IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Edsel Records UK 1997
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010

If Only I Could Sydney Youngblood UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) YRT34 USD $14.84 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Junior Yes...If You Want Me 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK LONXR149 LONDON USD $8.06 Buy It Now 1h 30m
THE DANDY WARHOLS Not If You Were Last Junkie On Earth UK PROMO CD Single 1998 USD $1.34 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Parka If You Wanna ? 7" vinyl single record UK JPR7026 JEEPSTER 2007 USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 30m
East Seventeen feat. Gabrielle (CD1) - If You Ever (1996 CD Single) USD $2.70 Buy It Now 1h 30m
J.J. If This Is Love 7" vinyl single record Dutch 6566097 CBS 1991 USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 30m
If You Love Somebody Set Them Free Sting 7" vinyl single record Canadian USD $17.55 Buy It Now 1h 30m
If Dreams Came True Pat Boone UK 7" vinyl single record 45-HL-D.8675 LONDON USD $14.16 Buy It Now 1h 31m
If Janet Jackson UK CD single (CD5 / 5") VSCDT1474 VIRGIN 1993 USD $12.87 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Diana Ross 3" CD single (CD3) If We Hold On Together Japanese MVDM-6 MCA 1988 USD $23.74 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Bread If Japanese 3" CD single (CD3) WPDR-3010 WEA 1994 USD $16.26 Buy It Now 1h 31m
If I Can't Change Your Mind - Digipak Sugar (90s) UK CD single (CD5 / 5") USD $12.87 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Korgis If It's Alright With You Baby 7" vinyl single record UK TREB118 RIALTO USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Kate Winslet WHAT IF European Import Promotion 1-trk CD Single USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
SAMMY KAYE If I Cared a Little Bit Less / Taboo 10" 78 Victor 27972 shellac USD $5.24 Buy It Now 1h 32m
HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES If You Don't Know Me By Now MEGA RARE UNIQUE Japan 45 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
ELKIE BROOKS FOOL IF YOU THINK IT'S OVER 7" 1981 UK USD $6.10 Buy It Now 1h 33m
JOE SOLO. EAST YORKSHIRE'S FOLK SINGER. IF PEEL STREET COULD TALK. BRAND NEW CD USD $5.41 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Lifer CD By MercyMe 2017 (Even If, We Win, You Found Me) BRAND NEW SEALED HOT USD $12.49 Buy It Now 1h 33m
ELECTROTUNES IF THIS AIN'T LOVE 7" DEMO WITH P/S UK USD $15.60 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Sheryl Crow If It Makes You Happy CD single (CD5 / 5") UK 581885-2 A USD $12.87 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Gene Pitney If I Didn't Have A Dime 7" vinyl single record New Zealand MU-1022 USD $31.13 Buy It Now 1h 36m
If You Can't Give Me Love Suzi Quatro 7" vinyl single record UK RAK271 RAK USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 36m
If I Could - Green Vinyl Hundred Reasons UK 7" vinyl single record 6724407 USD $14.16 Buy It Now 1h 36m
If You Go Breaking My Heart Hush (00s) UK CD single (CD5 / 5") MCSTD40449 USD $12.87 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Hush (00s) CD single (CD5 / 5") If I Was UK MCATD40419 UNIVERSAL 2005 USD $12.87 Buy It Now 1h 36m
KEITH JAMES - If Your Face Wants To Laugh, Well Let It / Tired Hands - 8" 78rpm USD $6.71 [0 bids]
Billy Craddock Never Ending/If I Could Write A Song As Beautiful As You 45 RPM USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Nancy Davis If You Belonged To Me 7" vinyl single record UK PWL221 PWL 1992 USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 40m
If Only Tomorrow Ronnie Carroll UK 7" vinyl single record 326550BF PHILIPS USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 40m
DIRE STRAITS TWISTING BY THE POOL 7" 1983 WITH TWO YOUNG LOVERS + IF I HAD YOU U USD $7.46 Buy It Now 1h 40m
If Every Day Was Like Christmas by Elvis Presley - NEW USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
CARAVAN - If I Could Do It All Over ... 1970 Vinyl LP - French 1st - MT44.002 USD $40.63 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Sting If You Love Somebody Set Them Free EP USA 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) USD $18.91 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Prince If I Was Your Girlfriend UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) W8334T USD $21.64 Buy It Now 1h 42m
You Can Get It If You Really Want... Desmond Dekker 7" record UK USD $24.35 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Funny People - If We Didn't Love [New CD] USD $12.19 Buy It Now 1h 44m
If That's What It Takes Terraplane 7" vinyl single record UK TERRA1 EPIC 1986 USD $13.48 Buy It Now 1h 45m
If I Ruled The World Kurtis Blow 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK JABX26 CLUB USD $14.84 Buy It Now 1h 45m
If I Were You K.D. Lang CD single (CD5 / 5") USA 9-43624-2 WARNER 1995 USD $16.94 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE FAIRLANES: Your Time Is At Hand/ If You Love Me Like You Say (45) - NM USD $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 47m
DAVID ESSEX IF I COULD 7" P/S GERMAN USD $12.89 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Les McCann If There's Anything Better/Same vinyl 45 RPM 1979 A&M Records VG+ USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 48m
NEW HOLIDAYS northern soul xover 45 Maybe So Maybe No / If I Only Knew~ Soulhawk USD $19.38 [4 bids]
DAVE CLARK FIVE CATCH US IF YOU CAN 7" 1965 WITH MOVE ON(LIGHT USE) UK USD $7.46 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Syreeta If The Shoe Fits UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) MOTC4 MOTORCITY USD $16.20 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Primal Scream If They Move Kill 'Em CD single (CD5 / 5") UK CRESCD284 USD $16.94 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Huey Lewis News Picture Sleeve Record Cover If This Is It/Change Of Heart 45rpm USD $0.99 [0 bids]
If You Leave Me Now Ray Conniff vinyl LP album record UK CBS81910 CBS 1976 USD $16.21 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Dandy Warhols Not If You Were The Last Junkie On E... CD single (CD5 / 5") UK USD $13.55 Buy It Now 1h 50m
If You'll Be Mine Babybird UK CD single (CD5 / 5") ECSCD65 ECHO 1998 USD $12.19 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Helloween If I Could Fly CD single (CD5 / 5") German 2736165322 NUCLEAR BLAST USD $14.91 Buy It Now 1h 50m
DANNY WILSON IF YOU REALLY LOVE ME (DJ) 7" 2 MIX DJ PROMO + P/S UK USD $10.17 Buy It Now 1h 50m
If Everyone I Ever Loved Left Me Bigger The God CD single (CD5 / 5") UK 9711 USD $17.97 Buy It Now 1h 50m
BLACK OAK ARKANSAS IF AN ANGEL CAME TO SEE YOU.. LP VG+ ATCO SD7008 1972 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 53m
Alfie / If You Happy With, You Need Do Nothing - CD - NEW USD $15.80 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Hush - If You Smile (CD, 1998, Victor Entertainment Inc., Japan w/OBI) VERY RARE USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
DAVID ESSEX, IF I COULD ,7" VINYL USD $2.37 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Won-Too - If the freak dont wanna dance - IBdoina Records - 12" USD $6.77 [0 bids]
SFS - I don't even know if I should call you Marshall Jefferson - 12 USD $5.41 [0 bids]
Jon Secada If You Go 7" SBK SBK51 EX/EX 1994 picture sleeve, If You Go/If You Go USD $8.80 Buy It Now 1h 57m
HUIJBREGIS/EVEN/WEISSMAN - WHAT IF-EVENSANNE USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $16.30 Buy It Now 1h 57m
HAUSCHKA - WHAT IF (LP) VINYL LP NEW+ USD $31.90 Buy It Now 1h 57m
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW CBS RECORDS UK 7" VINYL SINGLE RECORD USD $1.89 [0 bids]
AC/DC If you want blood LP USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Catch us if you can - Dave Clark Five USD $2.16 [0 bids]
ROLLING STONES / GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! 1966 orig Bell Sound PS-493 plays NM USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h
Jeff Foxworthy You Might Be a Redneck If USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2h
Jeanie Tracy-If this is love-1994 12" single USD $8.13 Buy It Now 2h
Funny People - If We Didn't Love [CD New] USD $10.68 Buy It Now 2h
CHRIS THOMPSON IF YOU REMEMBER ME 7" 1979 UK USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 2m
FISHMONKEYMAN If I've Told You Once 12" Record 1991 USD $17.40 Buy It Now 2h 2m
CHICAGO IF SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN FAITHFUL... 7" P/S UK USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 4m
CHICAGO IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW 7" REISSUE + P/S DUTCH USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 4m
CHEAP TRICK IF YOU WANT MY LOVE 7" PROMO WITH P/S UK USD $12.89 Buy It Now 2h 5m
If If (Reissue 2nd Album) - Ollo (CD Used Like New) USD $9.23 Buy It Now 2h 5m
CHEAP TRICK IF YOU WANT MY LOVE 7" 1982 WITH FOUR LETTER WORD UK USD $7.46 Buy It Now 2h 6m
CHEAP TRICK EVERYTHING WORKS IF YOU LET IT 7" PROMO UK USD $12.89 Buy It Now 2h 6m
KINGOFTHEHILL IF I SAY (Radio Edition) SBK RECORDS 7" VINYL SINGLE in PIC/SLEEVE USD $4.06 [0 bids]
Choose any four (6 if BIN) from Lot of Classic Rock/Pop LP Vinyl Records READ USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $12.00 Buy It Now
Mr Big (US) CD album (CDLP) What If... Japanese promo IEPR-10026 USD $27.81 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Eddie Alexander If I Could Talk To Daddy Once More 7" H&L 4686 1977 FUNK USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
BUCKS FIZZ IF YOU CAN'T STAND THE HEAT 7" PIC DISC WITH STEPPING OUT UK USD $15.60 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Various-If I Had A Hammer: The Great American Folk Album CD NEW USD $27.17 Buy It Now 2h 10m
GROOVE ARMADA If Everybody Looked The Same 12" Single EP LP Vinyl Record Album USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Fundamentum Divisionis [CD] 2000 by K.I.F.O.T.H. USD $15.92 Buy It Now 2h 11m
JAMES RAY - If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody - clean 45 rpm - Caprice 110 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Tony Ransom - Stay if you wanna - Expansion Records - 12" USD $6.77 [0 bids]
Doris Duke: If She's Your Wife (Who Am I) / It Sure Was Fun 45 - Soul USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Olivia Newton-John - If Not For You-CD 1993 Original Festival Records-D 19809 USD $36.31 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Rolling Stones Got Live If You Want It! Mono LP VG+/VG++ USD $16.00 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Roger Whittaker i don't believe in if anymore Philips Holland VG+ HEAR USD $2.86 Buy It Now 2h 20m
CARL DOBKINS JR. - Atco 6283 - If Teardrops Were Diamonds - 1963 TEEN DJ 45 USD $9.50 Buy It Now 2h 21m
MENUDO REACHING OUT RARE CD Like A Cannonball Heavenly Angel If You're Not Here USD $399.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
LINDA CLIFFORD " IF MY FRIENDS COULD SEE ME NOW "/ " GYPSY LADY " NEW U.S.12 USD $4.06 Buy It Now 2h 26m
ETTA JONES If You Could See Me Now MUSE LP Shrink Wrap VG++ USD $7.70 Buy It Now 2h 26m
BANGLES IF SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTS 7" P/S UK USD $6.10 Buy It Now 2h 27m
BANGLES IF SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTS 7" P/S DUTCH USD $10.17 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Nasir Jones 3 TRK CD Single I Can, If I Ruled The World and Street Dreams USD $2.71 [0 bids]
BABYS IF YOU'VE GOT THE TIME 7" P/S 4 TRACK 1976 UK USD $10.17 Buy It Now 2h 30m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"