IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Imports 2016
If 4If 4
Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007
Not Just Another Bunch of Pretty Face / Tea Break's Over, Back On Your Heads by IfNot Just Another Bunch of Pretty Face / Tea Break's Over, Back On Your Heads by If
Sunrise

JUSTIN TUBB THE PARTY IS OVER/IF YOU'LL BE MY LOVE DECCA 30408 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
JJ/ IF YOU'RE NOT BLACK // RISE AND FALL - LAUREL AITKEN (69 SKINHEAD REGGAE 7") USD $19.99 [1 bids]
CARAVAN - If I Could Do It All Over ... 1970 Vinyl LP - French 1st - MT44.002 USD $42.05 Buy It Now 2h 31m
IF ANTHOLOGY 1970-72 CD 70`S JAZZ/PROG USD $4.21 [1 bids]
CARAVAN If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'D You UICY- JAPAN CD 2010 OBI USD $118.29 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Funny People - If We Didn't Love [New CD] USD $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 34m
D WALTERS - IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU - DANCEHALL REGGAE - JAMAICA 7" USD $4.20 [0 bids]
if The Devil Had A Guitar by Explosivo! USD $19.78 Buy It Now 2h 35m
THE FAIRLANES: Your Time Is At Hand/ If You Love Me Like You Say (45) - NM USD $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 36m
ALMA FAYE BRROKS If You Love Me... ORIG '77 Disco Classic 7" EX USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.00 Buy It Now
IF THIS IS HOUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK CD DISCO/DANCE/HOUSE NEW+ HUNEE/MUGWUMP/+ USD $26.91 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Les McCann If There's Anything Better/Same vinyl 45 RPM 1979 A&M Records VG+ USD $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 38m
The Affair - If Only You Could Be Mine - 12inch Vinyl USD $5.60 [0 bids]
If This Is Hell Then I'm Lucky by Dax Riggs (CD, Feb-2008, Fat Possum) USD $10.06 Buy It Now 2h 38m
If You Want Blood You've Got It [Remaster] by AC/DC (CD, Jul-2003, Epic) USD $7.77 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Barry Manilow If I Should Love Again (8-Track Tape, S154057) USD $6.57 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Tommy Conwell & the Young Rumblers 12"45rpm Stereo Single If We Never Meet Again USD $2.11 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians 12" Promo Single-IF I WERE A PRIEST/SOMEWHERE USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
If I Could Tell You USD $3.80 Buy It Now 2h 41m
R&B 45- RIFF RUFFIN- (I Don't Want Anybody)IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU-1956 CASH 1023 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
ANDREW BAYER - IF IT WERE YOU,WE'D NEVER LEAVE CD - DISCO / DANCE - NEW+ USD $21.30 Buy It Now 2h 41m
Gladys Knight & The Pips If I Were Your Woman UK 45 Tamla Motown USD $5.60 [0 bids]
IF TEA-BREAK OVER-BACK ON YOUR 'EADS CAPITOL ECS-80105 Japan PROMO VINYL LP USD $12.50 [7 bids]
BLACK OAK ARKANSAS IF AN ANGEL CAME TO SEE YOU.. LP VG+ ATCO SD7008 1972 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 43m
James Ray, If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody / It's Been A Drag 45 RPM Record USD $2.39 Buy It Now 2h 43m
IF THIS IS HOUSE I WANT MY MONEY BACK 3 - CD NEW+ USD $26.91 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Hush - If You Smile (CD,1998, Victor Entertainment, Japan w/OBI) VICP-60233 RARE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
STRONGBOW - IF YOU'RE GOIN TO THE CITY RARE 1973 7" SINGLE USD $14.03 [0 bids]
45 RECORD 7"- HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS - IF THIS IS IT USD $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Jon Secada If You Go 7" SBK SBK51 EX/EX 1994 picture sleeve, If You Go/If You Go USD $9.11 Buy It Now 2h 46m
EVENSANNE - WHAT IF USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.66 Buy It Now 2h 47m
Manfred Mann If You Gotta Go Go Now 7" Vinyl USD $2.11 [0 bids]
HAUSCHKA - WHAT IF (LP) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $35.12 Buy It Now 2h 47m
The Rolling Stones Got Live If You Want It! GER LP + Innerbag Red Decca RI /3* USD $25.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
MICHAEL MCDONALD IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES WARNER P-11238 Japan OBI VINYL LP USD $0.99 [1 bids]
LP SUZI QUATRO IF YOU KNEW SUZI JAPAN OBI AUTOGRAPH CARD USD $32.29 [8 bids]
CLIFTON WHITE & ROYAL KNIGHTS 45 If You Love Me / Are You Ready Baby - NM USD $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Jeanie Tracy-If this is love-1994 12" single USD $8.41 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Funny People - If We Didn't Love [CD New] USD $10.68 Buy It Now 2h 50m
REPTILES: Ballad If Mrs. George Wallace / Mixed Up 45 Hear! (obscure political) USD $100.00 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Jerry Douglas - What If [New Vinyl LP] USD $19.07 Buy It Now 2h 51m
FISHMONKEYMAN If I've Told You Once 12" Record 1991 USD $17.40 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Fats Domino, If You Don't Know What Love Is 45, Scarce NORTHERN SOUL ABC Promo USD $38.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
WINDY CITY, If By Chance 7" 45, 70s Soul On Innervision II Records, Promo, EX USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Ranny Sinclair, Fan The Flame / If I Had A Ribbon Bow 45, MOD BOSSA Columbia dj USD $37.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Husker Du, "Don't Want to Know if You are Lonely b/w Helter Skelter +1" vinyl NM USD $6.16 [2 bids]
EVENSANNE: What If - Berthold CD 2017 - prog-jazz post-rock USD $4.20 [1 bids]
LONDON GRAMMAR - If You Wait - 2014 Metal & Dust 7" Single Numbered Vinyl INDIE USD $11.23 [4 bids]
Billy Connolly - If It Wasnae For Your Wellies - XTRA 1144 (Vinyl LP) Near Mint USD $14.03 Buy It Now 2h 54m
If If (Reissue 2nd Album) - Ollo (CD Used Like New) USD $9.23 Buy It Now 2h 55m
MAXINE BROWN - unique 7" dutch 1965 M-/EX "If You Gotta Make A Fool" Scepter 60s USD $29.99 [1 bids]
Eddie Alexander If I Could Talk To Daddy Once More 7" H&L 4686 1977 FUNK USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
VIRGIN PRUNES ...IF I DIE, I DIE VIRGIN 70307 French VINYL LP USD $5.50 [4 bids]
RANDY SCRUGGS CROWN IF JEWELS BMG CASSETTE W/ VINCE GILL, BRUCE HORNSBY, ++++ USD $1.85 Buy It Now 3h 3m
SHANIA TWAIN - Don't Be Stupid / If It Don't Take Two - CD - Single USD $12.75 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Doris Duke: If She's Your Wife (Who Am I) / It Sure Was Fun 45 - Soul USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 4m
SHANIA TWAIN - Don't Be Stupid / If It Don't Take Two - CD - Single - Excellent USD $12.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
LJORD FEAT AIMEE BOBRUK - WHAT IF PROMO-CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
2Pac Tupac If My Homies Call / Brenda's Got A Baby Maxi Cassette Single USD $9.99 [1 bids]
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It - LP - ATLANTIC K 50532 USD $7.58 [0 bids]
Kim Wilde - If I Can't Have You - CD Single - 1993 USD $2.79 [0 bids]
East Seventeen feat. Gabrielle (CD1) - If You Ever (1996 CD Single) USD $2.02 Buy It Now 3h 6m
What If... [CD/DVD] [Digipak] by Mr. Big (CD+DVD/SEALED - Frontiers Rec 2011) USD $2.99 [1 bids]
If You Wanna Dance [Single] by Nobody's Angel (CD, Nov-1999, Hollywood Records) USD $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
RUTH BROWN ATLANTIC 1005 I Would If I Could / The Tears RARE R&B BLUES 78 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
WYNTON KELLY 1963 IF THAT'S THE WAY YOU WANT IT/COMIN' IN THE BACK DOOR 45-VERVE USD $1.95 [0 bids]
Elvis Presley - Help Me / If You Talk In Your Sleep-RARE Double line issue 45+PS USD $18.24 [0 bids]
Mike Berry If I Could Only Make You Care 7" 45rpm USD $1.39 [0 bids]
Elvis Presley -Help Me / If You Talk In Your Sleep-RARER Single line issue 45+PS USD $16.84 [0 bids]
CARL DOBKINS JR. - Atco 6283 - If Teardrops Were Diamonds - 1963 TEEN DJ 45 USD $9.50 Buy It Now 3h 11m
The King Earl Boogie Band Plastic Jesus/ If The Lord Don't Get You. 7" DNS.1024 USD $9.83 [0 bids]
Billy Ocean's 7" Single - Stop Me (If You've Heard It All Before) USD $1.39 [0 bids]
STATUS QUO-IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT UK VERTIGO GATEFOLDVINYL 1978 EX/EX COPY USD $0.99 [1 bids]
MENUDO REACHING OUT RARE CD Like A Cannonball Heavenly Angel If You're Not Here USD $399.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
MUSIC CASSETTE TAPE ROCK. CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW FREE FAST POSTAGE USD $2.11 [0 bids]
USD $3.44 Buy It Now
CULTURE CLUB - DON'T MIND IF I DO (EU CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM) USD $6.84 [0 bids]
LINDA CLIFFORD " IF MY FRIENDS COULD SEE ME NOW "/ " GYPSY LADY " NEW U.S.12 USD $2.79 Buy It Now 3h 16m
ETTA JONES If You Could See Me Now MUSE LP Shrink Wrap VG++ USD $7.70 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Dora Bryan All I Want For Christmas Is A Beatle/ If I Were A Fairy TF427 45rpm USD $5.62 [0 bids]
If You Could Hear Me Now by The Walker Brothers [UK IMPORT] (CD,Columbia) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
John Cougar Mellencamp Scarecrow, Uh-Huh, Nothin' Matters And What if It Did Lot USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 17m
HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES - IF YOU DONT KNOW ME BY NOW - 45 - 1972 - CBS USD $1.39 [0 bids]
WICKED DANCEHALL "If you want good" KING EVERAL !!LISTEN!! USD $4.20 [0 bids]
CHRIS BRAIDE: IF I HADN'T GOT YOU [4 Track CD + Mini Poster] USD $1.40 [0 bids]
The Irish Balladeers (4506) Bold O'Donahue/I Don't Mind if I Do 45 Record USD $5.00 [0 bids]
45 RPM Ricky Nelson IMPERIAL EP If You Can't Rock Me + 3 ROCKABILLY VG USD $9.99 [0 bids]
If I Ruled The World: Songs For The Jet Set USD $6.68 Buy It Now 3h 21m
AC/DC ~IF YOU WANT BLOOD~1978 UK LP ALBUM ~K50532 A2/B1 "Porky..Pecko" EX/EX USD $34.96 Buy It Now 3h 21m
DODGY - IF YOU'RE THINKING OF ME CD SINGLE USD $1.39 [0 bids]
FIVE - IF YA GETTIN' DOWN - CD SINGLE USD $1.39 [0 bids]
GABRIELLE - IF YOU REALLY CARED CD SINGLE USD $1.39 [0 bids]
If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something, St. James, Rebecca, Good USD $5.49 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Vendetta 01939T If You Want My Love N84MMmmDR 12"Vinyl3 PLAZA{T}1009 Ext/7"/Inst USD $9.76 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Atomic Kitten - If You Come To Me (2 Track CD Single 2003). Ex Cond USD $2.09 Buy It Now 3h 22m
River Road Somebody Will b/w As if You Didn't Know 1997 45rpm New Unplayed NM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 22m
McCoys-Up and Down/If You Tell A Lie-45 RPM Vinyl Record-NM Vinyl-Rock-7"-1966 USD $2.39 [0 bids]
USD $5.00 Buy It Now
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley (Cassette, Sep-2003, BMG) USD $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
brook benton,so true in life so true in love,if you only knew,478995.made in usa USD $5.57 Buy It Now 3h 25m
MAMA'S & THE PAPA'S - IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES & EARS - VINYL LP RECORD -S USD $10.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Varetta Dillard | R&B Soul 45 | I Miss You Jimmy / If You Want to Be My Baby USD $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"