IF

Dick Morrissey - Saxophones, Flute
Dave Quincy - Saxophones
Jim Richardson - Bass
Terry Smith - Guitar

LP ISLAND ILPS9129 (UK) (1970)
LP CAPITOL CAST539 (US) (1970)
CD REPERTOIRE (2006)

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

IF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IF If Music

Import · Limited Edition · Remastered · Special Edition
Repertoire 2007

If I Ever Fall In Love, Shai, Excellent USD $6.98 Buy It Now
PLEASURES "IF I HAD A LITTLE MONEY / MUSIC CITY" 45 PROMO USD $9.75 Buy It Now
RONNIE DOVE 45 RECORD-A LITTLE BIT OF HEAVEN/ IF I LIVE TO BE A HUNDRED..VG+1965 USD $2.25 Buy It Now
All You Can Eat by k.d. lang CD Brand New! Alternate Country Rock If I Were You USD $4.95 [0 bids]
LONDON GRAMMAR If You Want DIGIPAK NEW USD $15.00 Buy It Now
SKEETER DAVIS I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) VG+(+) 45 RPM USD $0.19 [0 bids]
Mamas And The Papas If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears Mini LP SHM CD JAPAN USD $20.50 [2 bids]
Mrs Fletcher : If Jesus Is My Co-Pilot the Devils Ridin CD USD $4.72 Buy It Now
Stones by Neil Diamond - CD - I Am... I Said / Stones / If You Go Away / more USD $5.95 Buy It Now
BOBBY WOOD MY HEART WENT BOING BOING BOING // IF I'M A FOOL FOR LOVING YOU 45 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
David And The Boys Next Door: Land O' Love/If I Was King 1965 Skipper 828R-1240 USD $24.99 Buy It Now
THE BEATLES ORIGINAL SHEET MUSIC "IF I FELL" 1964 NORTHERN SONGS LTD. USD $12.98 [0 bids]
Brisk Storm ?- Come And Have A Go If You Think You're Hardcore (Box C105) USD $11.87 Buy It Now
If I'm Honest USD $11.97 Buy It Now
If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something by St. James, Rebecca USD $3.47 Buy It Now
Elvis Presley - If Everyday Was Like Christmas-Special Collectors Edition-New USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Solomun Burke - Debut Album / If You Need Me [New CD] Spain - Import USD $9.31 Buy It Now
EDDIE HIGGINS TRIO If Dreams Come True TKCV-35531 CD JAPAN 2005 NEW USD $158.46 Buy It Now
PROMO Dance 12" Claudja Barry If I Do It To You (2 Versions) Mirage VG+ 1982 USD $6.00 Buy It Now
JEFF BECK Flash 1985 US Cassette - combined/discounted shipping if you buy 2+ USD $1.65 Buy It Now
BOBBY DARIN * 45 * If A Man Answers * 1962 USA * STOCK 45 w/ PS * Picture Sleeve USD $4.80 Buy It Now
ORIGINAL ALBUM SERIES*POGUES*5CD*RED ROSES*RUM,SODOMY,THE LASH*IF I SHOULD FALL USD $10.99 Buy It Now 14s
Jack in the Box : If Youre Happy & You Know... CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 2m 52s
STING "IF ON A WINTER´S NIGHT" CD NEW+ USD $16.52 Buy It Now 7m 13s
(CA478) Let's Wrestle, If I Keep On Loving You - DJ CD USD $3.31 Buy It Now 7m 51s
JAMES BROWN & THE FAMOUS FLAMES - I GOT THE FEELIN'/IF I RULED THE WORLD - KING USD $6.99 [0 bids]
9m 43s
BILLIE HOLIDAY - GOD BLESS THE CHILD/TAIN'T NOBODY'S BUSINESS IF I DO -MCA- VG++ USD $7.99 [0 bids]
10m 5s
Ford, Matt : If at First CD USD $7.97 Buy It Now 11m 17s
THE BEATLES IF I FELL/AND I LOVE HER 45 RECORD & PICTURE SLEEVE CAPITOL 5235 PS USD $26.02 [5 bids]
15m 7s
BOB DYLAN - TANGLED UP IN BLUE/IF YOU SEE HER, SAY HELLO - COLUMBIA - NM USD $9.99 [0 bids]
17m 7s
Gene Autry: Ruldolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer / If It Doesn't Snow On Christmas 78 USD $5.10 [0 bids]
19m 6s
POGUES: If I Should Fall From Grace With God 12 (UK, PC, slight corner bend) USD $8.00 Buy It Now 19m 32s
If I Can Dream: Elvis Presley with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Elvis Presl USD $26.80 Buy It Now 20m 24s
The Ink Spots- If I Didn't Care/Do I Worry? Early Pop on DECCA 78rpm in 1939 USD $6.50 [4 bids]
21m 55s
QUARTER TO THREE G.Bonds & IF YOU WANNA BE HAPPY J.Soul 78rpm Jukebox Record NOS USD $65.00 Buy It Now 22m 51s
BLUEBOY If Wishes Were Horses QTCY-2015 CD JAPAN 1992 NEW USD $371.40 Buy It Now 24m 22s
Peter Frampton Wind if Change Tan A&M GR8 Vinyl USD $5.99 Buy It Now 24m 33s
What If? by Emerson Drive (CD, Jun-2004, Dreamworks Nashville) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 24m 37s
TONY COLE If The Music Stops 1972 FOLK ROCK SSW LP w LYRIC INSERT USD $13.00 Buy It Now 26m 15s
RONNIE DOVE A Little Bit Of Heaven DIAMOND 45-184 If I Live To Be A Hundred USD $10.00 Buy It Now 26m 16s
STANKY BROWN GROUP If The Lights Don't Get You The Helots Will 1977 SIRE AOR LP USD $13.00 Buy It Now 26m 16s
You Might Be a Redneck If... by Jeff Foxworthy (CD, Jun-1993, Warner Bros.) USD $1.59 Buy It Now 27m 35s
BLUEWATER If I were you and you were me RARE promo NM 1977 DJ 45 vinyl H USD $11.40 Buy It Now 28m 22s
ELVIS PRESLEY WITH THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA If I Can Dream CD BRAND NEW USD $12.07 Buy It Now 29m 50s
CLASSIC DISCO - YVONNE ELLIMAN - IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU - 45 RPM -(ORIGINAL) VG+++ USD $6.99 Buy It Now 32m 47s
A Love Like Ours by Barbra Streisand CD 1999 Columbia If You Ever Leave Me USD $6.99 Buy It Now 36m 11s
LEISA LANGSTAFF~BYE / IF YOU WERE MINE~PRIVATE MICHIGAN SOUL~BLUES~VANESSA USD $49.99 [0 bids]
36m 12s
LIEUTENANT-IF I KILL THIS THING WE'RE ALL GOING TO EAT FOR A WEEK-JAPAN CD E51 USD $21.50 Buy It Now 36m 40s
DAVID CASSIDY If I Didn't Care JAPAN 7" BLPB-231 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 37m 36s
45 Rock Bread/If/Take comfort/Elektra/USA/VG+ HEAR USD $2.40 Buy It Now 39m 1s
1986 SEALED LP Bonnie Tyler Secret Dreams Forbidden Fire w/ If you were a Woman USD $34.99 Buy It Now 40m 26s
Husker Du 12" Single DON'T WANT TO KNOW IF YOU ARE LONELY 1986 Vinyl Record Nice USD $8.99 Buy It Now 41m 9s
Lisa Delan - If the Song Be Worth a Smile: Songs By American [New SACD] Hybrid S USD $15.25 Buy It Now 41m 28s
Linda Clifford If My Friends Could See Me Now LP Vinyl Record, Very Good Plus USD $2.99 Buy It Now 44m 10s
The Rolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It - Beat 60s 70s USD $21.53 Buy It Now 45m 31s
Shai If I Ever Fall in Love GASD-10762 PERFECT CD NEAR MINT FREE US SHIPPING USD $8.53 Buy It Now 45m 38s
YES Big Generator 1987 US Cassette - discounted shipping if you buy 2 or more USD $1.98 Buy It Now 46m 28s
Lisa Delan - If the Song Be Worth a Smile: Songs By American [New SACD] Hybrid S USD $15.78 Buy It Now 49m 7s
ROY DRUSKY: If The Whole World Stopped Lovin' LP (Mono,woc, small library toc, USD $18.00 Buy It Now 49m 11s
Vintage Vinyl (2) "Cher" If I could Turn Back Time & Just Like Jesse James( 7") USD $5.54 [0 bids]
USD $7.92 Buy It Now
49m 30s
OMD If You Leave AM 2811 45 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
50m 9s
Jewel, Buddy : If She Were Any Other Woman Me Lovin Y CD USD $4.10 Buy It Now 51m 16s
RARE PROMO 1994 CLAY WALKER If I Could Make a Living CASSETTE TAPE Excellent A+ USD $7.58 Buy It Now 56m 58s
Blue Sandcastle : If You Only Knew... CD (2002) USD $4.99 Buy It Now 58m 45s
LITTLE WILLIE POLLARD: If We Ever Meet Again / The City 45 (dj, wol, bluesy Fun USD $80.00 Buy It Now 1h
The Bee Gees RSO RS 885 Stayin Alive - If I Cant Have You 45 RPM USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
"If They Knew" Kaz James *LIKE NEW* 2008 CD USD $10.25 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Best if miles davis The Capital Blue Note Years 1992 BMG direct Jazz USD $3.69 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Harmful If Swallowed [PA] by Dane Cook (CD, Jul-2003, Comedy Central Records) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
The Four Runners - If I Take the Wings of the Morning LP Vinyl Crusade USD $16.00 Buy It Now 1h 9m
What If Thinking "I Want that Boy/Run, Run, Run" Electro/Synth Pop EX USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $19.99 Buy It Now
Bobby Sherman 45 La La La If I Had You/Time small sticker on label (2006) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Merle Haggard Okie From Muskogee If I Had Left It Up To You 45 Record 7" Country USD $6.29 Buy It Now 1h 10m
If You Go / Si Te Vas by Secada, Jon USD $4.90 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Rick Nelson Gypsy - Woman If You Can't Rock Me - Picture Sleeve 45 RPM Lot of 2 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
TRACIE SPENCER - STILL IN MY HEART / IF YOU WANNA GET DOWN - 7" SINGLE 45 X USD $2.59 Buy It Now 1h 13m
HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS - IF THIS IS IT / CHANGE OF HEART - 7" SINGLE 45 T USD $2.29 Buy It Now 1h 14m
CONNIE FRANCIS - TOWARD THE END OF THE DAY / IF I DIDN'T CARE - 7" SINGLE 45 P USD $1.59 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Barry Manilow, If I Should Love Again, ( SEALED ) USD $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Geri Halliwell Scream If You Wanna Go Faster Thai Cassette Seal OOP Spice Girls USD $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Joe Stampley If You Touch Me, Moe Brandy It's A Cheating Situation Many Mansions USD $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Myrna Summers YOU DONT HAVE NOTHING (If You Dont Have Jesus) black gospel LP USD $24.88 Buy It Now 1h 23m
EDWIN HAWKINS . IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED (TRY AGAIN) . LECTION LP 1980 USD $2.95 Buy It Now 1h 24m
REVEREND MILTON BRUNSON AND THE THOMPSON COMMUNITY SINGERS . IF I BE LIFTED . LP USD $2.95 Buy It Now 1h 24m
AC/DC If You Want Blood ?JAPAN 1ST PRESS?LP P-10618A w/OBI & INSERT NM/NM USD $75.00 [0 bids]
Derrick Parker "If You Don't Know Me" and Version Cha-Cha Records Reggae Import USD $2.99 [1 bids]
Yanni Reflections Of Passion And Yanni If I Could Tell You 2 CD Set USD $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Dolzani, Brian, If I Don't Speak a Word, Excellent USD $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Yanni - If I Could Tell You (2000 Virgin Records America 7243 8 49893 2) Used CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 33m
JIMI HENDRIX Tribute CD "If 6 Was 9" Various Thin White Rope Giant Sand RARE OOP USD $45.00 [0 bids]
Rare Country 45 - Mallie Anne & Slim - If You Know- Columbia #21396 - Promo - M- USD $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
XS.IF-The Hip Hop Disciple CD New USD $3.86 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Doggys Angels Baby If You're Ready CASSETTE TAPE NEW! USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
David Allan Coe Live: If That Ain't Country USD $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
If You Say Go USD $3.47 Buy It Now 1h 41m
FOUR ACES "IF YOU CAN DREAM / THE GAL WITH THE YALLER SHOES" 45 USD $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Rockabilly/Instro RHYTHM ADDICTS-Hot Rod/If You're Square CEE GEE-KILLER 2-SIDER USD $10.95 Buy It Now 1h 41m
If It Makes You Happy / Keep on Growing by Sheryl Crow CD USD $3.47 Buy It Now 1h 44m
TYRONE DAVIS "WAS IT JUST A FEELING / IF YOU HAD A CHANGE IN MIND" 45 USD $3.75 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Not Half stop me if you heard this one before 12inch single USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m

More places to buy IF music online Buy IF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IF If ratings distribution

IF If reviews

Review by mystic fred
4 stars If only..

If were essentially regarded as Britain's answer to Chicago and maybe Blood Sweat & Tears, mixing rock, blues and jazz - but originally with the emphasis on jazz as they were a 7 piece band featuring organ, saxes, flute and drums, bass and lead guitar. The band toured with such diverse artists including Miles Davis, Cream, Traffic and Black Sabbath but never really hit the big time, apparently too jazzy for rock fans but a bit too rock for jazzers. Though they were compared to and sounded much like Chicago and B S & T in places they generally went further in their music and were more innovative than those commercially successful bands, and as a result were less well known outside the UK.

On this their debut album, the opening track "Reaching Out on All Sides" has a very bluesey feel and features the vocals of JW Hodgkinson. The next song "What Did I Say About the Box" which is an outstanding eight-minute instrumental giving each member a chance to show off their solo skills- a Chicago style sound and includes a very Tull sounding flute solo, in my opinion the best track on the album. "What Can a Friend Say" includes good sax solo, builds up to a great guitar solo and finishes off side 1 on my brilliant sounding pink Island album - at the time of writing the band's first four albums have been remastered and reissued on CD so are now easily available.

A big band-sounding "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing is All About)" kicks off on side 2 , followed by a poppy Chicago- sounding song called "Raise the Level of Your Conscious Mind" and the slow reflective "Dockland". The last track on the album "The Promised Land" has a more typical If sound and has a catchy chorus - this may have been a good choice for a single, as it seems to me to be the second best song on the album. The album overall is strong on musicianship but better songs came along on later albums - but a fabulous debut nevertheless!

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars If is England's answer to Chicago or the much less proggy Blood Sweat & Tears, and with no small surprise the UK answer approaches Chicago's quality and easily surpasses BS&T. But comparing If to Chicago is at best unsatisfactory and at worst is misleading: not more instrumental than Chicago (and no trumpet or trombone), If is also less of a straight brass rock outfit, and more of a real jazz rock group, often coming close to Colosseum or Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, than the pure mushy garbage R'nB of BS&T or Electric Flag. The septet is based around wind players Dave Quincy and Dick Morrissey, the main songwriters. The original line-up on this album will remain unchanged much like their US alter-ego Chicago for quite a while.

Starting out on the absolutely delightful Reaching Out On All Sides (also issued as a single), the group shows a real knack for writing inventive jazzy tunes that have a rock edge, while making it interesting for demanding music fans. All Sides comes with a good searing guitar solo, underlined by Mealing's organ, then the saxes come in a very Heckstallian fashion. Hodgkinson's voice is fairly close to Chicago's singer. The lengthy instrumental About The Box is probably the A-side's highlight, with Morrissey's flute drawing a long solo before the two saxes cut away in a Heckstall manner, allowing for Smith's guitar to wallow much like Clempson's did. This second track is probably the most Colosseum-like of the album. Rounding off the first side is the 7-mins What Can A Friend Say, which boasts a very brassy rhythm'n blues, in this case reminiscent of Chicago or The Flock, but boasting yet another stellar electric guitar.

The flipside is made of four shorter tracks, with the rapid 100 mph soul number "Woman, Can You See?" track, where the repeating sax riffs and chorus and a sizzling solo of the same instrument. Conscious Mind did not steal its name, as it is easily the easiest track on the album, this being the attempt at mass exposure via the single. Best forgotten if you ask me. Dockland is a strange and slow (almost doomy) track, which seem to emphasize dark atmospheres, but Smith's guitar is again the main solo instrument, again a bit reminiscent of Hiseman's tribe. The closing Promised Land is an upbeat funky track that contains plenty of intricate arrangements, but cannot escape a pop feel, but positively said. The bonus tracks are no added value as they are the single version of two album tracks, therefore only adding a déjà-entendu feel.

Recently, Repertoire records just re-issued the first two in a mini-lp format, and I only wish they'd get the license to do the same with the next two, but whether this is likely is difficult to say since the first two were issued on Island records, while the next two were on United Artists. In either case, this first album is an absolute must for those wanting to find the perfect link between brass-rock (since If did not have brass instrument proper, but woodwind instruments) and jazz-rock.

Review by apps79
3 stars Important name of the UK jazz rock scene,IF were formed in 1969 by a bunch of experienced jazz musicians,headed by saxophonists Dave Quincy and Dick Morrisey and guitarist Terry Smith.Following the steps of BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO,the band started rehearsing,mixing sounds of brass rock,jazz and early prog in one pack.Finally 1970 sees the band releasing their first eponymous LP (on Island in the UK and Capitol in the US) and touring extensively.

Very much a product of its time,the one foot of ''If'' lies in late-60's jazz and soul,while the other steps intensively into the prog/psych territory.It's rather a work of two different styles packaged in one:most of the vocal parts,led by the strong vocal lines of J.W.Hodgkinson,are close to brass rock and soul with tons of saxes and light basses and an almost pop feeling.The instrumental passages are stunning,regarding the time of the release,with very good interactions,characterized bt driving flutes and sax solos.Terry Smith leads often the way with excellent jazzy chords and not only,there are also plenty of trembling psyc guitars around.Though it might sound a little bit dated to many of you,''If'' is actually an album which will satisfy every fan of early 70's:from the average rocker to the jazz fans and the lovers of psych/prog.An essential forgotten pearl.

Review by snobb
4 stars Strong debut of brass-rock band If is coming from year 1970, what means they were almost British pioneers of brass-rock, besides US bands Chicago and B,S & T. Interesting, If had two sax players, but no trombone or trumpet on board, so their brass sound is different from American bands of the same time.

Another difference - they, even having slight blues roots, in fact are much more jazz band, especially in great high vocals and electric guitar. And they had more space for jazzy improvs in their music as well.

Possibly, their place could be found somewhere between early Chicago and less progressive B,S & T, but with another US brass-rock band - Dreams - jazzy improvs atmosphere. Very competent musically, but possibly a bit lightweight in time ( for rock standards), they were quite successful in UK, but didn't win a US market.

Their debut is possibly their best work, every brass rock fan will listen it with interest and pleasure.

Review by Matti
2 stars Perhaps, if (!) I was more objective, I couldn't rate this so low, but I can't help that this album was a disappointment to me. I have found and enjoyed many Fusion artists recently (including COLOSSEUM which is one of the groups IF are compared to) and naturally I expected to like this British vintage debut too. But I found quite a little here that I wanted to listen multiple times. The problem is not with the music per se, but with my taste which just happens not to favour funky, brassy, souly, bluesy jazz-rock. Neither was I very fond of the vocals.

There were a couple of tracks with the flute up front rather than the saxes, which I liked more, but the whole album just didn't turn me on at all. No wonderful compositions, some OK at best. Skillful playing, definitely, but the aesthetics of this band didn't meet mine very well. So, take my humble opposite opinion (against the six praisings here) just as a notice that you may not enjoy this band as much as you might expect. It's not very progressive, for starters. But if you like (sorry to repeat the names jumping up again and again in previous reviews) the bands such as BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS and CHICAGO, forget my words and hear this yourself.

(I'm not always this subjective in my ratings; that is, for strong musicianship I sometimes give more stars than I actually enjoy the music personally, but I do think that we need shameless subjectivity when we rate albums here. It's the matter of our OWN feelings of the music. Naturally one has to know enough about the musical style/genre in question to make a worthy statement. Fusion IS one of the genres I enjoy. Brass-rock ain't, I admit, and had I known better that it's this style more precisely, I probably wouldn't have borrowed the CD at all - which, on the other hand, is prejudicious...)

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars They "moved the (rock) world just one step on"

Formed in 1969, If had already seen a change of line up (on the drum stool) by the time they came to record their début album released in 1970. Conveniently pigeon-holed as Britain's answer to the jazz rock of Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears, there are in fact noteable differences between If and those bands. The twin saxophones in an otherwise standard rock line up give obvious hints of the band's leanings, but If were perhaps less concerned with catchy hooks and hit singles than their peers from across the pond. That said, there are echoes of David Clayton-Thomas in the fine vocals of J.W. Hodkinson.

The opening "I'm reaching out on all sides" (a track I first came across many years ago on the superb "Bumpers" sampler) actually features the lead guitar of Terry Smith more, the saxes being used to provide colours rather than as a lead instrument. The song makes for a superb introduction to the band. John Mealing, who would later go on to join the Strawbs, lays down a solid Hammond organ base for the instrumental "What Did I Say About the Box, Jack", the longest track on the album. The track offers Dick Morrissey (subsequently Average White band) the chance to display his skills on flute as part of what is a largely jazz workout.

"What Can a Friend Say" reminds me a bit of the Ides of March song "Vehicle". The rock side of the band returns, driven on by some fine gravel vocals, the centre piece of the song being a lengthy sax workout.

The second side of the original LP has four tracks to the first side's three. As might be implied, this means that the songs on this side are generally slightly tighter, although very much in the same vein. "Woman Can You See (What This Big Thing Is All About)" is an upbeat affair, with frantic vocals driven on by a pounding rhythm section and punchy saxes. There are suggestions here of songs such as Chicago's superb "25 or 6 to 4".

The three minute "Raise The Level of Your Conscious Mind" is by far the most accessible song on the album, and might have made a successful single. The track boasts a Guess Who type sing-a-long chorus and a wall of sound backing. "Dockland" slows things down somewhat, the track offering a Traffic like folk/fusion take on painting a picture of a "Dockland scene". The track offers Hodkinson the opportunity to really emphasise his vocal prowess.

The album closes with "The promised land", a track which does lean heavily on Blood Sweat and Tears for its inspiration. Mealing gets a final opportunity to add to fine keyboards to another pulsating jazz rock number.

In all, a fine début from a band who made some excellent music. In some ways, If were unlucky to be around when so many other great bands were trying to make their mark. It is perhaps time now for a reassessment of their excellent music, it deserves far more recognition that it gets.

Review by stefro
4 stars Charting the same jazz-rock course as the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Satisfaction and Trifle and featuring future Foreigner drummer Dennis Elliot amongst their ranks, Britain's If were a talented seven-piece who produced handful of noteworthy albums during the early part of the 1970s, though overall their style was somewhat poppier than the fusion groups who were re-popularizing the jazz genre at that time, the likes of Nucleus, Soft Machine and John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. The First album, titled simply 'If', is undoubtedly their best, with catchy hooks adorning the softly-played jazz rhythms and a strong focus on structured song-writing as opposed to improvisational jams. However, that's not to say If are a pop band per se, far from it, and tracks such as the lengthy, eight-minute 'What Did I Say About The Box Jack?' and the cool instrumental 'Dockland' are testament to If's melding of styles and tones. Their real ace, though, lies in the shape of frontman J. W. Hodgkinson, whose deep, bassy vocals add a whole new dimension to the jazz-rock formula. Vocals in fusion or jazz-rock are difficult to pull of, hence the poppier nature of this material, yet here the combination works beautifully, adding a rich lyrical layer to proceedings. Subsequent albums would repeat the sonic trick with slightly diminishing returns, though both If2 and If3 are still recommended. A graceful, enjoyable and extremely well-crafted debut, this unique mixture of jazz, rock, pop and orchestral flourishes proves a delightful surprise indeed.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

5 stars British seventies jazz-rock group If are not focused on now, not even as much as their contemporaries like Colosseum and Chicago, partly, i think, because the original band split in 1972 unlike Chicago, and did not enact a high profile reunion, like Colosseum did. It is a shame that time has not ... (read more)

Report this review (#902326) | Posted by presdoug | Tuesday, January 29, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Well, the first album of "If" brings probably the best jazz rock album from that early era (when the fusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra was just planned). Great debut and one of my favourite albums begins slowly with unusual rhytm, but later it rises to the agressive, yet beautyful song. All music ... (read more)

Report this review (#133212) | Posted by Hejkal | Wednesday, August 15, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 'IF 1' started short but sparkling story of this british jazz/rock band formed by Dick Morrissey and Terry Smith. It offered kind of music I liked from the very first beats. It's jazzy oriented, but whenever you might feel that they'll go to the pure jazz flow, they'd turn back to more firm roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#130101) | Posted by bsurmano | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IF "If"