IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

Buy IF If Music

Limited Edition · Remastered
Repertoire 2007
$7.99

If Not For You - A Tribute To Bob Dylan USD $12.87 Buy It Now
CRYSTAL MANSION Carolina In My Mind/If I Live 45 RPM Colossus Records USD $7.00 Buy It Now
TAMAR IF YOU DON'T WANNA LOVE ME FACTORY SEALED CASSETTE SINGLE. USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Zzebra LP-Panic (Polydor) 1975 RARE EXPERIMENTAL JAZZ PROG PSYCH FUNK IF BREAKS USD $1.99 Buy It Now
3 RECORDS STEPHANIE MILLS WHATCHA GONNA DO SWEET SENSATION IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN USD $19.95 Buy It Now
If You See Her by Brooks & Dunn (CD, Jun-1998,Album-Arista) USD $4.01 [0 bids]
NEW - Catch Me If You Can by Matthew Pierce USD $12.74 Buy It Now
New Music Record MDC "Hey Cop If I Had A Face Like Yours" LP USD $21.49 Buy It Now
Phoenix - If I Ever Feel Better 3 Track CD Single USD $6.87 Buy It Now
If An Angel Came To See You ..., Black Oak Arkansas,Good, ######Vinyl with cover USD $11.99 Buy It Now
If You Leave Me Now, ,Good, ######Vinyl with cover art - G/G-Aged collectible wi USD $11.99 Buy It Now
CHEAP TRICK Four Letter Word / If You wan't My Love 7" 45 USD $2.25 Buy It Now
Bill Anderson & Jan Howard: If It's All The Same To You, ,Good, ######Vinyl with USD $11.99 Buy It Now
THE AMEN CORNER (If Paradise Is) Half As Nice PICTURE SLEEVE 7" 45 record NEW USD $18.41 Buy It Now
Connie Francis If My Pillow Could Talk / You're The Only One MGM VG+ pic sleeve USD $7.95 Buy It Now
Critical (If You Only Knew) 12in (Wall Of Sound - 1993) 12TIV-4 (ID:15113) USD $9.17 Buy It Now
(FV835) Lower Than Atlantis, If The World Was To End - DJ CD USD $4.19 Buy It Now
Kathy Linden If I Could Hold You In/Billy vinyl 45 rpm opional center Felsted UK USD $12.00 Buy It Now
Critical (If You Only Knew) 12in (Wall Of Sound - 1993) 12TIV-4 (ID:15113) USD $10.00 Buy It Now
DINAH WASHINGTON 'IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE I'M LEAVING" Imp. Jukebox Lil JB-1102 USD $10.00 [0 bids]
BING CROSBY Sunday, Monday Or Always In b/w If You Please 78 rpm Vinyl VG 18561 USD $8.49 Buy It Now
PERRY COMO I'm Gonna Love That Gal b/w If I Loved You 78 rpm Vinyl VG 20 1676 USD $8.49 Buy It Now
PERRY COMO If I'm Lucky b/w One More Vote 78 rpm Vinyl VG+ RCA 20 1945 USD $8.49 Buy It Now
BING CROSBY If I Loved You b/w Close As Pages In A Book 78 rpm Vinyl VG+ 18686 USD $8.49 Buy It Now
Stevie Wonder 45 RPM If You Really Love Me / Think of me as your Soldier, STEVIE USD $10.99 Buy It Now
Stevie Wonder: If You Really Love Me B/w Think of Me As Your Soldier, Stevie Won USD $10.99 Buy It Now
Faye Hardin Bob Morris, Let's Do What's Right Even If It's Wrong Challenge 59286 USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Gordon Lightfoot Lot 3 Records - Don Quixote, If You Could Read My Mind USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Bobby Darin: If I Were A Carpenter / Rainin' 7" 45 VG++ USA Atlantic 45-2350, Bo USD $10.99 Buy It Now
1. MEMPHIS 2. IF YOU FALL OUT OF LOVE WITH ME / 1. FALLIN' FOR YOU 2. LET THE SA USD $10.99 Buy It Now
GENE CHANDLER Time Is A Thief / I'll Make The Living If You Make The Loving..7" USD $2.25 Buy It Now
AC/DC if you want blood PROMO Yellow vinyl L.p. USD $56.09 [1 bids]
(DU400) Sweet Baboo, If I Died... - DJ CD USD $2.79 Buy It Now
CD JOHN McDERMOTT If Ye Break Faith ... MINT CANADA USD $9.99 Buy It Now
DAUGHTER If You Leave JAPAN CD CAD3301CDJ 2013 NEW USD $187.15 Buy It Now
Oscar Peterson - If You Could See Me Now [New CD] Italy - Import USD $9.39 Buy It Now
Sonny Knight If You Want This Love/I Just Called vinyl 45 RPM Aura Records VG USD $8.95 Buy It Now
if mary's there 45 rpm single, BRIAN HYLAND,Acceptable, ##### Acceptable-45/7", USD $25.99 Buy It Now
Robert Gordon - Sea Cruise / If This Is Wrong 45 Private Stock VG+ 1978 USD $6.00 Buy It Now
John Hammond Got Love If You Want It CD USD $6.90 Buy It Now
Olivia Newton-John 45 RPM If Not For You / The Biggest Clown, Olivia Newton-John USD $10.99 Buy It Now
I'm Available/If You Were (VG 45 rpm), MARGIE RAYBURN,Acceptable, ##### Acceptab USD $10.99 Buy It Now
HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS 45 RPM If This Is It / Change Of Heart, Huey Lewis and t USD $11.99 Buy It Now
If Dreams Came True VINYL 7" 45 - Dot Records - 45-15785, Pat Boone,Acceptable, USD $25.99 Buy It Now
if you don't want my love 45 rpm single, FOUR TOPS,Acceptable, ##### Acceptable- USD $10.99 Buy It Now
Wiggins Matthews 45 IF YOU'LL ONLY COME BACK / LADY IN SATIN ~ TEM VG+ to VG++ USD $3.15 Buy It Now
If I Could Turn Back Time: Cher's Greatest Hits 1999 Geffen Records USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Anita Ward RING MY BELL / IF I COULD FEEL THAT OLD FEELING AGAIN see list 45rpm USD $2.50 Buy It Now
Johnny Maggard "If I Had My Hoss Here" 45 Rpm Record Novelty Rare Mint!! USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Jennifer Burnett "if Only You Were Here"/"you Had It Coming To Ya" 45 Rpm Mint!! USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Kenny Rogers If Only My Heart Had A Voice August 1993 CD Warner Giant ?9 24490 USD $5.50 Buy It Now
LAINIE KAZAN - "If You Go Away" VINTAGE SHEET MUSIC AUSTRALIA (M378) USD $7.64 Buy It Now
Della Reese If I didn't care / The wind in the willows 60s Record 45 rpm Jazz USD $3.49 Buy It Now
What If It All Means Something [Bonus Track] by Chantal Kreviazuk (CD, Apr-2003. USD $5.95 Buy It Now
Ozark Mountain Daredevils If You Wanna Get To Heaven 45 RPM 7" A USD $6.68 Buy It Now
GARY ALLAN SEE IF I CARE 2003 MCA/NASHVILLE/BMG DIRECT cd60 USD $3.95 Buy It Now
CD-MUSIC-You Pick -Your Choice from ALL 206 LISTED-I SHIP USA & CANADA AND WW USD $3.93 Buy It Now
Niagara If I See You in my Dreams Eiichi Otaki analog single Brand NEW rare USD $8,000.00 Buy It Now
If We Fall in Love Tonight by Rod Stewart (CD, Aug-2007, Warner Bros.) USD $9.95 Buy It Now
GLADYS KNIGHT PIPS If I Were Your Woman b/w Tracks Of My Tears 45 rpm 7" 35078 USD $5.99 Buy It Now
NM 1988 New Edition If Isn't Love / Instrumental 45RPM w/pic slv USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $1.88 Buy It Now
Kay Armen If You Believe Promo Vinyl Record lp834 USD $8.95 Buy It Now
Banshee in the Kitchen - If We Were Us [New CD] USD $19.94 Buy It Now
THE CLOVERS 45 NIP SIP / IF I COULD BE LOVED BY YOU USD $0.99 [0 bids]
HARLEMAIRES 45 IF YOU MEAN WHAT YOU SAY / ROSE OF THE RIO GRANDE USD $3.99 [0 bids]
78 RPM "PURPLE SAGE IN THE TWILIGHT/IF YOU ONLY BELIEVED IN ME" GENE AUTRY 1941 USD $10.00 Buy It Now
ANITA WARD ring my bell if i could uk tk S TKR 7543 push out centre 7" WS EX/ USD $6.13 Buy It Now
DANIELLE BRISEBOIS WHAT IF GOD FELL FROM THE SKY RARE OOP PROMO CD NEW RADICALS USD $10.99 Buy It Now
PRINCE Musicology Reflection Marrying Kind If Eye USD $30.00 Buy It Now
78 RPM Griffin Brothers DOT 1042 Your Best Friend / If You Want Some Lovin E- USD $9.99 [0 bids]
The Jackson 5 - Little Bitty Pretty One & If I Have to Move a Mountain- 45 rpm USD $6.29 Buy It Now
LUCIANA if you want 12CHSX 5009 uk chrysalis 1994 12" PS EX/EX USD $11.20 Buy It Now
J.J. if this is love 656609 6 cbs 1991 12" PS EX/EX USD $11.20 Buy It Now
LEWIS if the love fits RIVA T 45 uk riva 1986 12" PS EX/EX sos sol USD $11.20 Buy It Now
JIMMY OSMOND If Santa Were My Daddy / Silent Night 45 USD $7.64 Buy It Now
TOM JONES if i only knew ZANG 59T uk ztt 1994 12" PS EX/EX USD $11.20 Buy It Now
ASWAD if i was/fever/day by day 12BUBB 6 uk bubblin 1995 12" PS EX/EX USD $11.20 Buy It Now
HARRY JAMES & HIS ORCHESTRA Oh, Brother! / If I Loved You COLUMBIA 78~36806 USD $14.00 Buy It Now
FRANKIE FORD YOU TALK TOO MUCH/IF YOU'VE GOT TROUBLES IMPERIAL 5686 USD $9.99 Buy It Now
ROGER WHITTAKER I Don't Believe In If Anymore / Emily 45 - A Label Promo USD $11.47 Buy It Now
The Lox If You Think I'm Jiggy Rare Promo CD Single Bad Boy Records USD $7.00 [0 bids]
USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Joel Crouse If you Want Some Rare Promo CD Single USD $4.00 [0 bids]
USD $7.00 Buy It Now
78 RPM 10'' BRAZIL MARLON BRANDO JEAN SIMMONS I'LL KNOW / IF I WERE A BELL DECCA USD $40.00 Buy It Now
Sting If You Love Somebody Set Them Free & Another Day - A&M 45RPM USD $2.00 Buy It Now
What If It's You by Reba McEntire (CD, Nov-1996, MCA Nashville) USD $2.49 Buy It Now
If I Could Make a Living by Clay Walker (CD, Sep-1994, Giant (USA)) USD $2.49 Buy It Now
Michael Bloomfield If You Love These Blues Play Em As You Please LP USD $12.95 Buy It Now
Heath, Brandon : What If We CD USD $4.60 Buy It Now
LESLEY GORE I'LL CRY IF I WANT TO ALBUM 1963 MONO MERCURY RECORDS MG-20805 USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Flemming Fold : If Dreams There Be CD USD $5.72 Buy It Now
1966 Willie Hightower Soul M- 45 (So Tired / If I Had a Hammer) USD $5.99 Buy It Now
Sharissa Dawes See If I Won't / You Make It Easy VG+ 12" USA Random RAP Hip Hop USD $25.00 Buy It Now
PETER, PAUL & MARY " IF I HAD A HAMMER " VG VINTAGE 45 RPM USD $0.70 [0 bids]
NEW SEALED Sheryl Crow CD Every Day is a Winding Road If it Makes You Happy USD $7.15 Buy It Now
The Mamas And The Papas If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears Record DS-50006 USD $200.00 Buy It Now
POP GROUP 45 RPM - HARVEY BOYS - CADENCE 1335 - "IF YOU'LL BE MY LOVE" USD $5.00 Buy It Now
MN8 IF YOU ONLY LET ME IN 7" POSTER SLEEVE SINGLE 1995 N/MINT USD $2.58 Buy It Now
IF IT'S TUESDAY THIS MUST BE BELGIUM (NM) 1969 Soundtrack 12" LP UAS 5197 USD $16.49 Buy It Now
Unknown Artist : What Would You Do If Pt.1 CD USD $5.85 Buy It Now
If I Left The Zoo, Jars of Clay, Good USD $5.34 Buy It Now

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"