psych guitar solo takes the show, excellently underlined by the pulsing and flamencoing bass of Richardson. Lonesome Nymphomaniac (a rare Mealing composition) is not my fave on this album, partly because it's a bit messy in the recording, most notably the very shallow space allotted for most of the instruments in the stereo space.

The flipside starts on the lengthy Motown-like track, but soon digresses into a series of excellent solos, including an epic guitar solo. Fellow British jazzer writes the next Shadows And Echoes, where after a full-fledged jazz tour of the group, the guitar gets very jazzy this time around. The closing Song For Elsa is much more of a Colosseum track than most of the rest of the album, with the two saxes again pulling a Heckstallian trick every now and then.

The Repertoire mini-Lp reissue is a little beauty but didn't add any bonus material (no single taken from this album, unlike for the debut and their third), thus leaving a rather short disc. Nevertheless this album is yet another classic brass rock album that deserves 100 times more its inclusion in the PA, rather than those bloody sweaty tearful excuses for albums.

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Tarmac T. Pirate's not as bad as he sounds

In an age when band seem to take several years between albums, it may seem strange that If should have released this their second album in the same year as their first. Back in 1970 though, such an event was far from unusual, many bands working on a six month cycle of touring and recording. We should of course remember that back then around 40 minutes was the norm for an album, but even so, the workload on a band was intense.

"If 2" is very much a continuation of the eponymous début, the unchanged line up moving at times into more commercial territories while retaining the jazz rock tenets on which their sound was based.

"Your city is falling" is the first of the six tracks here, the album opening with a delightful up tempo number which sees pretty much all aspects of the band's make up taking centre stage. Dick Morrissey's "Sunday sad" is an unusual song for the band, setting out as a slower, more reflective piece. J.W. Hodkinson offers a fine vocal performance on this 8 minute classic, which also features some dynamic guitar work by Terry Smith. As the track develops, the sax section pick things up nicely transforming the track completely. The oddly named "Tarmac T. Pirate and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" is very much in the Blood Sweat and Tears vein, the actual song being far better than its title.

The second side (of the LP) is in some ways a mirror image of the first. The opening Dave Quincy song "I Couldn't Write and Tell You" though is not as frantic as its peer on side one. The vocals here are very Roger Daltrey (Who) like, Quincy delivering a surprisingly rock orientated song where his sax talents are kept largely in the background. "Shadows and Echoes" was co-written by Lionel Grigson with his then partner Margaret Busby. The late Grigson was well known during the early jazz/fusion scene, and was in fact a a member of If prior to the recording of their first album. The songs focuses on the band's softer, lighter side, featuring flute and a fine vocal.

The closing Hodgkinson composed "Song for Elsa, Three Days Before Her 25th Birthday" once again has similarities with the work of Blood Sweat and Tears around the same time, especially in the David Clayton-Thomas like vocals.

In all, an album which for my money matches up well beside the band's fine début. There is a good variety of styles and sound here, the songs are strong, and the performances first rate.

Review by apps79
3 stars If were trully creative during their brief stint in the 70's and shortly after the release of their debut, who had entered the charts worldwide and even won a prize for its front cover artwork, a second album saw the light in 1970.''If 2'' was now recorded both at the Hit Factory in New York and the Island Studios in London with Lew Futterman as a producer.The album was released, of course, on Island in UK and on Capitol in the US.

''If 2'' is again characterized by inventive and tight songwriting, combining the technical aspects of Jazz and Psychedelic Rock with Pop flourishes and Soul melodies.The first side of the LP is quite cool, maybe too much relying in the mix of psych organs, electric guitars and smooth sax melodies in just about the same motive, but the tracks contain good melodies, fine instrumental jamming parts and certainly J. W. Hodkinson's excellent voice.''Sunday day'' is propably the best cut with its dominant 60's influences, the doomy sax lines of Dick Morrissey and the loose guitar work of Terry Smith.The second side opens with the best piece of the whole album and one of If's better compositions, ''I couldn't write and tell you'', which lyrically is rather weak, but the music is more than rewarding.Very rich Jazz Rock with psychedelic grooves and dynamic Hammond organ, that rise as the track unfolds, and great KLAUS DOLDINGER-like wind instrumental parts, while Hodkinson's voice is absolutely great.The remaining two tracks explore the boundaries of smooth or more energetic Jazz Rock with commercial vibes and catchy choruses with less instrumental inventiveness but nevertheless tight performances by the band.

Another nice release by this intelligent British combo.Hardly you is able find a group, that can combine virtuosity and accesibility with such comfort and ''If 2'' is such an album, especially rewarding for fans of late-60's Proto Prog or Jazz Rock.Recommended.

Review by Aussie-Byrd-Brother
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
5 stars Released in the same year as their first album in 1970, `If 2' saw English jazz/fusion/rock band If deliver a follow-up album that was just as good, if just a little more instantly approachable than the debut. One of the things that makes this album such a winner is that, in addition to the obviously top-notch musical displays and improvisational skills of the musicians, the band have crafted those elements to a selection of accessible and melodic tunes, without really being any more overly commercial. Soul, psych, funk, jazz and heavy R&B styles are all blended seamlessly with a hard rocking sound, with thrilling instrumental runs carefully executed between strong vocal passages. Oh, and it also happens to groove like a mutha-effer the whole time!!

`Your City is Falling' opens the album in gutsy and up-tempo fashion. A catchy tune sung with bellowing conviction by lead singer J.W Hodgkinson is powered by Dennis Elliott's snappy drumming, John Mealing's nimble Hammond organ ripples and relentless dual saxophone attacks from Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey. The scathing lyric seem to be condemning watching the city you love change around you, the line "Half religious mockeries that robbed the man who died" is especially vivid, and the repeated exasperated mention of "All the restaurants?" just drives the message home perfectly. The gently melancholic `Sunday Sad' is psychedelic and drowsy, with lovely dreamy flute giving way to Terry Smith's Spanish-style slow-burn guitar solo in the middle that bubbles under and eventually erupts with lusty splintering fire, Jim Richardson's chasing bass stalking the whole time. `Tarmac T. Pirate' (check out the full nonsense title!) is a compact shorter vocal rocker dominated by Hodkinson, but the whole band offering quick little instrumental fills around him throughout.

`I couldn't Write and Tell You' opens the second side, with relentless bass, confident sax blaring and nimble jazzy guitar licks that turn into a psychedelic storm, but a sympathetic heartfelt restrained vocal in the middle over wistful flute is a nice break. `Shadows and Echoes' is a smooth soul ballad, showing that the band was equally convincing on slower, thoughtful numbers as the high energy ones. Reflective flute, lovely harmonies, a warm croon from Hodgkinson and Terry's unexpected nimble-fingered fretboard run in the center is the highlight. `I believe this girl's about to fly...' declares J.W on closer `A Song For Elsa', and fly it damn well does! It's a honking R&B stomper with a roaring vocal, furious propulsive instrumental jamming that alternates with smoky bluesy sax ruminations.

Especially worthwhile is the recent Repertoire Records CD/DVD reissue. Not only is the main album sounding absolutely wonderful, but a short bonus DVD of live vintage footage from 1971 is included. While visually it's fairly average quality, the energy of the live performance from the band is intoxicating, and, not surprising to discover, singer J.W Hodgkinson is a stocky mountain of a man, performing with power and finesse. Several of the tracks from `If 2' are performed, and it's interesting to note just how tightly written they are, as they're not all that different from the studio versions, just with a little added urgency the live environment brings.

Running just over 35 minutes, there's not enough time for any filler material to emerge, as `If 2' races through a range of fusion styles and sounds, expertly played by a bunch of top- notch musicians. It's one of the damn coolest albums in my collection, and just as special to me as If-offshoot Zzebra's second album `Panic', and it never fails to lift my mood. It's been in my collection for some years now, and after dozens upon dozens of listens, it still sounds like sheer musical perfection to my ears!

Five stars.

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
4 stars I am such an ass! Going through 45 years without hearing something as marvelous as British jazz-rock legends IF is a crying shame. If I only knew IF! LOL. So what did it take to get me up to speed after such a long period of inertia? A stupendous review by my Aussie music mate Michael reminded me that I had been missing out on something quite delicious in view of my profound adoration of Nucleus, Soft Machine, Isotope, Traffic, Sunbirds, Wigwam and even Tasavallan Presidentti! I was perhaps misguided in hearing comments about similarities with Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears , both of which are not exactly in my range of goodies.

I opted for the deluxe DVD/CD package of the IF "2" release, a beauty that has a live DVD recording as well as the studio effort, all nicely put together with an amazing booklet, artwork etc?I was already familiar with keyboard whiz John Mealing (who later graduated to Passport and the Strawbs) as well as accomplished drummer Dennis Elliott who of course became a famous Foreigner. Dick Morrisey is a sax legend, so I knew enough to be at least conscious of their existence but the big surprise for me was guitarist Terry Smith, a wicked stylist with amazing technique a la Steve Cropper (blues and a distinct RnB country feel), a rock solid bass player in Jim Richardson and a real cool vocalist in J.W. Hodgkinson. I had never heard of these three, so I was in for a thrill. Though this is late 60s music , it stills smokes quite brightly and is a joy ride from beginning to end, it got me thinking that we would need some upbeat stuff like this in our currently apathetic/doom-laden culture. (Sorry Pharell but "Happy" is not quite enough to heal the world).

Things begin in radiant fashion with a sprightly "Your City is Falling", Hodgkinson grabbing the mike stand and showing who is the boss, while the lads pummel mightily in the background. The mood is balmy, warm and inviting, a really faultless opening salvo that sets the tone perfectly.

An extended platform for improvisation is the 8 minute+ "Sunday Sad", a Spanish guitar motif finds itself escorted by a flute caress which then quickly merges into a slick rambler that fumes, smokes, smolders and rages with torrid passion, fueled by the loaded double brass assault of Quincy and Morrissey on saxophones and another fine vocal performance by J.W. Bassist Richardson carves some manic grooves while Terry Smith does a splendid job on his axe, a gritty and sulphurous affair that is just awe-inspiring. Mealing's grumpy organ is shoved along by Elliott's sturdy drumming and lo and behold, this is such exhilarating music!

The Brits love their weird song titles (hello Canterbury lads) and "Tarmac T and the Lonesome Nymphomaniac" (what year? 1969, hmmm, pretty racy, wot?) certainly qualifies, a bluesy trippy ditty with a manic vocal that has a definite Traffic/BST feel, spread-eagled by a sick sax flirting overtly with the fuzzy wuzzy organ (that is innuendo-laden wordplay for you), sensual and sexual jazz-rock with some serious soul.

Driving your vintage MG or Triumph Spitfire, propelled by a bass-mad "I Couldn't Write and Tell You", gives the music a down to earth meaning, surprising the listener with inimitable genius, a flute from nowhere, a consistently believable vocal delivery , a solid beat and some glittering solos all within its 8 minute sinews. Terry Smith glitters on his axe, a blistering technique that nears supersonic speeds, frenzied and acidic. Wow! Has anyone noticed where my jaw landed? Yeah, baby!

Smooth? You want some velvety class , well it does not get creamier than the suave breeze heard on "Shadows and Echoes", sounding like some jazz toone from the 50s movies, a cool cat skinning his brushes, upright bass bopping along while the crisp and clear guitar does some marauding. A wide mouthed vocal again does the trick, versatile and groovy.

Hey, you wanna another oddball song title, look no further than the quirky "A Song For Elsa, Three Days Before her 23rd Birthday", I mean, C'mon! Doggone it when Brits can out soul the Yanks, and that's including the 'brothers'! At least in musical terms, British blues and jazz bands of the 60s and 70s certainly played a part in emancipating white crowds into getting off on black music (Hey, Jimi, How ya doin'?). Here Quincy and Morrissey play majestically, a pure joy and total marvel to witness and revel in.

What a great record and I can bury my ignorance now by pursuing the entire catalogue!

Merci, Michael!

4.5 Rudyard Kiplings

5 stars What had been impressively started up on first IF album, found its cosequent development and maturity in their second,called 'IF2' . I really can not find single weak point on this release, but I would like to excerpt my favourites - from A side of the record that's Morrissey's 'Sunday sad' with ... (read more)

Report this review (#127899) | Posted by bsurmano | Sunday, July 8, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If 2"