Spock's Beard - Snow CD (album) cover

SNOW

Spock's Beard

Matti
2 stars (13th written review.) I had read some very promising things about SB - comparisons to Gentle Giant etc - before I found "V" from my library some years ago. I was deeply disappointed and didn't even care to have a good second listen as the voice and the hard rocking style was far from how I prefer my prog. If there's complexity, that helps nothing if the overall feeling is not 'right' for you. Three years later I borrowed "Snow". Maybe the concept form and longevity would give me more, I thought.

Well, yes and no. Many tracks were No Thanks within seconds. And the concept didn't really impress me. Comparing it to the LAMB is quite overblown, as the story of an albino man called Snow seems to be quite realistic in comparison. However, I found several tracks quite OK and taped a 20-minute edition from the 2CD album. (I know many proggers think that's very stupid, so what.) Softer pieces like 'Love Beyond Words' - it makes me think of 'Gemini' by Alan Parsons Project - and 'Solitary Soul' even slightly touched me emotionally. Songs like 'Open Wide the Flood Gates' and 'Wind at My Back' gave some spine to my miniversion of Snow, though I found many of them too extended with their repeated choruses. That cassette has remained almost unlistened, but to my surprise my mini-Snow sounded quite nice lately and instead it was among the early 70's stuff by bands like Babe Ruth and Affinity that I didn't like enough on that cassette.

A poor 'review', I know, but this is my relation to SNOW: rejected as a whole, slightly enjoyed of its most accessible, soft-poppish parts. Mr Morse's voice is no longer an issue for me, but what I've heard from the net radio, Spock's Beard - just like Transatlantic or Flower Kings - won't enter my short list of contemporary prog bands up to my taste.

Matti | 2/5 |