IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Imports 2016
Fibonaccis Number / More Live IfFibonaccis Number / More Live If
Import · Remastered
Repertoire 2010

ELLERINE HARDING-MAINSTREAM DJ COPY IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD ITS ALL RIGHT NM USD $5.00 Buy It Now
TOMMY SHAW - GIRLS WITH GUNS/WHAT IF * NEW CD USD $19.62 Buy It Now
Cher ?- If I Could Turn Back Time (Rock Guitar Version) Vinyl 12" UK 89 GEF 59T USD $9.34 Buy It Now
CALIBRE Even If. 3x LP NEW VINYL Signature repress Soul:R USD $53.99 Buy It Now
Jennifer Lopez IF YOU HAD MY LOVE Euro 3tr CD + POSTER USD $6.00 Buy It Now
IF WISHES WERE HORSES NEW CD USD $13.26 Buy It Now
The Sears - If Only 12" EP UK 1984 VG+/VG+ # Punk USD $46.74 Buy It Now
Sting - If I Ever Lose My Faith In You 7" single VG USD $4.01 Buy It Now
MADETOJA:SO WHAT IF I SING NEW CD USD $20.65 Buy It Now
What If [US] [Single] by Reba McEntire (CD, Nov-1997, MCA Nashville) USD $3.00 Buy It Now
AC/DC If You Want Blood You Got It Australian Vinyl LP Rare EX USD $27.44 [8 bids]
HENRY RED ALLEN / HIGGINBOTHAM - If It's Love You Want / Count Me RCA - 78rpm USD $17.95 Buy It Now
Chicago Love Songs LP Vinyl Album 12". If You Leave Me Now etc - Excellent Cond USD $10.62 Buy It Now
JANE POWELL "Mind If I Make Love To You / True Love" (E+) HMV POP-267 [78 RPM] USD $10.62 Buy It Now
YES The Ladder 1999 Promo CD Homeworld, Lightning Strikes, If Only You Knew USD $2.49 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
VINYL 7" SINGLE - IF YOU THINK YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME - CLAIRE NICHOLSON - RAK2 USD $9.34 Buy It Now
WILLY MASON - IF THE OCEAN GETS ROUGH CD 11 TRACKS PROGRESSIVE ROCK / POP NEW+ USD $16.55 Buy It Now
If you Miss 'im...I Got 'im by John Lee Hooker 1969 Vinyl Bluesway Records 1st USD $49.99 Buy It Now
Chantal Kreviazuk What If It All Means Something Taiwan Ltd w/obi CD Sealed 2002 USD $19.99 Buy It Now
VIBRASONIC: If I Were A Rich Man / Night Train 45 (PS, red vinyl) Rock & Pop USD $6.00 Buy It Now
COLIN JAMES - IF YOU LEAN ON ME - 4 TRACK CD SINGLE - MINT USD $2.66 Buy It Now
Kasey Chambers - If I Were You 4 Track CD Single USD $6.06 Buy It Now
Harmful If Swallowed [PA] by Dane Cook (CD, Jul-2003, Comedy Central Records) USD $3.38 Buy It Now
MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE IF Expanded & Remixed CD EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $3.98 [0 bids]
THE PLATTERS More Golden Hits CD My Dream, If I Didn't Care, I'm Sorry USD $2.49 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
PROMO LABEL ORANGE VINYL / THE ROLLING STONES GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT / WITH OBI USD $79.99 Buy It Now
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner) USD $2.95 Buy It Now
JACK WARNER THE TURKISH BATH ATTENDANT & IF I HAD ONLY PUT AN X COLUMBIA FB3443 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 17s
PROMO WHITE LABEL IF DOUBLE DIAMOND USD $129.99 Buy It Now 4m 35s
Jeff Foxworthy, You Might Be a Redneck If..., Excellent USD $5.02 Buy It Now 4m 56s
7" Single: Stevie Wonder - Lately / If It's Magic ** USD $1.32 [0 bids]
5m 10s
SIMPLY RED Greatest Hits CD Holding Back The Years, If You Don't Know Me by Now USD $2.49 [0 bids]
5m 49s
10" 78 Hylton, Jack "Turn On The Heat" / "If I Had A Talking Picture" HMV B 5741 USD $160.25 Buy It Now 7m 20s
LONE JUSTICE I found love Extended and Lp mix/If You don't like Rain 3trk 12" USD $10.68 Buy It Now 10m 16s
Incubus - If Not Now When? [CD] USD $6.26 Buy It Now 13m 17s
BOBBY BLAND: The Soul Of A Man / If I Weren't A Gambler 45 (UK, demo) Soul USD $10.00 Buy It Now 13m 26s
EMANUELE PARRINI / 1974 IS SO DAMN IF I KNOW... USD $16.40 Buy It Now 16m 8s
N.S.P. & DAVID CAMACHO feat JON JUNIOR - We Can Make it if we Try - 1995 UK 12" USD $18.02 Buy It Now 17m 23s
MEAT LOAF - IF YOU REALLY WANT TO (UK 1983 7" INCH SINGLE) EPIC A 3357 USD $2.66 Buy It Now 19m 36s
LUCIA CAPPELLI/ IF SIX WAS NINE LA MUSICA DI JIMI HENDRIX PER JAZZ ENSEMBL... USD $16.40 Buy It Now 23m 3s
UB40 - If It Happens Again - Very Good+ condition- 7" single USD $2.60 [0 bids]
24m 31s
MESHELL NDEGEOCELLO - If That's Your Boyfriend - CD ** Very Good Condition ** USD $12.95 Buy It Now 25m 28s
Barry Brown - If I Give My Love / Leroy Smart - Money Is Comfort 12" 45T Roots ? USD $30.00 Buy It Now 26m 53s
somebody's eyes / if you could read my mind 45 rpm single, VIOLA WILLS, Acceptab USD $20.67 Buy It Now 27m 18s
7" 45 Vinyl Record - Rod Stewart - If Loving you is Wrong / Last Summer USD $1.32 [0 bids]
34m 27s
SCOTT FITZGERALD IF I HAD WORDS 7" VINYL FREE POST EX CON USD $3.27 Buy It Now 34m 33s
If Provoked - CD (6 x Track Self released CDR the house of homemade hardcore) USD $10.28 Buy It Now 34m 33s
78rpm FATS WALLER if it isn`t love / believe it beloved ; JF15 USD $80.13 Buy It Now 35m 44s
Lucia Cappelli, Diego Carraresi (IF SIX WAS NINE) / ANDANTE ALLEGRO (CON TES... USD $16.40 Buy It Now 37m 46s
R.B. HUDMON: How Can I Be A Witness / If You Don't Cheat On Me 45 (UK) Soul USD $15.00 Buy It Now 38m
GORDON LIGHTFOOT - IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND CD POP NEW+ USD $14.77 Buy It Now 38m 1s
If It Ain't Stiff...A Stiff Records Collection (2001) CD Punk New Wave USD $9.20 Buy It Now 45m 40s
Julie Snow - If Words Were Stones [New CD] USD $21.28 Buy It Now 49m 43s
Being if Hitori Omou Renka Limited Edition CD + DVD from Japan USD $37.96 Buy It Now 50m 51s
DEAN GEYER_If You Don't Mean It_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_J10 USD $9.15 Buy It Now 52m 22s
V2 BEST OF DUNWICH IF YOURE - V/A - CD - **EXCELLENT CONDITION** USD $19.75 Buy It Now 52m 50s
MIDGE URE IF I WAS 7" VINYL FREE POST USD $3.27 Buy It Now 53m 23s
Japan Red Vinyl> IF < CP-80291 Soft Machine Nucleus BS&T Free Shipping USD $40.00 Buy It Now 55m 43s
ALARM - Spirit If 76 - Excellent Condition 7" Single IRS IRM 109 USD $5.32 Buy It Now 58m 55s
The Static Jacks-If You'Re Young CD Excellent USD $4.00 Buy It Now 59m 6s
BILLIE JO SPEARS, IF YOU WANT ME USD $3.00 Buy It Now 59m 38s
DAVID CROSBY - IF I COULD ONLY REMEMBER MY NAME CD NEW+ USD $14.77 Buy It Now 1h 3m
If The Price Is Right Bonnie Pointer Vinyl Record USD $17.29 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Perfume If you wanna Japan Single CD+DVD 1st Press Sleeve Case 2017 LTD USD $24.29 Buy It Now 1h 7m
LEE GREENWOOD - If Theres Any Justice - CD - Import - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $35.49 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Manic Street Preachers-If You Tolerate... -Cds- (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $5.82 Buy It Now 1h 10m
BLOSSOM TOES - IF ONLY FOR A MOMENT - PSYCH USD $14.68 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Five - If Ya Gettin' Down Cassette USD $1.32 [0 bids]
AC/DC - If You Want Blood ... CD Japan OBI Atlantic 18P2-2760 USD $40.95 Buy It Now 1h 12m
If Not for You [Digipak] by Joey Feek (CD, Apr-2017, Gaither Music Group) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BOBBY WILLIAMS - WONDER IF MY BABY'S COMING HOME / CAN'T LET YOU SEE ME CRY. VG+ USD $53.42 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BUSH / BUSHMEN - GOT BUSH IF YOU WANT IT - NEW USD $15.13 Buy It Now 1h 20m
BUCKS FIZZ: If You Can't Stand The Heat / Stepping Out 45 (UK, pic disc, PVC sl USD $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Sealed! CELINE DION If You Asked Me To JAPAN 3" CD SINGLE ESDA7095 Fress S USD $199.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
IF I GIVE MY HEART TO YOU/KITTY KALLEN (LP)12", 33RPM (EX) COLUMBIA (G) USD $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 21m
MICHAEL McDONALD IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES WEST GERMANY CD JAPAN EDIT 3800yen 38XP USD $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Little Milton 45 If That Ain't Reason For Your Woman To Leave You / Mr Mailman USD $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
STARS ON 54_If You Could Read My Mind_used CD-s_ships from AUS!_C5 USD $9.15 Buy It Now 1h 24m
REBA MCENTIRE - If You See Him Audio - CD - Dts Surround Sound Enhanced - *NEW* USD $17.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
1987 PRINCE "IF I WAS YOUR GIRLFRIEND" VINYL 12" SINGLE RECORD (PAISLEY PARK) USD $25.36 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Primal Scream If they move 1998 press advert Full page 30 x 40 cm mini poster USD $6.66 Buy It Now 1h 27m
AC/DC - If You Want Blood You've Got It - CD - USD $4.66 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Robert Earl - If You Can Dream - CDEA6211 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
SHAM 69 "If The Kids are United" nice GERMAN Polydor 45 '78 Ex/EX *FREE P USD $17.35 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Bobby Darin (RARE EP 1962 VG+) "If a Man Answers" Capitol/Custom # MB 2849 [email protected]@K! USD $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 31m
EILEEN BARTON - IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMIN' I'D'VE BAKED A CAKE * USED - VERY GOOD USD $16.94 Buy It Now 1h 33m
WENDY MATTHEWS IF ONLY I COULD - RARE AUSTRALIAN CASSINGLE TAPE USD $8.35 Buy It Now 1h 34m
1927 IF I COULD - AUSTRALIAN 7" 45 VINYL RECORD USD $9.53 Buy It Now 1h 34m
BEYONCE cd I AM SASHA FIERCE hits SINGLE LADIES ego HALO if were a boy AVE MARIA USD $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Static Jacks-If You'Re Young CD Excellent USD $3.02 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Wiz Khalifa - O.N.I.F.C. (NEW CD) USD $9.67 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Peggy Lee vinyl LP If you go Capitol records arranged by Quincy Jones USD $1.32 [0 bids]
KIN VASSY: Makes Me Wonder If I Ever Said Goodbye / Mono 45 (dj) Country USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 44m
primal scream - if they move kill em scare cd single USD $14.26 Buy It Now 1h 44m
VINTAGE 45 RPM JANE POWELL MIND IF I MAKE LOVE TO YOU/TRUE LOVE USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
VINTAGE NAT KING COLE DARLING/IF I MAY/A BLOSSUM FELL/SAND AND THE SEA USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
TELLY SAVALAS 45 - IF 1970s Top 40 pop on MCA USD $1.91 Buy It Now 1h 44m
PHOEBE SNOW P/S 45 " IF I CAN JUST GET THROUGH THE NIGHT " 1980s POP USD $1.14 Buy It Now 1h 44m
AC DC Vinyl Album. If you want blood, you USD $1.32 [1 bids]
BROWN, LES AND HIS BAND OF ...-If You Please CD NEW USD $16.50 Buy It Now 1h 48m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"