Mike Patton - Mondo Cane CD (album) cover

MONDO CANE

Mike Patton

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Mondo Cane is the 5th full-length studio album ( including a couple of soundtracks) by American experimental rock artist Mike Patton. The album was released May 2010 by Ipecac Recordings. The prolific vocalist is assisted by the Filarmonica Arturo Tuscanini orchestra and choir which is conducted by Aldo Sisillo.

Mondo Cane continues a Mike Patton tradition in the sense that you should expect the unexpected. This time the singer has chosen to cover 50s and 60s Italian pop songs backed by an orchestra and a choir. All songs have Italian lyrics. As usual a bold move that Mike Patton more or less pulls off with ease. The man has an extremely versatile vocal style and while it's only Urlo Negro that features some semi-aggressive vocals, we're still presented with a plethora of different "clean" vocal styles on the album. The backing works really well and gives the songs the right atmosphere but it's Mike Patton's vocals that are the center of attention. There's a nostalgic and sentimental atmosphere to most of the songs that really grap my attention, but images of spies and femme fatales also come to mind in the most energetic of the tracks like Che Notte! and the above mentioned Urlo Negro. Mostly the songs are just really warm and pleasant to listen to. A kind of arty easy listening experience.

The sound is warm and the album is very well produced.

I had read a couple of reviews of Mondo Cane before I listened to the album and therefore I wasn't too surprised by the music style, but I didn't expect to enjoy myself as much as I did. While I don't find Mondo Cane to be a revelation in any way a 3.5 star rating is still deserved for a very pleasant and warm album.

UMUR | 3/5 |