MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning In The Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- David Margen / bass
- Graham Lear / drums
- Armando Peraza / timbales, percussion, backing vocals
- Raul Rekow / congas, percussion, backing vocals

Artwork: John Paul Jones with Carlos Santana (design)

LP Columbia - FC 36154 (1979, US)

CD CBS ‎- CDCBS 86098 (1986, Europe)
CD Sony Music ‎- A 756862 (2009, US) Remastered

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

SANTANA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

MarathonMarathon
Columbia 2009
5cd Original Album Classics (Inner S Ecrets/Marathon/Zebop!/Shango/Freedo M)5cd Original Album Classics (Inner S Ecrets/Marathon/Zebop!/Shango/Freedo M)
Box set · Import
Sony Music Canada Inc. 2011
Marathon & ZebopMarathon & Zebop
Columbia 2005
Santana / MarathonSantana / Marathon
Columbia Records
Vinyl$2.79 (used)
Santana LP Marathon - Columbia Records 1979 - Santana LP Marathon - Columbia Records 1979 - "All I Ever Wanted" "Love" "Hard Times"
Columbia Records
Vinyl$239.99

SANTANA-MARATHON (GATE) (ANIV) (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW USD $31.26 Buy It Now
Carlos Santana - Marathon - Vinyl LP USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
SANTANA - MARATHON - COLUMBIA 1979 *NEAR MINT* VINYL LP RECORD (1) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
SANTANA Marathon COLUMBIA VG++/NM- USD $7.70 Buy It Now 1 day
SANTANA - MARATHON, FC 36154 COLUMBIA LP USD $18.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana Amigos/Festival Inner Secrets/Marathon USD $6.47 Buy It Now 1 day
Marathon - Santana LP USD $35.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana Vinyl LP Columbia Records 1979, FC-36154, Marathon ~VG/Gd/VG USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SANTANA MARATHON USD $3.30 [0 bids]
SANTANA Marathon CD UK Issue Made In Austria Columbia 11 Track(4628532) USD $11.74 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA MARATHON 8 TRACK TAPE WITH COLUMBIA SLIP COVER USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $15.98 Buy It Now 3 days
10/11/79MM33 ALBUM ADVERT 15X7" SANTANA : MARATHON USD $13.86 Buy It Now 3 days
3 ALBUM ADVERT 12X7 CARLOS SANTANA, MARATHON USD $10.55 Buy It Now 3 days
Santana Marathon LP Album Vinyl Record CBS86008 A1/B2 Rock 1979 70's USD $21.11 Buy It Now 3 days
Santana {Marathon} AL36154 Vintage 1979 Vinyl LP Record USD $6.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana - Marathon 1979 (NM) VINYL 12" LP USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SANTANA marathon ( rock ) - PROMO - USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA MARATHON - VINYL LP - NOT FOR SALE - DEMONSTRATION - RARE CBS -VGC+++++ USD $55.45 [0 bids]
SANTANA Marathon 1979 UK vinyl LP USD $6.32 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 UK vinyl LP A USD $6.32 Buy It Now 5 days
Santana ?Marathon EX Vinyl FC 36154 Jazz Rock Fusion Lyric Sleeve Original 1979 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
2 SANTANA VINYL LPs - MARATHON + INNER SECRETS - ORIGINALS USD $2.15 [0 bids]
Santana vinyl LP Marathon plays EX with inner 86098 CBS USD $1.97 [0 bids]
Santana Marathon Vinyl LP USD $10.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Santana Marathon FC 36154 Columbia 1979 Jazz Vinyl LP Lyrics Sleeve USD $5.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana " Marathon " UK Press CBS Record Label 1979 USD $7.92 [0 bids]
SANTANA Marathon CSCS 6075 CD JAPAN 1991 OBI USD $68.28 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana Marathon 12" Vinyl Record PC 36154 EX Condition 1979 All I Ever Wanted USD $7.27 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA MARATHON JAPAN USD $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 Columbia LP FC 36154 EXC-/EXC w/lyric sleeve USD $7.22 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS: INNER SECRETS/MARATHON/ZEBOP!/SHANGO/FREEDOM USD $15.71 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana Lp Marathon w Sleeve USD $3.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana : Marathon CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 1979 ORIGINAL PRESS FUSION JAZZ FUNK GREAT COND! VG+/VG!! USD $8.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana - Marathon - CBS 86098 - LP Vinyl Record USD $11.87 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA - MARATHON USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $7.57 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16x12" USD $13.14 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana 3 lp lot Marathon, Zebop, Welcome USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA - MARATHON [30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION] NEW CD USD $17.36 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA lp MARATHON brazil ID# 42454 1979 CBS 138168 VG- NM automat77 rare hard USD $21.00 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA - Marathon Vinyl LP1979 USD $11.82 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana Marathon japanese version Used records USD $53.38 Buy It Now 10 days
Marathon Santana Vinyl Record USD $13.14 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA-MARATHON-LP-NM-COLUMBIA-STAND UP-AQUA MARINE-HARD TIMES-SUMMER LADY USD $9.36 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana Marathon Vinyl Record Album LP 1979 Columbia Very Good FC 36154 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP ORIGINAL ISSUE W/ LYRIC SLEEVE FC 36154 USD $5.98 Buy It Now 10 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $10.02 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana - Marathon LP Vinyl Record USD $10.95 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS: INNER SECRETS/MARATHON/ZEBOP!/SHANGO/FREEDOM USD $13.71 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA MARATHON , CD, EU USD $8.00 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA - Marathon CD Mini LP 2010 Sony Japan SICP-2876 AS NEW! USD $37.74 Buy It Now 11 days
Santana Marathon Excellent Vinyl LP Record CBS 86008 USD $10.56 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA - Marathon (LP) (EX/VG-) USD $15.83 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA - MARATHON NEW CD USD $12.94 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS: INNER SECRETS/MARATHON/ZEBOP!/SHANGO/FREEDOM USD $16.67 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA/MARATHON LP 1979 JAPAN OBI USD $24.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana Marathon Original Press Vinyl Album In Superb Condition USD $9.24 Buy It Now 12 days
27/10/79MM07 ADVERT 15X12" SANTANA : MARATHON ALBUM USD $19.80 Buy It Now 12 days
20/10/79MM19 ADVERT 15X12" SANTANA : MARATHON USD $19.80 Buy It Now 12 days
PROMO / SANTANA MARATHON / WITH PROMO SHEET USD $99.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana Marathon with original inner UK LP USD $3.95 Buy It Now 12 days
Santana Marathon vinyl 1979 Columbia USD $6.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana Marathon LP Columbia Records 36154 VG+ USD $2.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $29.25 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon [New CD] Manufactured On Demand USD $12.97 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon [New CD] Manufactured On Demand USD $13.97 Buy It Now 13 days
Marathon - Santana (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.97 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA-MARATHON CD NEW USD $14.24 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA Marathon EX/VG+ 1979 Columbia FC 36154 Vinyl Rock LP Orig Sleeve Lyrics USD $8.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana Marathon LP CBS 86098 EX/VG 1979 Marathon USD $13.20 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA - Marathon mini lp CD Japan SICP2876 New USD $45.00 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA Marathon LP 1979 Columbia orig w/inner VG+ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana LP "Marathon" Promo 33 RPM vinyl 12 in record album music USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana "Marathon" USD $17.99 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA 4 CD'S CD ZEBOP, GREATEST HITS, MARATHON, SPIRITS DANCING IN THE FLESH USD $14.99 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana 2 LP Lot MARATHON & Abraxas(WHOLESALE ROCK)G+/VG USD $4.12 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA - MARATHON 1979 LP RECORD ALBUM RARE! COLUMBIA USD $10.00 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana - Marathon - with inner -free UK postage USD $16.64 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana Marathon 1979 LP Mint Vinyl USD $6.33 Buy It Now 16 days
[ROCK/POP]~EXC LP~SANTANA~Marathon~{Original 1979~CBS~Issue]~ USD $4.90 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA - Marathon (LP) (EX/VG-) (1) USD $14.51 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Marathon FC 36154 Vinyl LP USD $8.99 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Marathon 1979 33 RPM Vinyl Record USD $9.98 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Vinyl Record LOT 7 Festival Lotus Moonflower Inner Secrets Marathon MORE USD $39.99 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA Marathon FC 36154 <3 Pogo LP Vinyl VG++ Cover Shrink USD $9.99 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 OZ CBS NM/VG+ USD $8.31 Buy It Now 18 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $2.00 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA marathon 1979 UK CBS STEREO LP + INNER USD $10.55 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana - Marathon [New Vinyl LP] Gatefold LP Jacket, Ltd Ed, 180 Gram, Annivers USD $31.25 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA~MARATHON~1979 COLUMBIA LATIN FUNK JAZZ SOUL CLASSIC LP *ORIGINAL COPY* USD $1.97 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana~Marathon & Zebop ~ 8 tracks USD $12.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Marathon [30th Anniversary Edition] by Santana (CD, Oct-2009, Friday Music) USD $23.86 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana Marathon 1979 CBS A/1 B/2 Matrix N.Mint LP Vinyl Album Record USD $25.74 Buy It Now 18 days
Santana-Marathon Japan Import LP Complete w/Obi and Insert Near Mint Nice Copy USD $32.98 Buy It Now 19 days
Santana - Marathon [New Vinyl LP] Gatefold LP Jacket, Ltd Ed, 180 Gram, Annivers USD $34.44 Buy It Now 19 days
Santana Marathon 1979 CBS A1 B1 Lightning in the Sky/Aqua Marine EX Vinyl LP USD $13.19 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON cbs 79 A1 B2 Lp ex+ USD $10.55 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 233 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA - Marathon - CD ** Very Good Condition ** USD $13.49 Buy It Now 19 days

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco à la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.
Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Marathon is probably Santanas most obscure album from the 70´s, and with a good reason. 1979 was probably the most difficult year for classic rock: disco was still a dominating sound , even if it was also fading fast, while critics and rock journalists in general were still spellbound by punk and new wave bands. Like most american bands of the period Santana seemed to take the AOR/melodic rock road that so many other USA bands at the time. In fact, in several tracks from this CD the main influence was a band that included two former Santana members: Journey. Gregg Rollie, Neal Schon and co were by now riding high on the charts after they recruited a new singer, one Steve Perry. So it made some sense the similarities (just listen to You Know That I Love You, the only single released from this album, a typical Journey tune).

So the band had now a singer in the same mold as Perry´s: Alex Lingwood. Like Perry, Lingwood had a tremendous voice that fits perfectly for the new style. Of course the album comes across as very uncharacteristically, although previous year´s Inner Secrets was pointing in that direction already: The latin percussion is kept to a minimum, you hardly hear a conga, there is only two short instrumentals and Carlos Santana guitar playing never sounded so american. The production is very smooth and, unlike several other groups that try to jump into the bandwagon, the songs are generally very good and the performances are impeccable. In other words, they sound convincing, at least most of the time. Just don´t expect the jazz/rock fusion of Welcome or Borboletta, neither their latin/jazz/rock crossover of their early days. This is a very good AOR record, but nothing more. And for some reason it stood well the test of time and is still very enjoyable when I listen to it.

Rating: 3,5 stars.

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"