MARATHON

Good, but non-essential

Buy SANTANA Music
Studio Album, released in 1979

1. Marathon (1:28)
2. Lightning In The Sky (3:52)
3. Aqua Marine (5:35)
4. You Know That I Love You (4:26)
5. All I Ever Wanted (4:03)
6. Stand Up (4:02)
7. Runnin (1:38)
8. Summer Lady (4:23)
9. Love (3:22)
10. Stay (Beside Me) (3:50)
11. Hard Times (3:58)

- David Margen / bass
- Graham Lear / drums
- Armando Peraza / timbales, percussion, backing vocals
- Raul Rekow / congas, percussion, backing vocals

Artwork: John Paul Jones with Carlos Santana (design)

LP Columbia - FC 36154 (1979, US)

CD CBS ‎- CDCBS 86098 (1986, Europe)
CD Sony Music ‎- A 756862 (2009, US) Remastered

Thanks to Sean Trane for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy SANTANA Marathon Music

5cd Original Album Classics (Inner S Ecrets/Marathon/Zebop!/Shango/Freedo M)5cd Original Album Classics (Inner S Ecrets/Marathon/Zebop!/Shango/Freedo M)
Box set
Columbia 2005
Marathon by SantanaMarathon by Santana
Sony Music Entertain
$31.02
Marathon (30th Anniversary Edition)(Original Recording Remastered) by Santana (2009-05-04)Marathon (30th Anniversary Edition)(Original Recording Remastered) by Santana (2009-05-04)
Friday Music
$382.09
"Marathon" - Japanese pressing with Obi strip
Special Limited Edition
CBS-Sony
$239.99

SANTANA Marathon LP USD $7.34 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Viva Carlos (A Supernatural Marathon Celebration, 2006) Santana Tribute USD $9.25 Buy It Now 11h 16m
Santana : 2 x LPs - Inner Secrets/Marathon (1978/1979 originals, EX) USD $10.58 [0 bids]
Santana vg+ LP Marathon USD $5.49 Buy It Now 23h 4m
SANTANA Marathon COLUMBIA VG++/NM- USD $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SANTANA - MARATHON, FC 36154 COLUMBIA LP USD $18.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Marathon - Santana LP Free Shipping! USD $33.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Santana - Marathon UK 1979 LP CBS Records USD $9.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Santana Vinyl LP Columbia Records 1979, FC-36154, Marathon ~VG/Gd/VG USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Marathon - Santana - vinyl LP - CBS - 1971 USD $2.63 [0 bids]
SANTANA - Marathon (1979) Vinyl, LP Columbia FC 36154 Shrink! Jazz Rock EX USD $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Marathon by Santana (CD, Sep-1986, Columbia (USA)) USD $2.00 [2 bids]
Santana Marathon LP Album Vinyl Record CBS86008 A1/B2 Rock 1979 70's USD $19.04 Buy It Now 3 days
SANTANA - MARATHON - 1979 COLUMBIA RECORDS ROCK LP USD $11.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana {Marathon} AL36154 Vintage 1979 Vinyl LP Record USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SANTANA ' MARATHON ' 8 TRACK TAPE CARTRIDGE 1979 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana - Marathon 1979 (NM) VINYL 12" LP USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Marathon Santana vinyl LP album record UK 86098 CBS 1979 USD $18.46 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana ?- Marathon fb8 USD $7.41 [0 bids]
USD $11.12 Buy It Now
SANTANA ~ Marathon ~ VINYL LP USD $3.64 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana Marathon Vinyl USD $7.49 [0 bids]
Santana - Marathon [New CD] Germany - Import USD $10.17 Buy It Now 4 days
Santana - Marathon [New CD] Germany - Import USD $8.51 Buy It Now 4 days
SANTANA marathon ( rock ) - PROMO - USD $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA Vinyl Lp MARATHON W/Inner 1979 Columbia Shrink Beauty! USD $6.33 [0 bids]
Santana-Marathon 12 LP Album 1979 CBS RECORDS 1979 USD $2.63 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 UK vinyl LP USD $7.92 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 UK vinyl LP A USD $7.92 Buy It Now 5 days
Santana ?Marathon EX Vinyl FC 36154 Jazz Rock Fusion Lyric Sleeve Original 1979 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA Marathon Classic Rock RECORD LP VG+ USD $8.00 Buy It Now 5 days
SANTANA * MARATHON * 1979 GERMAN LP """""" NEAR MINT ! USD $15.88 Buy It Now 5 days
VINYL LP Santana - Marathon Columbia FC 36154 shrinkwrap USD $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana Marathon Vinyl LP 1979 Vinyl CBS/Sony, Japan, 25AP 1628 VERY NEAR MINT USD $48.00 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA - MARATHON CD USD $5.93 Buy It Now 6 days
Santana LP "Marathon" Promo 33 RPM vinyl 12 in record album music USD $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
SANTANA - MARATHON : EX+ UK 12" VINYL LP ALBUM CBS 86098 - PRO CLEANED! USD $9.92 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana Marathon BRAND NEW SEALED CD USD $9.49 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana - Marathon - Vinyl LP - CBS 86098 USD $7.26 [0 bids]
SANTANA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS: INNER SECRETS/MARATHON/ZEBOP!/SHANGO/FREEDOM USD $15.83 Buy It Now 7 days
Santana / Marathon / CBS SONY 25AP 1628 / JAPAN Promo Sample LP OBI A5399 USD $25.50 Buy It Now 7 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 1979 ORIGINAL PRESS FUSION JAZZ FUNK GREAT COND! VG+/VG!! USD $8.99 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA marathon (original uk & lyric inner) LP EX+/EX 86098 jazz-rock cbs 1979 USD $18.59 Buy It Now 8 days
SANTANA marathon (original uk & lyric inner) LP EX+/EX 86098 jazz-rock cbs 1979 USD $20.60 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana - Marathon - CBS 86098 - LP Vinyl Record USD $13.22 Buy It Now 8 days
Santana Marathon FC 36154 Columbia 1979 Jazz Vinyl LP Lyrics Sleeve USD $6.45 Buy It Now 8 days
1979 - SANTANA - Marathon - Half Page Press Advert USD $9.92 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana Marathon 12" Vinyl Record PC 36154 EX Condition 1979 All I Ever Wanted USD $7.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana 3 lp lot Marathon, Zebop, Welcome USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Santana, Marathon - Vinyl LP Album (1979, Columbia BL36154) USD $5.95 Buy It Now 9 days
99p SALE Santana Marathon with original inner UK LP USD $1.31 Buy It Now 9 days
SANTANA - Marathon Vinyl LP1979 USD $11.84 Buy It Now 9 days
Marathon Santana Vinyl Record USD $13.16 Buy It Now 10 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP ORIGINAL ISSUE W/ LYRIC SLEEVE FC 36154 USD $5.98 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana - Marathon - Vinyl LP - CBS 86098 USD $14.54 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana - Marathon LP Vinyl Record USD $7.12 Buy It Now 10 days
Santana Marathon Excellent Vinyl LP Record CBS 86008 USD $10.58 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA / MARATHON / ROCK / CBS SONY JAPAN 25AP1628 USD $17.90 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA - MARATHON NEW CD USD $10.16 Buy It Now 11 days
SANTANA Marathon JAPAN CASSETTE 25KP496 PS(flap torn)+INSERT Free S USD $29.99 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA - ORIGINAL ALBUM CLASSICS: INNER SECRETS/MARATHON/ZEBOP!/SHANGO/FREEDOM USD $16.88 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA MARATHON 8 TRACK TAPE WITH COLUMBIA SLIP COVER USD $7.99 Buy It Now 12 days
PROMO / SANTANA MARATHON / WITH PROMO SHEET USD $99.99 Buy It Now 12 days
santana marathon lp USD $8.95 Buy It Now 12 days
Record Santana LP Marathon 1979 Promo NM/VG+ USD $10.95 Buy It Now 12 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 Columbia LP FC 36154 w/ Lyric Sleeve USD $8.95 Buy It Now 13 days
SANTANA - MARATHON - PROMO - JAPAN - JAPANESE- OBI- RARE LP VINYL RECORD-Obie USD $37.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana Marathon vinyl 1979 Columbia USD $6.99 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon [New CD] Manufactured On Demand USD $12.97 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana - Marathon [New CD] Manufactured On Demand USD $11.46 Buy It Now 13 days
Marathon - Santana (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.97 Buy It Now 13 days
Santana-Marathon LP (Play Graded!) Columbia (PC 36154) (1979) USD $12.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana Marathon LP CBS 86098 EX/VG 1979 Marathon USD $13.23 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA MARATHON 1979 RELEASE CLASSIC ROCK VINYL  NEVER PLAYED  LATIN ROCK USD $22.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana ? Marathon ? 1979 Columbia Records Original Press Vinyl LP w/Inserts USD $4.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA Marathon LP 1979 Columbia orig w/inner VG+ USD $4.99 Buy It Now 14 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP ORIGINAL ISSUE W/LYRIC SLEEVE FC 36154 1979 carlos vinyl lp! USD $22.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Santana "Marathon" USD $14.39 Buy It Now 15 days
SANTANA MARATHON ALBUM 12" LP COLUMBIA RECORDS 1979 FC 36154 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 15 days
Santana 8 tracks - Zebop - Marathon - III USD $16.99 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA - MARATHON 1979 LP VINYL RECORD ALBUM RARE! COLUMBIA USD $10.00 Buy It Now 16 days
SANTANA LP (MARATHON) ON CBS 86098 IN NR MINT CONDITION USD $5.95 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana - Marathon - with inner -free UK postage USD $16.67 Buy It Now 16 days
Santana : Marathon CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 17 days
Santana Marathon 1979 33 RPM Vinyl Record USD $8.98 Buy It Now 17 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 OZ CBS NM/VG+ USD $8.16 Buy It Now 18 days
10/11/79MM33 ALBUM ADVERT 15X7" SANTANA : MARATHON USD $19.84 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA Marathon 1979 Columbia LP FC 36154 EXC/EXC+ w/lyric sleeve USD $8.50 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA - MARATHON Cassette USD $3.99 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA marathon 1979 UK CBS STEREO LP + INNER USD $9.25 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA - LOT OF 6 CDs - MOONFLOWER (2CDs),Marathon,Caravanserai Nice!! USD $27.99 Buy It Now 18 days
SANTANA MARATHON cbs 79 A1 B2 Lp ex+ USD $10.57 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP 233 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 19 days
SANTANA MARATHON - VINYL LP - NOT FOR SALE - DEMONSTRATION - RARE CBS -VGC+++++ USD $46.30 Buy It Now 20 days
SANTANA MARATHON LP ~ STILL FACTORY SEALED! USD $299.00 Buy It Now 20 days
SANTANA MARATHON ORIGINAL 1979 VINYL LP CBS RECORDS CANADA EDITION USD $4.99 Buy It Now 20 days
SANTANA Marathon JAPAN CD CSCS-6075 1991 USD $57.15 Buy It Now 20 days
Santana - Marathon CD Mini LP SICP2876 (Japan) New Sealed USD $45.00 Buy It Now 20 days
SANTANA "Marathon" Original 1979 LP Record Album USD $11.95 Buy It Now 20 days
Lot 8 Santana Amigos Inner Secrets Shango Zebop Marathon Moonflower Havana Moon USD $39.49 Buy It Now 21 days
Marathon, Santana, Good USD $9.23 Buy It Now 21 days

More places to buy SANTANA music online Buy SANTANA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

SANTANA Marathon ratings distribution

SANTANA Marathon reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This album is a turning point in Santana's discography: while it was recorded in 79, it is much more representative of the group's 80's output. Due in no small part to singer Alex Litgerwood's arrival (the man had been part of the later 70's Brian Auger's Oblivion Express), the group will change subreptitiously towards the then-very strong AOR sound of the era (semi-west coast laced in with Journey). Graced with an elegant sleeve depicting ancient greek athletes, the album is a fairly deceiving one for progheads.

It all started rather well with the short instrumental intro title track and the excellent Aqua Marine (the longuest track at 5:35), but unfortunately separated by a typical 80's Lightning In The Sky, which does pale in comparison to the tracks sandwiching it. Unfortunately after a strong start, the album does run out of steam (which is a bit of a shame with such an enduring title) and the better tracks might be All i ever Wanted, the other short instrumental Rinnin. The rest is rather uninteresting and there are two stinkers as well: You Know That I Love You (waddya expect with such a stupid title) and Stand Up.

Not really essential, this album is the first one chronologically I wouldn't recommend unless an unconditional Santana fan. In the 70's, they had put out two or three albums which weren't as strong (Festival for example), but this album is weak. I believe that carlos was probably saving his best tracks for his two solo albums sandwiching this album; the divine Oneness and the brilliant Swing Of Delight. Look elsewhere ;-)

Review by Chris S
4 stars And herein enters Alex Ligertwood on vocals. Excellent voice and a mighty fine album released in 1979. He possesses an AOR feel to his sound but of all the era Santana lead vocals, I would have to say that Alex Ligertwood of Brian Auger fame was and is the best to date. Some may argue Gregg Rolie but that is another debate.

The album kicks off with the awesome title track ' Marathon', followed by the commercial ' Lightning in the Sky' My personal favourite follows and is arguably one of Santana's finest instrumentals - ' Aqua Marine', great laid back tempo encapsulating scenes of torquoise waters and dreamy summers....a masterpiece alone.Side two does not hold up as highly as the first side but there are still great songs like ' All I Ever Wanted', the sultry sounds of ' Summer Lady' and the pleading Alex Ligertwood singing ' Stay ( Beside Me ). Great album with a powerful vocalist. CS as usual ( always taken for granted) is simply pure vintage on the guitar throughout Marathon. The best release since Borboletta.

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars I was sure of one thing when I discovered this album : it could not be weaker that the desastrous "Inner Secrets".

They did quite a mistake with the opener and title track : it is a very good but short track (1'27"). With such a name, they could have develop it a bit more, no ? This will appear to be They did already the same with "Live Is A Lady / Holiday" (their best song on "Inner").

With "Lightning", I am afraid I might revise my initial judgement, but let's hear forward. "Aqua Marine" is a dull jazzy instrumental : quite insipid and repetitive. Let's have a bit of disco now with "You Know ..." and "Stand Up" : not good disco ā la Chic or Donna Summer. Just poor disco.

As an early Santana fan, I cannot humanely bear this stuff.

"All I Ever Wanted" tries to be a rocky song, but where is the Santana sound ? Poor again. "Runnin" lasts for only 1'38" but it is more than enough. A useless track (one more).

We are heading the end of the album with the same feeling : how is this possible ? It is not the FM / AOR oriented "Love" that could change my mind (nor the funky / soul "Stay"). We'll get even a hard-rock attempt with "Hard Times" : I bet you I got a hard time in listening to this effort all the way through (and I did it several times for the purpose of this review) !

So, actually Santana has done it ! For the second time in a row they produced a very poor album (but the list is not closed, unfortunately). Same advise as for "Inner Secrets" : avoid it like plague. Same rating : one star.

Review by Gooner
3 stars Santana's "Marathon" has a soft spot in my heart while growing up in rural Canada. My brother had this on LP. I wasn't sure what to think of it at the time, but; I do remember the radio track "All I Ever Wanted" was rather unique with the bongos/timbales compared to what I was hearing on the radio coming out of Detroit at the time (i.e. Bob Seger, Ted Nugent and The Rockets). If you enjoy both the commercial and fusion eras of Santana (comparing early '80s Genesis, Side 'A' being the radio friendly side, Side 'B' being the "progressive" side), this is a great addition to any Santana fan's collection. I may add, this album is worth the price alone for Santana's best instrumental of all time, IMHO - "Aqua Marine". The imagery created in this tune, for me personally...is indescribable. Words like _Sheer beauty_ and _sublime_ come to mind. In conclusion, buying Santana's "Marathon" is on par with buying Camel's "I Can See Your House From Here" for the incredible instrumental "Ice". Few albums can make you fork out $10.00 for one track alone...the aforementioned are the ones. Santana's "Marathon" has a variety of R&B, progressive rock and power rock radio (not unlike Camel's "I.C.S.Y.H.F.H"). I personally give this LP 4**** stars, but; being safe for the discriminating progressive rock listener, I'll give it 3*** stars. Actually, I think any fan of the Alan Parsons Project would thoroughly enjoy Santana - "Marathon" for the production values within.
Review by Gatot
3 stars I have never been a big fan of Santana even though the old albums colored my childhood with songs like "Guajira", "No One To Depend On", "Oye Comova", or "Black Magic Woman". But for some reason I almost purchased any album that Santana produced even though that albums were not quite famous including this one. Well, I only knew this album couple of days ago when I saw the cassette of "Marathon" at secondary market. I had very little attention to have it but as the cassette was quite cheap I finally purchased it. Recently I'd rather listen to music from analog source even though in the form of cassette. Indonesian cassette market in the seventies until mid eighties were booming where many companies record new albums of international bands recorded from the vinyl, illegally. But the record quality was top notch even until today which already 25 years to 35 years old already. So is the case this "Marathon" album by Santana.

I have just realized now that Santana always produced hits because when I play this cassette I find a song that was very popular in late seventies titled "Stay (Beside Me)". This is a number that was famous that period because practically many radio stations played it on air. It's basically a nice song with good straight forward composition. I admire that Carlos Santana did not let his guitar solo dominate the song, but the keyboard / piano instead. All songs basically very good in terms of composition and they flow nicely. The instrumental "Aqua Marine" is also a good one. In terms of favorite song, I would say "Stand Up" continued to "Running" are maybe good ones as the music is quite energetic combined with tight basslines. "Hard Times" is also another good track.

Overall, this is a good album from Santana and do not expect something prog in any song here. But I always enjoy Carlos Santana guitar work as well as the use of percussion in some of the songs in this album. Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Marathon is probably Santanas most obscure album from the 70īs, and with a good reason. 1979 was probably the most difficult year for classic rock: disco was still a dominating sound , even if it was also fading fast, while critics and rock journalists in general were still spellbound by punk and new wave bands. Like most american bands of the period Santana seemed to take the AOR/melodic rock road that so many other USA bands at the time. In fact, in several tracks from this CD the main influence was a band that included two former Santana members: Journey. Gregg Rollie, Neal Schon and co were by now riding high on the charts after they recruited a new singer, one Steve Perry. So it made some sense the similarities (just listen to You Know That I Love You, the only single released from this album, a typical Journey tune).

So the band had now a singer in the same mold as Perryīs: Alex Lingwood. Like Perry, Lingwood had a tremendous voice that fits perfectly for the new style. Of course the album comes across as very uncharacteristically, although previous yearīs Inner Secrets was pointing in that direction already: The latin percussion is kept to a minimum, you hardly hear a conga, there is only two short instrumentals and Carlos Santana guitar playing never sounded so american. The production is very smooth and, unlike several other groups that try to jump into the bandwagon, the songs are generally very good and the performances are impeccable. In other words, they sound convincing, at least most of the time. Just donīt expect the jazz/rock fusion of Welcome or Borboletta, neither their latin/jazz/rock crossover of their early days. This is a very good AOR record, but nothing more. And for some reason it stood well the test of time and is still very enjoyable when I listen to it.

Rating: 3,5 stars.

3 stars This album's pretty good - not great, but not dreadful at all (as some people seem to label it). It's not at all like Santana's early jazz-inspired recordings - Marathon is basically a collection of funky pop songs. There's not a whole heap of Latin influence either - which is quite disappoint ... (read more)

Report this review (#935247) | Posted by zeqexes | Tuesday, March 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Very good album, maybe Santana's last good album. Very rocky in its way (there are latino rhythms, of course, but nos as many as for Abraxas or Festival, for example), Marathon contains some good songs, but none classic. I especially love All I Ever Wanted, Aqua Marine, Lightning In The Sky an ... (read more)

Report this review (#163981) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 15, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of SANTANA "Marathon"